• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extra content from Fantasy Life Link will be released in US/EU as Day 1 DLC

Robin64

We're getting a lot of the improved systems that Link brought, such as the online multiplayer, baked into our base game. That's pretty nice of them.

We're just not getting the additional content, which was DLC in Japan (though you could buy a new version at retail with the DLC added) and remains DLC here.

Peff

LOL at people trying to pin this down on Level 5. Yep, the evil developer is bullying little Nintendo into making more money out of their customers. Assuming this costs money, that it actually did come from Level 5 and Nintendo disagreed with it, they would have told them to fuck off, like they have in the past with Capcom and Square-Enix for not translating Phoenix Wright and Kingdom Hearts.

Santar

The 2nd linked article makes it sound like an expansion to the base game.

So uh... it's an expansion?

I think you goofed OP

Fantasy Life Link was both released as a downloadable update for the original release of the game and as a physical retail re-release with everything on the cart.

L~A

So, let's clarify stuff a bit, shall we?

That "Origin Pack" is actually the content that was added in Fantasy Life Link!, which was a paid expansion in Japan, and was released several months after the game.

The thing is, that paid expansion also added online play. But in the West, Nintendo and Level-5 decided to add online play in the base version, for free.

In other words, no content was cut from the final game. Actually, it's the opposite, as content that was not in the base game was actually added, for free.

You might want to complain that Nintendo and/or Level-5 didn't add all the content from the Link! expansion for the western release. Fair enough. But you certainly can't say they cut anything to sell it as Day-1 DLC.

It's pretty shitty to bring over the ancient base game and charge us extra for the link content. It's a two year old game, bringing over the most recent version of it should be a given.

also

Banned
Would be nice to know all the facts first.

1) Does the add-on cost money, or is it free and made separate for some other technical reason (i.e. localisation into five different languages in Europe means games take up more space on a cart)?

2) Was this really NIntendo's decision, or Level-5's? Nintendo may be publishing the game but it didn't develop it.

That's probably why the "media" (no need for the snarky quote marks) hasn't reported on it yet - because sometimes it waits until it has all the facts instead of making knee-jerk reactions like you just did.

1.) The add-on cost money for the original owners of the game in Japan but they rereleased the game with all the content included at the same time as they updated the game. We are getting the updated version. This would be kind of like bringing over Monster Hunter 4 and locking the additional content of the G version behind a paywall.

2.) Nintendo is the publisher, they make the calls.

Oh look, it seems we already have all the facts.

Really shitty of Nintendo and I certainly won't support this practice. The icing on the cake would be if all the content was already on the cart and you would only download an unlock key.

Kouriozan

Ok, just saw it got a stand alone version for cheap, guess we can only blame Level 5 and Nintendo for not forcing Level 5 to include it in the base game.

Madness

I'm just laughing because people wanted Nintendo to be modern and embrace the changes in the industry, and they're doing just that. Cutting content to repackage as DLC, something other companies have already been doing for years.

casiopao

1.) The add-on cost money for the original owners of the game in Japan but they rereleased the game with all the content included at the same time as they updated the game. We are getting the updated version. This would be kind of like bringing over Monster Hunter 4 and locking the additional content of the G version behind a paywall.

2.) Nintendo is the publisher, they make the calls.

Oh look, it seems we already have all the facts.

Really shitty of Nintendo and I certainly won't support this practice. The icing on the cake would be if all the content was already on the cart and you would only download an unlock key.

That "Origin Pack" is actually the content that was added in Fantasy Life Link!, which was a paid expansion in Japan, and was released several months after the game.

The thing is, that paid expansion also added online play. But in the West, Nintendo and Level-5 decided to add online play in the base version, for free.

In other words, no content was cut from the final game. Actually, it's the opposite, as content that was not in the base game was actually added, for free.

You might want to complain that Nintendo and/or Level-5 didn't add all the content from the Link! expansion for the western release. Fair enough. But you certainly can't say they cut anything to sell it as Day-1 DLC.

Chech that quote i guess?

Santar

That "Origin Pack" is actually the content that was added in Fantasy Life Link! which was a paid expansion in Japan, and was released several month after the game.

In other words, no content was cut from the final game. Actually, it's the opposite, as content that was not in the base game was actually added for free.

You might want to complain that Nintendo and/or Level-5 didn't add all the content from the Link! expansion for the western release. Fair enough. But they certainly didn't cut anything.

Are we 100% sure that the origin island pack includes all the Link content?
And that only the online part is in the retail game?

Give me a price before I worry. Also look at the price of Fantasy Life itself. Sometimes games do this thing where they cut the price and cut content as a justification...

I do believe there was a similar case with Fire Emblem: Awakening where content that was available in the Japanese version was sold as DLC in the western releases, although I seem to remember that same DLC being free for like the first 30 days, for the earliest adopters.
You know you could have checked?

As for the second bit Champions of Yore 1 was free in all regions.

I'm just laughing because people wanted Nintendo to be modern and embrace the changes in the industry, and they're doing just that. Cutting content to repackage as DLC, something other companies have already been doing for years.

