• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Everyone who pledged for a Rift DK is getting a free Kickstarter Edition Oculus Rift

1miBKX0.gif

Courtesy of Oculus' own Dycus off reddit.

Great move!

I bet the guy whom I bought the DK1 off of from Craiglist is happy. Got 50% of what he paid for DK1 from me when I bought it, and now gets CV1. So jealous, but now I just need to wake my ass up at 8am tomorrow to get my order in!

Head.spawn

I'm not a backer, but this is really cool to see them give back to the people that made it all possible and helped spark the movement in general.

Congrats guys

darkinstinct

...lacks reading comprehension.
Well, I would bet most of the 175,000 people who bought DK2's weren't developers, and as the order page said specifically not to order it if you weren't a developer, there's no way they are going to reward people for that :)

118.000, the rest were DK1.

Hyoukokun

Backer #3,541 reporting in. This made my day!

...Now I need to go get a new video card; I don't think my old Radeon 6870 is going to be quite up to the job.

Permanently A

People who ended up selling their DK1 are really going to come out ahead

Holy shit no joke. Backing a kickstarter for $300, presumably selling the DK for a similar price and then getting CV1 (est value $400-$500). I bet this is the first time a Kickstarter was actually a wholly profitable investment.

Backer #3,541 reporting in. This made my day!

...Now I need to go get a new video card; I don't think my old Radeon 6870 is going to be quite up to the job.

I got a solution for your problem, send me your CV1 and I'll give you my 970 and then we're both happy.

ultrazilla

Gold Member
Dream, KHarvey and Durante, thanks for the answers/comments.

Also congrats to the original backers. Definitely a cool move by Oculus to give them a consumer model free. :)

Man

6955 individual backers pledged for devkits.
Some pledged for higher campaign rewards with multiple devkits so 7457 DK1's.

The amount of free limited edition "Kickstarter" Oculus Rift units being handed out should be between 6955 and 7457. Assuming a retail price of $499 that would mean a combined (retail price) value of up to $3,721,043.

iceatcs

I forgot where do you can find what backer number?

Seem I only need either Vive or another 970? hmm, I think I will wait how single 970 going on, then price for both.

nakedeyes

Banned
I forgot where do you can find what backer number?

Seem I only need either Vive or another 970? hmm, I think I will wait how single 970 going on, then price for both.

Backer number 6,486 here to tell you:

1) Log into Kickstarter
2) view the Oculus rift page ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game )
3) Click "View Pledge" on the left side of the top of the page.
4) Backer number is at the bottom

So stoked about this super kind gesture on Oculus' part. Was literally getting shot down by the wife just this morning on preordering tomorrow, then found out this incredible news 15 mins later!

iceatcs

Backer number 6,486 here to tell you:

1) Log into Kickstarter
2) view the Oculus rift page ( https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/1523379957/oculus-rift-step-into-the-game )
3) Click "View Pledge" on the left side of the top of the page.
4) Backer number is at the bottom

So stoked about this super kind gesture on Oculus' part. Was literally getting shot down by the wife just this morning on preordering tomorrow, then found out this incredible news 15 mins later!

Thanks,
Oh wow, I'm one of near the last of the batch. 8,732 out of 9,522. I remember I won a sports bet and decided spent on it last few days for Kickstarter campaign. Lucky

Blastoise

Banned
This is honestly the saltiest I've ever felt. Got damn I hate you all...

Amazing show of gratitude from Palmer and the team. This is the cheapest marketing Facebook will do for Oculus, and it will be the most effective.

I'm so salty right now tho.

Backer 1222. Whether I get one or two, totally worth it.

Yeah, like others said, now i can afford the upgrade I need to be fully ready! haha. The 670 has been good, though

I'm still kind of in disbelief that they did this for us, never had anything like this happen before. Part of my brain is still wrapped up in the "how much?" loop without fully accepting its free for me lol. Free...vr...does not compute!

I'm one of the original 9,522, according to KS #4,333. I'm pretty stoked here right now, this was a pretty amazing gesture from Oculus VR. I've already built my new gaming PC so I'm ready for some VR action.

mrklaw

MrArseFace
Thanks,
Oh wow, I'm one of near the last of the batch. 8,732 out of 9,522. I remember I won a sports bet and decided spent on it last few days for Kickstarter campaign. Lucky

I'm backer number 9865 out of 9522 and I got the email for the free CV1 :D

Backed for the 'early rift developer kit + DOOM 3 BFG' for $330 ($30 for international shipping)

mrklaw

MrArseFace
So apparantly Palmer was saying that preordering a rift also secures a spot for preordering the touch controllers. But what about those of us getting free ORs? I want the touch controllers too - hopefully we'll also get spots reserved so we can preorder them early - I don't even mind paying for them :p

LordCanti

So apparantly Palmer was saying that preordering a rift also secures a spot for preordering the touch controllers. But what about those of us getting free ORs? I want the touch controllers too - hopefully we'll also get spots reserved so we can preorder them early - I don't even mind paying for them :p

I would assume they'd do another survey like this one giving us the chance to pre-order Touch first.

Giving us free Rifts was already crazy. I can't imagine a free touch on top. I'll happily pay for it but I also hope we get first dibs.

Durante

Yeah, I was also wondering about the Touch pre-orders. But given this, I'm pretty confident they'll take care of backers.

Well I'm sure as heck not buying a Rift at launch (and wouldn't be even if it were $400), but if I were, I wouldn't be happy about the fact that I were subsidizing Kickstarter backers.

TheExodu5

Banned
Well I'm sure as heck not buying a Rift at launch (and wouldn't be even if it were $400), but if I were, I wouldn't be happy about the fact that I were subsidizing Kickstarter backers.

Eh, don't look at it that way.

Kickstarter backers are what made this happen. This is just a huge thank you from Oculus.

MUnited83

For you.

The other way around. The Kickstarter backers are reason you are even able to buy a Rift today.

Reallink

Since the site proper preorders are being used as the queue for Touch, I wonder if that puts KS'ers at the front or back of the line.

nakedeyes

Banned
Hate to be one of the "give an inch, take a mile" dudes, but I really wish I had something I could F5 on this thing!

There isn't really even an order page or anything for these free rifts right? Just a note somewhere saying you responded to the survey and gave an address?

So stoked! I was worried about my GTX 680 being good enough for the Rift, but I ended up finding a used GTX 680 on ebay and now have them set up in SLI :) Hope it is strong enough! Seems to have better effective performance than a single 970..

Hate to be one of the "give an inch, take a mile" dudes, but I really wish I had something I could F5 on this thing!

There isn't really even an order page or anything for these free rifts right? Just a note somewhere saying you responded to the survey and gave an address?

So stoked! I was worried about my GTX 680 being good enough for the Rift, but I ended up finding a used GTX 680 on ebay and now have them set up in SLI :) Hope it is strong enough! Seems to have better effective performance than a single 970..

Leading up to end of march (or whenever they start shipping) they'll start sending out emails to confirm details just like they did with the ks, at least I imagine that's how it'd be. I know it feels weird to be in this kinda nebulous space with no identifying number to go along with things, but at least we still got our backer numbers, so that should count for something, right? lol

Leading up to end of march (or whenever they start shipping) they'll start sending out emails to confirm details just like they did with the ks, at least I imagine that's how it'd be. I know it feels weird to be in this kinda nebulous space with no identifying number to go along with things, but at least we still got our backer numbers, so that should count for something, right? lol

Yeah, let's hope Oculus will continue treating us like they did until now.

What a surprise reading that email, I thought it was an error for a while xD

Top Bottom