• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ex-WoW players: Is there anything that could bring you back?

Brofist

Wow 2. Complete visual overhaul, updated beautiful world and characters, i was a total casual player so my joy was discovering new areas, obtaining new skills and occasionally running dungeons. The world hoary feels old now. Cataclysm did a great job of refreshing it but it still feels like a mid 00s game. I want to playing a game that feels like the opening cinematic if vanilla wow.

You want a game that most of the fan base won't be able to run decently in a game where smooth performance is a must. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

For those of you out of the loop WoW is a much different looking game from vanilla, it's night and day.

Breemin

If my kids wanted to play it.
They were too young when i was playing.
Unfortunately they are mostly into minecraft and lego games now.

crpav

Nothing can bring back time I once had that now needs to be for family time. Raiding in a "casual" raid guild was what was fun but have no time for that now and the guild fell apart.

fester

Banned
I'd come back to play on a pre-Cataclysm server. I hate the fact that if I log in now, I can't revisit the old places/quests that knew and loved. Yes, I'm aware of private servers, but something coming from Blizzard would ensure a somewhat decent population and support to go with it.

Swig_

I was going to say if it were free with micro transactions instead of a monthly fee, but after reading a lot of the replies here, I'm reminded of the many reasons that I stopped playing during WoTLK.

They had some great moments, but everything I enjoyed about the game has been ruined.

You want a game that most of the fan base won't be able to run decently in a game where smooth performance is a must. Sounds like a disaster waiting to happen.

For those of you out of the loop WoW is a much different looking game from vanilla, it's night and day.

While this is true, the engine is also getting really fucking old and janky. I can run games like FFXIV, Witcher 3, etc cranked up to max and get better framerate than I do out of WoW.

I'm amazed at how poorly WoW runs on a 980ti.

I'm the opposite of mainstream. I want BC back, with raid progression and content that only 5% of the population ever sees. That's the only thing that would get me back, raiding now is shite.

nkarafo

There was a time when 40man raids looked like a stuff of legends and when someone had epic gear we would stand and emote "salute" them. Game felt pretty huge and it took me months to finally go to my first Molten Core and get my first purple piece. It felt like i was a part of something epic, but that's also because i had to be a peasant for some time.

Now everyone goes to end game dungeons and roams around with epic gear in no time. Because everyone has to have access to everything. Everyone looks so fancy with their flashy armor and colorful mounts. So, in other words...

syndrome-quote.jpg

While this is true, the engine is also getting really fucking old and janky. I can run games like FFXIV, Witcher 3, etc cranked up to max and get better framerate than I do out of WoW.

I'm amazed at how poorly WoW runs on a 980ti.

Holy shit this. I get more frame drops in WoW than I do in XIV (post DX11 patch at least). Its absolutely unbelievable, and doesn't even begin to excuse the "well you want more people to be able to run your game" argument. Have reliable low-medium settings, and optimize your game. There is nothing about wanting a modern WoW 2 or new Blizzard MMO equivalent that means that people don't want the game to run on a variety of hardware.

A new engine could be better optimized out the gate since it could be built to actually support all of the new effects they're stapling to the sides of the decade old jigsaw puzzle that makes up WoW.

Concept17

Heroes of the Storm is currently fulfilling my Blizzard desires. WoW was/is great, but too much of a time-sink for me these days.

WoW is one of those things that once you're "over it" you're really done with it. I tried coming back during Pandaria, played 2 hours and never ever thought about it again. I forgot where I was, didn't know where to go, basically like a lost puppy again. I thought I would miss it but after a couple hours I came to my senses .

KiteGr

Abolishment of subscription.(aka more like GW2)
Stop abandoning old content with power creep. (aka more like GW2)
Cast spells with the staff you're holding (aka more like GW2)
Keep having an epic world and story...(GW2 suck at this aspect actually)

CHC

I just want a game that is exciting again, and makes me collaborate with people in a meaningful way. That's the path to real fun (and addiction!). The game now awards everything so quickly and in such an automated manner that it doesn't feel like an ADVENTURE - it's just like some kind of whirlwind shopping trip. I miss the days of running dungeons because my friends needed a tank or because I felt like it.

If the group finder and resultant teleports were gone, the game would feel so much bigger and so much more like a WORLD. But sadly they just keep doubling down on the "play alone" mantra now that I can't see the game ever grabbing me for more than the first two weeks of each expansion pack.

HowZatOZ

Banned
There was a time when 40man raids looked like a stuff of legends and when someone had epic gear we would stand and emote "salute" them. Game felt pretty huge and it took me months to finally go to my first Molten Core and get my first purple piece. It felt like i was a part of something epic, but that's also because i had to be a peasant for some time.

Now everyone goes to end game dungeons and roams around with epic gear in no time. Because everyone has to have access to everything. Everyone looks so fancy with their flashy armor and colorful mounts. So, in other words...

syndrome-quote.jpg

This is also a big part of what killed WoW. Blizzard realised they couldn't keep the same model of BC/vanilla running through where effort was rewarded with being unique, so they turned to casualisation. That isn't a bad thing per say, but it definitely needed to be balanced far better than what the current game is like.

Swig_

One major piece that I really missed was the original Alterac Valley. What an amazing experience. It was so epic and so much fun. Everything from slowly pushing the lines and taking flags and towers to summoning wolf riders to buying gear from the AV vendor after working hard to earn it. The elite defenders and the bosses. The current (as far as I know, from WOTLK) version of AV is a shriveled, black shell of what it used to be.

I've never seen that experience in another game and I wonder if I ever will. If battlegrounds were like that again, I would play again.

thefil

A new game or major expansion designed around world interaction and spontaneous grouping (*not* zerging - grouping with communication).

Divus

There is pretty much nothing that would bring me back. Its a much different time in my life compared to when WoW was new.

Started playing shortly after the game came out. Game was so much different than anything else I've ever played. World was huge and mostly unexplored to everyone. The 20 and 40 man raids while a pain in the butt to organize where epic when they finally came together. Also I really enjoyed spending hours in Alterac Valley and matches in Warsong Gulch going for High Warlord.

After the first couple of expansions the world felt small, and everything kept taking less and less skill to get well geared. Not having to travel to a instance/raid at first seemed great, but the enjoyment of dueling and ganking Alliance out side waiting for everyone to show up was almost as good or better than the hours working on bosses for me.

GametimeUK

I'm done, the time has passed. Spending so much time on a game just isn't for me any more. I like to play multiple games constantly now. I used to jungle wow with other games too, but I don't want it to be my main game. I also wouldn't find it fun playing casually, my friends have moved on, I hate the thought of having to relearn everything and make new friends. I have had my time with it, it was great, but it's over.

Funny, I logged in the other day on a friends account and went to check out the old scenery (I forgot the game had changed) and ran out of Orgrimmar and turned left to get the Zep to Undercity... Yeah... that spot isn't there any more. Lol.

Chris R

If there was some form of a F2P Vanilla I'd download that and play for a few hours a month.

WoW wasn't TERRIBLE when I played it last for a few months after WoD came out, I just wasn't playing enough to justify spending the monthly subscription fee.

This is also a big part of what killed WoW. Blizzard realised they couldn't keep the same model of BC/vanilla running through where effort was rewarded with being unique, so they turned to casualisation. That isn't a bad thing per say, but it definitely needed to be balanced far better than what the current game is like.

Pretty much. I never did 40 man raids and never saw Sunwell Plateau until after it was old content, but it always gave me something to aspire to. The only thing to aspire to now is killing a harder version of the same thing you already killed. This ruined the game for me. I came back for Pandaria, and within 2 weeks i had killed Garrosh on LFR. Game was basically over for me at that point, no point doing anything else. "But dude it's LFR", all the hardcore casuals will tell you, but I just didn't care, i was done

If there was some form of a F2P Vanilla I'd download that and play for a few hours a month.

WoW wasn't TERRIBLE when I played it last for a few months after WoD came out, I just wasn't playing enough to justify spending the monthly subscription fee.

There is a very populated vanilla private server around, don't know if it's against gaf's ToS to actually say the name though. It has 11k or so population.

Nibiru

Banned
I don't have nearly enough time to actually be successful at anything the game anymore BUT I would still play very casually doing whatever in the game. The problem is that the game is just stale. It's so old now that no matter what they do it just feels samey.

