• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ever Oasis |OT| Secret of ActRaiser in the Desert aka This Year's Other Egyptian ARPG

Currygan

at last, for christ's sake
Thank god there are no more 3DS games coming after that.

*looks around*

*sees EO V, SMT Strange Journey Redux, Radiant Historia Perfect Chronology, Kirby, Pokémanz, and Sushi Striker peeking around the corner*

*faints*

Damn i had forgot about Radiant. There's also that 7th Dragon game, DQVIII, the last Ace Attorney, River City whatevs, Switch games, more like Never Oasis amirite

One of the hosts of The Polygon Show said she couldn't play Ever Oasis for more than 10 minutes without falling asleep. (paraphrasing) "Ever Oasis is a great game to play if you want to black out and wake up the next day"
I assume by that they think it is boring? Really couldn't disagree more, it's quite charming and it's not like we get a ton of games like this.

kunonabi

Copy just arrived. Between Fire Emblem, SMTIV:A, Picross 2, Metroid in September and this I'm drowning whelp

In addition to my copy of Ever Oasis that just came in I'm sitting on:

7th Dragon III Code: VFD
Corpse Party
Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes
Rune Factory IV
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns
Style Savvy: Fashion Forward

and I'm buying all the big 3DS releases on the way aside from Pokémon.

Silly me, I actually thought this was going to be a quiet year where I could just focus on PS4 and retro games.

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Even though I'm trying to save money I gave in and bought this---hope it's the next Codename S.T.E.A.M., a game I took a chance on and ended up loving despite the low reviews.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
Game is great. Getting new residents is pretty straightforward but managing the Oasis is not.

Managing the oasis will require a lot of items. You need those items to restock the shops that you build. And you can use those items to craft weapons/clothes/accessories and to trade for new items.
That sounds kinda complicated. Whats the outlook on farming for needed materials in the not bad to so bad scale?

Parshias7

That sounds kinda complicated. Whats the outlook on farming for needed materials in the not bad to so bad scale?

So far the items used to restock the shops haven't been an issue at all. I easily have 30-40 of some of the monster or cactus drops that fuel the shops with 1 item = 5 inventory. The other ones I've seen are things that are easily farmed as long as you remember to buy the seeds from the merchant.

Equipment materials seem a bit more uncommon, but I really haven't had to farm for anything yet.

MicH

I have yet to run out of materials to stock the shops and that's just from normal questing and harvesting my garden crops. The materials are common enough that I haven't had an issue yet, but it could possibly change later.

taoofjord

Mine arrived but I won't dig into it for a few weeks. Really excited though, I'm thrilled is game came out in the west. Reminds me of the PS2 era.

Ollie Pooch

In a perfect world, we'd all be homersexual
I'm avoiding this as Fantasy Life consumed my soul. Not sure how long I should hold out - are there lots of skills to level up etc? That stuff is like crack to me.

adroit

I find a lot in the oasis by blowing away sand piles or using gale on glowing spots that sometimes pop up in the pool under the tree by your house.

How did you find out about getting stuff from that pool with gale? Just tried it? Or did the game explain it and I just forgot it? Because I don't think I would have ever figured this out without reading your post. Thanks for the help.

Got my copy arriving today, but I won't play it for awhile due to it being between Arms, RPG Maker FES, Zelda DLC, and Splatoon 2. This month send help.

Will plan to start it around late August/early September. I hope it sells well since I want Grezzo to succeed. Love the Zelda remakes and Tri Force Heroes. It just seems like the game is being sent to die. Barely any advertising and again, between two big first party games + DLC on Switch.

Best of luck Grezzo and I can't wait to play it, but I want to fully focus on it when I do so that will be later. Have fun everyone!
*Says I'm not starting it until atleast late August because of all the games.
*Starts it today anywayz.

Halp. This will be 5 major games between Arms, Ever Oasis, RPG Maker FES, Zelda DLC 1, and Splatoon 2 in ONE MONTHS TIME. I'M NOT READY.

