• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Bucking Trump, These Cities, States and Companies Commit to Paris Accord

theWB27

Knew Bloomington would be on that list before long. Glad to see Gary there, expect to see Indianapolis soon.

Shitty state overall and I'm glad I'm leaving but there's people with their heads on straight here.

Dammit I wish I was leaving this state too.

This is fantastic but there is one thing that kinda sucks. If these cities and businesses really continue to invest in this sector, they our economy is going to see the boons and growth from that.

While that's a great thing, we all know Trump and republicans will not separate that data and link it properly, instead taking the stance of "see? I told you all pulling out of the accord was a good deal! Look at how much we're growing!"

Fortunately, the places who voted for Trump won't see these booms. It'll only cause further stratification between rural areas and major (often blue) cities, as they'll continue prospering and improving, while the other areas will fall farther behind. Although I feel sorry for people living in blue cities in red states where I can see the state governments preventing local ones from enacting these measures

This is fantastic but there is one thing that kinda sucks. If these cities and businesses really continue to invest in this sector, they our economy is going to see the boons and growth from that.

While that's a great thing, we all know Trump and republicans will not separate that data and link it properly, instead taking the stance of "see? I told you all pulling out of the accord was a good deal! Look at how much we're growing!"

The thing is, that will only work on his base. The same base that would support him no matter what.

daveo42

Banned
Dammit Ohio, not one city on the list yet? I'd expect at least Cincinnati or Columbus, but I'm disappointing by the lack of representation in our state here.

Zubz

Banned
Pittsburgh making me proud. I don't know how he thinks he represents Pittsburgh. The city went 80% Hillary.

He did rallies in surrounding-ish areas; the majority of the state between the two cities is a lot more conservative, so maybe he just genuinely doesn't know much about the city?

Because if he knew anything about Pittsburgh, he'd know we were a smog-covered hell hole until just a few decades back. We should know the need to go green better than anyone.

My guess is that his rally planners put him in economically-drained former coal towns where they're blaming everything on regulations, and not a single-minded focus on a finite/destructive resource (I see a lot of Trump bumper stickers & signs still up just 45 minutes out of the city, so he has supporters out there). He then remembered hearing about Pittsburgh pre-1975, & presumed places like Moon represent the city.

... Which they don't.

marrec

Banned
He did rallies in surrounding-ish areas; the majority of the state between the two cities is a lot more conservative, so maybe he just genuinely doesn't know much about the city?

Because if he knew anything about Pittsburgh, he'd know we were a smog-covered hell hole until just a few decades back. We should know the need to go green better than anyone.

My guess is that his rally planners put him in economically-drained former coal towns where they're blaming everything on regulations, and not a single-minded focus on a finite/destructive resource (I see a lot of Trump bumper stickers & signs still up just 45 minutes out of the city, so he has supporters out there). He then remembered hearing about Pittsburgh pre-1975, & presumed places like Moon represent the city.

... Which they don't.

Maybe they're trying to rope us into this shit because we're in the Stanley Cup finals? Like, I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out why Trump decided to mention the second most liberal city in PA, a city that rejected him and has overall rejected the conservative right...

Maybe that's why?

Mathieran

Banned
Glad to see Durham NC on there. NC has some of the worst republicans in the country but the triangle is a pretty great place despite the GOPs efforts.

Formless

Of course I see Libertarians I know celebrating this as a state/city/business sovereignty thing.

This is good, doubt the administration will get the message tho

Maybe they're trying to rope us into this shit because we're in the Stanley Cup finals? Like, I've been wracking my brain trying to figure out why Trump decided to mention the second most liberal city in PA, a city that rejected him and has overall rejected the conservative right...

Maybe that's why?

Well remember, you're a dark blue patch in a sea of red. That's how it is for most of PA's cities, especially up here in Erie. He does have supporters in the surrounding counties, but not the city proper. Plus he needed a big city that alliterated with Paris, it's not like he's gonna say Pottsville.

Where is Northern Virginia on this list? What gives guys? If I still lived there I'd be making some angry phone calls for sure.

Garlador

Dammit Ohio, not one city on the list yet? I'd expect at least Cincinnati or Columbus, but I'm disappointing by the lack of representation in our state here.
Call your state rep or senator. I just did. Ohio has some congressmen who strongly oppose this.

Jive Turkey

Unconfirmed Member
I think it has more to do with them coming together and creating the climate alliance, an official organisation

Except that they're always among the first (if not the first) to denounce all of the orange turd's legislation, not just the climate related stuff.

Zubz

Banned

Maybe that's why?

... Oh yeah. That's why every exchange I've had for the past week has ended with a "Go Pens!" It's probably a mix of those reasons.

Oppo

Trump really might turn into The Great Uniter, by the end. Not because he has any sense, but because he is becoming a sort of Universal Villain that a great many people can rally against. At enormous cost, don't get me wrong, but I'll take any shred of silver lining about US leadership I can get these days.

Patryn

I gotta give Charlie Baker credit. He was of the first ones to announce commitment to the Paris Accord. Dude clearly is not afraid at all of any possible primary challenge from the right.

I dunno. His statement denouncing Trump was a little weak, and I suspect while he'll definitely live up to the Paris Accord levels, he might hesitate to join the Climate Alliance.

At the same time, he's currently the most popular governor in the United States. I think he knows that anyone to the right of him challenging would be stupid, because they'd lose in the general.

RoKKeR

Happy to see my cities on this list, and generally encouraged by the responses of these entities in the face of idiotic leadership.

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Red states? Not that I know of. At least one blue state with a Republican governor (Massachusetts) has signed on though.
Since it is the governer to decide this, I would count that as a red state in this context. Thank you. I hope there will be quite a few republicans joining this, because it is important that this cause is supported by a huge base in the most powerful country of the world.

Auraela

Banned
When companies ate going against ur president and know its the right thing going foreard..you know urself you fucked up somewhere. But trump will just be like these fake companys the fake media going ahainst wah wah wah

Yoshi

Headmaster of Console Warrior Jugendstrafanstalt
Most cities are liberal/democrat even in red states. Houston and Austin (both blue, both have Democrats for mayors) from Texas are on the list.

Well, I would then count them as democratic, because it were democrats who had to decide this.

Top Bottom