• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Every PS4 won't come bundled with an EyeToy after all? Image Inside.

KAL2006

Banned
I've been watching inFamous Second Son Dev diaries from Game Informer, and they never mention anything about the PSEye, while they have mentioned the touchpad. I think it's rather obvious the PSEye won't be included.

Oppo

I don't think the legal line changes or guarantees anything though. They could decide whether it not to bundle right before E3. This is just cover-your-ass boilerplate stuff.

Blueblur1

This is good news. It means that the camera isn't required and that the cost of the system won't be inflated by the inclusion of one. I would have never used it anyway so it's exclusion should theoretically save me money. The only concern I have left is whether or not they'll force it upon a higher tiered SKU and leave it out of an unattractive tard pack (like the 360 Arcade SKU was).

smurfx

get some go again
i'd rather sony spend the money they save from bundling the camera into r&d for their own oculus rift device to release later on. i think that will be where future innovation will come from. maybe at that time they can release the camera along side it.

Panajev2001a

GAF's Pleasant Genius
On one side it might reduce the base price of PS4, but on the other side it almost sends yet another EyeToy product out to die... unless they do plan to heavily support it with first party releases and marketing (MS was able to make Kinect something far from a full failure, Sony should learn how to do the same).

I hope the $349 basic SKU + $399 premium SKU (PS4 Eye included) happens.

HT UK

Can't really say if this is good or bad. Depends how much it'd bump up the price of the console at launch

mrklaw

MrArseFace
- no camera as standard means more games will be developed not using camera functions, so Vita remote play will be better supported

- Sony can still use voice commands in games and OS as the DS4 has a mic built in - but users can add the PSeye for that too - perhaps useful for skype etc

- price of lowest sku will be kept under control and should undercut MS fairly significantly (at least $50) assuming MS don't subsidise day one.

QaaQer

I've been watching inFamous Second Son Dev diaries from Game Informer, and they never mention anything about the PSEye, while they have mentioned the touchpad. I think it's rather obvious the PSEye won't be included.

I think the mic + touchpad on the ps4 controller covers the important bits that kinect will allow on the xbone. Adding a mic + touchpad to controller costs way less than adding an ps4eye to the box.

As far as traditional games go, camera is not at all important given the ds4 functionality. Pretty astute move by sony.

If I want camera based gaming I'd play the Xbox One which will undoubtedly do it better. Sony made the right decision by not bundling this.

ShinAmano

- no camera as standard means more games will be developed not using camera functions, so Vita remote play will be better supported

- Sony can still use voice commands in games and OS as the DS4 has a mic built in - but users can add the PSeye for that too - perhaps useful for skype etc

- price of lowest sku will be kept under control and should undercut MS fairly significantly (at least $50) assuming MS don't subsidise day one.

I honestly do not see that happening. X1 will be cheaper than PS4.

Wubby

I'm just happy it's not mandatory like Kinect. The mandatory Kinect is my biggest gripe with the One.

I wouldn't mind it being bundled in at all though. If there's a premium SKU that includes the camera I will get that one.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
also, aren't the pseye games better with move? no way they bundle a move as well, so any games like sports champions etc will want a move controller too - even if eg killzone supports it.

Fairly easy to add move controls like they did in this gen

I'm kind of feeling this is going to be the case
but I still have a foolish hope that they do a TB bundle.

I really hope there will be a 1 TB option. Or at least allow me to upgrade to at least 2 TB.

My 500 GB HDD in my PS3 is not enough to house ALL of the partial game installs + patch data + bought PSN games (no full PS3 games).
Had to delete a lot including all demos etc. to be able to keep up with what PS+ throws at you. I don't sell games and would like all my games to be ready to go, updated to the newest version etc.. I know it's unrealistic as most old games I will probably never play again, but still :p

The space required on PS4 will be even higher over the years.

Hydrargyrus

My prediction is $400 gets you a 500GB hdd and 6 months ps+ (no ps eye), while $500 gets you 1TB, 6 months ps+, ps eye and maybe a pack in game. Maybe slightly optimistic

Yup

I think that there will be 2 SKUs, but not as good as those. More like:

1) 400€ with 320GB and 3 month PSN+
2) 500€ with 1TB, 1 year PSN+ (and some Gaikai service) and PSEye.

Both will include a headset

Less is more.

Really, in this day and age of content and shit it is the greatest wisdom there is.

Less is more.

I don't want that camera bundled.
I do want the option to delete games from my trophies lits.
I didn't want Gran Turismo to have standard cars.
I always delete 'meh' games of my hdd or sell them used.
I always sell 'meh' movies from my collection, just as books.

Take this advice from some bloke called Brian Draper:

less-is-more-manifesto.jpg

aganu

I'd rather wait for E3 for more clarification, but so far and from the limited talk they gave on the camera, it sounds like it's an essential functionality to DS4 so bundling it rather makes sense. E3 should clarify all of this I guess.

Also fwiw, the camera was actually featured in the PS4 teaser.

StuBurns

Banned
they could just include it in 1 sku and if its going to be available from launch it will get a big install base among ps4 consoles.

many times the cheapest sku isn't the one that sells the most.
It doesn't matter, this means in no way is it required, it's not used for the UI, and it's not listening to me. It was already not going to be used that heavily in games because of Vita remote play.

A lot of GAF have taken Sony's word that this system is still all about games, and I certainly hoped that was the case, but no camera in the box is an eight year commitment to core gamepad experiences.

yurinka

I think it's going to be PS4+DS4+PS4Eye+500GB priced $50 less than XB1 and then there would be a cheaper 250GB version.

Both with online multiplayer, web browser, Hulu, Netflix and the other basic services for free.

All consoles would be bundled with the eyetoy, the 'sold separatedly' of the ad would mean that if you buy an additional DS4 it won't include the camera.

PS4 Eye usage would be optional and console would work without it, and you would be allowed to replay the HDD with any other as happened in PS3.

TheChaos0

399 here we go. Eye and Kinect may be fun.. but what's the point forcing it onto the customer. Microsoft gambling on it and Sony is not.

To those suggesting this would be a missed opportunity: Missed business opportunity, maybe. It's probably easier to sell your human-waggle games when the install base is guaranteed.

From a consumer point of view? I don't want to absorb the cost of a control method I never intent to use and would happily buy later on if I were to change my mind. Unlikely as that may be.

QaaQer

Less is more.

Really, in this day and age of content and shit it is the greatest wisdom there is.

Less is more.

I don't want that camera bundled.
I do want the option to delete games from my trophies lits.
I didn't want Gran Turismo to have standard cars.
I always delete 'meh' games of my hdd or sell them used.
I always sell 'meh' movies from my collection, just as books.

Take this advice from some bloke called Brian Draper:

less-is-more-manifesto.jpg

great post. best decision I ever made in my life was to get rid of extraneous shit. We needed 3 portable dumpsters loads to get rid of all the cruft (house + garage). Went from 5 vehicles to 2 + 2 bikes + 1 electric bike, blah blah. very liberating.

One of the things I hate about steam is I cannot get rid of shit from my game list.

IzzyF3

That's smart. Nintendo backed themselves up to the corner with the expensive game pad. Microsoft will be might be backing themselves up with the expensive Kinect.

solarus

I'm sure most people in this thread are happy with this news but in the long run I see this being super damaging to them seeing as the Kinect 2 is bundled with every xbone and is actually a capable piece of hardware this time round.

To those suggesting this would be a missed opportunity: Missed business opportunity, maybe. It's probably easier to sell your human-waggle games when the install base is guaranteed.

From a consumer point of view? I don't want to absorb the cost of a control method I never intent to use and would happily buy later on if I were to change my mind. Unlikely as that may be.

That is just not true. This camera will not get good support if it is not packed in. That is a missed opportunity.

damn Sony I want that camera packed in so that I can experience new gameplay you have the controller you said it was designed in concert with one another.

Top Bottom