• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everybody's Golf / Hot Shots Golf: World Invitational |OT| You're invited too!

The Chef

I can't get past the pro events, I get slaughtered. Sucked all the fun out of the game for me.

Sometimes it feels like the game was designed by satan himself, the difficulty is just too much for me.

The thing that pisses me off is how I just CANT understand all the inner-workings of a shot. I line it up perfectly, a tad bit of wind that I compensate for, add some backspin, hit the ball directly in the center....and it freakin ends up 15 yards short in a bunker. WTF is this shit about??

spats

The thing that pisses me off is how I just CANT understand all the inner-workings of a shot. I line it up perfectly, a tad bit of wind that I compensate for, add some backspin, hit the ball directly in the center....and it freakin ends up 15 yards short in a bunker. WTF is this shit about??

Precisely. It's so annoying.

MrPliskin

Banned
Back spin makes your ball fly higher, this distance is lost. Front spin makes it fly straighter and reduces impact of wind, but the ball falls faster (lands shorter).

Number45

Precisely. It's so annoying.

Don't forget you need to account for the landing point and carry of the ball. The figures you see are just guides, they aren't going to be exact with so many variables - you really will get a feel for what adjustments to make.

As has been mentioned as well, work on making sure you have a good control stat (use the right clubs/characters/balls) to get as close to what you expect as possible. I'm on silver now and I'm far from an expert - using Grace at the moment but I'm going to switch to Amy as soon as Grace is maxed.

krae_man

Are these 18 hole tournaments your entering? Just wondering as I've just been doing 9 holers and they take around 25 mins from my experience. Say I enter a game at 9:15. I'm done for 9:40 so I can quickly book the 9:45 one.

30 minutes for 9 holes is no better. If anything 9 holes are worse since you have to wait more often for the tournaments to start.

You also need to consider that the carry to run ratio(carry= how far the ball travels till it hits the ground for the first time, run how far it travels after it hits the ground) varies depending on the club. Generally speaking though, if you do backspin in Hot Shots, apart from maybe the driver and 3 wood the carry to run ratio is like 97%:3%. You're not factoring in something. Probably height. Are these elevated greens you're hitting into? Is the wind partially in your face?

I actually had this issue with Fantasy Golf Pangya when I first played it. The carry to run ratio in it is way different then hot shots. Even a 100 yard chip with 100% backspin would only go 70 yards in the air and run the other 30(then the backspin would happen if I did a backspin shot). I was landing in bunkers and water hazards left right and center I thought I could easily clear. It just took me time to get used to that.

Sometimes you have to hit the ball too hard knowing it will bounce in the rough just outside the green and that will take off most of the extra power and it will land right where you want it to. Or it will hit a slope killing all the speed. Hell sometimes the opposite happens and the ball runs right off the green. You need to pay attention to the slope of the greens as well.

Einbroch

Banned

The thing that REALLY effects where the ball lands is elevation. After I got that down, the game became way easier. Look at the little arrow where it's going to land.

Red = hit it way farther than where you think.
Yellow = hit it a little farther.
Blue = Hit it shorter.

Chris R

I wish the description would have been a touch more detailed. Power Shot: +2 doesn't mean you get two more power shots it turns out... Had to withdraw from that tournament :(

And when is the next NeoGAF game start?

PSN ID is rhfb if anyone wants to add me.

krae_man

I wish the description would have been a touch more detailed. Power Shot: +2 doesn't mean you get two more power shots it turns out... Had to withdraw from that tournament :(

And when is the next NeoGAF game start?

PSN ID is rhfb if anyone wants to add me.

Lots of people forget/don't understand that. The verbiage is the way Hot Shots has always done it. I think it's the fact that it's a positive thing being penalized that confuses people.

Hot Shots has always had "Hit a tree +1" "Bunker +2" rules. I don't think anyone would look at those and say "I should try and hit a tree in this round. It'll give me something".

Chris R

If it would have said +2 Stroke I would have understood it right away. As it was presented though I thought I had 2 more power shots to use (pretty helpful since I'm using the beginning characters/gear still since I haven't unlocked anything better).

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby
If it would have said +2 Stroke I would have understood it right away. As it was presented though I thought I had 2 more power shots to use (pretty helpful since I'm using the beginning characters/gear still since I haven't unlocked anything better).

yeah, it's definitely unclear. guess it's just a lesson most of us have to learn the hard way :p

anyone know if they have plans to reset the dailies like once a month or something? kinda silly if they dont as people who just get game wouldnt have anychance of getting near top50....or i could be just missing something as i only do them every few days or so

krae_man

anyone know if they have plans to reset the dailies like once a month or something? kinda silly if they dont as people who just get game wouldnt have anychance of getting near top50....or i could be just missing something as i only do them every few days or so

I've done every single one and now I'm forced to never miss them.

I've done every single one and now I'm forced to never miss them.

you gotta be top5 by now.....no??? (possibly even 1.....GO GAF!)

I got hooked on VTennis for the last few days so like i said im sure im like #2000 by now which without resets will just prevent me from ever doing them again.

and what the tits is up with them 2open character slots....thats really poking my OCD side

krae_man

I got hooked on VTennis for the last few days so like i said im sure im like #2000 by now which without resets will just prevent me from ever doing them again.

and what the tits is up with them 2open character slots....thats really poking my OCD side

Currently I'm 9th. I've been bouncing around between 7th and 11th. I need top 10's to get any higher and they are hard to come by. It's hard to hit every green in the minimum possible number of shots and not miss a single putt.

Been thinking about picking this up but I wish there were more courses. Hot Shots Golf Open Tee 2 has 12 courses and it's still $30 on PSN for some bizarre reason.

I hate DLC but if it means more courses than I'll pick it up. At least 10 courses would be good.

AstroLad

Hail to the KING baby

You don't slip that much. I think very few (~100?) people play daily. I'm like 250 something and I've only played on a handful of days. But yeah I hope they put some thought into how it will be reset and stuff. Honestly just reset it daily. When I play I can usually play all 3 but the issue is I just can't play at all on many days. I still like it though no matter what. Good way to get money and level up players while still feeling like you're making prograss toward some abstract thing.

addyb

Well what an interesting night ive had online.

1st game - 2nd place
2nd game - was in 2nd and messed up terribly hitting a triple bogey to make me finish 8th.

3rd game - finished bottom of 7 people I think.

Last game...... My first 18 holer tournie. Had a tremendous start with a couple of birdies, chip in eagle and then followed it with my 2nd hole in one!! That gave me a 6 shot lead with 6 holes gone and at the halfway mark I was 800pts clear.
I kept my form and continued to hit birdies for the rest with a par in between. I finished -18 and about 1200 pts clear.

Will post screenie tomorrow to prove I'm not lying!
Best game I've ever played. Every single shot on the green bar a few was about a ft away and the ones that weren't I was nailing the putts.

Just one of those games were everything went right. I'm more shocked because I did so bad in the games leading up to it. I'm very pleased with 2 hole in ones in less than 2 weeks of playing.

Syn23

How does the slope of the spot where you're hitting the ball (for example on the fairway or in the rough) affect your shot? I'm not talking about putting, I'm talking about "long range" shots. Can anyone clarify it?

addyb

How does the slope of the spot where you're hitting the ball (for example on the fairway or in the rough) affect your shot? I'm not talking about putting, I'm talking about "long range" shots. Can anyone clarify it?

It's easy really say your lie looks at an angle similar to this / I would aim more to the right as when you strike the ball it's going to veer to the left due to the angle. Wind direction still has to be taken into consideration though.

Sorry I know I haven't explained it great.

Syn23

Yeah, I get the general rule, but I can't understand why sometimes the deviation is really low/unnoticeable and other times the shot deviates a lot more. I guess I have to take into consideration if the shot is from the fairway or from the rough, what kind of club I'm using and if I'm doing a shot labeled as "approach", but I'm not sure how all these things affect it.

Downslope: Ball won't fly as high when struck, wind will affect it less. Won't carry as far in the air, will roll more than a shot from a flat lie. Severity of the slope can affect whether super backspin works when properly inputted.

Upslope: Ball will fly higher when struck, wind will affect it more. Will typically carry farther in the air unless you're facing an extreme headwind. Will roll less after landing.

Left/Right slopes: Have to adjust aim in the opposite direction to make up for the slope.

depward

Anyone know of where / how to do the ball skipping on the water three times trophy? I can only make it skip once...

Nm. Got it :) all I need is the loyalty max + buy everything in the shop trophies. The latter seems Impossible; you need so much and grinding won't get you anywhere fast.

MCmsK.jpg

whee

Maple 9H in, Power Shot +2 (penalty if use). Those Par 5s are always tricky, was hoping my -11 would hold up and it did :)

spats

Erm, if I want to add spin to the ball, how do I time the d-pad button press? Just holding it down doesn't seem to work properly, or I'm just not getting it.

