• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

More Than 200 US Mayors Revolt Over Paris Agreement Withdrawal

Gallbaro

Banned
Nice list. Hopefully they follow through by fighting NIMBYs and encouraging high-density transit-oriented development that can take cars off the road.

I feel like this is mostly virtue signaling though and things will be business as usual despite this "alliance". Are they planning to raise taxes to contribute the $3 billion Obama pledged to the Paris climate fund?
Lol, they won't. Most of them will continue to be horrible polluters. Look at Berkely.

Nice list. Hopefully they follow through by fighting NIMBYs and encouraging high-density transit-oriented development that can take cars off the road.

I feel like this is mostly virtue signaling though and things will be business as usual despite this "alliance". Are they planning to raise taxes to contribute the $3 billion Obama pledged to the Paris climate fund?

Well, unfortunately, much like the President, Mayors and Governments don't have infinite power, and will have to tango with local governments. In a lot of red states, mayors may be all about this, but on the state-level, they are going to hit hard against GOP Houses and Senates.

Crunched the numbers. The following data uses 2016 population estimates for most cities and states, with a handful using 2015 numbers. City population data is city proper, not metro area, so realistically the actual numbers are higher.

United States of America total population (2017):

Combined population of United States Climate Alliance member states:
92,286,387 (28.4%)

Combined population of United States Climate Alliance member states + prospective members:
149,995,781 (46.1%)

Combined populations of United States cities committed to backing the Paris agreement:
54,048,964 (16.6%)

Combined populations of USCA member states + committed cities not part of USCA member states:
120,761,025 (37.1%)

Combined populations of USCA member states + USCA prospective members + committed cities not part of USCA member/prospective member states:
171,074,715 (52.6%)

Again, city population data is city proper, not metro area, so realistically the actual numbers are higher.

I love you dude. I was going to do this after I finished family responsibilities if no one else had done it yet. High five for sure.

Baltimore is a glaring omission from the list. Mayor Pugh is worthless.

Yeah, what's the story here? Baltimore should've been in the top 50. Richmond, DC, Philly, Alexandria, Allentown, and Pittsburgh but no Baltimore? WTF? The only places on the list in Maryland are DC suburbs...

Baltimore has actually pledged support, albeit separately. And it's worth noting that the state of Maryland is currently a prospective member for joining the United States Climate Alliance.

There are actually a few cities that have voiced support for the agreement, and even committed to follow it, that have done so separately from the ever-growing alliance of Mayors listed in the OP.

Saying 200 mayors does sound more impressive than saying 13 states...
123 of these mayors represent cities not within USCA member states. The number was actually higher earlier (127), as at the time the OP was posted there were only 10 USCA members, not 13.

Additionally, 90 of the listed mayors represent cities within states that haven't expressed any interest in joining the USCA.

I emailed my mayor today, but I'm out of town for a while so I can't personally go lobby for this right now. Deeply disappointed we're not on the list yet.

Gallbaro

Banned
Mayor Glenn Hendricks
City of Sunnyvale, CA

Sunnyvale is already breaking their pledge.

http://www.mercurynews.com/2017/05/...chler-neighborhood-will-be-single-story-only/

The council's April 25 vote rezoned 29 contiguous single-family homes from low-density residential to low-density residential single story. The neighborhood is bounded by Sunnyvale East Channel on the west side, Flamingo Way on the east side, Dunholme Way on the south side and includes Firebird Way.

According to staff, only two of the 29 homeowners were opposed to the rezoning, 17 were in support and the rest were neutral or did not indicate their preference.

However, that level of support did not sway the planning commission, which voted 4-3 in March to recommend the council deny the request, citing concerns over the neighborhood boundary and perceived lack of public interest. The commission also felt the request was ”not in the public interest" and was too restrictive.

The plurality of Sunnyvale's emissions come from transportation.

.J.

Banned
Forgive my ignorance, but in what way are cities upholding the Paris Accords? And is there any real reason to encourage a small town mayor to do so? I would like a list of things we can push for, but I'm a bit confused and it seems too specific a question to just google.

RinsFury

This is great, please keep it going! I dream of seeing every city and every level of government in open revolt against this monstrous piece of shit. Strangle him inch by inch.

Gallbaro

Banned
Forgive my ignorance, but in what way are cities upholding the Paris Accords? And is there any real reason to encourage a small town mayor to do so? I would like a list of things we can push for, but I'm a bit confused and it seems too specific a question to just google.

Density. Density. Density.

American suburbs are the worst polluters on the planet.

Izayoi

Banned
Crunched the numbers. The following data uses 2016 population estimates for most cities and states, with a handful using 2015 numbers. City population data is city proper, not metro area, so realistically the actual numbers are higher.

United States of America total population (2017):

Combined population of United States Climate Alliance member states:
102,169,711 (31.4%)

Combined population of United States Climate Alliance member states + prospective members:
149,995,781 (46.1%)

Combined populations of United States cities committed to backing the Paris agreement:
54,048,964 (16.6%)

Combined populations of USCA member states + committed cities not part of USCA member states:
129,089,578 (39.7%)

Combined populations of USCA member states + USCA prospective members + committed cities not part of USCA member/prospective member states:
171,074,715 (52.6%)

Again, city population data is city proper, not metro area, so realistically the actual numbers are higher.
You are awesome. Quoting for posterity.

z5JVBch.jpg

wedca

Nice to see my city on there. Tennessee is not a particularly wealthy state so often things that can be seen as promoting business get a lot of leeway since there is desperation to bring jobs to the state.

Baltimore has actually pledged support, albeit separately. And it's worth noting that the state of Maryland is currently a prospective member for joining the United States Climate Alliance.

There are actually a few cities that have voiced support for the agreement, and even committed to follow it, that have done so separately from the ever-growing alliance of Mayors listed in the OP.
Ok thanks for this info. I don't feel so bad now.

teh_pwn

"Saturated fat causes heart disease as much as Brawndo is what plants crave."
Glad to see some sense in Texas. The mayors there are on point. Good job.

Most major cities lean left. Austin in particular is significantly more liberal the the national average. For example in 2008, 64% voted for Obama. In 2016, 66% for Clinton.

Top Bottom