• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every PS4 won't come bundled with an EyeToy after all? Image Inside.

Anyone who doesn't hate the Xbox one paid shills confirmed?
Just the ones that registered with marketing firm email addresses, according to bish.

I wouldn't worry about that if it's not you.

It certainly makes it harder to trust the new batch of juniors though.

I wish Bish would just make the thread outing them; I'm aware that some consumers genuinely do argue against their own interests, but some of the posts in the DRM threads are ridiculous.

It's a bit unfair to legitimate posters, but it's getting kind of difficult to take a lot of comments from new members at face value anymore, without casting a suspicious eye.

It would be good if bishoptl actually did just make a thread outing them all.

All juniors are suspect IMO. Especially the ones where you do a quick post history check and they ONLY post in Sony/MS new console threads and never anything else. Like OT treads, off topic, community, etc.

It's getting pretty easy to spot them and I believe several are in this thread (for both ms and Sony). :)

No, the video showed and advertised the DualShock 4 as controler for the Playstation 4. Writing you need to buy a PS4 to use the controller is redundant and unnecessary from a legal point of view.

A cheap basic version PS4 without camera it's not impossible - I would say it's even very likely that Sony will release such a basic package.

so would I. Stripped down SKU's for marketing purposes have precedent- just look at the 20 gig PS3. If Sony wants to be able to market the PS3 as being "349" or whatever to compete with the XboxONE (if necessary) while still guaranteeing developer support, all they need to do is limit the distribution of the stripped down sku to no more than say, 15 or 20% of all available consoles.

Best of both worlds for Sony going that route.

All juniors are suspect IMO. Especially the ones where you do a quick post history check and they ONLY post in Sony/MS new console threads and never anything else. Like OT treads, off topic, community, etc.

It's getting pretty easy to spot them and I believe several are in this thread (for both ms and Sony). :)

I agree, this is a powerful post.

Ravage

Smart move imo, this allows Sony to nullify MS camera advantage (less incentive for 3rd parties to waste resources on gesture gimmicks) while enabling them to sell PS4s at a competitive price point. Voice command (which I expect to be the most common Kinect function utilized by 3rd parties) can work without PSEye since DS4 has an inbuilt mic.

PSEye is designed for video chat, split screen swap, head tracking, etc. These features, while nice to have, are not essential functions hence it makes more sense to position the PSEye as an optional accessory. Heavy bundling with casual software like Just Dance will probably coincide with the first price drop when Sony starts targeting the casual market.

This is good news if true. I'd also prefer that Sony stick to ONE SKU. Console + 500GB (or 1TB) HDD + controller + HDMI cable. No Move, no PS Eye. $349-$399. Keep it simple. No premium SKU with extra stuff bundled in.

Great news for fans of a lower initial price. Bad news for opponents of split consumer bases.

Holy shit at the witch hunt.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
It's a bit unfair to legitimate posters, but it's getting kind of difficult to take a lot of comments from new members at face value anymore, without casting a suspicious eye.

It would be good if bishoptl actually did just make a thread outing them all.
I agree. Ban everyone who registered past 2004.

I am a little disappointed. It would have been nice to have it in every box so devs could use it. Now barely anyone will use it.

Didn't Cerny say in the reveal conf it was in every box? Guess they changed their mind.

Khezu

I thought controlling FPS games with the move was kinda fun, so kinda sad its not forced.

Then again, I only really used the move a few times, so maybe the gimmick wears thin pretty quick.

OnFire331

Wow, what a find! Good news! Maybe now the price can realistically be $400 or even $350 like Patcher predicted.

famousmortimer, do you think Sony is still planning to charge for online play?

I am a little disappointed. It would have been nice to have it in every box so devs could use it. Now barely anyone will use it.

Didn't Cerny say in the reveal conf it was in every box? Guess they changed their mind.

nope. never mentioned. it's existence was confirmed, but whether or not it was a pack in was purely speculation.

This is somewhat bad news for me. The Move was the best implementation of motion control I ever played. Was hoping it would get more support but not being bundled means developers will ignore it and a majority of consumers too. Sports Champions Tennis and Disc Golf were awesome, in fact most of those games on that disk were.

It will lower the price but the camera cannot be that expensive, definitely not like Kinect.

Just the ones that registered with marketing firm email addresses, according to bish.

I wish Bish would just make the thread outing them; I'm aware that some consumers genuinely do argue against their own interests, but some of the posts in the DRM threads are ridiculous.

So you're saying there are a few MS/Sony plants that have infiltrated NeoGaf? I'd like to see some posts! Call em out!

Good, keeps the price down for people who don't want it.

If I do get a PS4, which is looking likely, I'll buy one separately. I really liked the Move and hope it gets good support.

Tadger

Banned

To be honest most of the posts regarding X1 have been ridiculous. It's easy to tell the people who know or work in IT from the gumps.

So you're saying there are a few MS/Sony plants that have infiltrated NeoGaf? I'd like to see some posts! Call em out!
I'm sure Bish will when he's ready, he's already said he knows who some of them are by their email addresses they've used.

Until then, just take juniors opinions with a huge grain of salt.

To be honest most of the posts regarding X1 have been ridiculous. It's easy to tell the people who know or work in IT from the gumps.
I can understand some Xbox fans not caring about always online and DRM, but when there's consumers actively promoting it? Yeah, something isn't right there.

LCfiner

I'm happy about this. I don't want to find space to stick another camera or sensor or whatever by my TV so if the PS4 camera is optional then I know I won't have to bother.

I also don't care at all for motion activated controls so I'll be glad if they're all optional on PS4

This is the way it should be. This is a win-win scenario for Sony. Not including the camera means they can price lower. And, developers will likely still support it, since the Kinect will be required on Microsoft's side and devs will be coding camera functionality anyway.

IvorB

*Sigh* If they don't have the balls to bundle the PS Eye with each unit they need to just drop the whole thing and move on. Trying to push this accessory as a side thing that people purchase is never going to go anywhere so they should just drop it.

I'm sure Bish will when he's ready, he's already said he knows who some of them are by their email addresses they've used.

Until then, just take juniors opinions with a huge grain of salt.

I can understand some Xbox fans not caring about always online and DRM, but when there's consumers actively promoting it? Yeah, something isn't right there.

I'm a junior... and I've come to derail threads and promote my Sony overlords. JK.

Tadger

Banned
Sony seems to be doing all the right things (from a consumer standpoint) so far.

Well it's your opinion mate.

All I know is, if I am gonna be spending 400~500 quid on a box I want it to do more than just games. X1 does this.

Only thing I am worried about is my misses popping her head round the door and saying 'Xbox off' when she wants to watch some crappy drama on TV. I hope the profile you are signed into only listens for your voice or I might end up killing my misses.

Boss Man

That's good for me personally, although it is going to be another PS Move story where they have a completely neglected peripheral. Might as well not make the thing if you're going to sell it separately IMO.

All I know is, if I am gonna be spending 400~500 quid on a box I want it to do more than just games. X1 does this.

Only thing I am worried about is my misses popping her head round the door and saying 'Xbox off' when she wants to watch some crappy drama on TV. I hope the profile you are signed into only listens for your voice or I might end up killing my misses.
Literally the only functionality I can think of is that it pops NFL.com fantasy updates on your TV screen while you're watching the NFL and lets you yell to change sources instead of pressing the input button on your remote. Also, if you're talking like that you better not be from America - and if you're not from America I don't think most of this stuff will even work.

Good. I didn't have much interest in the camera anyway. Maybe there will be a SKU with the camera packaged in for those interested.

ironcreed

Banned
*Sigh* If they don't have the balls to bundle the PS Eye with each unit they need to just drop the whole thing and move on. Trying to push this accessory as a side thing that people purchase is never going to go anywhere so they should just drop it.

I would rather they have 'the balls' to consider that not everyone wants the price to be increased because of a camera they don't need or want. Those who want it have the option to pay extra to get it, while the rest of us don't have to put up with it being forced down our throat.

Elios83

I've already stated my opinion here I'll just quote myself:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=59320857&postcount=4301

I don't think that the PSEye will be standard. Sony is giving far more importance to other features. They're even including a headset in every console unlike Microsoft. They're betting on social features and having access to different kind of contents seamlessly. They have also added extra features on the controller while Microsoft left their controller pretty much as it was.
The camera so far has been treated like an add-on which will be probably used to differentiate the entry level SKU which will be as cheap as possible from the fully featured model with a bigger hard drive.

Seems like they agree with me :p

Sony seems to be doing all the right things (from a consumer standpoint) so far.

As a consumer that enjoys the benefits of using Redbox, Sony's not doing all the right things when they limit my ability to play all of Last Of Us due to their company policy of requiring an online pass for every single game that has a multiplayer component. It's not worse than Microsoft requiring a 60 dollar fee to view Netflix, but it's definitely anti-consumer.

Fi Fo Nye

Banned

That's fine and dandy, mate.

But for gamers who only want a gaming machine, or who want as much a gaming machine as possible, they can rest in solace knowing that the lion's share of their 400~500 quid is going towards a gaming machine.

Given the specs, PS4 gamers are definitely getting more of a gaming machine. I would like a 50% more powerful GPU over some TV features any day.

Send my best regards to the missus though.

As a consumer that enjoys the benefits of using Redbox, Sony's not doing all the right things when they limit my ability to play all of Last Of Us due to their company policy of requiring an online pass for every single game that has a multiplayer component. It's not worse than Microsoft requiring a 60 dollar fee to view Netflix, but it's definitely anti-consumer.

Pretty sure I bought uncharted 3 used and was able to play the singleplayer portion just fine without an online pass.

DBT85

The multiplayer component requires use of their servers so they expect people who don't pay them for the game to at least pay for the servers they are using. I have no issue with that at all.

MasLegio

Banned

you still can play the single player game. If you want to play multiplayer games then you better buy the game anyway.

though there should be a included x hours multiplay when renting maybe

Tadger

Banned

Yeah promoting DRM is not good. I admit I am an xbot ish. I had both consoles last gen, it's simple for me, I'll go with the pad I prefer.

I think DRM is a concern for many, not for me because I have a stable connection and love online gaming more than single player, so they have hit the sweet spot with me.

This 33% / 50% 'Power' difference though.. I mean c'mon.

Top Bottom