• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every issue of Nintendo Power has been uploaded to archive.org

Cess007

CN is still going? Holy shit...

Yes and is still one of the most popular magazines in latin america (and is still pretty bad).

Didn't they turned into bi-monthly magazine? I remember reading something that the monthly release will stop.

I recall it turning bland during the later years of the Gamecube era. By the Wii's time it ended up too dumbed down for my tastes and I stopped caring. However, the N64 years were great. Many a winner joke and, given the intended demographic, an enjoyably rich vocabulary. Them were the times.

Oh man, I loved their N64 era. I remember going to the local store and buying the magazine every single month for years. Reading about Perfect Dark and Majora's Mask there was quite an experience.

Teuoxton

This takes me back, scouring the cheats section for codes, reading the Super Metroid comic....

I still have a couple issues in my basement but those are creased and edgeworn. It's nice to see them archived!

Lothar

Banned
Seeing the Super Mario 3 cover in the mail was the most excited I can remember something making me as a kid.

That made me feel like Cartman wanting to freeze himself until the game came out. The wait seemed endless.

If you weren't that young, imagine being an 8 year old and having playing only Super Mario Bros 1 and 2 and then flip though that issue.

I still remember every Summer how I'd get close to when I thought my new issue would come, and I'd sit at the window every day around the time the mail would come so I could check for it.

Oh shit, I used to have such a huge collection of these. I think they might still be at my parents' place somewhere. This is going to be fun.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I'm happy this is easily available online. I knew there were torrents of CBRs floating around, but who could be bothered. Now I can just check them any time.

NoKisum

I don't see it being likely, here. I mean, it's not like you can actually buy/download these issues any more, and so, putting them up for free takes money away from Nintendo.
Yeah but they were once paid items from Nintendo as well. Lost money from not getting fans to rebuy old issues directly from Nintendo out of nostalgia. That's why it seems likely we'll see a C&D order on this.

GE8cijm.jpg

The 90's sure were a crazy time. Someone should use both the Mega Man and Rush faces as avatars.

This is the first issue I recall having. Games were so mysterious back then, getting each new issue was so exciting.

BocoDragon

Gamecube on blast?

I love that system
GameCube was well into the Internet era, though.

I'm sure some kids loved that era, but you have to understand that NP was the main point of contact between 80s/90s kids and gaming fandom itself. No internet... Just a magazine dropped from the gods on high.

Erdrick

This takes me back... The issue in July or August 1991, with the Mega Man II Game Boy cover, I read that over and over that summer. The DQIII section in that was such a tease at the time. Sure, it spoiled the game, essentially, but I was salivating over the game evern further after reading it. I went to so many stores looking for that game, SNES be damned at the time. Unfortunately, I wouldn't play the game until mid-February 1992 via rental and then finally buy the game in September of 1992.

This magazine was the hype machine for NES games back then. They could promote stuff like no one else at the time.

See also the madness that was SMB3's hype.

Begaria

I've been skimming through the archive all day. I completely forgot how much of a marketing tool Nintendo Power and how it was more like a strategy guide than a magazine in the early days. So nostalgic.

So many of these covers are immediately recognizable. Funny the amount of relatively useless stuff our brains keep locked away.

I would love to see a Super Mario game in this clay style. Pretty much doable with the tech at this point.

BocoDragon

So many of these covers are immediately recognizable. Funny the amount of relatively useless stuff our brains keep locked away.

I would love to see a Super Mario game in this clay style. Pretty much doable with the tech at this point.
They just made a clay Kirby game, so it's doable.

Shig

Strap on your hooker ...
Welp, time to go back and read through those old Mario and Starfox comics.

I really loved the art they displayed prominently in the various header sections, too, which was never the same thing twice. One of the coolest things about old game mags is how much original art they integrated to really give them a unique character you couldn't find anywhere else. Game mags moving more and more into just cutting and pasting the same screenshots and official art you could find any ol' where is where they lost their magic.

Chittagong

Gold Member
https://archive.org/stream/Nintendo_Power_Issue_085_June_1996#page/n31/mode/2up

This early version of Wave Race 64 looks really sad. Where da waves at?

Probably the same place as the jet skis in this version

https://archive.org/stream/Nintendo_Power_Issue_080_January_1996#page/n29/mode/2up

Wow, early Super NES logo had the bottom bar colours reversed

https://archive.org/details/Nintendo_Power_Issue_026_July_1991

And prototype US Super NES controller didn't have convex buttons, even though they were purple

https://archive.org/stream/Nintendo_Power_Issue_027_August_1991#page/n69/mode/2up

Top Bottom