Erm, if I want to add spin to the ball, how do I time the d-pad button press? Just holding it down doesn't seem to work properly, or I'm just not getting it.

Super Back Spin

"Try pressing UP when setting power and DOWN at impact. Get a perfect impact and unleash a Super Back Spin that makes the ball burn blue and spin backwards on the green or fairway."

Just make sure the d-pad is being pressed at the same time as the button press. There's no limit on how long you can hold the d-pad down or special timing to it.

If you do it correctly, the ball marker in the bottom right corner will have a blue dot on it.

Eo6SF.jpg

Super Topspin works the reverse way (DOWN when setting power and UP at impact)

Super Sidespin. If you want to bend it left, press RIGHT when setting power, LEFT at impact. And vice versa.

spats

Super Back Spin

"Try pressing UP when setting power and DOWN at impact. Get a perfect impact and unleash a Super Back Spin that makes the ball burn blue and spin backwards on the green or fairway."

Just make sure the d-pad is being pressed at the same time as the button press. There's no limit on how long you can hold the d-pad down or special timing to it.

If you do it correctly, the ball marker in the bottom right corner will have a blue dot on it.

Eo6SF.jpg

Super Topspin works the reverse way (DOWN when setting power and UP at impact)

Super Sidespin. If you want to bend it left, press RIGHT when setting power, LEFT at impact. And vice versa.

Tried it out and managed to pull it off once, haha. The window for hitting it right seems to be really small. Or I'm just not very good at QTE's/timing stuff. Thanks for the help though!

gembel

this game is too difficult..

when are you supposed to use spins? im playing amateur courses and always overhit or underhit the ball.. and most of the time goes to the bunker or water...

xxczx

I traded in wipEout for this
ugh I'm so used to Pangya that I completely suck.

It's a nice game to play on the bus though so I'm probably going to keep it.

addyb

when are you supposed to use spins? im playing amateur courses and always overhit or underhit the ball.. and most of the time goes to the bunker or water...

I've never used spin yet, off or online. You just have to get used to gauging how much power to give your approach shots in relation to wind direction, green lie etc. you will get better in time. After you have done certain courses/holes over and over you start to remember what does and doesn't work.

gembel

I've never used spin yet, off or online. You just have to get used to gauging how much power to give your approach shots in relation to wind direction, green lie etc. you will get better in time. After you have done certain courses/holes over and over you start to remember what does and doesn't work.

which shot type do you recommend gauge or circle?

Until you learn the basics, just focus on sorting out your button timings. All the spins in the world won't help you become more accurate until you know to hit the pink zone (or perfect impact - 0%).

Once you have impact down, backspin (down) stops the ball quicker and is best used for shots to the green where you have a smaller target (watch the wind). Topspin allows the ball to roll further and I sometimes use for tee shots to get some more distance. Try it on hole 1 of maple. at the right point and wind speed, you can shoot that green in one shot, though your putt will be difficult.

Sidespins are best used for getting round obstacles but they can help to stop the ball rolling down some slopes faster than you'd like.

I'll see if I can think of anything afterwards. Might be worth heading to Training mode to try some things out. Even a real-life physics experiment with a ball and a book on a slant might help ;)

Nice eagle chip-in! Has anyone managed to get an albatross yet?
I can't get past the pro events, I get slaughtered. Sucked all the fun out of the game for me.

Sometimes it feels like the game was designed by satan himself, the difficulty is just too much for me.
I'm currently taking a break from the game after becoming frustrated with the silver events. The difficulty curve is definitely steeper than in the other golf games I've played.

Ok. So i'm guessing the crown unlock list in the OP is accurate right? I just tried • 2-5: Win without using Spin shots. So I played the round without holding up, down, left or right on the d-pad for any of the shots. That should be it, right? Why didn't it work? Why!!!

Ok. So i'm guessing the crown unlock list in the OP is accurate right? I just tried • 2-5: Win without using Spin shots. So I played the round without holding up, down, left or right on the d-pad for any of the shots. That should be it, right? Why didn't it work? Why!!!

Yes, I've done that one myself and checked it on the Vita. Are you sure you won the round as well?

If you always add spin to your shots in normal play, you might have added spin without knowing it.

Yes, I've done that one myself and checked it on the Vita. Are you sure you won the round as well?

If you always add spin to your shots in normal play, you might have added spin without knowing it.

Lol I actually use spin a ton, which is why I kept my hand off the d-pad for all 18 holes. Had a -7 win in the end..what a bummer. Guess I'll try yet again, sucks.

Top Bottom