Well besides me not being able to control myself when it comes to starting games, I'm enjoying it so far. Just got to the desert and have two residents so far. Some things are abit eh, too many tutorials but overall like the game. Very charming characters.

Blues1990

This game is really cute (it's the "I want to hug all the characters until they turn blue" level of cute), but it's definitely a slow burn. I do hope things start to kick off sooner than later.

Doorman

Wound up playing through around four and a half hours straight tonight, it's definitely a slow starter but oddly engaging almost despite that. Got through the first major dungeon and it's at this point that it feels like the game's really opening up more with the ability to form full parties and having to start planning for who to take along and who to keep back running shops. Keeping everything stocked really hasn't been a problem yet aside from the garden's starting fruit-output being a bit low, and by the time those demands ramp up with a bigger oasis, more tools will be put in place to delegate a lot of that basic farming stuff to other people anyway, so I feel like the micromanagement isn't going to ever get that overwhelming. It kind of reminds me of the farming/duplicating structures put into Monster Hunter games, where your need to gather and produce basic stuff is eventually made much quicker and easier.

Overall the game's really charming so far, although I do feel like the main impetus to kick things off is oddly glossed over a bit quickly in terms of how the player character reacts to it. Overall I guess I just feel like, as in many other cases, there's no real value had in going with a silent protagonist for this game, since it makes all the resident interactions feel slightly more hollow than their real potential. Really, "potential" is just the key word that sticks with me so far, I want to see this particular game continue to grow, and hopefully a sequel that can ramp everything up even further. There's a lot to like here in the way the game balances town and party development.

Played until my battery died. There's definitely something good here. Reviews made me think the game would be a little less complex, but I'm finding totally engrossing.

TheMoon

I assume by that they think it is boring? Really couldn't disagree more, it's quite charming and it's not like we get a ton of games like this.

Only one of them played it and hates it, the others just pile on. A big ol' "let's make fun of a game (most of us haven't played)" fest.

I really need to pick up Fantasy Life at some point.

Thats a great game. Really awesome, especially if you can round up a partner and you play in tandem, complimenting each other's jobs.

As for Ever Oasis, I'm really digging it :) still firmly in the tutorial stages, I just unlocked the
rainbow protection
, which would have been nice to have when I ventured into the desert at night and was set upon by snakes -_- haha. I think I'm going to love this though, very charming!

How did you find out about getting stuff from that pool with gale? Just tried it? Or did the game explain it and I just forgot it? Because I don't think I would have ever figured this out without reading your post. Thanks for the help.

Esna told me this within the first half hour, just by chatting to her after visiting for an event :)

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Man, I would've bought this game had it been on Switch. I may go ahead and buy this but just getting a Switch last week really turns me off from my 3DS. I think I'll give it a try, it seems like a unique original idea.

Lindsay

Dot Hacked
With all the Fantasy Life praise is that a game still worth looking into? I had my eye on it years ago but never ended up taking the risk of actually buying it.

So far the items used to restock the shops haven't been an issue at all. I easily have 30-40 of some of the monster or cactus drops that fuel the shops with 1 item = 5 inventory. The other ones I've seen are things that are easily farmed as long as you remember to buy the seeds from the merchant.

Equipment materials seem a bit more uncommon, but I really haven't had to farm for anything yet.
I have yet to run out of materials to stock the shops and that's just from normal questing and harvesting my garden crops. The materials are common enough that I haven't had an issue yet, but it could possibly change later.
Oh what? Had no idea there was farming-farming! That'll be another nice lil distraction I'm sure. Good ta hear that general item farming and shop upkeep doesn't seem to be overly grindy.

The water fairy mentioned it at some point, but it was very much in passing and I thought she meant the pool by the entry to the oasis at first.

A little later you can trade for them w the merchant, too....

Forward

Man, I would've bought this game had it been on Switch. I may go ahead and buy this but just getting a Switch last week really turns me off from my 3DS. I think I'll give it a try, it seems like a unique original idea.

I am glad I have a 3DS. There are SO MANY excellent games on it, such as this one, that it makes owning one a sheer joy. Games like this come out exclusively for the 3DS because they are best suited for the 3DS. Games that are exclusive to the Switch are so because they are best suited for it.

Effect

If one is enjoying this then yes Fantasy Life is worth picking up. I really need to go back to that at some point.

Only a little into Ever Oasis but so far this thing is super charming and cute. There is easily room for this in everyone's life.

With all the Fantasy Life praise is that a game still worth looking into? I had my eye on it years ago but never ended up taking the risk of actually buying it.

For sure, it's a really fantastic experience with a lot of content and depth. They really nailed the way the lifes funnel into and support each other. Nature of the camera angle makes it a little bit of an easier going combat wise, since you don't have to fumble with your view at all. I wouldn't say these games are exactly the same as each other but I can definitely see where a love for the art style or charm of one might lead you to enjoy the other.

Almost ready to dive in!

9T1imqh.jpg

LeonSPBR

Not bad at all. Enemies drop items a lot, and objects that can be broken gives items practically every time. So no farming needed. Just break every item you see when you go out and you'll be fine.

Still wondering about that 20 hour comment... While i would kinda appreciate a shorter game right now, that still seems somewhat short for this genre...unless they mean straight story playthrough without post game/side content etc.?

Tom_Cody

I started playing the demo this morning and I'll really impressed with the game's charm thus far. I can't wait to finish the demo and then move onto the main game.

Shaldome

I like it so far. Although I have a feeling from my progress so far, that it will be a relative short game. At least at the moment the levelling up of the oasis and all other progress seems to come quit fast. Will probably post some more impressions later.

In the meantime have some Noot pic:

WVW69kay4ikRsTmdRM

adroit

Esna told me this within the first half hour, just by chatting to her after visiting for an event :)

The water fairy mentioned it at some point, but it was very much in passing and I thought she meant the pool by the entry to the oasis at first.

I started a second save file to find when she talked about using gale to harvest goodies from the water. And I learned that she only mentions it if you talk to her repeatedly and she happens to randomly mention it. For crying out loud. In my first save file I was only talking to her when I had a reason to talk to her. So I was *never* going to get the tip about using gale to harvest stuff from the water. Lesson learned: talk everyone's head off. Anne with an "E" on Netflix is a good role model.

Doorman

Yeah...if it grabs you, this game turns super-engaging. I just had to force myself to stop after just rolling through another like 5 or 6 hours when I'd only intended to play for one. It's got that notion of "oh I'll just do this one more little thing" down pat and since most tasks taken by themselves never feel like a huge endeavor, it becomes way too easy to fall into that trap. Head to that one cave to pick up the thing you need to recruit this new resident, so that you can build their shop which you need to convince this other person to move in too...and ooh that gets you enough people to level the oasis up again, not to mention that that second person to move in also has a rumor about spotting someone in a cave on their way here, so you might as well go check that out too, see if you can get them to move in next...and now my Saturday is over. Gaah.

Also the serkah mouths freak me out a lot.

Adam Prime

hates soccer, is Mexican
Alright, downloaded it.

I figure if it's not for me, my daughter will probably enjoy it, she's 9 and loves Animal Crossing and Zelda.

adroit

It's curious that the rainbow protection falls a few points regardless of everyone being happy and having a stocked store. Is that how the game forces you to keep advancing the story? Or am I doing something wrong or overlooking something?

maxcriden

In addition to my copy of Ever Oasis that just came in I'm sitting on:

7th Dragon III Code: VFD
Corpse Party
Dragon Quest VII
Dragon Quest VIII
Fire Emblem Echoes: Shadows of Valentia
The Legend of Zelda: Triforce Heroes
Rune Factory IV
Shin Megami Tensei IV: Apocalypse
Story of Seasons: Trio of Towns
Style Savvy: Fashion Forward

and I'm buying all the big 3DS releases on the way aside from Pokémon.

Silly me, I actually thought this was going to be a quiet year where I could just focus on PS4 and retro games.

TFH is really under-appreciated... Since you and I had IIRC similar issues with BOTW I think you'll like the dungeon design in this one (in MP at least, can't vouch for the SP experience as I haven't played it that way)

Damn i had forgot about Radiant. There's also that 7th Dragon game, DQVIII, the last Ace Attorney, River City whatevs, Switch games, more like Never Oasis amirite

All these and the ones Moon said and Lady Layton... 3DS getting mad support this year.

Only one of them played it and hates it, the others just pile on. A big ol' "let's make fun of a game (most of us haven't played)" fest.

Lovely -__-

Is it a fix, or does it add something?

I'm not sure, the official word was that "adjustments were made for a more pleasant experience" lol, bumped it up to 1.1

I played waaaay more than I meant to today. Made it to the
Serkah Settlement
. This game is fiendish in terms of introducing a new thing just as you finish up something else. It's hard to put down. Trying to remember where I got a broken seed, I have one, need three for a new sword >_<

Watch Da Birdie

I buy cakes for myself on my birthday it's not weird lots of people do it I bet
Four hours in and this game is pretty fun.

I just got the ability to construct a party, but it seems there's a lot of stuff to do like building up relationships with villagers (will this scratch that S-Link itch left behind by Persona 5?) and so far the flow has been repetitive, but endearing. I especially love how items fly right to you instead of making you pick them up---recently Fire Emblem Echoes annoyed the fuck out of me as you have to pick up items in dungeons after they fall out of pots which is pointless busywork, but this game respecting your time is nice. The ability to instantly warp to town, save, and pick right back up in the dungeon is nice too. It offsets the "busy work" element of this game when everything is so user-friendly.

I'm having fun with the dungeons too, nothing too deep but some decent little puzzles here and there and the combat isn't anything too deep but quick enough to not drag on---I feel like Grezzo totally is ready to tackle an original Zelda though, switching between characters seems like a great gimmick to go with utilizing the Zelda race.

Hope to play more of this game, it might be a sleeper hit!

WARNING IF YOU WANNA BUY FANTASY LIFE BECAUSE OF THIS GAME

GO RETAIL!

For whatever reason Level 5 disabled back-up saves, so if you go digital you have to keep the game on your SD Card forever or you'll lose your save---when I discovered that it killed my interest in the game completely.

Oh boy, I hate that shit. Anyway, the game is great so far. Lots of systems but none of them are overly complex and they introduce them at a manageable pace.

Hngg. Just bought this game today after being pretty reluctant to, though now after reading some of the posts in here I think it may have been a good purchase. I won't be able to play till some time next week, but I'm excited to dig in.

Wish me luck!

About two hours in and I'm already hopelessly addicted. The gameplay loop is great and it just keeps introducing new mechanics without getting cumbersome. The dungeons are pretty robust too, a lot of spots I want to come back and check out later. The combat is actually challenging, if you don't dodge enemies will end you pretty quickly.

tuffy

WARNING IF YOU WANNA BUY FANTASY LIFE BECAUSE OF THIS GAME

GO RETAIL!

For whatever reason Level 5 disabled back-up saves, so if you go digital you have to keep the game on your SD Card forever or you'll lose your save---when I discovered that it killed my interest in the game completely.
For what it's worth, that won't make any difference. Whether cartridge or eShop, Fantasy Life always stores its entire save file to the SD card. There should be a way to delete the game and preserve its save file though, in case one wants to re-download it later.

Shaldome

[...] Trying to remember where I got a broken seed, I have one, need three for a new sword >_<

I do not know if you are still looking for it, but it may also help other people: in the Synthesis menu you can select the item you want to create and press Y twice and it will show you the region and necessary skill for all the needed component (e.g. mining).

Later on you can build expeditions containing non seedlings who will get back with a ton of resources, when they are successfully.

Top Bottom