• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

Caayn

Respawn ‏@Respawn 9 min
@zidemonizediz @InCmPunkWeTrust It's server tests, not a beta. There is no finger to anyone as the NDA doesn't allow them to discuss it.
So because people aren't allowed to talk about it we (everyone who doesn't live in the US) can't feel excluded from this according to them. Some nice logic going on.

WizzNARD

So thinking about it now, is this the first time an Alpha test has been on consoles? I can't seem to recall any off the top of my head.

Timu

Why does your picture say application complete? It should now say "Your application has already been submitted". Unless you took that picture immediately after signing up. Can you refresh the page now that you have done so. And then see if it changes to "Your Application Has Already Been Submitted".

Once it says that, does the text below say "days" or "weeks"?
I keep getting the 2nd message.D=

Bsigg12

So thinking about it now, is this the first time an Alpha test has been on consoles? I can't seem to recall any off the top of my head.

This would be the first test of any sort for the Xbox One for the "public". To answer your question, they do alpha tests all the time on consoles, just only on dev net.

Only way to get in this is if you got the email, so if you signed up, that means you are not getting into this. IGN just did an update to the story.

Caayn

Uhmm I don't know who manages the twitter account at Respawn but they need to get their stuff together and stop contradicting themselves within mere minutes.

0JbySUe.png
HT5guVR.png

Edit: I don't know if I should laugh or cry reading their tweets.

Mononoke

Banned
Mines said days. Damn resolution wars pushed me to get BF4 on PS4 damn you neogaf lol

How does that even happen. I don't get how the text could change for some and not others. You got people signing up literally minutes after the invites were first sent (last night) with "weeks", then random folks (some even signing up barely today) saying "days".

Hah, this is so confusing. Going to just wait for a follow up email, and be ready for disappointment should it not happen. Seems to me the most important factor at this point is getting the NDA.

spannicus

How does that even happen. I don't get how the text could change for some and not others. You got people signing up literally minutes after the invites were first sent (last night) with "weeks", then random folks (some even signing up barely today) saying "days".

Hah, this is so confusing. Going to just wait for a follow up email, and be ready for disappointment should it not happen. Seems to me the most important factor at this point is getting the NDA.

Dont feel bad, I never really get picked for the good shit, yeah the NDA

Maybe the ones who say days didn't get the NDA sign up form. And in a couple days they'll get that invite.. since they didn't get an invite and invited themselves.

I don't know. Mine says weeks and I signed up pretty quick last night and got the NDA page.

Mononoke

Banned
Uhmm I don't know who manages the twitter account at Respawn but they need to get their stuff together and stop contradicting themselves within mere minutes.

0JbySUe.png
HT5guVR.png

Damn, people are raging out though. Totally fiending over this. I doubt the Alpha test will even be that great.

Post by one of the Respawn employees over on their official forums:

Hey everyone,

I know there is a lot of confusion over this right now. We ARE NOT running a beta at the moment. We're doing some very limited technical testing (Alpha. If you have not been invited via email and signed a very comprehensive NDA, you cannot access it. I cannot get you in. Don't be upset, most people are not going to be playing in this and the ones that are can't talk about it, stream, post video, etc. We understand the desire for a Beta and we have not ruled it out but I don't have any news on it for you currently. Thank you for your understanding!

Abbie

http://www.respawn.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=16&t=3668

Can we just stop all this bullshit of calling things betas and alphas on consoles when they aren't?

Clearly this can't possibly be an Alpha this late in the games development. These are glorified demos and have been ever since the Halo 3 "beta". I'm sure this is the first wave of the demo being called an alpha and the second wave will be called the beta.

Also, people paying to get into "betas" is bullshit. If these were real betas, they would be free and encourage player feedback to help shape the game. Not "2 months before the game is released you can help us shape it..." righhhhhht....

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Can we just stop all this bullshit of calling things betas and alphas on consoles when they aren't?

Clearly this can't possibly be an Alpha this late in the games development. These are glorified demos and have been ever since the Halo 3 "beta". I'm sure this is the first wave of the demo being called an alpha and the second wave will be called the beta.

Also, people paying to get into "betas" is bullshit. If these were real betas, they would be free and encourage player feedback to help shape the game. Not "2 months before the game is released you can help us shape it..." righhhhhht....

Well, it does seem like an alpha and they aren't calling it a beta. And there's no early access stuff here either.

Mononoke

Banned
Same. I don't think this was meant to spread as much as it did, hahaha.

Thing is, the original email they sent last night was so suspicious, I posted it to see if the damn thing was legit. (And as you can tell by the first page of this thread, many thought it was a phishing scam).

I think this would have been handled better if Respawn had just made an official announcement, and outlined exactly what it was. And then told people to expect an email coming (and they should have said that it will only work if you get the email - even if that was a lie lol). Or you know, they could have just made it so it only would work if you got the email.

IHaveIce

Banned

HT5guVR.png

Look Mommy I'm famous.

I'm not even that mad, I just want to mess with them to show how their explanations make no sense.

fijim

Banned
lol at the first few pages of people screaming scam.

1. Just because an e-mail has a sub-domain on it does not mean it isn't official. anything.ea.com is still part of ea.com and controlled by EA.

2. Just because the e-mail says it is from ea.com does not mean it actually was, it could have been spoofed.

3. If the scam link goes to a legit website, then it isn't actually a scam. This should be obvious by hovering over the link and looking at the URL.

4. Your passwords do not automatically get stolen by clicking on a spam link, even if you did. Unless you start giving them information. At worst the site would try to install some malware.

Zeth

In general I hate when the word entitlement is used around here, but god damn there are some extreme emotions over a limited alpha test - which is standard practice that is rarely exposed to the public.

Mononoke

Banned
lol at the first few pages of people screaming scam.

1. Just because an e-mail has a sub-domain on it does not mean it isn't official. anything.ea.com is still part of ea.com and controlled by EA.

2. Just because the e-mail says it is from ea.com does not mean it actually was, it could have been spoofed.

3. If the scam link goes to a legit website, then it isn't actually a scam. This should be obvious by hovering over the link and looking at the URL.

4. Your passwords do not automatically get stolen by clicking on a spam link, even if you did. Unless you start giving them information. At worst the site would try to install some malware.

Well to be fair, I'm sort of to blame for some of this. I should have hovered over the link in the email and showed people. As far as the passwords being stolen, people thought it was a Phishing scam where it sends you to a fake EA/Origin log in page. Because in order to sign up for this, it requires you to log on to your origin account. But if someone was phishing, they could make a mirrored/fake EA site to log in (and that's how they would get the password).

That said, in a case like that, the URL would be fake once you got into the log in area. But to clarify, that is what people were thinking (not their password was stolen by simply clicking a link). But can't disagree with your post.

fijim

Banned
Well to be fair, I'm sort of to blame for some of this. I should have hovered over the link in the email and showed people. As far as the passwords being stolen, people thought it was a Phishing scam where it sends you to a fake EA/Origin log in page. Because in order to sign up for this, it requires you to log on to your origin account. But if someone was phishing, they could make a mirrored/fake EA site to log in (and that's how they would get the password).

That said, in a case like that, the URL would be fake once you got into the log in area. But to clarify, that is what people were thinking (not their password was stolen by simply clicking a link). But can't disagree with your post.

Oh ok, I thought someone just clicked it and instantly freaked out. Yes that is how a phishing scam would work.

Given that we didn't know about this Alpha it is fair to suspect, but I think people wanted to believe it was a scam b/c they were jealous of not getting in ;)

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
Oh ok, I thought someone just clicked it and instantly freaked out. Yes that is how a phishing scam would work.

Given that we didn't know about this Alpha it is fair to suspect, but I think people wanted to believe it was a scam b/c they were jealous of not getting in ;)

There was also precedent set for this kind of thing. Was happening throughout last year.

http://www.gameinformer.com/b/news/archive/2013/09/06/respawn-beware-of-titanfall-beta-scams.aspx

But you're right, it was nonsensical to jump the gun so soon.

Doffen

In general I hate when the word entitlement is used around here, but god damn there are some extreme emotions over a limited alpha test - which is standard practice that is rarely exposed to the public.

"US only" is a bullshit practice in a global market.

IHaveIce

Banned

regional limitation is idiotic

Mononoke

Banned

My friend who clicked the link last night and registered was in horror as the GAF replies came in. He went into full on panic mode as all the posters said it was a scam, and changed all of his passwords. So funny in hindsight. He went from joy to terror in minutes .

I was so excited I made the thread, but also because I was suspicious of how the email looked. I guess in my excitement I probably could have included more info such as hovering over the email URL.

Rayme

They're testing US servers specifically, the ones most likely to shit themselves on launch.

That's not why. Limiting regions aids the type of testing being done, there are good reasons for it. It's not to snub or ignore anyone. This is a very, very limited test of some specific internal things.

RulkezX

They're testing US servers specifically, the ones most likely to shit themselves on launch.

I wanna see the receipts. The difference between the number of xbox consoles in NA and Europe isn't that large.

Everything about TitanFall is beginning to scream *not nearly finished* , from limited Alpha tests 2 months from launch to the barren wasteland of information we actually have on the game.

JaggedSac

The 2 core VM that Azure has is considered the Medium VM. It is apparently a 2ghz AMD Opteron 4171 HE with 3gb of RAM. That was as of Feb of last year so they may be upgraded since then or the Thunderhead stuff may be completely different than the main Azure offerings. Gives an idea of what they have to work with though.

Mononoke

Banned
So I assume if we get into this Alpha test, we will be able to play with friends fellow/gaffers that also get in? I guess kind of a dumb question, given we dont know the extent of the test (what we will have access too). If so, I'll probably need to add some people to my friends list. It's pathetic, but I legit don't have a single person on my Xbox One friends list. Everyone I know went the PS4 route this time.

Top Bottom