• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Examples of very good animation

DeafTourette

Perpetually Offended
Hey guys ...

I was wondering... What are some examples of VERY good animation?

For me, Star Trek Lower Decks... Especially the most recent episode Empathalogical Fallacies.

And the whole 2 seasons of Vox Machina...

They have such fluid animations that look like they were rotoscoped instead of hand drawn ...

In fact, that's how some of the animation for Across the Spiderverse came off to me as well!

What about y'all?

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
10199.gif

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member

StueyDuck

Anything that isn't muted colors and bean mouth.

Also whatever the fuck big mouth is can also be thrown in the shit pile

The Cockatrice

Gold Member
People already gave a ton of great animes so I'll just go ahead and say Arcane. Its one of my favorite tv animations of all time. Took them 7 years tho so s2 might be a while until it hits.

Toots

Gold Member
Kemonozume
ALBtj8C.gif

It's a madhouse production so the animation is top notch, while extremely unconventional in some aspects.
It's only 13 episodes and i cannot recommend it to you enough, if you like japanese animation or beautiful love stories.

Last edited:

Hugare

Kemonozume
ALBtj8C.gif

It's a madhouse production so the animation is top notch, while extremely unconventional in some aspects.
It's only 13 episodes and i cannot recommend it to you enough, if you like japanese animation or beautiful love stories.
I've searched for it, and of course its a Masaaki Yuaza production

The guy is a genius. He is known for his very fluid animation style.

Ping Pong, Japan Sinks, Tatami Galaxy, Devilman Cyrbaby, Ride your wave and etc.

Hudo

Nier Automata was the first game where I actively caught myself thinking about the animations and how well they blend with the player input. I am especially fond of the animations for the spear.

And I am especially fond of A2's taunt animation for the spear. Sexy as fuck.

Edit: Also the spritework of Breath of Fire 4 is just fucking beautiful.

Last edited:

Paltheos

From Vampire Hunter D: Bloodlust, which I just rewatched recently.

As a general rule of thumb you can take any old OVA from Japan from the 1980s and watch it run circles around modern animation (although, incidentally, this movie is from the year 2000).

Not bad, although Brotherhood commits a cardinal sin that allot of modern anime does (and is seen here briefly) where destruction of landscape is often presented as flashes of cubes and similar looking, very clean polyhedrons that just kinda pop out of the ground like confetti. It never fails to look comically awful and is so prevalent in anime but I don't know where the idea came from. The shot here where Ed throws Envy into the pillar is also bad because it showcases a crater with the blast of rock even though, again, Envy's very clearly being thrown into a pillar.

Last edited:

Werewolf Jones

Gold Member
Not bad, although Brotherhood commits a cardinal sin that allot of modern anime does (and is seen here briefly) where destruction of landscape is often presented as flashes of cubes and similar looking, very clean polyhedrons that just kinda pop out of the ground like confetti. It never fails to look comically awful and is so prevalent in anime but I don't know where the idea came from. The shot here where Ed throws Envy into the pillar is also bad because it showcases a crater with the blast of rock even though, again, Envy's very clearly being thrown into a pillar.
Probably from Yutaka Nakamura's influence

Last edited:
Top Bottom