• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every PS4 won't come bundled with an EyeToy after all? Image Inside.

If developers manage to do anything remotely interesting with it for traditional titles, people will buy it for those titles. But they won't. And they wouldn't have with it bundled in either, anyway.

Because there isn't anything camera-based control particularly does for "core" titles to make them control better/more efficiently.
KZ3 was a lot beter with Move. Granted that says more about the mediocrity of the KZ series but it did add to the game.

And Tumble was straight-up great.

Goldrusher

Won't happen. Hope it does

You think it's too cheap? Even though that price would be more expensive than in mainland Europe, and the UK is the worst market for Sony?

:/

Games are €60 in Europe, £40 in the UK.
Which means if a console is €399 in Europe, it should be £263 in the UK.

Back in 2007, the PS3 launched at €599 in Europe, £425 in the UK.
€399 would become £282.

Never knew there were rumor about the camera will bundle in every PS4.

How many news site reported(rumored) it will bundle in every PS4?Kotaku?Edge?

AngryMoth

The right decision imo. I know people will say this means it will be neglected since can't rely on everyone having it but personally I have very little faith that a lot of worthwhile gaming experiences will ever come from pseye/kinect so I'd rather pay less for the bundle that doesn't come with it and get it later if they ever prove its worth to me. And if it means they launch cheaper than the xbone that's a huge win for them

Amir0x

Banned
Why even make a god damned camera if it isn't standard. Major mistake by Sony.

So that they can release cheap gimmick games if they want. Kinect demonstrated that even a far more advanced camera has practically zero applications for 99% of all genres, and all you're left with is shitty dance games and mini-game compilations nobody ever wanted anyway, so what's left? Move titles? Well there were never many good Move games either, but at least this way we ALL won't be fronting the bill for a gimmick that is virtually pointless for most games.

Bboy AJ

My dog was murdered by a 3.5mm audio port and I will not rest until the standard is dead
So that they can release cheap gimmick games if they want. Kinect demonstrated that even a far more advanced camera has practically zero applications for 99% of all genres, and all you're left with is shitty dance games and mini-game compilations nobody ever wanted anyway, so what's left? Move titles? Well there were never many good Move games either, but at least this way we ALL won't be fronting the bill for a gimmick that is virtually pointless for most games.

The system might be $20 more expensive because of a camera. The other side is the camera being DOA. I'll do the $20 in a heartbeat.

Maybe you guys should stop buying shitty collector editions and save your money there.

p3tran

Banned
so, let me get this straight:

not only the camera does not have to always be connected to the console,

but sony does not even force it with the purchase of a ps4?

if like that, well, microsoft better adapt or suck my balls!

I kind of thought that this may have been the cause when that recent Zumba game was announced for all next-gen platforms except for the PS4. I think that they would've made a version if the camera were standard with the PS4.

Raide

This also means kinect features that xbone has on controller based games can be there for ps4 but optional ( like hdd optional for 360 launch)

Another reason for Devs to put "Better on Kinect" on the box. Optional means the majority won't bother to support it outside of mini-games and last-gen ports.

Sony should be packing it in. The tech cannot be that expensive, so they should have one in all packs and developers can choose to support it.

Jinko

I think they should bundle it otherwise just forget about making any Move only games.

Not at all, if people want to mess around with move games they should front the bill for it, shouldn't be forced on everyone.

This is a good sign that Sony know what the majority of its userbase actually want from games.

Binabik15

Is sold seperatly, but might be packed in as well from that blurb.

Either way would be fine with me, the only thing I'd want a camera for besides lightgun games is that crazy 3d sculpting MM thing, but I can live without both.

The system might be $20 more expensive because of a camera. The other side is the camera being DOA. I'll do the $20 in a heartbeat.
If you want to pay for it for everyone, do it. Whip out that chequebook. A billion or so over the course of the system's lifespan should do the trick.

People don't have to be "poor" or "cheap" to not want to pay for things they don't give a shit about.

Not a fan of the camera either but I can't help but feel this is a mistake. Seems like a giant waste of R&D to develop something that will die due to lack of standardization. Besides that, I could imagine a few scenarios where it could be fun.

Dunkers92

I like how I may be given the choice as to whether I want the new camera without it being forced onto me. This is the issue with the new Kinect. The fact it is mandatory makes me more resistant to the idea of using it or buying an xbone.

The fact I may have a choice would actually make me more inclined to get one in the future in a weird way, if they showed a feature that I really wanted

iJgqRWP.png

Could also mean that the camera is not sold in bundle with the controller but available separately with a PS4.

(only half serious)

But yeah, I would hope that they offer a more expensive SKU (with other perks like larger HDD etc.) bundled with the new PSEye. Later on this could then be the only SKU (at a cheaper price).
Otherwise developers and even Sony might not care enough to implement features into their games (even if it's just the splitscreen thingy) or OS. Simply due to low install base.

At the same time it's good I guess because it's not a mandatory feature like Kinect, but that we already expected.

The most important part to me is that the camera can't be just on all the time in some lazy fashion. If they want to use it, developers will have to look for it, and turn on its functions.

Keep it out. It's a gimmick that was threatening to be a requirement just so you could balance on logs at the end of the day. This assures it will be a 'nice to have'. I'll potentially still get it if it adds to normal ass games.

Is sold seperatly, but might be packed in as well from that blurb.

Either way would be fine with me, the only thing I'd want a camera for besides lightgun games is that crazy 3d sculpting MM thing, but I can live without both.

Well,i know new Kinect will sold seperately either(not PC version),so actually it's still unclear,but we should know that in E3 aka less than 10 days

test_account

XP-39C²
Good news indeed! I was "worried" that the price would increase if a camera was going to be bundled with every system. Good thing that it is optional :)

Yeah, it looks like it'll be just another "We have it too!" moment from Sony, where they'll throw in a gimmick because the competitor has it, but not do a damn thing with it.

It's both a good and a bad thing. Lets hope they use it successfully in some of their games, because they certainly don't have a good track record with their gimmicks.
Sony came out with PS Eye in the PS2 era. They also have a camera for PS3, so it wont be much different on PS4.

Satchel

Banned
Would have preferred it was packed in to be honest.

I generally buy all the accessories anyway, and this means it will barely ever get supported which sucks.

smurfx

get some go again
come on sony please announce the ps4 being no higher than 399 and you will the console i go with next gen.

shink

Not at all, if people want to mess around with move games they should front the bill for it, shouldn't be forced on everyone.

This is a good sign that Sony know what the majority of its userbase actually want from games.
Sure I understand that but knowing Sony they'll waste money on these extra features that no one has the peripheral for.

stryke

Not a fan of the camera either but I can't help but feel this is a mistake. Seems like a giant waste of R&D to develop something that will die due to lack of standardization. Besides that, I could imagine a few scenarios where it could be fun.

I'm pretty sure it's just two cameras and microphone duct taped together. Hardly groundbreaking tech here.

aceldama

Banned
I disagree with the assumption. Seeing as this is an ad for the controller itself, I completely see this as saying "for games that need the camera, you won't get it when you buy only the controller." Which does not mean that the camera won't be packed into the system. It also covers their ass if you have to buy another camera down the line for some reason.

It's just saying that the camera and the controller aren't specifically sold together.

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
If I can get the base system with one controlled included for less than $400, I'll be happy. If I want to mess with the EyeToy, I'll buy one. But I'd rather not it being included driving up the base price.

wilflare

:/ I was kinda hoping the camera will be included (not always on or what is good enough)... at least developers would be more included to make good use of it.

like that position-marking with the DS4

Top Bottom