• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Even in red states, Progressive candidates are gaining power in the nation’s cities

Piecake

Woodfin, a soft-spoken attorney and former school board member, has spent a whole year on his bid for mayor. In that time, Democrats have been locked out of national power, further diminished in state legislatures and wiped out in rural America. That has left the increasingly blue cities and suburbs as the obvious places for Democrats to attempt to rebuild.

In May, Philadelphia’s progressives helped civil rights attorney Larry Klasner win the Democratic primary for district attorney; if he wins a full term this November, the city’s top legal job will be held by a lawyer who defended members of Black Lives Matter and will refuse to seek the death penalty. In Jackson, Miss., progressive-backed candidate Chokwe Antar Lumumba won the mayor’s office, promising to make Mississippi’s capital “the most radical city on the planet.”

The trend is continuing. Birmingham’s August 22 primary is one of dozens of 2017 races where progressive candidates are trying to climb into power, knitting together community organizers, new activists and the remnants of Sen. Bernie Sanders’s (I-Vt.) presidential bid to form new left-wing majorities.

“The folks at Our Revolution had not done as good a job as they should at touting these things,” Sanders said in an interview. “I believe when we talk about revitalizing American democracy, we start with local offices and grass roots campaigns. The media will talk about congressional races, sure; but I think what we are seeing is a revolution at the local level, in the cities.”

But the new progressive campaigns aim to replace the current Democratic regimes, with their comfortable business community relations, with progressives who want to use what powers they have to redistribute wealth. In Atlanta, State Sen. Vincent Fort (D-Ga.) is running to replace Mayor Kasim Reed by energizing the left. His platform is Sanders on a local scale — a $15 minimum wage, marijuana decriminalization and two years of free tuition at college within the city.

“Twenty years ago, Atlanta, depending on what study you look at, was 20 percent gentrified,” said Fort. “Now we’re 70 percent gentrified. If we don’t start talking about income inequality and affordable housing in a real honest way, we’re going to have a city that’s made of the very wealthy and the very poor, and the middle class is going to get screwed.”

https://www.washingtonpost.com/powe...5a3617c767b_story.html?utm_term=.bad42fe8584d

Cocaloch

Yep. Of course, this is all the more striking by contrast with the rest of the state being deeply red. The urban vs rural struggle is real.

City vs. Country has been one of the core drivers, if not the core driver, of politics since the mid-17th century. Hopefully this cycle will have clued more people into that.

Ogodei

"Large" cities led by Republicans is becoming a shorter list over time, as the main divide increasingly becomes urban v rural.

sphagnum

Banned
In Jackson, Miss., progressive-backed candidate Chokwe Antar Lumumba won the mayor’s office, promising to make Mississippi’s capital “the most radical city on the planet.”

I know nothing about this guy but I like him already.

Dai101

Banned
In Jackson, Miss., progressive-backed candidate Chokwe Antar Lumumba won the mayor’s office, promising to make Mississippi’s capital “the most radical city on the planet.”

Far out, man.

Nephtis

I like that progressive candidates are gaining power, but I hope it doesn't become too overwhelming. It's never a good thing when one side gains too much power. If only conservatism wasn't so extreme nowdays :\

Whatever the case, I hope we can start moving forward in a good direction.

This isn't really anything new. Major cities have always leaned toward more progressive/liberal candidates, while rural/country towns have always leaned more conservative. There's exceptions and minor ebbs and flows, but it's generally this way.

Bronx-Man

Banned
FULLY AUTOMATED
LUXURY
GAY
SPACE COMMUNISM

It was/is going to get worse before it gets better. More than 90 million registered voters didn't vote. The voter turnout is extremely poor in America and it says something about many peoples apathy towards what is going on.

Only when more people get upset, will this apathetic mold dispate. This focus on nazis, might inadvertently awake the left and make people care and fight for what is worth fighting.

But my hunch is that things has to go a lot further before Americans really wake up. The country is still sleeping and seems to be a shadow of itself. This is why the right has been able to sneak up on it.

Cocaloch

Of course, Republicans value state rights over city rights.

The Republicans don't seem to be anything but nominally committed to local government since Reagan. They're committed to empowering whatever positions make their policies have greater effect. The sanctuary city issue is also indicative of this. I have no doubt that if the Dems somehow were able to wrestle control of most state and local politics from the GOP that they would encourage strengthening the federal government.

This isn't really anything new. Major cities have always leaned toward more progressive/liberal candidates, while rural/country towns have always leaned more conservative. There's exceptions and minor ebbs and flows, but it's generally this way.

Correct, but it's still changing, especially as Republicans continue to head into the far-right, go crazy & certain cities gain more people.

29 of the 30 biggest cities in the country have democratic mayors with Oklahoma City being the outliner (shameful). Bigger and diverse usually means more liberal.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Yep. Of course, this is all the more striking by contrast with the rest of the state being deeply red. The urban vs rural struggle is real.

Austin was purple until the late 90s I believe. Now it's strongly blue and the large suburbs are split.

