• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examiner Rumor: Xbox One GPU upclock yay - 12 GB Ram probably nay (source is NOT B3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
Microsoft would be stupid to remove the Kinect. It's its ace in the hole and the one thing differentiating it from being just another game console.
I don't think the Kinect is moving software right now. Core gamers never liked the device and I don't see casuals flocking to a $500 console right now either.

Adding RAM is one of the few things that can be changed this late isn't it? It depends on MS, are they willing to spend more. They should in my opinon, for the sake of multiplatform games.

If you double the density sure...

However if they run in dual mode you will lose speed unless they are the same.

2 4GB for example become 1 4GB and 1 8GB and now aren't able to run in dual channel mode.

So you get more ram but it runs even slower and costs more.

Now you could redesign the motherboard for tri-channel... Then you delay the system more. Memory only comes in 1,2,4,8,16 & 32. Which pretty much confirms dual-channel. Unless I'm mistaken. The AMD CPU/GPU chips motherboards are designed with dual-channel.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Less than 6 months till the system is out, they start asking developers what kind of hardware they'd like?

Is anyone buying this?

Oh yes. I completely buy into the idea that they will change the motherboard design spec for the retail box to have additional ram slots, or to change out ram chips they may have already ordered for other larger capacity chips, and to have them shipped to manufacturing facilities.

I also believe that that can keep playing with clock speeds on chips and boards up until the last minute, whatever they like.

This will have absolutely no affect or effect this close to mass production schedules. *cough*

BigDug13

If you double the density sure...

However if they run in dual mode you will lose speed unless they are the same.

2 4GB for example become 1 4GB and 1 8GB and now aren't able to run in dual channel mode.

So you get more ram but it runs even slower and costs more.

Now you could redesign the motherboard for tri-channel... Then you delay the system more. Memory only comes in 1,2,4,8,16 & 32. Which pretty much confirms dual-channel. Unless I'm mistaken. The AMD CPU/GPU chips motherboards are designed with dual-channel.

Yeah I didn't think about the dual channel thing. 12 does seem like a strange number.

Nozem

My sources tell me MS is releasing one of these:

O9Y0Lxb.jpg

Smash

Banned
More wishful thinking by questionable sources, Xbox fans like Reiko and ekim continue the tradition of FUD. Btw even talking about a possible addition of RAM this late shows what an idiot the writer is.

Alx

More wishful thinking by questionable sources, Xbox fans like Reiko and ekim continue the tradition of FUD.

That would be reverse-FUD.
FUD = Fear Uncertainty Doubt = spreading bad rumors to give a bad buzz to a product.
A rumor about a spec increase is doing the opposite.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Here's a different question. They promised a November release. At least one retailer is sold out online at least, indicating they knew an allotment of consoles. That means they were given an allotment based off of a share of a predicted production of consoles derived from a production schedule, and information given by production facilities, and parts suppliers. How do you not ruin the schedule or allotment allocated/promised to a retailer with changes made this late in the game?

sublimit

Banned
I don't think the Kinect is moving software right now. Core gamers never liked the device and I don't see casuals flocking to a $500 console right now either.

I think their plan is to get the core gamers to support the console for the launch (and its first 2-3 years) and then turn a more casual face once they drop the price a bit with Kinect being on the forefront.I think MS's bet on kinect is way further down the line.

derFeef

I don't believe this really. Such a minor OC would bring more trouble than benefit imho in terms of heat and stuff like that, no?

can they up the specs at this point ?

i mean it would be great if they do but is it possible ?

The only logical options is they upgraded it before production actually started...somehow without any of us knowing.

Still the Ram can be debunked... The Overclock is nearly impossible, especially if yield issues (which evidence supports) are a concern. It'd be a different story if they were able to allocate as much or more systems for pre-orders than the PS4. Which is not the case.

Losing more sales to a slight overclock and having another catastrophic failure rate isn't worth it.

Lowering the initial install base even further would result in less support, as developers will start optimizing there PS4 efforts more and more exclusives might be announced the bigger the gap gets. This is a dangerous game, way to close to release.

Short version: Changing the specs this late in the game is a very dangerous game... The risks are to great thus it wouldn't be rational for a corporation.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
Article reads like its not written by a very smart person at all, so calls into question just what kind of source they'd pay more attention to when they really shouldn't.

The extra RAM is nonsense. Manufacture would have been sent into a total catostrophe that would miss a launch this year or turn up with absolutely paltry amounts of units.

Source is wrong

Xbox one is actually getting 16GB of GDDR5 RAM and switching to dual Nvidia Titans for the GPU. That's why the case is so big.

Guymelef

RAM increase rumour has no sense, they had since February 20th fot "try" and went to E3 with 8GB, and finally they decide to do it near the date of production.

Fox_Mulder

Rockefellers. Skull and Bones. Microsoft. Al Qaeda. A Cabal of Bankers. The melting point of steel. What do these things have in common? Wake up sheeple, the landfill wasn't even REAL!
Must be dat secret souce polygon guy talked about

Elios83

LOL it seems a few people can't deal with it.
The console is as good as in production at this point. Change in RAM is pure fantasy, upclock is extremely unlikely, as it would give a really insignificant performance gain while having a strong impact on yields which must not be that good in first place considering the stock allocations that retailers got for preorders. Not to consider that they would have to deal with extra heat and power dissipation. All that for a meaningless performance improvement.
Give it a rest.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom