• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examiner Rumor: Xbox One GPU upclock yay - 12 GB Ram probably nay (source is NOT B3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
The whole angle of spreading disinformation to 3rd party devs is a nice touch. To prevent leaks...of good news? That's a first.

nib95

Banned
I'll take any and all hardware improvements thanks. Hope the up clock is true! There was rumours that Sony was also doing this.

Edit: Is this debunked already? Secret Sauce version 7,345,289 out the window?

ekim

I wonder why nobody take time to go to source of examiner?

Cause if we check them we see many things:

1- Source of Examiner is Xbox Uncut

2- The same Xbox Uncut link two sources Beyond 3D and Engadget.

3- For those two sources, one is outdated for Engadget (21 may 2013) and since there was Xbox reveal and E3 and confirmed 8 Go DDR3 RAM and other is a non reliable source on Beyond 3D.

Why nobody care?

If you would read the article you would see that he explicitly mentions a dedicated source.

. But when I approached a trusted source of mine regarding them... I was surprised by the answer, to say the least.

Essentially, my source has confirmed that the increase in GPU clock speed is 100% true, with the increase happening in direct response to the PlayStation 4. The increase has been a reality since before the reveal, as they have "been reacting to Sony ever since the first leaks of both systems." The news of this bump in clock speed was announced to first parties only, as they "actively spread disinformation to 3rd parties just before reveal to prevent leaks."

i-Lo

I'll take any and all hardware improvements thanks. Hope the up clock is true! There was rumours that Sony was also doing this.

Edit: Is this debunked already? Secret Sauce version 7,345,289 out the window?

I don't think Sony will risk YLOD due to over-heating. The rumours of up clock are associated with CPU afaik but I'd love if they squeeze out 50MHz more from GPU (which will not happen).

But Xbone hardware realistically needs little to no improvement because the slack will be picked up by the cloud which essentially is like 3 x Xbone + Xbone.

ekim

So a fictional rumor by B3D coincidentally turns out to be true. My God, I love this thread.

Would you kindly stop spinning my words into console war fuel? I just pointed to the fact that the author of the article says, that he asked his source (whose track record seems to have at least 2 entries) about this B3D rumor.

I am not a game developer so maybe I am just not understanding something, but... If GTA V (and other high profile games) can look as good as it does on 2005 hardware with 512MB RAM then how in the hell does TitanFall even get close to using 5GB of RAM? I understand that assets will be higher resolution, character polygon counts will be higher, and geometry will be more detailed but there is no way a multiplayer game that only has 16 players in a match is using 5GB of RAM. Battlefield 3 never even came close to using anywhere near that.

gaming_noob

But Xbone hardware realistically needs little to no improvement because the slack will be picked up by the cloud which essentially is like 3 x Xbone + Xbone.

Holy crap. You still won't let that go eh? Seems like every one of your post is about that. It's getting obnoxious-level.

coldfoot

Banned
Fortunately there is a product for people who think 1.2TF in a console is too low, it's called the PS4.
Then again, fortunately there is a product for those who think 1.8TF is too low, it's called the PC.

Flatline

Banned
Would you kindly stop spinning my words into console war fuel? I just pointed to the fact that the author of the article says, that he asked his source (whose track record seems to have at least 2 entries) about this B3D rumor.

Um, why are you taking this personally, are you the author of the article or something? You might enjoy posting these rumors but you're not as bad as Reiko who insisted on his bullshit so I have no beef with you, on the contrary I find these threads quite entertaining.

Clear

CliffyB's Cock Holster
kaching said:
The whole angle of spreading disinformation to 3rd party devs is a nice touch. To prevent leaks...of good news? That's a first.

I know, it makes absolutely no sense. The whole thing reeks to me of advance damage control in case the initial raft of 3rd party software performs significantly better on Sony's hardware.

There's been an ongoing mantra from the Xbone camp (mostly via "leaks") for a long time now that suddenly performance is going to shoot up. For a long time it was "oh, those guys were using an outdated xdk", which eventually segued into these claims that the gpu has formerly undocumented features that increase performance, and now that its suddenly so stable that it can be upclocked safely.

Reading between the lines this says to me that they have, and have had for quite awhile now, serious performance issues that they are hoping to rectify before launch day. This is not the sort of thing you hear about a project that is running smoothly to expectations.

ekim

Um, why are you taking this personally are you the author of the article or something? You might enjoy posting these rumors but you're not as bad as Reiko so I have no beef with you, on the contrary I find these threads quite entertaining.

No I'm not the author - but your last post didn't read like it was related to the quote from the article but rather my rectification

i-Lo

Holy crap. You still won't let that go eh? Seems like every one of your post is about that. It's getting obnoxious-level.

As obnoxious as these rumours post hardware reveal? I'm simply reiterating what MS has said nigh verbatim. At this rate it wouldn't surprise me rumours continue to pour in even after actual launch thanks to the existence of firmware upgrades.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
As unbelievalbe as it sounds, if it turns out to be true the Xbone will sure go down as the biggest clusterfuck in MS history. LOL

LiquidMetal14

hide your water-based mammals
So much of this Xbone saga has been almost laughable. Not that one can give them flack for doing this but the half assed nature of things are really telling.

This company is being ran by idiots.

Then there's the "reputable" source.

Flatline

Banned
No I'm not the author - but your last post didn't read like it was related to the quote from the article but rather my rectification

You explained to a poster the author's actual claims and I mocked these ridiculous claims, not you. The article is full of moronic inconsistencies, I'm just having fun with them.

I asked the author for his source's track record and this was his response:
http://www.examiner.com/article/rumor-ubisoft-revealing-new-racing-ip-called-the-crew-at-e3-2013
http://www.examiner.com/article/first-screenshot-of-assassin-s-creed-black-flag-surfaces

I checked both articles and yep: he was the first confirming the name for AC:BF and the first screenshot came from him if I didn't mix things up:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512183

And his confirmation on "The Crew" was also right:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570561

That is interesting...

If this is true, we'll definitely hear something by gamescom

Averon

There's been an ongoing mantra from the Xbone camp (mostly via "leaks") for a long time now that suddenly performance is going to shoot up. For a long time it was "oh, those guys were using an outdated xdk", which eventually segued into these claims that the gpu has formerly undocumented features that increase performance, and now that its suddenly so stable that it can be upclocked safely.

Yup. People need to come to terms with the PS4-Xbone situation. The Xbone is what it is. The Xbone will not get a sudden power boost that will equalize it with the PS4 ~4 months before launch. Some people, I think, are still shell shocked that MS, with all their money, and Sony, with all their financial problems, designed hardware that was the exact reverse of what they assumed (MS can go big on performance; Sony cannot). MS sacrificed performance for largely non-gaming related features (and Kinect 2.0) and lost the RAM gamble (going with DDR3 instead of GDDR5). The sooner people accept this fact, the easier it will be for them.

watership

As unbelievalbe as it sounds, if it turns out to be true the Xbone will sure go down as the biggest clusterfuck in MS history. LOL

If it's true, it's been in the works for months, you don't add ram and change clock speed on a weekend. PR clusterfucks are not the same as actual cluserfucks.

ekim

That is interesting...

If this is true, we'll definitely hear something by gamescom

I would say we get some more specs on the Hotchips conference.
http://hotchips.org/

Code:
5:10 PM 	Processors 3 	SPARC64 X+ : Fujitsu’s next generation processor for the UNIX servers 	Toshio Yoshida 	Fujitsu
		Bixby: the Scalability and Coherency Directory ASIC in Oracle’s M5/M6-32 Systems 	Thomas Wicki and Jurgen Schulz 	Oracle
		[B]XBOX One Silicon 	John Sell and Pat O’Connor 	Microsoft[/B]

And/Or on the AMD APU 13 summit
http://developer.amd.com/apu/

Taiser

Essentially, my source has confirmed that the increase in GPU clock speed is 100% true, with the increase happening in direct response to the PlayStation 4. The increase has been a reality since before the reveal, as they have "been reacting to Sony ever since the first leaks of both systems."

"since before the reveal"

so it's not a last minute thing since it was already "a reality" since before May 21 ?

also

"as they have been reacting to Sony ever since the first leaks of both systems"

really? in what regard?

gaming_noob

As obnoxious as these rumours post hardware reveal? I'm simply reiterating what MS has said nigh verbatim. At this rate it wouldn't surprise me rumours continue to pour in even after actual launch thanks to the existence of firmware upgrades.

I don't find rumor threads to be obnoxious. I find posts saying the exact same thing over and over just to spite is though, and it appears to be a common theme in Xbox threads.

ekim

Respawn have been vocal about the 5gb being a hindrance?

Where? I don't remember this.

It was in the GI cover story from last month:
Respawn also revealed that they were initially having trouble making the game work using the 5GB of GDDR3 RAM available on the Xbox One, but have made up for it by using Microsoft’s cloud computing to run many of the physics and AI calculations. The article notes that Titanfall will have “unlimited dedicated servers” for cloud computing, and without them the game would have been “impossible” to develop.

http://wegotthiscovered.com/gaming/respawn-entertainments-titanfall-revealed-leaked-gi-cover/

Smash

Banned
"since before the reveal"

so it's not a last minute thing since it was already "a reality" since before May 21 ?

also

"as they have been reacting to Sony ever since the first leaks of both systems"

really? in what regard?

They've been reacting with imaginary upgrades from fake leaks. Imaginary Xbone is a fucking beast, not even the most powerful PCs can complete.

JimmyRustler

Gold Member
If it's true, it's been in the works for months, you don't add ram and change clock speed on a weekend. PR clusterfucks are not the same as actual cluserfucks.
For months? The unveiled the Xbone with the known specs in May. Why should they do this if they had other specs in mind?

So this "source" claims that Microsoft made this decision months ago, but have been intentionally hiding it from developers, some of which are likely nearing completion on launch titles, because... why?

GodofWine

If the motherboard can readily accommodate the RAM increase it could be feasibly manufactured in time. They have had to schedule the RAM purchasing by now, so a supply or ram is a given. Their lack of preorder volume will allow them to use the RAM to produce (33% fewer) units with the added RAM and not impact sales.

Just hypothetical supply chain stuff....

Still results in a lesser system though and less corporate profits (slightly)...I still picture the redmond building full of people running around in sped up fashion to the Benny Hill Theme song.

If they were building airplanes, would you fly in it?

Lord Error

Insane For Sony
One thing that doesn't check out here is that Respawn in one of the interviews I read with someone from the company was saying that they were not hindered by RAM at all, and it sounded almost like the opposite in fact, he was saying something along the lines that they're not even thinking about it, just enjoying what they have, something like that.

Now I see that GI quote above contradicts that, but GI quote also hardly makes any sense, so I have to guess that's a bit of a misquote, and they were probably talking about system resources in general (computation resources more likely).

Other than that, I think right now that a source that leaked correct stuff already, probably knows what they're talking about so, I tend to believe the up-clock. There's certainly enough cooling in that big box to make that plausible too. Unless he's regurgitating the DF rumor about the ESRAM memory bandwidth increase/better utilization, and not the actual clock speed.

Oppo

Can't even comprehend the line of thinking that led to this sentence construction.

You think Xbone games with cloud support are like 4 times as ... what?

So this "source" claims that Microsoft made this decision months ago, but have been intentionally hiding it from developers, some of which are likely nearing completion on launch titles, because... why?

Because going up will make current software run better. So no use to tell them if its not certain. If you plan on down clocking then you want to get that message out as fast as possible because current software will run shittier. And the less people that know the better.

Supposing is true.Who says Sony hasn´t made the same?. In fact they were the first that talked publicly about GPU specs just after Hirai saying "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?".
This just tells me they talked so openly about their GPU speed because they had room to improve it, or to cheat MS as they knew they would go for a clock higher than 800MHz.

Because by that time neither one could make any meaningful changes to the hardware without significantly delaying the launch of their consoles. This rumor is pure fantasy as far as I'm concerned. Neither console is magically getting more powerful 3 months from release.

Quentyn

I asked the author for his source's track record and this was his response:
http://www.examiner.com/article/rumor-ubisoft-revealing-new-racing-ip-called-the-crew-at-e3-2013
http://www.examiner.com/article/first-screenshot-of-assassin-s-creed-black-flag-surfaces

I checked both articles and yep: he was the first confirming the name for AC:BF and the first screenshot came from him if I didn't mix things up:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=512183

And his confirmation on "The Crew" was also right:
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showthread.php?t=570561

Sorry, but I still don't trust this guy and his sources. The source for the Black Flag name seems to be Reddit. Nothing from his sources in there at all. The "first screenshot" is a blurry mess, and if I remember right, debunked as fake in one of the Black Flag threads.
As far as the Crew is concerned, the name was out there well before the article and pretty much anything new he said was wrong. It is not developed by Reflections and it is not really direct competition to Forza and GT.

For months? The unveiled the Xbone with the known specs in May. Why should they do this if they had other specs in mind?

they should've just released full specs like Sony did with the PS4. folks who're going to buy the X1 for Halo, Titanfall and Forza will do it regardless of specs.

Because going up will make current software run better. So no use to tell them if its not certain. If you plan on down clocking then you want to get that message out as fast as possible because current software will run shittier. And the less people that know the better.

... what?

Flatline

Banned

Why is it not certain? I thought that the author's "source" confirmed it 100%.

Mrbob

Dean Takahashi best be prepping another book. I want to read the behind the scene story. MS is scrambling like crazy.

A 100 MHZ overclock isn't outside the realm of possibility. It isn't like this is a massive boost. Xbone is going to die quicker, though.

So much of this Xbone saga has been almost laughable. Not that one can give them flack for doing this but the half assed nature of things are really telling.

Yep, reminds me of 2006-2008 Sony. Unified online? Nobody wants that. $599? Get another job.

Hopefully it will slap them around and get them to act like current Sony.

I would say it's just run by too many clever people.

I can't remember where I heard rumours of there being over 1000 people working on the Xbox team alone.

That's what Microsoft does wrong. It doesn't make humanistic decisions.

Supposing is true.Who says Sony hasn´t made the same?. In fact they were the first that talked publicly about GPU specs just after Hirai saying "Why go first, when your competitors can look at your specifications and come up with something better?".
This just tells me they talked so openly about their GPU speed because they had room to improve it, or to cheat MS as they knew they would go for a clock higher than 800MHz.

Didn't they add an audio chip to the console question is is it an standard one just for decoding and mixing audio or some high end custom solution like Microsoft audio chip?

Both companies are both quiet about their audio chips could be a selling point for some folks like audiophile people.

But the real specs are only known at launch when the tech site have dissected the next gen consoles and developers are talking about it more freely.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom