• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Evolve's ‘Big Alpha’ test available worldwide from October 30

Status
Not open for further replies.
Sorta. More like Left 4 Dead's Vs. mode, but where 4 guys are only fighting a beefed up Tank.

I was referring to the fact that people enjoy games that are "hard" to enjoy, because they need learning the game first, they need teamwork, if one team mate is bad it can spoil the experience, etc.

I think the difference with L4D is the amount of action. Even in Vs the humans are constantly engaged by normal zombies and special zombies will attack knowing they always respawn later if they fail, unlike the Monster here, which have to be a bit more careful so he will engage less, until the late stage.

twisted89

So I have a question.. I was in the previous closed Alpha for Evolve on PC. Installed through Steam and all, and with the onset of this new alpha, Evolve has popped up again in my Library and the only option I have is to Pre-Load, which is strange..

I"m assuming this doesn't in fact mean I'm automatically in the Alpha, but why would it show up otherwise? I didn't sign up for the Big Alpha or anything, just played in the previous one. Hmm.

Sounds like you're in the alpha, only pre-load is available right now.

DryvBy

I was referring to the fact that people enjoy games that are "hard" to enjoy, because they need learning the game first, they need teamwork, if one team mate is bad it can spoil the experience, etc.

I think the difference with L4D is the amount of action. Even in Vs the humans are constantly engaged by normal zombies and special zombies will attack knowing they always respawn later if they fail, unlike the Monster here, which have to be a bit more careful so he will engage less, until the late stage.

Definitely agree. I think too many people hate learning games which has to contribute to the amount of hand-holding in games these days.

SURGEdude

Help thyselves fellow Gaffers:

CODE for Xbox One:
7GXM2-2CPQQ-FGJFX-JJFJQ-R2H7Z

CODE for Xbox One:
3HP7H-R7XJT-6MY7F-7GGXM-P7P9Z

CODE for Xbox One:
7GYRV-3TQ3D-RJGF7-97GHJ-W67WZ

CODE for PC:
C9A4X-R2IK3-4GZEG

CODE for PC:
BV84N-GPFEC-MYC3N

Add me: PSN/XBL/Steam: WiiVault

Edit: Codes are USA, but may work elsewhere- give it a shot.

Laws00

im not feeling the game. First match I got in like someone said I was thrown into the game. Had no idea what I was doing. Was running around aimlessly as my 5th choice a medic. How the hell did that happen? I know it's just an alpha. i'm trying to get used to the game running around for 15 minutes trying to find this thing. We finally find it everyone is doing their part and the golith throws a rock at me and downs me and kills me. Some dude is cursing at me for not doing my part of healing and understanding on whats going on. I mean damn, it was my first game son.

God damn trihards. I know I should say that my first game should be a representation of what to expect from the game but I don't think this is a game I can get myself into. My 2nd and 3rd games were alot better but this isnt for me

Kei-

If anyone has two spare NA PS4 codes I'd greatly appreciate it. One for me, and the other for a friend. If not, one is okay, please and thank you.

jem0208

There's a lot of running around not doing much in this game.

I think they need to make playing as the hunters a bit more interesting. Maybe add some form of rudimentary base design such as turrets and breakable walls for when the Monster is stage 3. They could make it so you have to kill the wildlife to gain the resources to do that.

Playing as the hunters can be pretty boring when all you are doing is running around looking for the monster.

BeforeU

Oft hope is born when all is forlorn.
There's a lot of running around not doing much in this game.

I think they need to make playing as the hunters a bit more interesting. Maybe add some form of rudimentary base design such as turrets and breakable walls for when the Monster is stage 3. They could make it so you have to kill the wildlife to gain the resources to do that.

Playing as the hunters can be pretty boring when all you are doing is running around looking for the monster.

Yeah that's what turned me off too. Just chasing that monster was 80% of the play time. May be we just weren't doing it right lol but monster some how get away really fast.

Yeah that's what turned me off too. Just chasing that monster was 80% of the play time. May be we just weren't doing it right lol but monster some how get away really fast.
Medic should tranq it so it doesn't get away so fast. Also headphones help a lot with tracking the monster - the directional sounds are very helpful, especially when the monster is being sneaky.

hydruxo

I've already gotten a code for myself but if anyone else has a spare PS4 code I'd greatly appreciate it! I'd like to give it to my friend so I have someone to play the Alpha with.

Papercuts

fired zero bullets in the orphanage.
I said this during the first alpha on PC a while back, and it's still evident that this game isn't going to do very well overall. Or the community is going to fall apart fast. The reason I feel is because this game requires you to play your class well and coordinate as a team. If you end up with a sucky player due to your friends not playing, there's a downfall. If the monster sucks (which has happened quite a bit), the game isn't fun at all and feels like you just wasted a lot of time in the match.

This isn't to say the game is horrible. It's a lot of fun when everyone is good and playing correctly. But that's also its biggest flaw.

Even though Jeff Gerstmann hates everything, I agree with him on this game. It's the best game I'll never play.

It really reminds me of L4D in that regard(unsurprisingly), the Versus mode could be VERY one sided when a team knew what they were doing, both ways. I used to have a great team of people that would be able to pin their entire team down outside the initial safe house door, lol. But man was it a blast when both sides knew the ins and outs of the game.

Though with that, you had the luxury of the campaign mode as a pure co-op experience so people who weren't great at it could still enjoy the game. They may be holding back some alternate modes for this to talk about but I can't imagine a mode not competitive in some way with the framework they have going.

It really reminds me of L4D in that regard(unsurprisingly), the Versus mode could be VERY one sided when a team knew what they were doing, both ways. I used to have a great team of people that would be able to pin their entire team down outside the initial safe house door, lol. But man was it a blast when both sides knew the ins and outs of the game.

Ideally, there will be some kind of matchmaking system to have players with the same level skill.

siah

Banned
I had a good time playing as the medic. The Monster easily got to the relay though and mopped up our team fairly easily.

Never looked at this game once and started playing tonight. Wow am I not that great at this! I enjoy playing the medic strangely. Usually I like to assault etc., but here I find it more enjoyable to be helping the others.

kribz

Help thyselves fellow Gaffers:

CODE for Xbox One:
7GXM2-2CPQQ-FGJFX-JJFJQ-R2H7Z

CODE for Xbox One:
3HP7H-R7XJT-6MY7F-7GGXM-P7P9Z

CODE for Xbox One:
7GYRV-3TQ3D-RJGF7-97GHJ-W67WZ

CODE for PC:
C9A4X-R2IK3-4GZEG

CODE for PC:
BV84N-GPFEC-MYC3N

Add me: PSN/XBL/Steam: WiiVault

Edit: Codes are USA, but may work elsewhere- give it a shot.

Got the first xb1 code. Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom