• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EVE Online: War breaks out in the North

DrWong

Local in some systems jumped as high as 3600. Local does only count characters, not people, but that's still a lot of logged in accounts in the same space.

Edit: This is the current sovmap:

Most of the north/north-west is CFC aligned. The last Coalition map shows the rough CFC area, although it's a bit out of date with the loss of CO2.
There's a faction/territory/zone called "The Culture"!?

If I was a player I'd choose this one because Iain M. Banks.

D

Deleted member 80556

Unconfirmed Member
Shit, I thought that war was going to break out in a couple of days, not in a matter of freaking hours. Awesome.

Mindlog

Local in some systems jumped as high as 3600. Local does only count characters, not people, but that's still a lot of logged in accounts in the same space.

Edit: This is the current sovmap:

Most of the north/north-west is CFC aligned. The last Coalition map shows the rough CFC area, although it's a bit out of date with the loss of CO2.
I haven't been paying attention, but there is a heavy clockwise component to the Sovmap compared to when I saw it last.

I remember when Goonswarm was in the southeast. They really move around.

Do they constantly loose their space or do they take over other people's space? I remember they attacked the big alliance in the southwest and moved over there too.

I remember when Goonswarm was in the southeast. They really move around.

Do they constantly loose their space or do they take over other people's space? I remember they attacked the big alliance in the southwest and moved over there too.

I'm a little fuzzy on the history but I believe the Goons have been in the Northwest for a long time now, their time in the SE was a long time ago.

Flambe

Yeah, they're now one of the older Alliances in the game.

A great deal of their rise to power had to do with their status as newbies and their ability to field lots and lots of people. I was in the Penny Arcade corp (Merch Industrial) back in the day.

Lol nice, I was in Merchi too back in Epros/Delve invasion days =] Say what you will about the Goons but we had some fun damn fights.

I haven't read much of Empires of Eve yet, but glancing through it, it seems like a monumental work. The hardcover is gorgeous and feels very much like a professional product.

Reishiki

Banned
As a sidenote, TQ was recently upgraded with new server hardware. While there was a lot of 10% time dilation around, we also had moments where 1200 were in system without any at all.

There was at least one CCP Dev in local last night.

Trickster

Man, I always think I want to play this game, but I know I have no time to do so.

The game really doesn't have to take very much of your time if you don't want it to. As long as you're subscribed, you can level up while being offline due to how the skill system works.

For me personally, for pretty much the month before last night, I spend maybe 10-20 minutes on the game per day on average, just logging in and fixing my market orders which I use to earn money. Other than that, I pretty much hadn't played the game for the last month as there was other games and things I was doing.

The battle last night also wasn't some giant marathon event that lasted all day. From we started and until our fleet called it a day, I think it took around 4 hours. So a quick calculation tells me I spend maybe 15 hours over the course of a month playing the game.

Armaros

As a sidenote, TQ was recently upgraded with new server hardware. While there was a lot of 10% time dilation around, we also had moments where 1200 were in system without any at all.

There was at least one CCP Dev in local last night.

Iirc Eve has been used to test new IBM hardware before since its can stress the hardware in a live environment and yet be self contained.

Reading these on EVE online news sites makes it sound like it's a news report.

http://evenews24.com/2016/03/24/val...ees-imperium-forces-suffer-a-crushing-defeat/

Makes the whole thing feel so much more insane from an outsiders view. Also feels like it's a very real story.

edit:
The battle lasted 2 hours and 30 minutes, with Time Dilation being ever present, reaching 10% and remaining firmly there for the entire battle. The system itself hosted 2260 players at the height of the fighting, marking it as the biggest battle since the start of the year.
Allied forces lost 163 ships in the fight, including but not limited to: 18 battleships, 3 strategic cruisers, 6 heavy assault cruisers and 20 cruisers for a total of 19.71 billion ISK lost. Approximately a third of all the losses were incurred by instances of friendly fire, as much confusion reigned in the system.
The Imperium lost 404 ships, including 209 battleships and 28 heavy assault cruisers for a total of 163.61 billion ISK damage.

Reading these I can picture a news reporter saying all this.

edit2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmebefy6XnI

This is apparently the battle that broke CO2

Reishiki

Banned
Reading these on EVE online news sites makes it sound like it's a news report.

http://evenews24.com/2016/03/24/val...ees-imperium-forces-suffer-a-crushing-defeat/

Makes the whole thing feel so much more insane from an outsiders view. Also feels like it's a very real story.

edit:

Reading these I can picture a news reporter saying all this.

edit2:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Gmebefy6XnI

This is apparently the battle that broke CO2

It was quite breathtaking to see unfold. Shadowing fleets around in a cloaky T3 to see the carnage was great.

Doc Holliday

SPOILER: Columbus finds America
I hope one day someone makes a game that has all the freedom and depth of eve, but more accessible. I tried it once but it's so damn time consuming and the actual game play wasn't that fun.

One day maybe I'll really dive in.

Is there any other MMO that has complex politics and economy stuff like this? Most MMOs have the usual guilds and trading but this is a completly different level. Its almost as complex as real life. It's all pretty incredible.

Is there any other MMO that has complex politics and economy stuff like this? Most MMOs have the usual guilds and trading but this is a completly different level. Its almost as complex as real life. It's all pretty incredible.

I've heaed ultima online is the closest to it.

DjRalford

Wow PL going all noob friendly, never thought I'd see the day.

As much as I loved Eve with 2 kids now I just don't have the time to commit anymore, although I did use to love alarm clock ops etc, sad I know, I used to spend about 5hrs a day on eve on my days off work, I'd struggle to get in one nowadays.

Hopefully one day, when both kids are at full time school, I can pickup where I left off, I still have about 35billion isk across my two accounts to spend.

Wow PL going all noob friendly, never thought I'd see the day.

As much as I loved Eve with 2 kids now I just don't have the time to commit anymore, although I did use to love alarm clock ops etc, sad I know, I used to spend about 5hrs a day on eve on my days off work, I'd struggle to get in one nowadays.

Hopefully one day, when both kids are at full time school, I can pickup where I left off, I still have about 35billion isk across my two accounts to spend.

Share? :p

kyser73

I hope one day someone makes a game that has all the freedom and depth of eve, but more accessible. I tried it once but it's so damn time consuming and the actual game play wasn't that fun.

You've hit on one of the deepest issues in game design here.

Bizazedo

I'd love it, but unsure how it'd be mass market successful. Look at the Division and all the pain being expressed due to the Dark Zone.

DMTripper

The game really doesn't have to take very much of your time if you don't want it to. As long as you're subscribed, you can level up while being offline due to how the skill system works.

For me personally, for pretty much the month before last night, I spend maybe 10-20 minutes on the game per day on average, just logging in and fixing my market orders which I use to earn money. Other than that, I pretty much hadn't played the,e game for the last month as there was other games and things I was doing.

The battle last night also wasn't some giant marathon event that lasted all day. From we started and until our fleet called it a day, I think it took around 4 hours. So a quick calculation tells me I spend maybe 15 hours over the course of a month playing the game.

This is quite reassuring, thanks for the post.

I'm going to do a little research...

Elandyll

Banned
Like many I love reading about EvE, but my time playing it was not that interesting I got to say (this being said I am a bit of a loner in MMOs, which is a paradox I know, and it looks like in Eve your success hinges a lot on being part of a corp).

What it looked like from the outside:
my_ultimate_space_battle_mashup_by_johnioan-d5vsyms.jpg

My first impression when starting
imgext.php

My first few days
latest

My feeling every time I was considering getting in low sec or null sec:
swim_with_sharks.jpeg

But I'm still telling myself I might give it another try some day :)

My feeling every time I was considering getting in low sec or null sec:
swim_with_sharks.jpeg

But I'm still telling myself I might give it another try some day :)

this is the perfect imagery of what it's like to fly around in eve.

heck not even just low security and null security (areas where pvp and player aggression has little to no repercussions). Sometimes you still have a sense of distress in the back of your mind because you don't know if theres a suicide group waiting at the other side of that gate in high-security (areas where pvp and player aggression can have repercussions)

but also the crazy thing about so many dangers being present can also act as a safety measure. I.e. everyone knows anything goes in nullsec. thus they tend to avoid it. but all of the best loot is in nullsec. so the more brave pilot can risk going into nullsec and can sometimes be safer than low sec due to the fact there's very few people present. Sure every encounter is dangerous, but sometimes you can spend a long time in nullsec without meeting a soul.

NeOak

TERA had a working politics system with voting per account and PvP for some cases. We even got elected most of the time in the GAF guild. They had plans at launch to make it bigger and better.

They nuked it when the game went F2P.

Reishiki

Banned
This evening, the system of VFK-IV will be coming out of reinforced. While not the capital of Goonswarm (That honour belongs to YA0-XJ, two jumps over), this is sometimes seen as the symbolic capital of Goonswarm and by extension, the Imperium.

It's unclear if fighting will occur in VFK itself or in the surrounding systems, but it's going to be big.

The timers board now has a World War Bee filter here

Top Bottom