• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve Stage 2 |OT| Redesigned, free 2 play, Very Frequent Updates [Support Ended]

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
evolvelogobnsw9.png

I'm not interested in reading anything. Where do I download the game?

Here, on Steam. It may not be up yet as of the time of this post, but it's coming today: http://store.steampowered.com/app/273350/

Hey, what's changed?

Well, the easiest way to read about this is to go here and see it with animated images and everything: http://www.evolveupdates.com/stage2/

I don't like leaving NeoGAF ever.

All right then, let's try and get a summary in here...

So I heard Evolve is going free 2 play...

You are correct. Evolve is now a free 2 play game on PC (starting today), and once they've finished tuning the title, it will become free 2 play on consoles as well.

How does the free 2 play model work?

Every week, four hunters (one of each class) and one monster will be in the free rotation. There are currently 24 Hunters and 7 Monsters in total, though some are variations of others. By playing the character tutorials, you unlock one hunter (Markov) and one monster (The Goliath) to keep forever.

Additional monsters, hunters, perks, and skins are unlocked by earning silver keys. Silver keys are earned by playing the game, leveling up, or getting login bonuses. Currently you can't actually buy silver keys, presumably so they can test the unlock rate, but that's coming later.

There is also a monthly login bonus punch card. You get one punch for each day you log in. Beyond silver keys, this can directly award new Hunters and Skins.

And of course, like most PC and console f2p games, there are daily quests/challenges for you to complete for even more keys and other rewards.

But I bought the game.

You get all the content you already owned along with a variety of bonuses like hunters, monsters, skins, badge backgrounds, badge foregrounds, and perks. You also get a pile of 3000 silver keys. You also start at Account Level 1, so you get to get all the level up bonuses and key infusions.

I heard that there have been gameplay changes.

You are correct. Here's a quick rundown of some of the changes.
- All Hunters can now trap the Monster. Traps also no longer miss. In response, the Monster can now vastly lower the duration of a trap by incapacitating a hunter, and the duration also gets chunks cut off as the Monster takes damage.
- The Monster now has enough skill points to buy all their skills at level 1. Specifically, they get 4 ability points and can spend them how they want to.
- As the Trapper no longer has the dome, they instead have a Monster GPS that points to the Monster and gives the Trapper a speed boost. This is temporary. Between this and the dome change, it should be much easier to find the Monster instead of running around for 7 minutes.
- The Medic grants a passive regeneration to the entire team whenever they're not taking damage. They can still heal, but the idea is that this makes it so that having a newer player on healer isn't completely devastating for the team.
- The Assault's defense matrix is now a 75% damage reduction instead of an invulnerability shield so that the Monster can actually kill them.
- The Support now casts an area barrier that effects all teammates in a 30 meter radius.
- The respawn timer now works more like a MOBA, where it's very short in the beginning, and gets longer as the match progresses. Specifically, it starts at 0, and it goes up by 25 seconds whenever a Monster evolves, and 10 seconds whenever a Hunter is downed, up to a maximum of 2 minutes.
- Daisy generally works much better for tracking the Monster.
- There are now damage numbers so you can tell if you're hitting the monster and how much damage you're doing.
- The game has an overhauled perk system where you can select a loadout of perks. These are for both Monsters and Hunters. It looks like there are three slots. I think it works such that you select one Minor, one Major, and one Superior perk, but I can't quite tell.
- This is not a complete list of gameplay changes, but I think I hit most of the big ones. I could be wrong. There's kind of a lot here.

Have there been any graphical improvements? What about map redesigns?

Yes, the game has both received visual upgrades and a significant visual pass for gameplay clarity. The level design of four of the maps have also changed, with presumably more coming in the future. Here is a sample:

These changes also apply to things like particle effects.

Before you ask, the character design is still the same.

Did they change anything else?

The UI has gotten a large overhaul, the download size is now half as big, you select your character before a match starts to significantly lower loading time, the game has had significant performance improvements, the game should be very stable now, the matchmaking is much faster, and they're going to do much more frequent game updates (and can now do so weekly).

Your title says frequent updates.

For at least the first two months, the game is getting a new hunter every two weeks and new perks in every week in between. There will also be a variety of other updates coming out with these updates. They imply that the plan is to keep up that rate, but of course that's dependent on if anyone actually plays the game.

So is this the only thing Turtle Rock is making?

No, they've also been hiring for a new IP.

Ploid 3.0

Oh it's on steam, of course. I was refreshing the evolve website after the timer reached 0, but it wasn't loading. Thanks!

Tapejara

Will be trying this out on PC. I did like what I played of Evolve on PS4, so I'm hopeful that the Turtle Rock's changes to the game will make it something I stick with. I own the season passes on PS4 (got them when they were in a PSN sale) though, so hopefully the console versions aren't too far off!

Vanethyr

In case anyone's looking for it, your Founder status appears under the list of DLC you own for the game on Steam (not sure if this was covered in their blog post).

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
All that write up for something that (IMO) will probably die within a week again. We'll see if those gameplay changes are enough, but I'm not confident.

MMaRsu

Banned
All that write up for something that (IMO) will probably die within a week again. We'll see if those gameplay changes are enough, but I'm not confident.

I dont think a lot of people are hyped to jump back in. If it was f2p on ps4 I probably wouldnt. And I kinda enjoyed the beta at at times.

RazorK1d

Thank you OP. I loved this when it first came out and got it Day 1 on PC, but my group of friends and I ended up getting into the Heroes of the Storm Beta like a month later and never looked back. I'll be glad to get back to this game as it had an awesome premise and some seriously great tense moments in multiplayer that I hadn't had for years.

I hope this move makes the game as popular as it could have been.

I played the original quite a bit, these changes are pretty crazy. They've essentially dumbed down a lot of it, but the original was way too punishing for small mistakes and would lead to unfun gameplay through that. They're probably right that this will maintain people playing longer, I just wonder how successful it will be after the stigma and ridicule the original had.

RiccochetJ

Gold Member
Seems like they're making some smart changes. I enjoyed my time with the game, but it did have some frustrating design decisions. I'll definitely check it out when they make it f2p on console.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I played the original quite a bit, these changes are pretty crazy. They've essentially dumbed down a lot of it, but the original was way too punishing for small mistakes and would lead to unfun gameplay through that. They're probably right that this will maintain people playing longer, I just wonder how successful it will be after the stigma and ridicule the original had.

I do think the game left a brutal first impression so I'm not surprised to see them ease up on the higher skill stuff but I'm definitely not sure how I feel about it. Playing the Trapper was super fun and rewarding to get a dome off before.

Crazy changes indeed. I guess they are needed to compensate for people not working cooperatively too well...but still damn at some of those. Here's Hoping it makes a larger impact that sticks with players this time around!

dLMN8R

It sounds like they're doing this in the best possible way they can. I wish them the best of luck!

I was worried the transition to F2P could have been rushed or not fully considered / thought-through. That's definitely not the case here.

I do think the game left a brutal first impression so I'm not surprised to see them ease up on the higher skill stuff but I'm definitely not sure how I feel about it. Playing the Trapper was super fun and rewarding to get a dome off before.

I agree, the trapper vs monster duel was an intense experience that was unique and probably won't be replicated again. It was really tough and especially knowing your entire team was relying on you to get the dome off. I can totally see how much of a turnoff it'd be with that amount of pressure, and the negative effects on the community by making it so if you had a bad trapper you instantly lost. I'm interested to see the new role of the trapper now that domes seem guaranteed.

Lucifon

I hope this goes f2p on consoles sooner rather than later. Summer draught period is the perfect time to reinvigorate the game. Leave it til later this year and they're screwed.

MrPanic

You know what, good on them for trying to revive the game in this way. I might try out this f2p version. Hopefully the gameplay changes makes the game more fun to play, as I remember the game being very unlikable at release.

bounchfx

lots of effort it sounds like, so ill give it another spin. not sure that can save how the 4v1 felt in this case but i'm willing to try

Downloading this right now, I'm hoping this is worth the download because I've had this sitting in my Steam Library forever.

OneUh8

I am willing to give the game another shot. Seems like they have changed a bunch for the better. I had lots of issues with the game at launch.

i got this on xbox, but im thinking i might boot this up on PC and play from the couch.

Having a controller cant hurt me that much compared to a mouse in a 4v1 right?

Spacejaws

The trap being a miss was always hilarious though. Not to sure how the trap can never miss unless it can only be activate if the monster is inside.

Should still have allowed misses and other hunters to end the now group controller trap. Have to feed the trolls somehow :p

Top Bottom