• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Eurovision Song Contest 2013 - Malmö, Sweden

Status
Not open for further replies.

Rapstah

Oh my God, I can't wait for this year's Apricot Stone/Mister God/Man Boat/Blindfold Backflip. Or the 1997 CGI multicoloured digital people in Ukraine's entry last year. Too much stupid shit.

Peru

Her out of control belting is more hilarious than the CGI dudes.

Starting to get hyped for this year's show. Romania's entry is fantastically silly.

Matt_

World's #1 One Direction Fan: Everyone else in the room can see it, everyone else but you~~~
Euovision is probably my favourite show of the year
The fact that it is smack bang in the middle of my exam period kinda sucks, but I shan't let that detract me from getting off my face

Tempted to put down a bet on some random country, anyone know which place is offering the best odds? Or are they all kinda the same? I'm in the UK btw

Jasup

t.A.T.u featuring the Red Army Choir as Russia's semi-final pre-vote show was.. well.. a memorable sight.

unlike last year, which all were very forgettable.
I'm sorry about the rant but I really do think last year's ESC was horrid from organisational standpoint. It was what you'd expect from out-of-date politicians in Caucasus making an advertisement for modern west European audience.

The presenters were all young, pretty and educated - because Baku has young, pretty and educated people who are enthusiastic about living in Baku (remember the introduction). It doesn't matter they couldn't present shit, as long as you keep up the appearance.

The postcards were designed to show that although Azerbaijan has strong and glorious history and great nature it's still focused on the future. So we got the selection of three historical sights and Flame Towers or Baku city center taking turns for each. It doesn't matter how boring it quickly came, you have to show modern buildings to show how modern you are!

Which brings me to the interval act. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PxltNYwRqBY
Traditional instruments to show culture, and "modern" pop music act to show how in with the times Azerbaijan really is.

It was three shows of playing it safe, avoiding risks or making wrong impressions. And it was boring.

Luckily we had shit like the Social Network Song to keep things interesting.

dude

dude
Our song, Bird by Anouk, is never going to win. Eurovision isn't about 'deep' sounding songs it's about monotone beats and some singing through it.

My country sent a rather cool indie band last years I think, and we didn't even make it to the final.

People who take it so seriously dont understand Eurovision. every single YouTube Video has some Kind of "ermergerd im so embarrassed fuck Eurovision" stuff in the comments section, but in the end it is just Entertainment and good fun!

Lach

I might actually watch again. Swiss Television has an alternate commentary on from a commedien that will probably make fun and ridicule the whole show....

GCX

There's apparently been some controversy about two girls kissing during the Finnish act. I find that kinda hilarious considering this is the gayest show on earth.

Tegris

My prediction of the qualifiers from the first semi final:

Denmark
Russia
Ukraine
Serbia
Austria
Belarus
Netherlands
Slovenia
Ireland
Montenegro

Denmark's is super kitschy, which I like, but that comment on the YouTube video was right: it does kinda sound like the Disney version of Euphoria. Her voice is neat, though; I'd love to hear it over better music.

Norway's would win in an ideal world. It's actually a neat song.
05t3w.gif

Most of the rest are forgettable, but.... wait, is that really Bonnie Tyler?

swwBo.png

and I'm so sorry about Romania, Chris....

1h1LR.png

I don't really like the Euro Songfestival. It's all just horrible, horrible quality. Maybe that's even the charm :p

But this year i will be rooting for Anouk! I don't like her music, but i do like the person.

Jamie OD

I came to the thread to do the same. I'm so sorry everyone.

Finally heard the song on the radio today. It's a Swedish House Mafia knock off which will at least give us a better chance than previous years when we thought Johnny Logan was still relevent.

decaf

I'm going in blind this year with my friends in Japan. How's it looking compared to last year? Don't suppose it's available legitimately anywhere?

oipic

Only Teardrops is stuck in my head now - goddammit.

DEM DRUMS!

I hear you, and share your pain - it's a catchy little number, and has been stuck in my head since the first listen. Three minutes of delightful pop music, and every bit Eurovision. It certainly doesn't hurt that Emmelie is as cute as a button, and has that whole lispy, barefooted Earth-mother pixie thing going on, either.

I know it's the raging favourite, but I reckon there might be an upset on the cards.

Right, I'm on a self-imposed Eurovision media blackout now, until the local Australian broadcaster shows the first semi final on Friday night. Enjoy, GAF. :)

Petrichor

There were about 6 or 7 songs last year better than the entirety of this year's crop. In the absence of any real contenders I can see russia winning just because of political voting.

I honestly don't see only teardrops winning incidentally - its just not immediate enough - catchy after 5 or so listens but that's not quickly enough for the majority of the voting audience, Gravity has a better chance.

Dead Man

I hear you, and share your pain - it's a catchy little number, and has been stuck in my head since the first listen. Three minutes of delightful pop music, and every bit Eurovision. It certainly doesn't hurt that Emmelie is as cute as a button, and has that whole lispy, barefooted Earth-mother pixie thing going on, either.

I know it's the raging favourite, but I reckon there might be an upset on the cards.

Right, I'm on a self-imposed Eurovision media blackout now, until the local Australian broadcaster shows the first semi final on Friday night. Enjoy, GAF. :)

Good idea, I'll join you in that.

Valkyria

Banned
It looks like Spain is trying this year. We have some years in a row that we said, "screw it" and sent the worst we could find.

My prediction of the qualifiers from the first semi final:

Denmark
Russia
Ukraine
Serbia
Austria
Belarus
Netherlands
Slovenia
Ireland
Montenegro

All I heard was healin', feelin', kneelin' but I guess it is better than some of the entries we previously sent to their doom. Hopefully we do get to the next round and then get at least a few points. Everything from 60 points or more is a success :(

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom