• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examiner Rumor: Xbox One GPU upclock yay - 12 GB Ram probably nay (source is NOT B3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

ekim

Ekim, looking at titanfall (neither 1080p nor the best looking xbone title), do you really believe they're running into a wall already? Lest we forget it also happens to be a cross generational game.

I don't know - from my limited knowledge I wouldn't believe that.

jlaw-okay.gif

LMFAO. Bahahaha.

No tears, only dreams. Lol.

It seems Sony´s audio unit is only a mp3 decoder, not a DSP, so it needs almost a core to process the audio ( see KZ SF tech presentation ). In this X1 will be clearly in advantage.
No. Those kits didn't have any DSPs in there. Just like how those kits didn't have unified memory or the final APU. The DSP is built into the APU.

Is this shit really necessary?
He's right.

Thanati

There is no way they are going to make hardware changes now. Increasing the memory? No way. All the hardware has been locked down. Anything they change now will not only affect production, the motherboard etc, but also the games in development. A Dev kit is so different to a retail kit.

However, if MS did decide to do this ridiculous thing, prepare for one of the following.

1 - The launch would be pushed back
2 - Prepare for a swathe of red rings (or whatever will be the error color this time)
3 - When you pop your launch title in, be prepared for so many bugs and crashes as to be funny.

USC-fan

Banned
No. Is the conclusion i get from reading things here and there.

well your conclusion is fucking stupid. Since he directly said this dev kit did not have access to the audio chip.

And it might be true about the audio chip but to use that as your example is fucking stupid.

Mark cerny's own words.

Doesn't sounds like an custom build DSP but more like an extra unit to decode and mix chat with game sounds. But im not the right person to judge im not an audio expert.

Key phase "for example" he doesnt say this is all the chip can do. A DSP which has been rumor can do all that and more.

Pug

No. Is the conclusion i get from reading things.

There's no doubts Shape will free up CPU cycles, how great these advantages, will differ from game to game. To be fair to Bkilian over at B3D he has given a good amount of detail regarding shape.

GetemMa

The examiner is about as reliable as your local homeless man and if you think they haven't been producing Xbone HW for a while now, you are nuts. They have to manufacture millions of systems by November. That takes time. Too late to make such drastic HW changes now.

True but what are the realistic chances of that happening now? Given MS's count it shows that all relevant (hopefully) parts were accounted for.

I dont know microsoft is a cat driven into an corner by sony 8gb gddr5 they can make weird jumps. And AMD already has an GPU out there with 14 CU realistically i just keep it with the rumored specs. E3 games looked good enough for the X1 i mostly game on pc and on console i mostly play xbox exclusives so yeah if they could raise the floor in performance i welcome it. But in general next gen is paper specs are meh compared to pc hardware i have to my disposal. And most of that hardware will be 2~3 years when next gen launches.

Pug

I can't imagine they'd make hardware changes now, right?

Unless changes were agreed months ago, anyone expecting a spec changes from the VG leaks we have seen is pissing in the wind. Now do you really believe MS made changes say, when Sony announced its 8GB of ram?

So PS4 sold out in Amazon, Gamestop and ToysaRUs.
Clearly a upgrade signal.
I was assuming that Xbox Ones weren't selling as well as PlayStation 4s.
Because Xbox Ones aren't selling as many units, and they are already running out of allocated units, that means they aren't producing enough of them.

Maybe they are having the rumored yield issues, or maybe the are having the rumored spec increases.
Or maybe they didn't start producing as early as Sony did.

Again, there are many possibilities, but modifying hardware is one possibility.

This smells of damage control. Man MS really got caught out by Sony on nearly every aspect in this console gen. Both hardware and software/policywise. If this world were fair and just, we would have some kind of video of the reaction of MS higher ups when the PS4 hardware specs were revealed.

Pug

This smells of damage control. Man MS really got caught out by Sony on nearly every aspect in this console gen. Both hardware and software/policywise. If this world were fair and just, we would have some kind of video of the reaction of MS higher ups when the PS4 hardware specs were revealed.

I'm pretty sure they knew the specs Sony were going with, long before we did.

well your conclusion is fucking stupid. Since he directly said this dev kit did not have access to the audio chip.

And it might be true about the audio chip but to use that as your example is fucking stupid.

Key phase "for example" he doesnt say this is all the chip can do. A DSP which has been rumor can do all that and more.

Time will tell but why does he talks about using the gpu also for audio for games?

Mrbob

I love how statham doesn't mind latching on to terrible fanboy laden posts to push a certain narrative. He works overtime. My new favorite poster on GAF.

Xbone selling out this early obviously means we have an upgrade to 16GB of GDDR5.

ethomaz

Banned
A mp3 stream decoder that doesn´t process audio algorithms.So you still have to use the cpu for that ( and/or the GPU is you have free CUs ).
I can be wrong but PS4 have a DSP chip.
I will research more about... do you have any source to claim that PS4 don't have.

Taiser

Wasn't there a report stating that the Xbone can only access 90% of the overall GPU for games while 10% are reserved for the 3OSs/non-gaming stuff ?... turning it more into a 1.1 Tflop machine?

if true, that would make a small Gflop bump even more insignificant.

gaming_noob

I thought they said Specs didn't matter?

Oh wait, I forgot it's MS...

We're going to be seeing a period of change for MS. It appears none of their execs/managers are on the same page on anything. All this blunder will hopefully help them improve, just like Sony.

i bet folks gonna paint flames on their X1's to make them go faster. just watch.

It's all about the speed holes mayne. Prepare your weed hooks.

I'm pretty sure they knew the specs Sony were going with, long before we did.

I'm pretty sure they didnt. The ram and OS itself is a dead giveaway. It looks like MS thought it would be 5gb's ddr3 ram vs 3 to 3.5 gddr5 ram in the sony console. No way MS would have gone with that ridiculous 3gb's OS memory hog if they knew Sony would have 7gb's of much faster memory available for games. As it stand now Sony not only have the better memory architecture, it's faster as well.

Hells horses man, the PS4 has 28% more memory available for games. That's an incredible difference. Imagine games that are coming out right now for the Xbox 360 and PS3, then try to imagine how those games would look and perform with 28% less memory.

25% wouldnt do much since all multiplatform game will be developed base from the lowest spec machine. This is nothing new from last 2 gens.

Like many people said. The different will only be from first party title.

This gets said a lot and it was certainly true in the past when consoles had very different architectures from one another, but today? You have essentially 2 PCs and one is 50% more powerful than the other. Even if the target is the lower spec machine, it doesn't take any extra effort to tap into the additional power of the other. It's nothing like writing specialized SPU code to get performance out of Cell.

EDIT: damn multiquote

Time will tell but why does he talks about using the gpu also for audio for games?
Even with the interview last year with Masaaki Tsuruta, SCE's CTO, he mentions the hardware in broad terms, "You are talking about powerful CPU and GPU with extra DSP and programmable logic."

The programmable logic doesn't seem to fit any more, because the rumors of the increased compute (and later confirmation) kind of points to not needing it.

Hex

Banned
I do not know which is more stupid, the fact that we still end up with rumors like this or those that eat them up...especially those that do the whole "I knew it!" every single time before a rumor is shot down.

Hold your horses. The audio chip could be still a MP3 decoder and this way they had to decode, as well as processing sound, also by software.

I can be wrong but PS4 have a DSP chip.
I will research more about... do you have any source to claim that PS4 don't have.

The nearest is this quote ( from a very good thread at B3D, really ) from a Sony dev:

http://beyond3d.com/showpost.php?p=1763012&postcount=101

mephixto

Banned
At this point the only possible thing MS or Sony can do with their console specs is take away features or reduce something. Adding stuff requieres a lot of time, test, budget, planning, etc. and I bet MS and Sony don't have any of these right now.

Contra11

Banned
Its Microsoft fault from the beginning .. They have a very low expectations for the next generation power standards .. 1.2 teraflop is very low

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom