• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

european repair company halts repairs of 360s. says problem is endemic

[Nintex]

Slavik81 said:
Yeah. Sony handed Microsoft the victory first. It's not like Microsoft can just hand it back to them.

If there is a recall, the PS3 will definitely grab a solid chunk of sales. But they aren't the only other console on the market...
MS should act now, do a recall and fix all the problems. Otherwise this may backfire at them during the holiday season. I guess the main problem is the stockpiles of unsold machines. I guess they never thought the failure rate would be this high. The quality of the machine is just piss poor compared to other systems, broken DVD drives, bad cooling solutions. I guess the rumored liquid cooling was really neccesary.

Emerson

May contain jokes =>
DenogginizerOS said:
I find it increasingly more frustrating as more stories emerge that the majority of multiplatform developers have positioned their games' development around the X360. I have had some great gaming moments with my X360 and I look forward to Halo 3 and playing more Forza 2. But I will absolutely refuse to buy another X360 if my current system dies. The PS3 versions of games may not look as good as they do on X360 for some releases in the future, but at least I won't feel like I am accelerating the inevitible by playing multiplatform games on my X360. If I have to mothball my X360 until September 25th, then I will do just that.

If you let your 360 sit for months, I wouldn't really expect it to turn on when you come home with Halo 3, frankly.

Satter

Banned
justjohn said:
http://www.micromartltd.co.uk/

XBOX 360 - Micromart has now withdrawn from offering a Repair Service for the dreaded 3 Red Lights fault.

This problem is endemic on the XBox 360 console and the volume has made this repair non-viable.

Other repairs to the XBox 360 are still being supported.

so basically even a repair company you would think would be happy with the business has now stopped repairs on the 360. i think this shit is gonna blow :lol

While I do agree that the 360 is a very shitty product, something tells me that this is a fake site. The customer contact numbers are disconnected and the address come up on Mapquest as non existant. Can someone confirm?

Crateman

RobertM said:
Not sure about PS3, but 360 still loves you.
4lt3fpu.gif

:lol

:lol :lol :lol

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
BenjaminBirdie said:

They seem really together, then.

(The only link on the Link page of this Reputable Repair Company is improperly coded, by the way.)

How could anyone possibly think, knowing what we know and seeing what we have seen inside the console, that the design isn't unusually prone to failure? Microsoft needs to fix it. No amount of, "But people need to buy the great games!" can rationalize away an absolutely shitty design flaw and $6USD manufacturing costs.

Microsoft is LUCKY at this point they haven't had to recall.

Borys

Banned
2-3%

"Ya know, things break"

Where's arne?

How Microsoft gets props for J Allard wanting Kutaragi's head on his desk and gets away with THIS kind of shit is beyond human comprehension.

Their arrogance (Major Nelson's at least) and FUD is slowly creeping past Sony levels.

And they WILL get away with this shit because in September, after Halo 3 launches, MS will PR its launch like noting on this planet. It will totally eclipse 360's pathetic hardware quality.

Razoric said:
I pretty much feel the same way. I'm on my third 360, there will not be a fourth. (my 3rd 360 which i got last month is already increasingly getting more and more disc read errors and freezes which means this one will die in the next 3-4 months im sure).

This is why I refuse to get a 360 until this issue is resolved. I'll be buying games while I wait though!

You know, back when I first heard inklings about X360s having high failure rates, I was like... 'Well, it can't be worse than the PS2...'

bishoptl said:
If you have something to say, sack up and spit it out.

I did. Really. This company can't even code their website correctly. I have no idea whether or not that makes them "reputable" or not, though, but that, along with the fact that said link for as an Internet Search Engine Marketing Company has led me to the conclusion that the company may be interested in the attention they're getting for coming out so strongly, in this addendum to their webpage and in the previous story that featured them, about the 360's failure rates.

Surely that's not that big of a stretch.

Satter said:
While I do agree that the 360 is a very shitty product, something tells me that this is a fake site. The customer contact numbers are disconnected and the address come up on Mapquest as non existant. Can someone confirm?

This seems to confirm my suspicions.

xaosslug

MS better have this prob. fix'd before Halo 3 drops, because if this situation continues on unchecked... it won't be pretty.

Krowley

The more public this becomes, the better for gamers. I want them to be crucified for this so they'll be forced to fix it and I can finaly buy a 360.

Firewire

Banned
Satter said:

I think if it was fake we would have heard something from MS yesterday when the 1500-2500 a day news came out. But alas MS has been silent.
And they probably disconected there phones, to many calls!

syllogism

BenjaminBirdie said:
I did. Really. This company can't even code their website correctly. I have no idea whether or not that makes them "reputable" or not, though, but that, along with the fact that said link for as an Internet Search Engine Marketing Company has led me to the conclusion that the company may be interested in the attention they're getting for coming out so strongly, in this addendum to their webpage and in the previous story that featured them, about the 360's failure rates.

This seems to confirm my suspicions.

It's a console repair company, I'm frankly surprised their website is as slick as it is. Perhaps you've not seen what a typical small time business website looks like.

BenjaminBirdie said:

Give it a rest, dude. Addpro is one of the better search engine submission sites and is used by a shitload of sites that want to get good search engine profiles. The link is for the free program, so obviously they just screwed up the code. Which is hardly rare; I can point you to a number of very serious sites for very serious corporations that were absolutely horrendous in code before we remade them. These kind of accusations need to either be substantiated properly, or you need to drop it.

Razoric

Banned
Domain information:

Domain name:
micromartltd.co.uk

Registrant:
Surfcornwall.com ltd

Registrant type:
UK Individual

Registrant's address:
Natal villas
Par
Cornwall
PL24 2AG
GB

Registrar:
Heart Internet Ltd t/a Heart Internet [Tag = HEARTINTERNET]
URL: http://www.heartinternet.co.uk

Relevant dates:
Registered on: 03-Apr-2006
Renewal date: 03-Apr-2008

Pakkidis

Out of curiosity does anybody know the exact failure rate?

In 3-4 years, xbox360 will be slowly phased out so Im not to sure if its worth it for Microsoft to invest money in fixing this problem.

I also think that people's whose Xbox360 died are very vocal on the message boards making it seem like a bigger problem than it actually is.

If its cheaper to repair/settle lawsuits than to fix the problem then Microsoft will not be fixing the problem anytime soon and considering the way Microsoft has handled the situation it looks like that will be the case.

Tieno

It's funny how such a stupid problem can have such a big impact. If only...
It feels like this is escalating just waiting to blow up in their faces at E3.

DarienA

The black man everyone at Activision can agree on
Razoric said:
Domain information:

Razoric beat me to it(I was just going to post the whois info)... that's some shady looking registration for a company claiming to have been in business for 10 years...

AltogetherAndrews said:
Give it a rest, dude. Addpro is one of the better search engine submission sites and is used by a shitload of sites that want to get good search engine profiles. The link is for the free program, so obviously they just screwed up the code. Which is hardly rare; I can point you to a number of very serious sites for very serious corporations that were absolutely horrendous in code before we remade them. These kind of accusations need to either be substantiated properly, or you need to drop it.

Fair enough.

chubigans

y'all should be ashamed
Pakkidis said:
I also think that people's whose Xbox360 died are very vocal on the message boards making it seem like a bigger problem than it actually is.

This thread is about a company who no longer repairs 360s due to the overwhelming demand.

Not sure how that fits in to your argument there.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
DarienA said:
Razoric beat me to it(I was just going to post the whois info)... that's some shady looking registration for a company claiming to have been in business for 10 years...

I'm not really apt to defend the company because, well, I've never worked with them and I'm not really familiar with them, but it is entirely possible that a small business just established their website last year even though they were open for ten years.

I really don't know much about this group and I've never heard of them (though I guess I never hear much about any company that deals in repairs as they are usually outside contractors).

Jim, look at the listing: MICROMART HO

They are a bunch of hoes.

Dragona Akehi said:
This is why I refuse to get a 360 until this issue is resolved. I'll be buying games while I wait though!
I'm confused. Are you buying 360 games while waiting, or some other games. I hope it's not the former, but I think clarification would be good.

DarienA said:

Because they've been in business for 10 years doesn't necessarily mean that they've had a website for 10 years. Many companies still don't have websites.

Lo-Volt

Dragona Akehi said:
How on earth has MS avoided being slapped with a class action lawsuit in the United States? (I realise this is regarding Britain, but it simply shows the volume of problems.)

The attorney's fees would probably be crippling if the case did not succeed, and Microsoft's legal department is not to be played with from the perspective of a twenty-something, is it?

Mirimar

Someone in this thread was within 30 minutes driving range...and has anybody taken up calling them to confirm the exist(even if it is possibly bogus)?

Pakkidis said:
Out of curiosity does anybody know the exact failure rate?

In 3-4 years, xbox360 will be slowly phased out so Im not to sure if its worth it for Microsoft to invest money in fixing this problem.

If its cheaper to repair/settle lawsuits than to fix the problem then Microsoft will not be fixing the problem anytime soon and considering the way Microsoft has handled the situation it looks like that will be the case.
do you mean phased out for the elite model? Aren't they having similar problems? Not up to speed on XB but when is the move to 65nm?

[Nintex]

Tieno said:
It's funny how such a stupid problem can have such a big impact. If only...
It feels like this is escalating just waiting to blow up in their faces at E3.
That's when the press should show that they're not moneyhatted in any way...

During the E3 conference they should stand up and ask:
"Hey MS, what about all those 360's braking down?"

Most likely none of the journalist will though... all afraid not to be invited to the HALO launch party...

Tieno

Dragona Akehi said:
Why not buy the games when you get the console? They'll probably have dropped in price by then.

DenogginizerOS

BenjaminBirdie's Thomas Jefferson
I find it fitting that on a day when China announces the closing of over a hundred industrial food plants for shoddy practices including presence of industrial solvents in food that the chinese-manufactured X360 has yet another story about high defect rates. Shocking.

Y2Kev said:
I'm not really apt to defend the company because, well, I've never worked with them and I'm not really familiar with them, but it is entirely possible that a small business just established their website last year even though they were open for ten years.

I really don't know much about this group and I've never heard of them (though I guess I never hear much about any company that deals in repairs as they are usually outside contractors).

Yep. We just created a website for a smaller electronics outlet. It was their first website, despite having ran the store for a long time. They'd just now decided that it was time to jump on the internet bandwagon, and even so it took a lot of pressure and lobbying from my associate to get this to happen. I don't know if this company is legit or not, but the accusations brought forth are anything but solid. Not sure why more or less blind accusations like these are allowed to fly here, but whatever

Tieno

[Nintex] said:
That's when the press should show that they're not moneyhatted in any way...

During the E3 conference they should stand up and ask:
"Hey MS, what about all those 360's braking down?"

Most likely none of the journalist will though... all afraid not to be invited to the HALO launch party...
That'd be immature. They need to be professional about this and ask this during the many press moments and interviews Peter Moore or any of the other MS guys do and back it up with evidence like in this thread as much as possible so it's almost impossible for them to back out. Just keep hammering on it until they cave.

tanod

when is my burrito
MassiveAttack said:
"The volume has made this repair non-viable."

Translation: We're so overwhelmed with the number of units arriving that we no longer have the capacity to sustain the repair work required.

Or MS asked them to stop.

bishoptl

Banstick Emeritus
Satter said:
uh huh

10 seconds of work on Google Maps found them, their number and address, plus directions.

KTallguy

Banned
Dragona Akehi said:

Why don't you just wait until you have something to play them on? You're just wasting money right? And unless the game is exceedingly rare, it'll be cheaper if you purchase it later, right?

You must be playing it on a friends 360, right?

Razoric

Banned
So if MS ends up doing a massive recall thus destroying any possibility of the Xbox Division making any profit for the next 3-4 years does this mean Peter Moore is out of a job? :lol

AltogetherAndrews said:
Not sure why more or less blind accusations like these are allowed to fly here, but whatever

I retracted my statements in my response to you agreeing to drop it. If that's not enough, I'll take whatever punishment I've earned.

GhaleonEB

How big is this company? Is it possible that the store is owned/run by someone who is not too web savvy, and kept it a traditional brick and mortar store for most of their 10-year existance? A simple website made in the past few years does not mean it's bogus, just means the owners may have had a very traditional mindset. (I'm assuming this is a pretty small repair shop, if they're teh huge then nevermind.)

Prine

Banned
whats taking them so long to rework the design. its been like this for almost a year.

Are Elites prone to 3 red lights?

bud

Y2Kev said:

Jim, look at the listing: MICROMART HO

They are a bunch of hoes.

that doesn't even necessarily have to the case. there are plenty of companies who have a shitty website and this is just one of them.

justjohn said:
northumberland? sounds like wonderland

FAKE CONFIRMED

BenjaminBirdie said:
I retracted my statements in my response to you agreeing to drop it. If that's not enough, I'll take whatever punishment I've earned.

I wasn't targeting you, dude. Although I think you were a bit quick on the draw there, especially with the Addpro angle, at least you dropped that angle. I don't care about any punishments, I just don't think there's a ton of justification for launching a campaign of skepticism against things that'd point to a problem with 360 hardware, not at this point. And if you are going to do it, at least make sure there is some substance to the argument.

Tieno said:
Why not buy the games when you get the console? They'll probably have dropped in price by then.

Oh definitely, but occasionally I come across a deal and will pick up the game. Did it with my Xbox (I finally have one now!), and it seems to be a good strategy for the 360 too. :p

Top Bottom