I recently decided to play Black Desert Online and while it is a strange mmo in that there is no definitive end game at all, it looks beautiful and just feels fresh. I won't be playing that a ton either but in that game you can do pretty relevant things while you are afk which is perfect for while I'm working or whatever.

WoW needs a sequel imo. A new mmo in that world.

D

Deleted member 325805

Unconfirmed Member
I was part of the 1% for over 5 years, then I stopped for a few years and now I come back every year or so for a couple of months. I'm currently playing and enjoying it even if WoD isn't great (fuck the grind I had to do for flying, and fuck the Garrison). I doubt I'll ever be entirely done with the game, it was a major part of my life and I met some great people who I'm still friends with to this day.

Steel

Banned

syndrome-quote.jpg

Yeah, I remember the feeling when I finally put together my Grand Marshal PVP gear.

Then it became pointless as soon as Burning Crusade launched. And then purples started getting handed out like candy.... And they'd go obsolete every few patches. *sigh*

basically actual 'Warcraft'

so, changing the game from EQ into sort of Shadowbane or Lineage, maybe even sort of SWG.

I got into WoW mostly based on Warcraft 2 and WC3 as a setting. I played a lot based on that... a lot... probably as much or more than anyone. It was basically fueled purely on Horde pride and a hope to wage war on the Alliance. By the time TBC got out and we had space goats and basically pure Raid focus, I began to move on. Returned for WLK because Northrend was so darn good, but that's about it.

Bookoo

I don't think there is anything. I think the reason I got into WoW is because I was at a different point in life and around friends who were also really into it. I have a hard time getting deep into MMOs without a large social element pulling me in.

I also think I have burned out on that type of game that I can't help and always see the "carrot on the stick" and realize that this thing driving me forward is complete arbitrary and will lose it's appeal in a couple of months.

Get rid of the expansion system every 2-3 years, which makes the last 12months a borefest

Its 2016, just release a new 3-6 boss raid every bloody 6months and get a team to update barely visited areas with new stuff like quest chains.

Artdayne

Fire the current class designer and bring in someone who knows how to make classes interesting. Ghostcrawler did a good job but he's not leaving Riot games. They've dumbed down the classes so much that many of them are not fun to play.

I played for years, was a hardcore raider for a time in a top US guild but about the only thing that would really interest me in terms of raiding is if we see a Sargeras fight.

I never really played WoW "full time", I just like the lore of it and just play through the quests everytime an expansion comes out. Then let my sub lapse again, even though the world is amazing and worth spending time in it, the player base itself isn't to friendly (raids).

I never really played WoW "full time", I just like the lore of it and just play through the quests everytime an expansion comes out. Then let my sub lapse again, even though the world is amazing and worth spending time in it, the player base itself isn't to friendly (raids).

It was at the beginning and through the lich king expansion. The expansion afterwards it started (albeight slowly) to evolve in a bad way in a few ways (from my experience):

1) in the beginning, getting into pug groups and learning dungeons was a blast. You really didn't need to be in a guild yet and everyone was welcoming and easy to get along with.

2) Burning Crusade was pretty much the same thing as I wasn't in a guild yet and didn't really need to be.

3) in Lich King, I finally got into a guild and it was awesome. What was also noticeable is that we welcome non guild members into raids and helped them out as much as we could. Really looking forward to raid nights.

4) things started to change after that as thats when blizzard really started to tinker stuff a bit more often and the server (Llane) i was one took a nosedive to hell. The only way you could really do heroic dungeons & raids was with your guild...especially when expansion packs came out. the queue system to join pugs wasn't much better as either the wait times were so damn long or you will have people in the groups quit because we were going too slow or the item they wanted didn't drop.

5) last expansion pack was the end game for me. It was boring and I couldn't even join a guild as I was on total ignore on the server. Couldn't do nothing...so I quit.

So yea, the game went from an enjoyable experience to a place where only the "elite" are welcome and the rest...good luck but don't ask for help.

So, as a long time WoW player, let me address some issues that keep coming up and continue a cycle of misinformation about the game;

1. The game needs a graphical overhaul, it still looks like it did at launch!

Bullshit. The game looks much better than it did at launch, and is aesthetically one of the best games around. Blizzard's art style makes up for the lack of demanding graphics, and I'm not sure demanding graphics would really improve the experience. Rift was a great game at launch and was pretty demanding, but it was all washed out and the colors were so bland it was just not a fun game to look at. WoW has never had that problem. I suggest checking YouTube for comparison videos to really see the difference between Vanilla and Mists\Warlords-era WoW.

2. They made the game too Easy.

Oh this one never gets old. People claim that by adding multiple levels to raids (LFR/Normal/Heroic/Mythic) they have made the game too easy. Alright then, lets see all of your Mythic Achievements. Oh you don't have them because you did the raid on LFR? Then that's on you. As someone who raided during TBC and WotLK, I can tell you it wasn't all sunshine and rainbows back when it was "Hard". Do yo know how much it sucked spending 4 hours a night on a single boss, for a week straight before downing him once? It was soul-crushingly miserable. There was a reason T5 killed so many guilds, it wasn't all that fun. WotLK messed up by having Naxx tuned poorly (my guild hilariously got server-first "Momma Said Knock You Out" because we wanted to see how the instance was tuned), but Ulduar through ICC were tough as nails, and at times they too were not fun raids to do.

You can't chose to do the easiest content and complain it's too easy.

3. They just throw Epics at people, gear isn't meaningful.

Bullshit to the extreme. The barrier between people and getting gear in Vanilla was insane--and a lot of times those Epics were itemized like crap. The nitty gritty to it is this, in Vanilla and TBC, the difference between Tiers was something like 10-20 Item Levels--the metric used to determine stat distribution--compared to now when the difference between just Heroic Dungeons and the first LFR Raid Tier is 35. The difference between Heroics in TBC and Tier 4, was 10 item levels. That means the difference between LFR Raid Gear and Heroic Gear n WoD is 3.5x as large as it was between Karazhan and Heroics in TBC.

Gear has more of an impact now than it did back then, and there is way more of it. In Vanilla you would have a total of something like 15 items in an entire instance, with each boss dropping 3-5 different items--and half the time none of them were even usable by your class. Now, you down a boss and it is guaranteed to have at least 1 item you can use for your class/spec. There were times in TBC where I went weeks without spending DKP on a new item, because we just didn't get anything I could use--that doesn't really happen as much anymore. There is a lot more individual progression, and you at least get the chance to do LFR each week to replace gear you normally would be stuck with.

4. I miss Vanilla too much, that's when the game was the best.

This one never gets old. Really? Vanilla was the game at its best and most fun? You miss it taking a solid month of near nonstop play to get to max level? You miss spending 1-3 hours trying to find a group to do any dungeon in the days before LFG/LFR? You miss spending dozens of hours mindlessly killing mobs to farm rep for factions that did basically nothing, but had 1 item you absolutely needed to do 1 fight in a raid your guild otherwise had on farm? You miss waiting for 39 other people to get online so you could do a raid--where at any given time 5-15 of them just wouldn't even be paying attention? You miss the days when there was literally 1 viable spec for each Class, and if you didn't like it you were shit oughta luck? The days when PvP had even less viable specs, and it usually was Rogue's, Mage's, Priest's, and Druid's determining who won?

I don't think so. Wildstar tried to whole "return to hardcore" shtick, and nobody stuck around because they realized how time-consuming everything was. A lot of the people who played WoW through Vanilla and TBC were in their teens or early 20's at the time, and now all those people are entering their late 20's or 30's, and have too many responsibilities to spend 6 hours a day playing WoW.

wihio

As someone who quit before Cataclysm and barely pushed into the real end game content of WotLK, I hereby request a free spinoff of the PvP stuff. Yeah, jack it full of hats and other ephemeral pay stuff, I don't mind. I would love to queue up and play some 3v3 or 5v5 like I queue up for Dota 2. Let me grind levels and gem my shit like LoL,and I will still play.

The raids were fun, but really only because I "knew" the people I played with. Hundreds of hours of hanging out with random people across the planet and occasionally squashing bugs together was fun.. I can't say I am "friends" with many like that in games any more...

Fugu

4. I miss Vanilla too much, that's when the game was the best.

This one never gets old. Really? Vanilla was the game at its best and most fun? You miss it taking a solid month of near nonstop play to get to max level? You miss spending 1-3 hours trying to find a group to do any dungeon in the days before LFG/LFR? You miss spending dozens of hours mindlessly killing mobs to farm rep for factions that did basically nothing, but had 1 item you absolutely needed to do 1 fight in a raid your guild otherwise had on farm? You miss waiting for 39 other people to get online so you could do a raid--where at any given time 5-15 of them just wouldn't even be paying attention? You miss the days when there was literally 1 viable spec for each Class, and if you didn't like it you were shit oughta luck? The days when PvP had even less viable specs, and it usually was Rogue's, Mage's, Priest's, and Druid's determining who won?

I don't think so. Wildstar tried to whole "return to hardcore" shtick, and nobody stuck around because they realized how time-consuming everything was. A lot of the people who played WoW through Vanilla and TBC were in their teens or early 20's at the time, and now all those people are entering their late 20's or 30's, and have too many responsibilities to spend 6 hours a day playing WoW.
You're right that many of us (myself included) don't have the time to dedicate to be the king of vanilla WoW, but that's fine. Most of us weren't the kings of vanilla Wow then, either. There is fundamentally an appeal to a game that makes you work for stuff and forces you to make tough choices, even if those choices are somewhat transparent (given that WoW has always had a low number of specs -- although it wasn't nearly as bad as you're making it out to be).

That pre-WoW style MMOs is not popular is not because of their quality but because they require a much greater amount of commitment than an entirely streamlined theme park MMO. WoW is now, until the absolute top level, a single-player game that occasionally features other actors behaving in ways that, ideally, make them indistinguishable from bots. It is not unreasonable for people to miss WoW the MMO.

To directly respond to some of your criticisms...
- Yes, I do miss it taking a long time to get to max level. On high population servers this was fun -- I had many friends who played the game for years without ever touching the endgame.
- I seldom spent anywhere near that long looking for a group unless I was adamant about going to a specific instance.
- I like mindlessly killing mobs; it's relaxing. The vast majority of my MMO experience is pre-WoW and comes from a time where grinding was the main gameplay experience. I got a great amount of enjoyment of finding creative and efficient ways to do it. Ironically, the only reason that grinding is not so great in vanilla WoW (and perhaps moreso in subsequent versions) was that Blizzard really went through a ton of effort to streamline expected efficiency. Back in the day I got a prot warrior to level 60 playing mostly solo; it wasn't great but I'd still take it over modern WoW.
- We scheduled our raids.

- Yes, I do miss it taking a long time to get to max level. On high population servers this was fun -- I had many friends who played the game for years without ever touching the endgame.

The world was also more confined at that time, and if we went back to Vanilla people would complain constantly about getting ganked by high level players and that it was taking too long. The medium as a whole has progressed. The main reason it took so long to level back then was essentially to buy time for them to fix/prepare new content. In some ways I kind of wish they would go back to getting content out in a timely fashion, but that's a separate complaint.

- I seldom spent anywhere near that long looking for a group unless I was adamant about going to a specific instance.

I was in one of the few near 50/50 servers during TBC, and it easily took 15-30 minutes of searching for a tank or healer, and then 10-15 minutes to get everyone to the instance. This was on a good day. On a bad day it took 3-5 times as long to do each of these, and it always meant having 1 person sit in town spamming in trade chat looking for someone. It just wasn't fun. And you mention being adamant about specific instances, because of the way loot worked you were basically strong armed into favoring specific dungeons. This isn't even touching on attunement--that Karazhan attunement in TBC was a nigthmare because nobody wanted to do Black Morass.

- I like mindlessly killing mobs; it's relaxing. The vast majority of my MMO experience is pre-WoW and comes from a time where grinding was the main gameplay experience. I got a great amount of enjoyment of finding creative and efficient ways to do it. Ironically, the only reason that grinding is not so great in vanilla WoW (and perhaps moreso in subsequent versions) was that Blizzard really went through a ton of effort to streamline expected efficiency. Back in the day I got a prot warrior to level 60 playing mostly solo; it wasn't great but I'd still take it over modern WoW.

There is nothing stopping you from doing that now, but WoW has never been the game for grinding--Blizzard has actively discouraged it. The proliferation of quests that came with Vanilla WoW and was expanded in TBC really drove home that Blizzard didn't think Grinding Mobs should be part of the MMORPG genre--and I can't say I disagree. If you like mindlessly killing monsters I highly suggest something like Diablo III, or maybe some Asian MMO's where grinding is still a big part of the gameplay.

- We scheduled our raids.

Most people did, but it's unreasonable to expect all 40 people to be ready at 6/7/8/whenever at night and not have some things come up. Even in TBC it wasn't uncommon for us with 25-man groups to have people no-show last minute, or have emergency's here and there. Life happens, and the more people you were dependent on the more obvious that became.

Beatrix

Bring me back to being 13-16 years old.

On a serious note, if WoW PvP had a huge active scene and was decently balanced/fun (regarding arenas and battlegrounds) I would definitely come back. I was playing casually for WoD but it really lost its magic to me due to me being older, lack of an active social circle for me, and time constraints.

Kalnos

Banned

I really think it's easy to pin Wildstar's failure on 'hardcore lolol' when it was much more than that. It was a goddamn buggy mess and there have been ex-Carbine employees who have posted here on gaf as well as on Reddit attesting to how horrible their development setup was and how simple bugs and changes could go months without being fixed because of the management. Crappy dungeon medal system, broken PvP system, bugged story quests (I remember one in Wilderrun that was literally bugged for months), unfinished professions, etc. Also for what its worth the difficulty of Wildstar was well beyond that of Vanilla WoW. People who think Vanilla WoW was 'hard' are clearly not remembering how easy it actually was for the most part. It was definitely time-consuming though.

With that said, there's clearly some kind of audience for older servers. P99 for EQ and Runesape 2007 seem to have built themselves nice little communities as well. I'm not saying they would be more popular the modern WoW/FFXIV/etc but there's clearly some untapped demand there.

I also find the "everyone is grown up" argument weird since ya'know, there are still kids around.

lazygecko

The appeal of the vanilla era was that the different mechanics and systems of that time, or rather the lack of them, also brought with it an entirely different social dynamic, which more often than not served to facilitate interacting with other players and forming bonds. Whereas today everything is so heavily systemized and automated that the social experience is more akin to fleeting chat roulette encounters. Then there's the balance and viability aspect of the game design, which has undoubtedly improved tenfold, but this has also been at a very steep cost of basically sterilizing the game experience. MrBTongue had a great video on this where he brought up how modern RPGs in general, as a sort of countermeasure to the modern age of easily accessible online guides and proliferation of minmaxing, are so overly balanced that it starts to erode some of the core appeals of that traditional grandiose RPG experience.

In both of these cases it's no longer something you could really get away with reversing. The genie is out of the bottle and people have fundamentally different expectations these days.

Yoda

I don't game at all anymore, but I was in the original WoW beta -> off and on until the end of MoP. The devs had an identity crisis from mid Wotlk onwards. They didn't know if they wanted to be an MMO or what I'm going to call a "lobby" game where the world was scenery for raid content which was developed for way too many demographics.

By the time MoP was over, the problem Cata suffered from where there was no reason to actually explore the world was back. This happened despite the devs putting a hefty amount of incentives outside the Shrines. However, the reason it happened was because the game had slowly removed the RPG elements in an attempt to make aspects of the game more accessible to casual players (casual == can't commit large amounts of time to the game). It's been debated to death whether this is what really did the game in or if it was age or if it was sometimes trying to walk-back the casual-access (see tier 11).

Only speaking for myself here: I remember the days of Vanilla WoW as the best I'd ever had in the life of the series. Back then Azeroth felt like an actual world, not a collection of zones. Some areas had special quests, for special items which didn't seem to have a purpose... but later, you'd discover ON YOUR OWN that certain items had very cool functionality. I remember farming blasted land boars for our first Patchwerk kills in Naxxramas. I remember clearing BRD for super specific purposes and leaving half the dungeon alive -> even doing so to zone into MC. I bitched up a storm at the time that we weren't allowed to just zone into MC... in retrospect I enjoyed it more than I was willing to admit, having all of our guild online at the same time and not being in a stressful progression environment (eventually clearing trash replaced this).

Crossroads <-> ashenvale PvP? When the game was fresh and everyone's gear was ass, and no one knew how to spec it always felt like a fair fight. No one cared about honor kills, people used general chat for things other than chuck norris jokes. You got to explore an area that you most likely didn't see leveling up (Ashenvale for horde, Barrens for Alliance). Once again, I was induced to experience the world, I wasn't incentivized for daily badges, a quest where I follow the waypoints and kill or click crap; Everyone had an excuse to meet new people.

By the time I had sold my account, if I wanted to do a dungeon, I clicked on my UI and stood there. If I wanted to run a CM, I scheduled it w/friends in advance, if I wanted to PvP I clicked in my UI, if I wanted to make gold, I clicked my auction flipping add-on (I actually had to move my character to the auction NPC!). Raid time? In MoP the only raid that had a commute was ToT, everything else took 10 seconds to fly too. Raiding itself? I retired form the hardcore scene when you had to raid every waking hour of release to compete, I had all the strategies in advance, it was a matter of getting the guild to learn the strat -> farm the gear to beat the checks. Being entirely honest, I hadn't been having fun for a long time, the social bonds are what kept me there; but it could have been more, the game felt corporate, there were no risks with new content, it was more of the same. In trying to please everyone, the pleased no one.

What would make me give it another shot if I could find the time to play? Blizzard leaving Activision, going private, hiring a 100% new dev team and starting from scratch from an idea perspective. It doesn't need to be Vanilla/TBC like at all, it just needs to have it's own identity, and not implicitly apologize for not catering to everyone with every bit of new content (casual, hardcore, or in-between).

I played on a pvp server since vanilla and this reads like madness to me. Raids were a mess of pre-grinding and too large groups, most classes had specs that were useless shitty or super nonfun to play, you were lalways doing the same instances.

The only thing vanilla had against BC and Wrath was the fact that the world was small and non-splintered so you had Gankfests like Nesi camp. All the actual gameplay and pve content got better later. Sure as a druid I could gank people in badlands until they'd cry and ragequit but what if I wanted to do dps in a raid or heaven forbid even tank? Or hey, remember when you needed to have 4 warrior tanks in to raid Naxx?

I can only assume people want vanilla back because they miss being 10 years younger than now.

- On raiding, assuming you were on the "cusp" of raiding given you were in Naxx, was it really more enjoyable trying to replicate videos/strats than figuring out a boss yourself (even if the mechanics were lame by today's standards?)

- Pre-grinding before raids is still a thing, anything with a DPS check => gear check => 95% of the raiding population doesn't play their class @ max efficiency, so you are grinding, just in another way (raid lockouts)

- I'd take being ganked or harassed any-day of the week over the "world content" we got in the form of repetitive boring daily quests.

- Bear druids with the green spell-hit rings works just as well as tanks for the 4 horesmen fight. It was actually easier because the tanks needed 4 piece T3 for the spell-hit and that required gimping the best DPS (rogues)... assuming you ignore the fights they can't help on cause melee. More interestingly, Blizzard was willing to make fights like this back then. Nowadays they'd get screamed at by the "not fair side" -> cave -> then the "stop watering down the game side" would whine, no one wins because the fight is lame and the people who are normally in the "not fair side" usually bitch about content not coming out fast enough.

Missing Vanilla isn't just nostalgia, Vanilla was a different game for better or worse and by the time Wotlk was over, most of what made it different was gone and we don't know how it could have turned out had the devs stayed the course. Of course at the time I cheered most of the changes, but reflecting back I can honestly say I admired the game more in it's earlier state than what it's become.

MisterNoisy

Fuck no. I bailed right at the end of TBC and came back briefly after the panda xpack, but the magic was definitely gone for me by that time. Ultimately, I think I'm done with MMOs in general.

HF2014

MMO are dead for me. Iv tried everything to get back. Everquest, a vanilla WoW free server ( thinking the cost of the sub was my holding point ), Guild Wars, Rift, DnD, nothing can be reversed. It need to be re-invented. Sure lots of people bite with Destiny, but for me it was just a online Borderlands. MMO were great, something new need to happen.

Top Bottom