Austin was purple until the late 90s I believe. Now it's strongly blue and the large suburbs are split.

pols_set5.jpg

Vanillalite

Ask me about the GAF Notebook
"Large" cities led by Republicans is becoming a shorter list over time, as the main divide increasingly becomes urban v rural.

Eventually.

Right now it's semi a misnomer as cities≠metro area.

IE the mayor of Atlanta is a black male Democrat. The person that won the special election was a white female Republican from the burbs.

I don't disagree with you in theory, but for now it's less urban vs rural and more city center vs burbs.

Cocaloch

Eventually.

Right now it's semi a misnomer as cities≠metro area.

IE the mayor of Atlanta is a black male Democrat. The person that won the special election was a white female Republican from the burbs.

I don't disagree with you in theory, but for now it's less urban vs rural and more city center vs burbs.

We could meaningfully place suburbs on a spectrum of urbanization with city centers and rural areas. Obviously Urban vs Rural isn't the only thing going on, but it is an undeniably important one.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
What am I watching?

I think he is countering my point with germandered house of reps. Looking at presidential results by county is more accurate. Bush narrowly took Travis county in 2000 but it has gone blue and gotten bluer each election year since. I believe it's around 70% now.

Davilmar

Forgive me for sounding stupid, but why should I care if progressive candidates win in local city elections? Republicans still run the state with elections in statehouses and hold the majority of governorships. They can simply use state power and kill any progressive effort that sufficiently enrages them, much like what we saw in Texas and North Carolina. That gives me little consolation in Florida, where even a somewhat liberal city like Tampa is under the thumb of an overall red state. We need to win state offices and governships, or simply be relegated to conservative forces.

DietRob

i've been begging for over 5 years.
I'm not willing to speculate, get excited, or even believe that taking seats is possible until I see it. Democrats have not proven themselves enough to be relied upon to get to the ballot box.

We desperately need to be as reliable as GOP voters in getting to the ballot box.

MrNelson

Banned
Forgive me for sounding stupid, but why should I care if progressive candidates win in local city elections? Republicans still run the state with elections in statehouses and hold the majority of governorships. They can simply use state power and kill any progressive effort that sufficiently enrages them, much like what we saw in Texas and North Carolina. That gives me little consolation in Florida, where even a somewhat liberal city like Tampa is under the thumb of an overall red state. We need to win state offices and governships, or simply be relegated to conservative forces.
Because you need one to help increase the effectiveness of the other.

This is why people complain when many 3rd party candidates only show up every 4 years for the presidential election, rather than trying to build roots at the city and county level, then use that to build support at higher levels.

I think he is countering my point with germandered house of reps. Looking at presidential results by county is more accurate. Bush narrowly took Travis county in 2000 but it has gone blue and gotten bluer each election year since. I believe it's around 70% now.

Not countering exactly, I'm sure Austin has gotten bluer but fact remains they can get pure blue and it will still be offset by the gerrymandered districts.

Davilmar

Because you need one to help increase the effectiveness of the other.

This is why people complain when many 3rd party candidates only show up every 4 years for the presidential election, rather than trying to build roots at the city and county level, then use that build support at higher levels.

Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't Democrats and liberals been controlling most cities for decades now? We have been achieving the first issue for years now (winning local elections), but have been doing miserably on the secondary issue (winning state offices). The issue with third parties is a weird comparison, since most don't have a foundation in municipal, county, city or other local elections like Democrats have. To say nothing about building support for higher offices, which we still tend to be bad at doing in this day and age.

Link

The Autumn Wind
This should be no surprise. This is exactly the effect Republicans want from gerrymandering: keeping Democrats lumped in a few largely populated blue strongholds, while everywhere else leans red.

zelas

Gerrymandered progressive voters are utilizing their "power" in gerrymandered progressives cities. Color me shocked.

It's good that some dems are deciding to pay attention to more than just the presidency but overall we're going to need a lot more than just a couple of local seats democrats already had.

RPGCrazied

If there is not a complete change over in 2018, I'll give up. Trump is the wake up call everyone needs to get off their asses and vote.

ezrarh

Not sure why some of you guys are bringing up gerrymandering when this is about local elections. There's a lot of things mayors and city council can do for people without the need for state or federal assistance. Hopefully with more progressive candidates out there, we can make some good progress and show how progressive candidates can impact locally. And I'm not talking about progress in the likes of Boulder, Colorado.

Ogodei

Correct me if I am wrong, but haven't Democrats and liberals been controlling most cities for decades now? We have been achieving the first issue for years now (winning local elections), but have been doing miserably on the secondary issue (winning state offices). The issue with third parties is a weird comparison, since most don't have a foundation in municipal, county, city or other local elections like Democrats have. To say nothing about building support for higher offices, which we still tend to be bad at doing in this day and age.

Not quite decades. Giuliani was only in the early 2000s and he was succeeded by a centrist independent. More "liberal" Republicans had a shot at running big cities until relatively recently when the nationalization of the parties only accelerated and city dwellers became more adverse to the notion of the GOP.

State and County governments are becoming more and more obsolete.

We need different laws and political structures for densely populated metropolitan areas.
The fact that State governments can strike down municipal environmental laws, like taxes on plastic bags for example, is wrong.

Top Bottom