• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every issue of Nintendo Power has been uploaded to archive.org

God, during the 1990-1993 era, this magazine was just downright addictive.

I always remember though, during that sort of 1995-1996 interim, where the Saturn and PS1 were already out but the "Ultra 64" was still in development, layout duties changed from Japan to the U.S. and the magazine got kind of cluttered and ugly-looking (when the logo became 3D-rendered), and it just seemed like every issue was a combination of trying to sound excited about the Virtual Boy, printing endless coverage of the same N64 games that either wouldn't be out for a year-plus (if ever -- still technically waiting on an official North American release of what used to be Earthbound 64), and printing overlong articles on completely middling SNES and Game Boy licensed stuff after the North American market had faded on both of those platforms.

Then Pokemon happened and took over every issue and while the magazine had a second wind, I felt too old for all of it! (I still owned Blue anyway)

AColdDay

Wow, I still remember how cool I thought the illustrations were that Jeffrey Scott Campbell made for that make your own video game contest featured in issue 6. Always thought that kid had talent so I just googled his name and turns out he went on to become a comic book artist.

Matt Bozon (who would go on to work for Wayforward) is also featured in the letters section.

SkyOdin

Looking back at those old issues, I am reminded of how The Legend of Zelda series completely dominated the top 20 charts on a continual basis. A Link to the Past in particular never left the top 3 for something like six or seven years.

aett

QXaRrNw.png

Some of these artist interpretations of JRPG characters/creatures are really something else. The FFIV stuff was especially crazy.

Voror

Oh snap, that's great. I've actually got pretty much all the ones I had starting from grade school (I think the first issue I got had the N64 Spider-Man game as the cover) till I stopped. I don't really read them anymore but it was nice to have nonetheless.

Chittagong

Gold Member
God, during the 1990-1993 era, this magazine was just downright addictive.

I always remember though, during that sort of 1995-1996 interim, where the Saturn and PS1 were already out but the "Ultra 64" was still in development, layout duties changed from Japan to the U.S. and the magazine got kind of cluttered and ugly-looking (when the logo became 3D-rendered), and it just seemed like every issue was a combination of trying to sound excited about the Virtual Boy, printing endless coverage of the same N64 games that either wouldn't be out for a year-plus (if ever -- still technically waiting on an official North American release of what used to be Earthbound 64), and printing overlong articles on completely middling SNES and Game Boy licensed stuff after the North American market had faded on both of those platforms.

Then Pokemon happened and took over every issue and while the magazine had a second wind, I felt too old for all of it! (I still owned Blue anyway)

Whoa whoa whoa hold on, Nintendo Power was designed in Japan originally? I remember their sudden Kai's Power Tools / 3D craze mid 1990s, but always preferred the earlier look.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
Whoa whoa whoa hold on, Nintendo Power was designed in Japan originally? I remember their sudden Kai's Power Tools / 3D craze mid 1990s, but always preferred the earlier look.
Yeah. There was a Retronauts about it.

The layout is basically the same as..... I want to say Famitsu?

Anyway it's a very Japanese 80s magazine style.

Chittagong

Gold Member
Yeah. There was a Retronauts about it.

The layout is basically the same as..... I want to say Famitsu?

Anyway it's a very Japanese 80s magazine style.

Fantastic, thanks! Listening now while browsing the archive, magical!

Interesting by the way how begrudgingly they covered Super NES in 1991. One or two game features only each month, nearly no coverage on the hardware. Mostly they just focused on NES and GB. You could tell which was paying the bills.

Who's the artist for the old issues? I love the art for the Dragon Quest and FF2 articles. That art is really what got me interested in the games back in the day!

DeepEnigma

Gold Member

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
QXaRrNw.png

Some of these artist interpretations of JRPG characters/creatures are really something else. The FFIV stuff was especially crazy.
I remember going back to this issue after playing FFVI and becoming familiar with Moogles and being like "what the fuck".

It still kind of blows my mind that Secret of Mana has Moogles in it. But maybe I shouldn't be surprised since the series started as an FF spinoff (it says so right on the Japanese cart of Seiken Densetsu 1 before you assume I'm talking about the American FF Adventure naming)

JSoup

Banned
I think I just came a little.
I've been looking for a full archive since the magazine closed shop.
Edit: Wait, doesn't look like every. It looks like the same archive I've seen on every other torrent site. There is a bigger archive out there that cuts off at 160.

AColdDay

Whoa! Thanks for this post. Them nostalgia feels. I had every issue from the first in 1988, until January 1995, lol.

You can download the .pdf file (or other files) on there and print them for personal use.

Though that would be a lot of color ink spent.

I would want them professionally printed and bound, to be honest. There is probably no way to make that happen :(

I downloaded a PDF version of one of the magazines, but the compression on images was really noticeable. The largest file format available to download it in is "Comic Book RAR" - is there a reader anyone would recommend for Windows?

I tried downloading these as well as some Next Generation issues a while back, and they look pretty "off" on iPad, when viewing the PDFs through iBooks. Anyone know why?

Chittagong

Gold Member
Whoa, I just learned they had actually an advertising agency called Griffes Advertising design all those iconic bespoke early 90s covers for the magazine. So much effort each month.

Shikamaru Ninja

任天堂 の 忍者
There's only 145 issues uploaded, Nintendo Power ran until issue #285. So this is not every issue unless i'm missing something.

The final years of NP were pretty sad.

First, they started doing a LOT of advertising in the pages, something they held off on for many years.

They got handed off to the other crew, so it was no longer the original team. The features were gone. No more tips and tricks. No contests. No comics. No more in-depth previews of games. It was just reviews of games and garbage. The reviews were fine, tough, even, especially considering it was Nintendo-sponsored.

I had a subscription since the Fun Club, but finally killed it off during their final year. It wasn't an easy decision, but I wasn't enjoying it anymore. About 6 to 7 months later, they announced it was ending. Kinda sad.

Someone should use the Final Fantasy Guidebook and play through using that.

The Nintendo Power FF Player's Guide? I did use it, playing through FF1 for the first time on the NES version via the Wii Virtual Console around 2010 or so. I never would have known what half of the spells did (or were *supposed* to do, at least) without it. I feel like the maps probably also kept me from wasting a lot of time, inasmuch as it's possible to keep from wasting time in an RPG where basically between every dungeon I had to buy 99 potions one-by-one individually to keep from getting game overs.

One thing I was always impressed by as a kid was the quality of the magazine itself. They used...I don't know what the term is...but the kind of binding that creates a flat side that you can read when stacked. The paper and inks were also high quality, with (if I remember correctly) thick stock paper and vibrant colors. It was something that you couldn't wait to get in the mail, and that quality added to the experience of the content.

BriGuy

I still have most of these up until about 1998 or so sitting in a closet at my parents' house. There was nothing quite like Nintendo Power back in the late 80's to early 90's. Just flip through some of them. They were innocence in its purest form. The lead up to and the glory days of the SNES have never been replicated for me.

SolVanderlyn

Thanos acquires the fully powered Infinity Gauntlet in The Avengers: Infinity War, but loses when all the superheroes team up together to stop him.
lMOcUJo.jpg

Pre-GAF hyperbole

Can I also mention that I feel like the short-lived George & Rob reviews read a lot better as an adult than as a screenshot-obsessed kid? The sections were so text-heavy, but I feel like their assessments were about as forthright as Nintendo Power reviews ever got during the early days. Of course, if you read NP enough, you would wind up being able to discern fairly quickly when Nintendo Power's coverage of a game was intending to damn it with faint praise. Now there's a skill that's proven useful in adulthood!

Very cool. I actually cut out every comic that was included in those issues, and I have a large binder with all the loose pages in folders and stuff. I want to get them bound, I just found out you could do that. I'll gladly look through these old issues, my inner child is screaming to flip through them one more time.

You know what they don't come with though?! A sweet Donkey Kong Country iron on shirt design logo thingy! Yea so what big whoop I don't know what they are called wannafiteaboudit??!

Yo, holy crap! It's always kind of been a dream of mine to own a physical copy of as many NP issues as I can, but this is the next best thing! I'm practically drowning in nostalgia over here!

Real talk, Nintendo needs to bring Nintendo Power back during the NX's lifespan. Not having them around for the Wii U and most of the 3DS was a real shame. Whenever a new game came out, I always thought it was such a shame I'd never get to know what the NP crew thought of it. Especially sad they never got to cover Smash 4 and its crazy prelaunch, launch, and postlaunch eras.

Lothar

Banned
Is there an issue featuring Chrono Trigger, I would love to read it.

https://www.chronocompendium.com/Term/Nintendo_Power_Coverage.html

These previews made me get the game on day one. It already let me know it was one of the best games ever before it came out.

"As the biggest and best RPG nears its release date"
"Destined to be the biggest game ever."
"A new standard for RPGs."
"Chrono Trigger makes dramatic improvements in graphics and sound over just about every previous traditional RPG."
"It improves on Final Fantasy in every area. In fact, once you begin playing Chrono Trigger, you'll wonder how you were ever happy with anything less."
"As for the music, it challenges Donkey Kong Country and Killer Instinct for the best of any video game."
"If all this sounds a little too good to be true, that's what we thought too until we started playing it and fell in love with it."
"If you love FF3, Mana, or Zelda, Chrono Trigger is guaranteed to become your new passion."

Top Bottom