• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examiner Rumor: Xbox One GPU upclock yay - 12 GB Ram probably nay (source is NOT B3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatline

Banned

This is a serious matter why are you laughing? After the dual bus upgrade of the ESRAM that isn't really dual bus but acts like it because of some magic programming only Microsoft engineers managed to invent circumventing the laws of physics now we finally have the 2 APU upgrade.

Finally, Microsoft's master plan is becoming clear, Reiko was right all along.

Hardware changes outside of clock speed adjusting this late in the game?

Get fucking real. Like seriously use your heads, people.

Espada

Examiner is about as reliable as Forbes Contributors. Basically anyone with a keyboard can write for them.

None of this is going to happen. The bone will come out in November for $499 with 8GB RAM and an 800MHz or lower GPU.

I mean, to have enough units for a worldwide launch in November they'd need to start production this month. This is way too late for any kind of upclock, and it'd ultimately be meaningless as it doesn't do much to close the gap. When EPIC asked for more RAM on the 360 (for Gears of War) it was well before the console's launch. This latest slew of rumors about magical upgrades to the Xbox One is kind of bizarre.

Busty

Banned
All 'rumours' like this speak to are the worries potential Xbone customers have about the consoles specs.

It's fanboy tech day dreaming. Nothing more.

The only way to do this is to ship devkits come this november. xD

When RAM will start becoming more of an issue, they'll just let developers use more ram for games, taking away OS functionality.

That's the only thing that will increase XB1's ram availability.

A GPU clock speed increase won't give it more ROPs, shaders, etc...

In the end it will be a small performance increase, I don't think it'll be worth it from a durability/reliability point of view.

They should instead make Kinect 2.0 optional and lower the price to 350.

CorrisD

badchoiceboobies
There's a reason why you don't see the Examiner on NeoGaf as a source for anything, and it isn't because they are just too darn reliable with anything.

eastmen

Banned
A GPU clock speed increase won't give it more ROPs, shaders, etc...

In the end it will be a small performance increase, I don't think it'll be worth it from a durability/reliability point of view.

They should instead make Kinect 2.0 optional and lower the price to 350.
Performance isnt just about rops and shaders. Clock speed also plays a roll. If the gpu was clocked an additional 200mhz faster youd increase overall performance up to 25%

Performance isnt just about rops and shaders. Clock speed also plays a roll. If the gpu was clocked an additional 200mhz faster youd increase overall performance up to 25%

Yes, but not having the ROPs and shaders won't allow for some graphical effects that will be possible on PS4, no matter how much they increase the GPU clock.

I'm not a technical person, but if they added 4 GB of RAM, could they make that RAM specific to the two other OS components that are included in the Xbox One? In other words, have it focused solely on fast switching, maintaining the TV tuner, keeping the OS apps running, etc. while the other 8 GB are assigned solely to the Xbox gaming "OS"?

Elios83

Why are people so caught up in calling the RAM rumor BS when the OP says it's not happening?

Maybe because it all started from an other fanboy techdream on B3D and Examiner is just elaborating on that citing their own sources but you know.........at least they realize that the RAM upgrade is impossible.
GPU upclock is really unlikely as well because it would be meaningless, negatives (worse yields, more heat and power consumption thus higher risk of hardware failures) would considerably surpass the only benefit of an insignificant performance improvement.
It's just that a few fans can't deal with what the XboxOne is.

vpance

Are you the source of the upclock rumor?
http://forum.beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1761253&postcount=4267

eastmen said:
I've gotten some PMs here and at Neogaf talking about a modest upclock for the xbox one. The 4 messages I received from 4 different accounts ( could be the same person but some of them are accounts from years ago) all state 75mhz for the gpu at this stage and it may go up slightly more.

I don't know how accurate this is. But perhaps this is where the increase in bandwidth is really coming from and MS simply wont ever announce clock speeds for the chip ?

We'll see if any of this is true when MS releases detailed specs. I'm calling bs on GPU up clock if MS isn't willing to share clock speed.

1YRg3Qg.png

Thinking about this again, it's kind of in line with some of their previous statements like "Not targetting the highest possible specs". Instead "efficiency" "balance".
Nothing wrong about the statement in itself, but stuff you say when your specs are inferior to the competition. And then of course SUPERCOMPUTER.

Even the fanboys on GAF do better spinning than that.

The people who invented this rumour are laughing their asses of behind their computer screens at work by now.

I'm gonna go ahead and dismiss this as another poor attempt at riling up the MS fan masses. It's a pretty sad state of affairs really. MS should have just announced their specs and put everyone out of their misery.

The only way there is going to be any last many hardware changes is if they were decided on by Mattrick before he left; cuz that person will be crucified if there are any issues even remotely as serious as the RRoD.

Yoday

We'll see if any of this is true when MS releases detailed specs. I'm calling bs on GPU up clock if MS isn't willing to share clock speed.
The specs you have are the only specs MS will ever release. We won't know detailed specs until the system comes out and people do a tear down.

Ce-Lin

I find it very weird that specs are still being playing around with, then again when is the Xbox One official launch ? have they extensively tested retail units with this GPU "overclock" ? or has it been like this since the beginning and now being unlocked ? Microsoft not releasing specs for the hardware is causing confusion and doing a poor job for marketing, nothing worse than wild Internet speculation.

Cheech

Microsoft is so lost in this business... I wonder how the investors feel right now.

Well, there are two Xbox 360 customers to be concerned about right now.

1. Guys who went 360 because the PS3 was such a cluster fuck in the beginning. Brand agnostic. Stuck with the 360 due to superior multiplat games, and having bought into the ecosystem early.

2. Guys who buy Madden and CoD, call it good, will transition to Xbone because they are brand loyal.

Microsoft should be terrified of the #1 customer right now, because it represents the "first wave" of console purchasers. It is guys like myself, who are going PS4 because we don't like the idea of an underpowered and pricier Xbone. Then, the people we know will also go PS4 to game with the #1s, and eventually Microsoft loses the #2 crowd as well.

That's a gross oversimplification, but yeah. Anyone who has been following this industry long enough is not optimistic about Microsoft right now.

That said, I'm sure the Xbone will still do ok in the end. They may very well be the PS3 of this gen, where they end up catching up in the end. Both systems look to have fairly bright futures, it's not like we are talking a Wii U style megabomb.

Kyon

Banned
Not people getting their hopes up. RIP

This is not a credible site. Any random can make an article there.

EDIT: Oh just saw who the OP was smh

Rashid

Banned
Obviously someone at the examiner.com reads B3D, got the rubble from there and published it, and OP thought it was a new source.

Interfectum

That said, I'm sure the Xbone will still do ok in the end. They may very well be the PS3 of this gen, where they end up catching up in the end. Both systems look to have fairly bright futures, it's not like we are talking a Wii U style megabomb.

I think Xbone's biggest problem is worldwide adoption. In the U.S. it'll do fine. In the UK, probably the same. But everywhere else? I think it's going to be brutal.

Riky

$MSFT
I doubt these upgrade rumours are true this late in the day unless launch is delayed, however looking at Forza 5 at 1080p & 60fps I'm not really concerned anyway. It looks as good as I hoped next gen would be.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom