• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Exclusive Invitation for an Xbox One Alpha Trial [Titanfall]

Tsundere

Banned
Wasn't Vince kind of let down that Titanfall was made exclusive for one console? I don't even think he was made aware of it, until after it happened. He kind of seemed up set on Twitter, but said that Titanfall 2 would be on other consoles.

Yes, he was rather upset it happened. He went and formed Respawn to avoid this kind of thing.

Mononoke

Banned
He then signed a deal with EA to publish Titanfall. There was no avoiding the inevitable.

Sure, doesn't mean he wasn't still let down by it. EA makes major titles on all platforms. Does EA usually even make console exclusive deals often? Most of their major titles are on all platforms, because they want to make money. I actually thought this was kind of a shocker, since EA usually doesn't dabble in full on exclusives like that. Ex-MS employees working at EA, and their close relationship, kind of made the deal seem like EA wanted to give X1 a major leg up as the Next Gen begin.

Plus Vince doesn't have to sell Respawn just because EA made this deal for the first game.

It looks like movie with a tiny human running between hung robots.

29db411914f980415f23fad69311c356278a6ab55117f4e7d939da2a934d4c4a.jpg

KaiPow

Banned
Wasn't Vince kind of let down that Titanfall was made exclusive for one console? I don't even think he was made aware of it, until after it happened. He kind of seemed upset on Twitter, but said that Titanfall 2 would be on other consoles.

Yeah, that was actually something I got him to comment on Twitter the day that EA dropped the bomb that Titanfall 1 was exclusive to MS systems. Here's to hoping that we can see TF2 drop in a year's time for ps4.

Looking forward to playing this on pc. I hope it does enough to really change the call of duty formula to feel fresh again.

It's probably to save space on a downloadable alpha, but man, some of those textures were looking rough in that footage. I wonder how much this game is being held back by the 360 version in terms of scope and asset detail?

It's not as bad as the CoD:Ghosts Current to Next gen port, but it's not as remarkable as the Battlefield 4 Current to Next gen transition either.

Bsigg12

Yeah, that was actually something I got him to comment on Twitter the day that EA dropped the bomb that Titanfall 1 was exclusive to MS systems. Here's to hoping that we can see TF2 drop in a year's time for ps4.

It'll probably be 2 years before Titanfall 2.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.

A year? I hope not. At least a 2 year cycle like from BF3 to BF4. Really don't want this to become an annualized franchise like CoD. It's just too much.

You all have enough to play on PS4 anyways, Infamous comes out like the same month :p

Mononoke

Banned

I really doubt it will happen again. I think Titanfall could make much more money, and grow as a franchise, if it was on all platforms at the same time. And there is no reason for TF 2 to not be at release for PS4. If Vince doesn't like what EA did with MS with TF, then maybe they could go with someone else to produce the sequel so EA doesn't do it again (unless the contract they signed, guarantees EA has the right to produce every game in the franchise. Not sure how that works). I can't imagine that EA would though, as I don't think it's that normal for them to make these kind of big deals.

As an X1 fan, I think it would be really lame to do that to PS4. Hell, as a Titanfall fan, I would hate for the franchise to be limited in its user base.

I wouldn't bank on that - some version of Titanfall for PS4 is surely at the front of their minds at respawn. Especially if the game does well EA will want to annualize it so that Dice doesn't have to release a game each year.

also with the speed of movement i think this game is going to feel really nice on mouse and keyboard. I was doubtful at first because Call of Duty always kind of felt like a controller game but seeing the movement speed, i think it'll feel nice with a mouse.

Also you can really tell they are limiting the vertical nature of these maps. Its the one complaint i have about the 12 player size, I feel like if it was 32 or so they could really go crazy with maps that are 6 or 8 stories high and lots more opportunities for parkour and aerial acrobatics. Right now you're pretty much just jumping up to second story windows.

I wouldn't bank on that - some version of Titanfall for PS4 is surely at the front of their minds at respawn. Especially if the game does well EA will want to annualize it so that Dice doesn't have to release a game each year.

Annualized titanfall will be a bad idea,its online only and will be short lived for only 1 year. No way that happens. Also Respawn owns the ip, i dont think EA has say in that.

Sure, doesn't mean he wasn't still let down by it. EA makes major titles on all platforms. Does EA usually even make console exclusive deals often? Most of their major titles are on all platforms, because they want to make money. I actually thought this was kind of a shocker, since EA usually doesn't dabble in full on exclusives like that. Ex-MS employees working at EA, and their close relationship, kind of made the deal seem like EA wanted to give X1 a major leg up as the Next Gen begin.

Plus Vince doesn't have to sell Respawn just because EA made this deal for the first game.

Who's going to publish Titanfall 2? EA?
If so there's no guarantee the same deal won't be done again, especially if it pushes big numbers across 360 and Xbox One.

Bsigg12

DICE has 3 different game series in development, Mirrors Edge, Star Wars Battlefront and Battlefield. Respawn is crazy small compared to DICE and EA doesn't own Respawn, they are just publishing the games.

Sub_Level

They will already have tons of BF4 DLC this year + any TF DLC + Dragon Age + their next round of sports games at the end of this year. Next year will be Battlefront's time + Mirror's Edge + probably Mass Effect. Will be surprised if a Titanfall sequel arrives before Spring '16.

Gorillaz

Wasn't Vince kind of let down that Titanfall was made exclusive for one console? I don't even think he was made aware of it, until after it happened. He kind of seemed upset on Twitter, but said that Titanfall 2 would be on other consoles.

Yes, he was rather upset it happened. He went and formed Respawn to avoid this kind of thing.

yea he was "upset", he knew it was going to go down months ago but most likely kept it sealed up until info came out by itself

edit: sequel will probably be in 2016 obviously, can't see them have the manpower for yearly releases plus they know what damage that did to CoD

Annualized titanfall will be a bad idea,its online only and will be short lived for only 1 year. No way that happens. Also Respawn owns the ip, i dont think EA has say in that.

I think it's especially likely for the first game considering the nearly stated desire to bring it to PS4 and the fact that it was probably limited by being a launch title and having to do a 360 version.

Do another titanfall for both platforms in early 2015, give Dice some time to get their shit together with Battlefield 4 in 2014 and do Mirrors Edge and next Battlefield in 2016 makes sense to me.

of course all of this is talking out of my rear end and speculation.

I think it's especially likely for the first game considering the nearly stated desire to bring it to PS4 and the fact that it was probably limited by being a launch title and having to do a 360 version.

Do another titanfall for both platforms in early 2015, give Dice some time to get their shit together with Battlefield 4 in 2014 and do Mirrors Edge and next Battlefield in 2016 makes sense to me.

1 yr for an online only game does not make sense actually. Also EA has medal of honor. TF is not their ip,just a partnership.

Sub_Level

1 yr for an online only game does not make sense actually. Also EA has medal of honor. TF is not their ip,just a partnership.

Medal of Honor: Warfighter 2 is probably gonna be the defining game of the generation. Tier 0, a Tier even "above" 1 with factions you've never even heard of. I'm talking some bad motherfuckers, like triple special ops.

Mononoke

Banned
yea he was "upset", he knew it was going to go down months ago but most likely kept it sealed up until info came out by itself

edit: sequel will probably be in 2016 obviously, can't see them have the manpower for yearly releases plus they know what damage that did to CoD

Well, I personally don't think he wants TF to be limited to one console. I can't imagine you work all that time creating something, and have the user base limited. I do understand the profit side to it though. While they could have made a lot more money selling it on all platforms, exclusives are a safe bet (guaranteed money, and less risk for a new franchise). And they got paid nicely out the deal.

But Vince seems like the kind of guy, that wants a lot of people to be able to enjoy this franchise. So I believe him when he says he wants TF2 to be all platforms. Although it's up to the individual to interpret what he says. I guess it doesn't matter to me, seeing as I'll be playing it on PC, and I own an X1. But as a fan of the game, I would like to see more people get a chance to play its awesomeness. And I don't see why someone playing it on X1, wouldn't feel the same way.

Unless we are still hung up on that console war bullshit. Who cares about that.

Sub_Level

This game comes out in like 50 days and still no gamestop preorder bonuses.

Very surprised. Dark Souls 2 comes out the same day and that had retailer preorder bonuses announced a while back.

Bsigg12

This game comes out in like 50 days and still no gamestop preorder bonuses.

Very surprised. Dark Souls 2 comes out the same day and that had retailer preorder bonuses announced a while back.

They are giving out some poster thing. I got an email from GameStop last week about it.

maus

Aw I was a little excited for this but it just looks insanely derivative. CoD plus Crysis plus awkward twitchy/shuffling mechs in a grey/brown battlefield. Huge, cluttered hud; shallow objectives with a guy constantly shouting them at you so you needn't ever actually speak to your teammates.

If there were no mechs this game would be getting laughed at for how uninspired it looks.

Gorillaz

Dark Souls 2 coming out the same day?
Well, I personally don't think he wants TF to be limited to one console. I can't imagine you work all that time creating something, and have the user base limited. I do understand the profit side to it though. While they could have made a lot more money selling it on all platforms, exclusives are a safe bet (guaranteed money, and less risk for a new franchise). And they got paid nicely out the deal.

But Vince seems like the kind of guy, that wants a lot of people to be able to enjoy this franchise. So I believe him when he says he wants TF2 to be all platforms. Although it's up to the individual to interpret what he says. I guess it doesn't matter to me, seeing as I'll be playing it on PC, and I own an X1. But as a fan of the game, I would like to see more people get a chance to play its awesomeness. And I don't see why someone playing it on X1, wouldn't feel the same way.

Unless we are still hung up on that console war bullshit. Who cares about that.

Zampella is smart, he's not gonna let that Activision thing to happen again, he does want everyone to play it but he also wants to help out his studio and allow them to have more security then they did with IW. Like signing up for EA partners instead of just full out joining EA. The deal with MS is a fail safe, because even if the sales are low (which it won't be) they still get a built in payday for siding with MS for the first game

Lifetime sales will reflect whether they do the deal again or not, stay with EA or not, and go multiplat or not.

He wants to see everyone play it but with the deal he has as of right now, everybody wins, business wise.

does anyone really know what "life of the product" means? does this leave the door open for a Sigma/GOTY back door clause that could be exploited?

Mononoke

Banned
Dark Souls 2 coming out the same day?

Zampella is smart, he's not gonna let that Activision thing to happen again, he does want everyone to play it but he also wants to help out his studio and allow them to have more security then they did with IW. Like signing up for EA partners instead of just full out joining EA. The deal with MS is a fail safe, because even if the sales are low (which it won't be) they still get a built in payday for siding with MS for the first game

Lifetime sales will reflect whether they do the deal again or not, stay with EA or not, and go multiplat or not.

He wants to see everyone play it but with the deal he has as of right now, everybody wins, business wise.

So you are saying Vince was full of shit, when feigning that he was upset?

Gorillaz

So you are saying Vince was full of shit, when feigning that he was upset?

not full of shit but I don't think the lockdown deal was not "out of nowhere" as alot of people thought it was. I think it was in talks for awhile behind the scenes and he finally said something about it

Shrennin

Didn't get the memo regarding the 14th Amendment

of course all of this is talking out of my rear end and speculation.

I don't know - I actually don't expect another TitanFall in early 2015 - you could make a case for late 2015, but I suspect that Microsoft probably has a time frame in mind when they made the deal for when another TitanFall could come out to competing platforms - of course I could be wrong there. Regardless, I don't think Respawn is going to rush another TitanFall out so soon - early 2015 seems way too soon for another full fledged game that isn't just more of the same thing. I really think TitanFall is going to be one of those franchises that has incremental innovation throughout each game.

Shrennin

You get this poster.

If there's no pre-order bonuses, I still might get it at Gamestop just because I have the poster for Destiny and I think Destiny and TitanFall will be two of my favorite FPS franchises this generation - at least during the beginning of it anyway.

Does anyone know if ANY pre-order bonuses have been announced yet? Or if there will be any? It would actually be really refreshing if there weren't any pre-order bonuses, so I hope for that one!

Mononoke

Banned
money talks, bullshit walks.

I wouldn't put it past him. Never underestimate the power of a dollar. Or millions of them, as it were.

I guess so. I sure hope not though. I like the game. I want others to play it. I know that's not always the top priority when there is money involved. I would lose respect for MS if they money hatted this entire franchise.

inb4 someone makes fun of me for having any respect for MS to begin with.

Chobel

I guess so. I sure hope not though. I like the game. I want others to play it. I know that's not always the top priority when there is money involved. I would lose respect for MS if they money hatted this entire franchise.

If MS buy Respawn, it won't be moneyhatting anymore, and I would actually respect them for that.

If there's no pre-order bonuses, I still might get it at Gamestop just because I have the poster for Destiny and I think Destiny and TitanFall will be two of my favorite FPS franchises this generation - at least during the beginning of it anyway.

Does anyone know if ANY pre-order bonuses have been announced yet? Or if there will be any? It would actually be really refreshing if there weren't any pre-order bonuses, so I hope for that one!

i dont thing they have gone the GUN SKIN XP BOOSTER route. Doubt there will be any digital preorder stuff.

Mononoke

Banned
If MS buy Respawn, it won't be moneyhatting anymore, and I would actually respect them for that.

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of Vince leaving to start his own company? As the other guy said, money talks. I guess it depends how much money MS is willing to throw around.

inb4 someone makes fun of me for having any respect for MS to begin with.

the question is, does Respawn want to be owned by MS? we've seen how Bungie was fed up with turning out Halo every other year.

Gorillaz

Respawn will beef up staff most likely over the next year. As of right now it sounds like it's basically a skeleton crew so they might need to have some sort of partnership this time around. Next time who knows

Shrennin

i dont thing they have gone the GUN SKIN XP BOOSTER route. Doubt there will be any digital preorder stuff.

Even though I doubt this is in their control, major respect toward Respawn if those pre-order bonuses don't happen. I much prefer anything extra that's not readily available to be unlockable within the game. It's a lot more fun that way when you can actually show off what you earned in the game rather than what you pre-ordered or bought!

the question is, does Respawn want to be owned by MS? we've seen how Bungie was fed up with turning out Halo every other year.

This is a good point - I doubt Respawn wants to keep making TitanFall for the rest of the generation. Hopefully, in the unlikely event that Microsoft does buy them, they'll realize that the talent matters more than the IP. I think they still realized this with Bungie by letting Bungie go and creating 343 instead (where it was clear 343's purpose was to make Halo related stuff).

Chobel

Wouldn't that defeat the purpose of Vince leaving to start his own company? As the other guy said, money talks. I guess it depends how much money MS is willing to throw around.

Of course there's the possibiliy that EA will still be the publisher of the sequel(s). So MS buying Respawn will be out of the question.

Respawn is pleased to also announce that it has awarded Electronic Arts (NASDAQ:ERTS), through the distinguished EA Partners program, exclusive worldwide publishing and distribution rights to future games. Terms were not disclosed. West and Zampella are represented by Creative Artists Agency (CAA).

This says games, in plural.

Source: http://investor.ea.com/releasedetail.cfm?ReleaseID=458085

Top Bottom