• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Than 200 US Mayors Revolt Over Paris Agreement Withdrawal

kimbaka

Surprised to see my city there. Good stuff Cary Glickstein. Too bad Rick Scott is a useless turd who denies climate change.

Swig_

Glad to see a couple of Utah cities on the list, even though it's basically Salt Lake City and Park City, which aren't surprising. Wish there were more.

I am so, sooooooo glad that line from the speech backfired. As with everything else Trump it's a 100% self-inflicted wound. The statement from Pittsburgh's major was out before Trump's speech was even over!

My favorite thing about Trump pulling out of the accords and all these mayors saying "screw you" is that the Republicans can't fight against it without giving up their "but small government is better!" stance. This kind of thing is exactly why states and cities get to have their own government.

I think this shows the world that not all Americans are nuts, but I think the 2018 and 2020 elections are going to be the big deciding factor on whether we get to play ball on the world stage anymore.

dabig2

Baltimore is a glaring omission from the list. Mayor Pugh is worthless.

Yeah, what's the story here? Baltimore should've been in the top 50. Richmond, DC, Philly, Alexandria, Allentown, and Pittsburgh but no Baltimore? WTF? The only places on the list in Maryland are DC suburbs...

Schlep

I notice San Antonio isn't on the list. Nor is Fort Worth - but Ft. Worth is solid red. Along with the Dallas suburb cities, which are quite large, but skew red.

Eh, the city of Fort Worth itself is pretty evenly split and might even lean blue. It's the suburbs and rural parts of Tarrant that push the county red.

It'd be interesting to see the population totals from the list, to see what % of Americans will be following the accords.

Crunched the numbers. The following data uses 2016 population estimates for most cities and states, with a handful using 2015 numbers. City population data is city proper, not metro area, so realistically the actual numbers are higher.

United States of America total population (2017):

Combined population of United States Climate Alliance member states:
102,169,711 (31.4%)

Combined population of United States Climate Alliance member states + prospective members:
149,995,781 (46.1%)

Combined populations of United States cities committed to backing the Paris agreement:
54,048,964 (16.6%)

Combined populations of USCA member states + committed cities not part of USCA member states:
129,089,578 (39.7%)

Combined populations of USCA member states + USCA prospective members + committed cities not part of USCA member/prospective member states:
171,074,715 (52.6%)

Again, city population data is city proper, not metro area, so realistically the actual numbers are higher.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
World leaders don't influence him. How are a bunch of mayors going to do anything

Trump and crew are gonna try and spin leaving the Paris Accords as a good thing supported by America. This spits in the face at this attempt though they're going to attempt it anyway because they seem just that dense and foolish. That and of course it will infuriate him all the more and keep him off balance as ever which is always a good thing.

World leaders don't influence him. How are a bunch of mayors going to do anything

You don't need to influence him. These Mayor and States are doing this independently of the Federal government. Sure it'd be easier if they helped, but they are willing to go without them.

I think you're looking at it the wrong way in this instance. What's important (at least from an optics standpoint) in this situation isn't whether local politicians influence Trump, but if Trump influences local politicians. That the message reaches the local populace is most significant.

Hall of Shame:
Kansas
Kentucky
Mississippi
Nebraska
New Hampshire
North Dakota
Oklahoma
South Dakota
West Virginia
Wyoming

The above states have no committed cities, and are neither members of, nor prospective members of, the US Climate Alliance.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Hall of Shame:
Kansas
Kentucky
Mississippi
Nebraska
Nevada
New Hampshire
North Dakota
Oklahoma
South Dakota
West Virginia
Wyoming

The above states have no committed cities, and are neither members of, nor prospective members of, the US Climate Alliance.

I'm not surprised at a single one of those except New Hampshire.

KodaRuss

Big cities in TX are generally Democratic. Dallas, Austin, Houston. And San Antonio, although the split is quite a bit closer there. El Paso went to Trump. Huh.

I notice San Antonio isn't on the list. Nor is Fort Worth - but Ft. Worth is solid red. Along with the Dallas suburb cities, which are quite large, but skew red.

Glad to see the major ones on here.

I live in Tarrant County now so I wish Fort Worth would wake up but they wont. They wonder why they are second fiddle to Dallas, its for things like this.

Damaniel

Banned

I figured that at least one of Reno/Sparks or Vegas might get on board, but I'm not surprised by any of the rest. Even NH - they have a bit of a libertarian streak, and libertarians hate climate agreements most of all.

jmdajr

Cities and States are gonna push the agenda without him. If you believe in "state rights", get out the way and let us advance the country.

Sens. Jeanne Shaheen and Maggie Hassan, as well as Reps. Annie Kuster and Carol Shea-Porter have publicly condemned the withdrawal, but Gov. Chris Sununu says he stands by Trump despite 'not knowing how he feels' about the decision. I'm not overly familiar with NH, but it seems like it's on the governor being a dick more than anything.

Edit: Nevada shouldn't be on there, not sure how that one slipped through.

It's great to see all four of the major TN cities on this list. It's very rare that I can be proud of my state, but this and the free 2 year college thing Haslam managed to get through really made me proud of my state. We'll fuck it, I know, especially since I'm sure Lamar Alexander and Diane Black will win their midterm elections by landslides despite the fact that are some of the most vile pieces of shit to ever sit in a Congress seat.

Nice list. Hopefully they follow through by fighting NIMBYs and encouraging high-density transit-oriented development that can take cars off the road.

I feel like this is mostly virtue signaling though and things will be business as usual despite this "alliance". Are they planning to raise taxes to contribute the $3 billion Obama pledged to the Paris climate fund?

Top Bottom