• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Excalibur: a NeoGAF Pathfinder Play by Post Campaign

She gives a rather sniveling and almost rehearsed answer, "It's what happens when you cross the Thieve's Guild."

<I am patting myself on the back for this single line of dialogue right now.>

"Funny, but no. I will give you credit for the INCREDIBLY inflated ego though. You just made Leo sound reasonable in comparison. Bravo."

((Someone should stop me because if experience has taught me anything about myself, I will keep doing this for a long time if you don't...))

<Actually yes, don't be afraid to have your character say something even when another character says or asks something. I can address multiple characters at once and in fact I highly prefer doing so.

I don't like one on one back and forths, but then tend to happen when I think other players are waiting on me to answer a player character and that player character says something else for me to address.>

Leo winces on Lovegood's behalf. "I think you're the first person Draco's ever said I'm more reasonable than, so something's going on here. You've already admitted you're with the Thieve's guild, so why don't you tell us what you know? You're in it for the long haul now, might as well make things easier on yourself."

She shakes her head with her eyes closed in declination of the reasoning, "No! They'll find out I'm alive sooner or later! You won't be getting away with this!"

Soon Forrester, after having watched the girl struggle with the interrogation speaks up finally, "I.. I have something to say."

Leo looks over, assuming the others can deal with Lovegood for now.

Making sure he sounds less harsh than when he was talking to Lovegood, he says "All right, what have you got?"

"That drow... he and some thieves had captured me overnight.. and they took me to a strange place where a woman had promised I would be taken care of and possibly even let go.. but then I was taken away from that place soon after. The drow was still with them, and said something about revenge at any cost.. I don't know if you saw him, but he was part of the trap the thieves laid."

A look of faint recognition crosses Leo's face as Forrester relays her piece. "Well, there was a drow on the balcony with you and Lovegood, but I made pretty short work of him. I don't think his corpse will make much of a lead. Do you think Lovegood knew him?" He says this loud enough for Lovegood to hear so he and the others can gauge her response.

He scratches his head. "That would have been before I joined them. You sounded pretty sure though, so I'm sure Deadstone or Draco can back that up. All I know is I killed one Drow while we were rescuing you. He used a fancy purple greatbow and said some stuff about getting strong before he keeled over."

At this point, Leo's ego breaks through. "Just one other Drow? We'll all be fine. Even if he's a lot stronger than his buddy was, we should be able to handle him just fine. Let that fool make an attempt on us! You won't have to worry about him kidnapping you again by the time he realizes his mistake."

Thaddeus's patience is wearing thin. The girl is quite clearly a moron, as is the norm for adolescents, and Ms Forrester's intelligence is useless at best. Of course there's a drow who wants them dead. There are a LOT of people who want them dead.

He doesn't let this show. Instead he smiles politely. "Thank you, that's very helpful, Ms Forrester." He turns to the younger one. "Miss Lovegood, what can you tell me about the condition that your associates afflicted upon me?"

<Still waiting for everyone to react before I ICly answer questions. I feel like I gave a piece of info being overlooked due to addressing stuff too fast.>

Mike M

Nick N
((Is it that she didn't register as evil as she should have? I was trying to ask her to recount her version of our encounter to determine if she remembers things drastically differently as evidence of mind control or maybe Dorthlenne hijacking her or something))

((Was the woman Forrester mentioned a reference to Excalibur? The only other thing I can think of is whether or not she knew where the strange place was.))

Leo is still determined to make as much out of the manly sacrifice as can possibly be made. The sheer determination causes him to make some connections he would normally never make. Going back over to Forrester, he asks her a few more questions.

"It just occurred to me that I never asked about the woman who spoke to you. By any chance, did you get a name from her, or do you remember what she looked like?"

<@Dreadstone: I assume Thaddeus relayed the results of the detect evil. Roll sense motive unless for whatever reason Thaddeus wants to keep his info to himself.>

Lovegood snaps, "I just know that it worked. Don't you know never to trust strangers?"

After looking at Lovegood, Forrester just shakes her head at the girl, and says to Tiberius, "I never heard her name outright, but she was around Dreadstone's age, was blonde, and everybody seemed to respect her. She seemed to criticize how I was captured out of spite towards you."

Tiberious nods. "I see. Thank you, I think I know who that was. Just for confirmation, did you ever see her in armor or carrying a sword that looked like it was made out of crystal? Oh, and do you have any idea where they were holding you at?"

@Dreadstone:
Dreadstone can just barely realize that Lovegood can only make very blunt statements. He can tell that she probably is being used by somebody and doesn't have all of the information like how she may act.

Forrester answers, "She had a cloak on at the time but I think it was over some armor. They didn't let me know where I was being held, and the dark elf and his partners put a strange amulet on me before taking me away from there."

Tiberious has heard enough to be pretty sure that she's talking about Excalibur. "That about clears things up. The cloak wasn't green by chance, was it? I think I might know what that pendant was for since we had a similar run in with one not too long ago. Did you happen to see anything regarding your surroundings when they took you, or did they keep that from happening?"

"That's all I can remember. Why would somebody wear a green cloak? I just want to rest a little more now."

<Note: The party knows nothing about the significance of the color green.>

((Gotcha, my bad.))

"All right, that's more than enough for now then. Thanks, you've been helpful."

With that, Tiberious tells the others that Forrester likely met Excalibur while being held, and that she seemingly didn't approve of Forrester's capture.

Mike M

Nick N
Dreadstone looms over Lovegood, like the shadow of an avenging angel given form. From the depths of his cloak, he produces his journal, pen held at the ready.

"Little miss," he begins, staring at her with featureless eyes, "I don' need t'be a good liar to recognize a bad one. You ain't nearly as in charge as you want us t'think, but we'll be more than happy to charge y'as such. You'll dance at the end of a rope over th'Redrun River for it too. That is unless you start spillin' yer guts quick like about the organization of this Thieves' Guild an' their relation with Excalibur's Orphan outfit."

Lovegood snaps, "I just know that it worked. Don't you know never to trust strangers?"

TTwauao.png

Thaddeus lunges forward and grasps Lovegood's throat in one hand. He squeezes hard enough that she can just barely breathe and holds his face just inches from hers. His eyes lock with hers, and they emanate an animosity and hatred that none in the wagon have seen from Thaddeus before. "Listen well, you insufferable little twat," he hisses through half-clenched teeth. "Your wretched clan has taken everything I hold dear in my life away from me. From here on I will no longer tolerate your insolence. You WILL tell us what we need to know, because your life is in our hands now, and we can make things very, very unpleasant for you. Do you understand me?"

Lovegood only begins to crackle under the grip of the dark elf's hand squeezing her neck, and tears begin rolling down her face as her face begins to fade into a pale color. Forrester begins to plead, "What are you doing!? She's just a child!" Dortumn, despite knowledge that he is no longer a real commander allows his instinct get the better of him and says, "That'll be enough of that, Junior Officer."

<I know I am a new DM, but I feel like there are things that even I can teach you guys, such as how easy it is to kill a 15 year old level 1 Bard by accident.>

Thaddeus narrows his eyes and glares at the dwarf. He eases his grip on the girl only slightly.

"I'll have none of that, you cantankerous old fool. By all rights I should be your superior officer five times over. I poured my soul into this fucking military, and how has it repaid me? Even in the best of times I was treated as an aberration, and now it seems I've been branded a criminal for a crime I didn't commit.

"You can take your military titles and shove them up your ass. I've had it with bending the knee to a country that doesn't give two shits about me. My only concern now is seeking out and hunting down those who have wronged me, and making them pay."

He returns his glance to the girl, releasing his grip but remaining right up in her face. "Are you going to start talking, or shall I cross one of the names off my list?"

Dortumn is defeated by that reasoning. The Dwarf gives a heavy grumble in realization of how futile it is to be authoritative. Forrester continues to try and plead, "Please! I know this girl has done wrong but you're acting just like the drow that kidnapped me!"

Lovegood herself is sobbing now, and holding her neck after it has been released.

"Be quiet, or leave this wagon," he says coldly to Forrester. He leans back to give the girl a little more space, but keeps his eyes glued to hers.

@ThLunarian: The girl isn't faking her crying, and is legitimately distressed by the punishment that is being put on her. She is more likely being used by those causing all of your troubles and only parroting what she is told.

(Assuming no interference from anyone else; if there is some, we can back up)

Thaddeus lets out a grunt of frustration. He grabs the girl opens the wagon door, hops outside, and puts her down. He then jogs to catch back up and reenters the wagon. "Worthless," he mutters. "She knows nothing."

((Thaddeus is on the warpath right now and is absolutely certain he wants to do that. I wouldn't be surprised if a different character stops him, but if he goes uninterrupted then he is definitely going to do that))

Tiberious watches Thaddeus's interrogation with slight approval, also feeling like they must stop their foes at any cost. When he goes to open the wagon, he throws out an arm to bar Thaddeus as he tries to put Lovegood out of the wagon.

"Slow down there, Thad. So maybe the girl doesn't know anything. I'm glad that got straightened out now, I was going to do considerably worse to her than you did once we were stopped so Forrester didn't have to see it. Look, I kind of know where you're coming from. A manly sacrifice has occurred, and it must be honored at any cost. For you, who have been hit more directly, the stakes are probably even higher."

"Just because Lovegood knows nothing doesn't mean that she's useless to us. She's still a hostage and a bargaining chip. You want to destroy those who have wronged you? Me too, and right now I can't think of a better way to draw out our enemies than by rubbing the fact that Lovegood's life is in our hands in their collective faces."

<Also, you guys might be asking the wrong questions too. I think I'm ready to move on though, I can simply give you relevant info later without needing to interrogate.>

Thaddeus eyes Leo with cool, poorly masked contempt. "You stupid oaf," he says bitterly. "This girl means nothing to them. She is but a pawn in whatever grand scheme they've lain out. When they find out she's alive, they'll probably kill her themselves, just to fit their narrative. It wouldn't do for the victim of the kingdom's most wanted criminals to be found alive, would it?"

Despite his words, Thaddeus acquiesces. He releases the girl (still in the wagon) and takes his seat.

((That was an in-character insult only. Love ya Axel!))

<I am all for improvising consequences for bad behavior except that this is one that will just make the game longer and delay when we get to play in your new game.>

Mike M

Nick N
((Wow, don't Paladins lose their powers when they act contrary to their lawful good alignment or something?))

Dreadstone clenches a fist and is ready to full on punch Thaddeus in the face, and it is only the fact that the elf begrudgingly lets the girl go that stays his hand. "Friend," he says icily, "you better start hopin' that Heironeous really is dead, 'cause I'm pretty sure he wouldn't want one of his representatives goin' 'round trying' to throw little girls out the backs of moving vehicles to leave 'em to die..."

Top Bottom