• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examiner Rumor: Xbox One GPU upclock yay - 12 GB Ram probably nay (source is NOT B3D)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Flatline

Banned
I would say it's just run by too many clever people.

I can't remember where I heard rumours of there being over 1000 people working on the Xbox team alone.

That's what Microsoft does wrong. It doesn't make humanistic decisions.

What kind of clever person can witness the SimCity DISASTER and insist with online DRM?

Binabik15

The whole angle of spreading disinformation to 3rd party devs is a nice touch. To prevent leaks...of good news? That's a first.

It's not about the good news leaking, it's just that MS (and Nintendo) want to have detailed hours-long spec breakdowns and performance pie charts in their E3 2014 shows, so they can't have specs out in the wild before that. Would ruin the suspense.

Why is it not certain? I thought that the author's "source" confirmed it 100%.

In my eyes specs shown aren't the real deal after launch then we can discuss real specs.
If anything current gen launch has shown that both companies like to spread lies about their current console which didn't deliver on launch.

So is this how they will catch up to PS4's tech?

Not really unless the apu has like 14CU like the 7790 and clocked at 1Ghz.
Which we know it doesn't. Hell we dont even know what the upclock speeds are.

Pitmonkey

Sorry, but I still don't trust this guy and his sources. The source for the Black Flag name seems to be Reddit. Nothing from his sources in there at all. The "first screenshot" is a blurry mess, and if I remember right, debunked as fake in one of the Black Flag threads.
As far as the Crew is concerned, the name was out there well before the article and pretty much anything new he said was wrong. It is not developed by Reflections and it is not really direct competition to Forza and GT.

jlaw-okay.gif

Averon

So is this how they will catch up to PS4's tech?

No. Even if this rumor is true, which it's highly, highly likely it's not, it still won't make the Xbone equally as powerful as the PS4. The only chance for the Xbone get even near the PS4 performance-wise is if Sony does some massive downclocking and/or other downgrades to the PS4 hardware, which is very, very likely NOT to happen.

TheCloser

Banned
Ladies and gentlemen, by believing this rumor, you are choosing to forego logic in attempt to grasp to any straw of hope. Actively spreading false information to 3rd parties like EA who microsoft payed 50 million to for the Titanfall timed exclusive and an undisclosed amount for the exclusive FIFA 14 content. Again, lol. Lets leave logic behind here people.

Didn't they add an audio chip to the console question is is it an standard one just for decoding and mixing audio or some high end custom solution like Microsoft audio chip?

Both companies are both quiet about their audio chips could be a selling point for some folks like audiophile people.

what a load of utter codswallop.

audiophiles don't buy consoles or anything crammed with irrelevant components, cooling fans and no shielding. Utter, complete uninformed drivel.

Didn't they add an audio chip to the console question is is it an standard one just for decoding and mixing audio or some high end custom solution like Microsoft audio chip?

Both companies are both quiet about their audio chips could be a selling point for some folks like audiophile people.

But the real specs are only known at launch when the tech site have dissected the next gen consoles and developers are talking about it more freely.

It seems Sony´s audio unit is only a mp3 decoder, not a DSP, so it needs almost a core to process the audio ( see KZ SF tech presentation ). In this X1 will be clearly in advantage.

Flatline

Banned
In my eyes specs shown aren't the real deal after launch then we can discuss real specs.
If anything current gen launch has shown that both companies like to spread lies about their current console which didn't deliver on launch.

It doesn't matter what you think, we're talking about the articles "logic". Think of it like we're talking about a movie and how it all makes sense within its universe.

According to this article's logic the upgrade is 100% real and its hidden from devs not because it's not final specs but to avoid leaks (but it was leaked anyway by Microsoft that is the only one that knows about it). You can't pick and chose the parts of the article you like and ignore the rest to rationalize inconsistencies within the article.

ekim

Okay, looks like you are the author of all those Examiner articles. Please tell me where I was wrong. Also you might want to check out this thread, especially the part about self promotion.

He didn't do this thread - I did.
And if he is the author of the article, he was also right about the new PoP being a mobile game.

edit: I misread something about the PoP thing. sorry.

Smash

Banned
Come on guys. Rumors are only instantly true if it's BAD news, ok?

Rumors are usually true when they make sense and they're from a well-known source. Rumors, as Xbone fans have proven the last few months, don't become true with the power of denial or wishful thinking.

GodofWine

It seems Sony´s audio unit is only a mp3 decoder, not a DSP, so it needs almost a core to process the audio ( see KZ SF tech presentation ). In this X1 will be clearly in advantage.

Doesn't sony have 6 more cores than xb1 though? They probably thought that through.

It doesn't matter what you think, we're talking about the articles "logic". Think of it like we're talking about a movie and how it all makes sense within its universe.

According to this article's logic the upgrade is 100% real and its hidden from devs not because it's not final specs but to avoid leaks (but it was leaked anyway by Microsoft that is the only one that knows about it). You can't pick and chose the parts of the article you like and ignore the rest to rationalize inconsistencies within the article.

Im pretty sure the articles mentioned first party were disclosed on the upclock.
3rd parties have to deal with both microsoft and sony so chances are higher that it will leak from a third party dev. Kinda like how edge knew or guessed about the 8gb of gddr5 most first party studios either didn't know or pretend they didn't know. You never know with these companies.

Microsoft can pull an upclock question is how much are they willing to sacrifice. Same for sony the small box makes a bit worrying about Ylod2.0 given it has more performances.

what a load of utter codswallop.

audiophiles don't buy consoles or anything crammed with irrelevant components, cooling fans and no shielding. Utter, complete uninformed drivel.

SMH..... Fanboy wars taking it too serious?

Doesn't sony have 6 more cores than xb1 though? They probably thought that through.

Not really as far as rumors go both have 8 jaguar cores so the same cpu.
Both will probably let developers use 6 cores for the game and 2 cores for the OS.
We have no clock information but rumors have them clock for both consoles at 1.6Ghz.
Now wondering are cpu and gpu clocked in ratio 2:1 for cpu.

benny_a

extra source of jiggaflops
Can't even comprehend the line of thinking that led to this sentence construction.

You think Xbone games with cloud support are like 4 times as ... what?
He has only repeated what Xbox Australia has said.

“It’s also been stated that the Xbox One is ten times more powerful than the Xbox 360, so we’re effectively 40 times greater than the Xbox 360 in terms of processing capabilities [using the cloud]. If you look to the cloud as something that is no doubt going to evolve and grow over time, it really spells out that there’s no limit to where the processing power of Xbox One can go. I think that’s a very exciting proposition, not only for Australians, but anyone else who’s going to pick up the Xbox One console.”

i-Lo

Ekim, looking at titanfall (neither 1080p nor the best looking xbone title), do you really believe they're running into a wall already? Lest we forget it also happens to be a cross generational game.

Not really unless the apu has like 14CU like the 7790 and clocked at 1Ghz.
Which we know it doesn't. Hell we dont even know what the upclock speeds are.

Wouldn't that require more transistors? Given they're already at 5billion I don't think that's a possibility this late unless they ditch the ESRAM, which they clearly have no intention of doing.

Can't even comprehend the line of thinking that led to this sentence construction.

You think Xbone games with cloud support are like 4 times as ... what?

They publicly said that Xbone is 10 times more powerful than Xb360 and with cloud it's 40 times. So simple math.

gconsole

So, if this is true, PS4 would go from having a 33% advantage to a 25% advantage. That's still pretty significant.

edit: Also, instead of asking for more RAM, Respawn should be asking MS for a more efficient OS.

25% wouldnt do much since all multiplatform game will be developed base from the lowest spec machine. This is nothing new from last 2 gens.

Like many people said. The different will only be from first party title.

Ekim, looking at titanfall (neither 1080p nor the best looking xbone title), do you really believe they're running into a wall already? Lest we forget it also happens to be a cross generational game.

Wouldn't that require more transistors? Given they're already at 5billion I don't think that's a possibility this late unless they ditch the ESRAM, which they clearly have no intention of doing.

They publicly said that Xbone is 10 times more powerful than Xb360 and with cloud it's 40 times. So simple math.

They added the transistor counts up on B3D there were still missing transistors maybe ms counted the custom chip inside kinect with the 5 billion figure.

MORT1S

6 more CUs, not CPU cores. Though, using a few CUs would be ideal for attempting to aid in audio.

If 1-3 CUs were used for audio om PS4, that would be 1-3 CUs not used in rendering. At leadt that's what Ivwould assume.

Actually it is impossible. I said the same for those bullshit rumours about the PS4 CPU going from 1.6GHz to 1.8GHz. In the world of semi-conductors performance from planning to mass production only ever goes in a single direction, downwards. If they planned for 800MHz the number of usable parts at 800MHz is basically fixed, to increase that figure they would need to respin. The other way to increase the number of usable parts is to lower the clocks or fuse off more CUs. Increasing performance will reduce the number of usable dice and for a box that is already in short supply that seems incredibly unlikely and an insane business decision since the difference is going to be minimal.

Radeon 7950 ?
AMD released boost bioses to increase clock speeds and combat 660ti/670/680 release and those worked for cards already released.

Of course it resulted with huge TDP increase due to high voltages they needed to assure stable operation of now overclocked parts.

kaching

"GAF's biggest wanker"
It's not about the good news leaking, it's just that MS (and Nintendo) want to have detailed hours-long spec breakdowns and performance pie charts in their E3 2014 shows, so they can't have specs out in the wild before that. Would ruin the suspense.
Hmmm, that seems hasty. Perhaps they should wait until the end of the generation so they can show off the full performance curve. E3 2019 should be grrreat!

ethomaz

Banned
6 more CUs, not CPU cores. Though, using a few CUs would be ideal for attempting to aid in audio.

If 1-3 CUs were used for audio om PS4, that would be 1-3 CUs not used in rendering. At leadt that's what Ivwould assume.
Audio? PS4 have a dedicaded audio chip.

Flatline

Banned
Im pretty sure the articles mentioned first party were disclosed on the upclock.
3rd parties have to deal with both microsoft and sony so chances are higher that it will leak from a third party dev. Kinda like how edge knew or guessed about the 8gb of gddr5 most first party studios either didn't know or pretend they didn't know. You never know with these companies.

Microsoft can pull an upclock question is how much are they willing to sacrifice. Same for sony the small box makes a bit worrying about Ylod2.0 given it has more performances.

You do realise that you're now backpedaling from your original explanation and you're going back to the explanation the article gave, right? So you believe that Microsoft is risking its relationship with developers, sacrificing graphics for launch games and delivering fake dev kits to hide an upclock. OK...

hackdog

Banned
Rumors are usually true when they make sense and they're from a well-known source. Rumors, as Xbone fans have proven the last few months, don't become true with the power of denial or wishful thinking.

Does anyone remember Reiko?

Mildudon

How does that make sense. Then the xbox360 with cloud is more power full then Xbone without cloud. That that statment with a mountain of salt.

i-Lo

How does that make sense. Then the xbox360 with cloud is more power full then Xbone without cloud. That that statment with a mountain of salt.

You misread it. According to MS, the Xbone = 10x X360 and with cloud Xbone = 40x X360.

They added the transistor counts up on B3D there were still missing transistors maybe ms counted the custom chip inside kinect with the 5 billion figure.

Secret sauce?

EagleEyes

Well thats a positive rumor. Maybe the second half of the year will bring much better rumors for the Xbox One because the first half could not have been worse for it. So now we have had faster esram and an upclock rumor, now all we need is the 12 gb confirmation and the X1 will have done a 180 from earlier this year lol. Seems like Microsoft is trying a lot harder after hearing about the PS4 specs and that can only be a good thing for us gamers.

USC-fan

Banned

You mean the tech demo where they said they didnt have access to the audio chips.

Wow @ the logic. lol

You misread it. According to MS, the Xbone = 10x X360 and with cloud Xbone = 40x X360.

Secret sauce?

Sure its not wizard jizz?
2 extra CU is not what i would call secret sauce.

You mean the tech demo where they said they didnt have access to the audio chips.

Wow @ the logic. lol

Mark cerny's own words.
"For example, by having the hardware dedicated unit for audio, that means we can support audio chat without the games needing to dedicate any significant resources to them. The same thing for compression and decompression of video." The audio unit also handles decompression of "a very large number" of MP3 streams for in-game audio, Cerny added.

Doesn't sounds like an custom build DSP but more like an extra unit to decode and mix chat with game sounds. But im not the right person to judge im not an audio expert.

What kind of clever person can witness the SimCity DISASTER and insist with online DRM?

The kind that is surrounded by 999 other people affirming the same belief, and Diablo 3 selling gangbusters.

Adam Orth was unapologetic in his opinions, and opinions recognisably as bad as that only get formed through insularity.

Well Amazon and Best Buy have run out of Day One editions of the Xbox One.
Maybe Microsoft is really changing the specs and that is why they can't manufacture enough units to keep up with demand?

EDIT: Sorry, not Toys R Us, that was Playstation.

andycapps

I don't think Sony will risk YLOD due to over-heating. The rumours of up clock are associated with CPU afaik but I'd love if they squeeze out 50MHz more from GPU (which will not happen).

But Xbone hardware realistically needs little to no improvement because the slack will be picked up by the cloud which essentially is like 3 x Xbone + Xbone.

lol what? Are you being serious here?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom