• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every PS4 won't come bundled with an EyeToy after all? Image Inside.

Seanspeed

Banned
That, too. To make such an accessory mandatory is beyond ridiculous. I can't believe that the Xbox One will not even work unless Kinect is hooked up. It's not very considerate of the consumer.
Because Kinect isn't an accessory anymore. Its a core part of the system and vision that Microsoft has for the capabilities of the Xbox One. Knowing every consumer has it hooked up and available to use opens up a lot of doors, and with the impressive tech behind it, it could actually be really interesting. Its pushing innovation.

If Sony dont really believe in the Eye that much and dont see it as a core peripheral, then yea, maybe dont include it. But really, why did they even bother then? Its just going to be an afterthought and likely wont do very well and will only receive half-assed support.

Bgamer90

Banned
Heh, this goes against what a few previous articles said.

Anyway, this is good for those that don't want it but this more than likely means that the PS Eye camera will be a "me too" feature with not that much support.

Doubt that the majority of people here care about that though.

Tadger

Banned
That's fine and dandy, mate.

But for gamers who only want a gaming machine, or who want as much a gaming machine as possible, they can rest in solace knowing that the lion's share of their 400~500 quid is going towards a gaming machine.

Given the specs, PS4 gamers are definitely getting more of a gaming machine. I would like a 50% more powerful GPU over some TV features any day.

Send my best regards to the missus though.

Mate my bro works for AMD, you are not getting a console that's spec benchmark is that much higher. MS SoC has been made very cleverly, don't expect these 50% performance gaps. Or even 33% for that matter.

BigDug13

I'm still trying to figure out what games that hardcore gamers enjoy would really benefit from a camera facing you. I'm actually pretty shocked with how many disappointed posts there are. People actually liked Move, Kinect, and the casual Wii Waggle games? I thought the vast, vast majority of GAF hated those gimmicks and just wanted a controller in their hands.

I honestly hope that Sony would move more into the direction of eventual Oculus Rift support rather than a stupid camera that only serves to inflate the system costs.

I hate games that make me jump around and shout at the TV, especially if it's shoehorned in to game genres that don't need it. Now I know that gimmicks in my favorite genres won't happen on PS4 and that makes me happy.

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Given the fact the the new PS4 controller already has Move technology built in. I'd sooner the camera was bundled in. It would be cheaper then buying a PS4 and a separate camera.

Because Kinect isn't an accessory anymore. Its a core part of the system and vision that Microsoft has for the capabilities of the Xbox One. Knowing every consumer has it hooked up and available to use opens up a lot of doors, and with the impressive tech behind it, it could actually be really interesting. Its pushing innovation.

If Sony dont really believe in the Eye that much and dont see it as a core peripheral, then yea, maybe dont include it. But really, why did they even bother then? Its just going to be an afterthought and likely wont do very well and will only receive half-assed support.

It wasn't an afterthought. They do believe in it. But something had to give when they upped the ram from 4gb to 8. And that was what gave way.

But like I said earlier in this thread it's only in the US that it for sure is not a pack in. I've heard that 'several' EU territories will have it included. I think the reason for this is twofold... many of those territories Sony dominates so they can get away with it... but also in the EU they have a much larger kid demo than they do in the US.

And the approach of packing it in where they can and keeping costs down in territories where that will be more important is pretty damn brilliant. It means there will be enough of them out there for developers to support it (which will then spur on sales of it as an accessory) but it doesn't force it on people who don't want it. Like me. I want nothing to do with that thing.

Wow, that is actually GREAT NEWS imo.

$399 is definetely possible, and I'd even say it will be the actual price
or maybe Pachter got it right @ $349? One can dream...

cyberheater

PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 PS4 Xbone PS4 PS4
Mate my bro works for AMD, you are not getting a console that's spec benchmark is that much higher. MS SoC has been made very cleverly, don't expect these 50% performance gaps. Or even 33% for that matter.

Very interesting. Spill the beans man. You can't just say that and leave it at that...

synce

I suppose it's good news but what about the fact the camera may be required. You can buy a wiimote but without the nunchuck you're not going to get very far

sneaky77

It wasn't an afterthought. They do believe in it. But something had to give when they upped the ram from 4gb to 8. And that was what gave way.

But like I said earlier in this thread it's only in the US that it for sure is not a pack in. I've heard that 'several' EU territories will have it included. I think the reason for this is twofold... many of those territories Sony dominates so they can get away with it... but also in the EU they have a much larger kid demo than they do in the US.

And the approach of packing it in where they can and keeping costs down in territories where that will be more important is pretty damn brilliant. It means there will be enough of them out there for developers to support it (which will then spur on sales of it as an accessory) but it doesn't force it on people who don't want it. Like me. I want nothing to do with that thing.

All he is saying is that if its sold separately then developers cannot assume everyone has one so it will get half assed support.

Your not grasping how percentages work is making this even more believable.

Do tell!

cyberheater

Wow, that is actually GREAT NEWS imo.

$399 is definetely possible, and I'd even say it will be the actual price
or maybe Pachter got it right @ $349? One can dream...

Yes. You'll be able to buy a 8 core X86 machine with 8Gb of GDDR5 memory, a big hard drive, a modern GPU and a controller for less then $350. It's entirely possible.

ironcreed

Banned

Indeed, it was an accessory that was optional for those who wanted one, but now it's being forced whether one wants it or not. Many of us don't like the idea of having to mount a bulky camera on our televisions just to be able to use the system period, nor do we have any use for it in general. The least Microsoft could have done is let people use the system without having the damn thing connected. You can't make people like something by forcing it. '

Bunta

Fujiwara Tofu Shop

24465971.jpg

All he is saying is that if its sold separately then developers cannot assume everyone has one so it will get half assed support.

Personally I'm fine with half assed support. I would prefer that zero development time was wasted on this or kinect.

But since Kinect support is universal and in most games will be simple gestures and voice commands... for those of you that want such things on the PS4 there's no reason to assume that wouldn't be ported over. There will be enough of them on day one and the accessory will sell. The old wives tale of "accessories don't sell!" isn't true. The kinect and the move (to a lesser extent) proved that wrong.

Bgamer90

Banned
I feel like the more standard functionality the better, even if it costs a little more. How much would it add to the price, realistically?

I'm guessing it would have added about $50 to the price of the system.

I'm still trying to figure out what games that hardcore gamers enjoy would really benefit from a camera facing you.

I love the added immersion in Forza 4. Playing with a wheel + head tracking (kinect) + in car camera view is really enjoyable... at least to me.

I personally would like for all racing games with that camera view to have head tracking since I enjoyed it so much in Forza 4.

I'm actually pretty shocked with how many disappointed posts there are. People actually liked Move, Kinect, and the casual Wii Waggle games? I thought the vast, vast majority of GAF hated those gimmicks and just wanted a controller in their hands.

There are a decent number of people on GAF who like/liked motion control games.

It's just that they aren't as vocal as the people here who don't like motion controls.

Tadger

Banned
Your not grasping how percentages work is making this even more believable.

Do tell!

Hmm It has been a while since I have been at school granted.

But I'm sure I know the difference between 50% and 33%, maybe I don't.

I blame my math teacher, she was fit, fuck numbers.

BigDug13

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why the camera is good. What does Kinect and/or eye offer my favorite genres? I want to hold a controller and play my favorite games. I don't want to move around, I don't want my heart rate detected, and I don't want to talk to my TV.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Very interesting. Spill the beans man. You can't just say that and leave it at that...

Someone should start a new discussion with his quotes. At least for the lulz

BigDug13

I love the added immersion in Forza 4. Playing with a wheel + head tracking (kinect) + in car camera view is really enjoyable... at least to me.

I personally would like for all racing games with that camera view to have head tracking since I enjoyed it so much in Forza 4.

There are a decent number of people on GAF who like/liked motion control games.

It's just that they aren't as vocal as the people here who don't like motion controls.

But wouldn't that feature work a lot better on something like Oculus Rift? It seems like if I turn my head, I'm no longer looking at my TV. So how am I seeing other stuff?

Fi Fo Nye

Banned

More tales from the ass, I see.

18 compute units, versus 12 compute units, is not that much higher a benchmark. Nope. Only a 10% difference, if that, right?

Ok, mate.

I have a bro, too. He works for a grocery store. He told me that grapes are on sale this week.

Hey whether you Beleive it or not is your choice. When gaf finally gets hold of more info just remember my post.

It's not really a matter of whether we believe it or not (which as someone who knows many folks in the industry... I don't). It's GAF policy that you either leak what you know to an extent that actually makes sense... or you give little hints with winks and nods that end with being banned.

aganu

Hmm It has been a while since I have been at school granted.

But I'm sure I know the difference between 50% and 33%, maybe I don't.

I blame my math teacher, she was fit, fuck numbers.
Stop shitting up the thread if you can't back up your claims.

Seanspeed

Banned

If the vast majority of consoles sold come with it, then the savings aren't going to be all that great and it just means that NA consumers get a bum deal comapred to everyone else.

I'm still waiting for someone to explain to me why the camera is good. What does Kinect and/or eye offer my favorite genres? I want to hold a controller and play my favorite games. I don't want to move around, I don't want my heart rate detected, and I don't want to talk to my TV.

Well that would be the nice thing about having the camera this time as it will work with the standard controller.

Bgamer90

Banned

Why should someone who likes it explain that to you?

If you aren't interested in it then you aren't interested in it.

Top Bottom