• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

European Software Sales: 2013 Top 20 Half-Year Chart (Has actual numbers)

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
great sales for TLOU, I'm really happy about the success of this new IP
and for the sales of Luigi's Mansion too!
Happy to see Nintendo doing good, considering their financial struggles with the Wii U

Phinor

Aren't those Tomb Raider numbers quite decent? I still can't believe they'd say they are disappointed with how that game is selling, considering how near the top it is.

Alrus

Nintendo much have pretty good lower end sales if they're the number 2 publisher with only 2 titles in the top 20.

Luigi Mansion 2 is doing surprisingly well everywhere, I wonder what's its worldwide LTD by now? Should handily outsell the original at least.

44.99€.

Although you can find deals all over (e.g. NSMB2 is €30 on Amazon.it right now), retail chains like malls/supermarkets/etc usually sells the highest percentage by far and, barring special promotions, they usually sell videogames at MSRP.

Same big retail chains actually sell most games lower than the MSRP (Mediamarkt, Saturn, etc etc...). Some other big ones sell it much higher (Fnac, I'm looking at you, 70 euros for a Wii U game? Really?). So I guess it evens out...

RamzaIsCool

The Amiga Brotherhood
Man, impressive showing for TLoU.

Yup, considering it was only out for two weeks, released during the slowest period of the year, is an exclusive and a new IP. Really impressive! That said, it being the only new IP in the top 20 makes me sad.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
It's a bit strange to leave unit sales of <1 unit in the chart. It's probably due to the way they compute these numbers, but still it's a bit strange they are not rounding to whole units..

Wait, so in the span of a mere two weeks The Last of Us managed to make it to fourth place?! That game must be making Sony some mad moolah.

antonz

Nintendo much have pretty good lower end sales if they're the number 2 publisher with only 2 titles in the top 20.

Luigi Mansion 2 is doing surprisingly well everywhere, I wonder what's its worldwide LTD by now? Should handily outsell the original at least.

Same big retail chains actually sell most games lower than the MSRP (Mediamarkt, Saturn, etc etc...). Some other big ones sell it much higher (Fnac, I'm looking at you, 70 euros for a Wii U game? Really?). So I guess it evens out...

Luigi's Mansion 2 is at around 2.18 million units so far worldwide. Massive success for sure.

Daedardus

Animal Crossing sold about 1.2 million copies outside Japan before June 30th. It's strange it didn't manage to do 300,000 in Europe. These figures don't include digital, do they?

SJRB

Gold Member
Holy shit at those Tomb Raider numbers. I knew it was a financial success but I had no idea it sold that much.

And yeah, TLOU numbers are mindblowing. I can't believe I haven't played it yet.

Woah, TLoU sold that much in 2 weeks? Should be well over a million now.

Aren't those Tomb Raider numbers quite decent? I still can't believe they'd say they are disappointed with how that game is selling, considering how near the top it is.

67 million in revenue from Europe alone. This game must have made a tidy profit. SE is like Eidos' strict Asian father. Impossible standards. Never satisfied.

heartening to see Last of Us and Far Cry 3 do so well. Maybe it is time to end the Assassin's Creed machine? Need for Speed used to be way higher, further evidence that racing games aren't as important these day.

RalchAC

So TLOU hasn't dropped in price at all?

Here in Spain, at least, it's still 60-69 euros. If the game keeps selling well at full price, why would retailers drop it?

Far Cry 3 ahead of Bioshock and Crysis, amazing. Crazy numbers for The Last of Us.

Minecraft wouldn't be on a top 20 for revenue unless it did 3x the number 20 game.

Right around Christmas, so it has had serious legs.

Deservedly so, great game.

In the stores I often go FarCry 3 is always in the Top5. I'm used to see it 1st or 2nd in weeks with no releases or small releases like Tales of Xillia.

Fnac is amazing. I've seen 2 years old games still at full price when you can buy it in Amazon for 15 bucks. Or in Game/Gamestop for 25-35. It's laughable.

