• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-LucasArts employee explains why SW: Battlefront III failed [Free Radical Responds]

It looks like like Steve Ellis might have had some problems with him before, as he says "From the personal tone of the comments it is clear that the source is someone whom I personally dealt with." so it seems like the anonymous source is just trying to make Free Radical appear worse than it was, and some of it is just speculation from him anyway. I might have just misunderstood what Steve meant though.

Joni

It looks like like Steve Ellis might have had some problems with him before, as he says "From the personal tone of the comments it is clear that the source is someone whom I personally dealt with." so it seems like the anonymous source is just trying to make Free Radical appear worse than it was, and some of it is just speculation from him anyway. I might have just misunderstood what Steve meant though.
The anonymous source does seem more reliable than Ellis though, he continues to claim it was 95% finished citing the footage as the showcase of that. He is clearly seeing his own game through rose tinted glasses. The footage didn't look good or finished. It is more likely the source is just someone who worked on the project on the LucasArts side.

Shiggy

The anonymous source does seem more reliable than Ellis though, he continues to claim it was 95% finished citing the footage as the showcase of that. He is clearly seeing his own game through rose tinted glasses. The footage didn't look good or finished. It is more likely the source is just someone who worked on the project on the LucasArts side.

What footage are you referring to now? I think the initially leaked trailer looked pretty far along.

watkinzez

Ouch rough stuff. I believe it though. Free Radical really fell of a cliff at some point. I mean they made one of the best games of all history (TimeSplitters 2).

Also,
LLShC.gif
@ Arthur Gies

Ryan Scott always irks the shit out of me when he says "You're perfectly entitled to your wrong opinion" on the Geekbox podcast. Yet now I'm in the tempting position of saying the exact same thing. :p

Forkball

OUR NEW FPS WITH A DRUG ABUSE GIMMICK WILL SURE PERFORM BETTER THAN AN INSTALLMENT IN A GAME FRANCHISE WITH A LARGE FANBASE AND CRITICAL ACCLAIM.

How do you mess up Battlefront III? I mean... you just do what Battlefront II did but better.

Arthur Gies has always been a tasteless twat. Hardly shocking that Tweet.

Second Sight and TS3 go way beyond style over substance. What an ignorant moron.

BY2K

Membero Americo
Ouch rough stuff. I believe it though. Free Radical really fell of a cliff at some point. I mean they made one of the best games of all history (TimeSplitters 2).

Also,
LLShC.gif
@ Arthur Gies

FR was never at the level of RARE to begin with.

Soul_Pie

What an absolute mess of a game.

Battlefront was probably Lucasarts biggest hit in the last 10 years or something, and they managed to absolutely balls it up. They are a terrible, terrible company who were once amazing.

But Free Radical really mucked up Haze, and it sounds like the same thing was happening with BF3, so they're probably not blameless.

I wonder if we'll ever get the game, though. The concept still has such great potential.

Clott

I think it's funny that the guy that's responding is making a big deal of not being anonymous and standing for his name, well you were just called the fuck out, no shit you can't hide.

Ugh, this is just depressing all around: the fall of a once-great developer and a reminder we don't have, and probably won't ever get, a third Battlefront :(

The arguing back and forth is grand and all but the real question IMO is why haven't Lucasarts greenlit a new Battlefront now?

The last two main releases were very popular and brought out now with modern online communities this would surely be a massive hit. Hopefully Disney sorts them out and gets a new Battlefront going.

Hell I even enjoyed the PSP ones!! Gimme a HD port on Vita please!!

grkazan12

I guess it's great to hear more info on what happened to this game, but the fact that we haven't had a battlefront 3 yet is still saddest reality. Hopefully Disney can find a competent dev to make it already and finally get it out the door. Hopefully for next gen.

Haha hes so full of crap. 99% complete, the video shows we were just in bug fixing phase..... lol no it showed a highly incomplete game.

Your game is no 97-99% complete when you haven't even announced it yet or have the game in a presentable state.

At this point the only answers to questions like these (for any franchise) are that either:

A) The franchise is tainted.
B) Waiting for next-gen.

Dunno about tainting of the franchise, I'd say there is a significant proportion of people who would Day 1 a new Battlefront.

I hope you're right though, a new Battlefront next gen would be great. I'd take a HD remaster of BF2 to keep me ticking over! Come on Disney, do it.

Top Bottom