So great to see TLOU up there already. Fantastic game.

LM2 was at 2.65m worldwide according to the last Quarter report from Nintendo. Yeah it's beating the original and going past 3m LTD when all is said and done.

The Last of Us sold-through numbers in june:
NPD: 985k
EU: 858k
MC: 150k

~2m retail copies sold! No idea if it was released in other territories. Sony reported sales (shipped+digital sales) of 3.4m in early july. TLOU was pretty much sold out everywhere so they exhausted most if not all of their stock. I'm guessing the total shipment was no more than 2.4-2.5m and I'm being optimistic. That would leave an impressive ~1m digital sales.

Mpl90

Two copies sold? That's not a bomb guys, stop trolling!!!
Animal Crossing sold about 1.2 million copies outside Japan before June 30th. It's strange it didn't manage to do 300,000 in Europe. These figures don't include digital, do they?

Not only they don't include digital sales, but they're ordered by revenue, not by units sold: in fact, The Chart shows in higher positions some titles with less sales than the others under them.

And I believe that, probably, there would have been way more Nintendo titles with a Individual SKUs units-based top 20.

Surprised by GoW:A. Going by a lot of people here I thought it bombed, but it is probably over a million WW by now right? Especially once factoring the Console bundle and digital sales.

Sony probably turned a profit on it, but it's done nowhere near the numbers of the previous games. Ghost of Sparta sold about 1.2 million (as of June 2012), so hopefully Ascension will at least do better than that. I thought it was an excellent game which was almost as good as its predecessors, but it definitely felt like the franchise needed a major overhaul next time around, and I had so little interest in the multiplayer I don't think I played it even once.

Kratos going to war with Norse gods would be awesome, and could fit the two worlds colliding easter egg from Ascension. Valhalla colliding with Earth.

I don't know where they should take it next plot-wise (I would like to see a character other than Kratos, at least as the protagonist), but I played Darksiders II shortly after playing Ascension, and I thought SSM would do very well to take inspiration from that game; at least in terms of depth and game design. I really hope the next GoW game doesn't closely follow the same format, with the prescribed linear routes, fixed camera angles and an inability to jump anywhere you're not allowed (Ascension was pretty heavy on the invisible barriers).

Financially speaking, Sony/ND would be crazy not to make another TLOU. I mean, what other new IP performed this well this generation?

Um, Uncharted, Assassin's Creed, Gears of War, BioShock, Red Dead Redemption (basically a new IP), perhaps Mass Effect. Not taking anything away from TLoU of course, because it is an exceptional game and has done incredibly well. I'd be interested to know its sales to date. I think it'll easily sell as much as the Uncharted games (i.e. 5-6 million units).

Foshy

Really surprised that Animal Crossing is not in there, especially as it came out at the same time as TLoU and that one is up at #4.

jvm

Gamasutra.
It will be interesting to compare with any top 20 charts that Nintendo provides in their briefing in October.

Mario007

I don't know about elsewhere, but it dropped in price to around £20 within a couple of weeks of release in the UK. That's pretty much one of the main reasons why it hung around the UK chart as long as it did.
Given the price avarage on GoW it doesn't seem to be a simple result of price cuts.

That's six months of sales across the whole of Europe? Wow, we really don't buy that many games do we?

At least now we can stop puerile saying that the UK market is dead/irrelevant, software sales are down across the board because it's a generation transition.

StiLt

Amazing for TLOU to do that in two weeks.

Must be on track for several million WW.

Well it was sitting at 3.4 million world wide by 9 July according to Sony. Given that it's only been slowly dropping in monthly game charts (only just dropped outside UK top 10 this week) I would say they may have already racked up another mill WW on top of that.

I'm not sure how Nintendo is #2 with their games that low on the charts...they must have a TON of titles just outside the top 20 I'm suspecting

Top Bottom