Most companies don't even do this. Who localizes the old versions of 2 year old games and then releases the content from more recent releases as dlc? Even ports or re-releases of older games from major western publishers often bundle in the dlc.

We ARE getting the Link version.

Link in Japan added: online multiplayer, text chat, more quests, higher level cap, and the new map Origin Island.

We are getting all that, except the new map, which will be sold as DLC.

Conflicted on this... while it sucks, the difference is that this is cut DLC essentially, not cut from the base game. According to the logic being used for this, the western Fire Emblem 3DS release should have come with all the DLC from the Japanese game for free.

Regardless, it's still a pretty big bummer having significant content DLC being purchasable on Day One.

Conflicted on this... while it sucks, the difference is that this is cut DLC essentially, not cut from the base game. According to the logic being used for this, the western Fire Emblem 3DS release should have come with all the DLC from the Japanese game for free.

Fire Emblem Awakening had a Japanese retail release with all the dlc included over a year before the western release?

Kouriozan

Remember to vote with your wallet please.
I was planning to buy it for my mother and me but if the DLC is 15€ or more it's too much.

Nibel

Link in Japan added: online multiplayer, text chat, more quests, higher level cap, and the new map Origin Island.

Welp, you done goofin' OP. A update would be appreciated before unnecessary shitstorms happen.

L~A

Are we 100% sure that the origin island pack includes all the Link content?
And that only the online part is in the retail game?

Based on what the PR says is added to the game, yes.

Origin Island offers a whole new area home to an ancient culture and powerful enemies, additional story content, new ranks to achieve in Life Classes, access to even more powerful equipment and two new varieties of pets to adopt: birds and dragons

Here's what Siliconera got to say about the expansion (Japanese version):

Level-5 gave their popular simulation game Fantasy Life an overhaul with Fantasy Life Link! The expanded version of adds full online multiplayer where you can link up with friends using the 3DS’ friend code system. Players can chat with each other using a touch screen keyboard on the bottom screen or using canned messages. A new StreetPass feature puts other people’s avatars in your town.

Fantasy Life Link! also has more hairstyle and face parts so you’ll see more avatar variation in Link. Players can also customize their avatar in the middle of the game if they feel they need a makeover. A screenshot function lets players take pictures of their avatar living their fantasy life too.

Gameplay-wise, Level-5 upped all of the level caps. The max character level in Fantasy Life Link! went up from 100 to 200. Skill levels went up to 20 and parameters can be boosted to 100. A new dependability stat for companion characters has been added to Link too and if this stat is high the companion gets a big boost. The best title you can earn in Fantasy Life Link! is "god."

In addition to dogs and cats, Fantasy Life Link! adds a pet bird and pet dragon. If you want to exchange pets you can do so by returning the pet you currently have. Pets also have the dependability stat and if this is high they can use more powerful special attacks.

Want to live a relaxing fantasy life? Level-5 added plenty of new items including furniture for players to collect.

http://www.siliconera.com/2013/06/2...sy-life-adds-pet-dragons/#8BVzsvv4yEfSt41c.99

So Link! add-on content = Origin Pack, minus the online play and chat (and probably the customisation option for your character).

Santar

Lol, u are not sure about the info there and u are already making such title?

I was under the impression (like everybody else) that the localized version was the updated Fantasy Life Link re-release.
Somebody brought to my attention that this might not be the case and therefore I'm asking for clarification.

vareon

Ah so the situation is a wee bit different than For The Sequel. BD FTS didn't have anything like Origin Island.

Basically they kept the features of Link!, but left the added Island as DLC.

Still unfortunate, knowing we know there's a retail version of Link!. But hey, at least they keep the online multiplayer.

Santar

Based on what the PR says is added to the game, yes.

Here's what Siliconera got to say about the expansion (Japanese version):

So Link! add-on content = Origin Pack, minus the online part (and probably the customisation option for your character).

So this changes things how exactly?
They are doing just what I said in the OP, they cut out content from the game to sell us on day 1.

casiopao

I was under the impression (like everybody else) that the localized version was the updated Fantasy Life Link re-release.
Somebody brought to my attention that this might not be the case and therefore I'm asking for clarification.

Well, with this the problem are already solved i guess?

That Click Bait title though.

So this changes things how exactly?
They are doing just what I said in the OP, they cut out content from the game to sell us on day 1.

They added everything which come from Fantasy Life Link except the Origin Island? And considering the game is sale as Fantasy Life outside of JP, it should also mean that this game is still not Link version?

Fire Emblem Awakening had a Japanese retail release with all the dlc included over a year before the western release?

I suppose the fact Fantasy Life's DLC was re-released in another retail release does make it slightly different, I'll concede to that.

Still though, while it would be great if the content WAS included, I don't think it's particularly scummy not including since it was DLC. As in, it would definitely be a good and smart goodwill move by Nintendo to include, but I'm not sure it's worth an uproar over the exclusion either.

Glass Rebel

There are two ways to look at this..

1) They're releasing vanilla Fantasy Life with some of the content from Link! for free and selling the rest separately

2) They're releasing Fantasy Life Link! but cut out some of the content to sell it separately

It's not ideal either way but without looking at the price of the game and the DLC, it's difficult to say how bad this is.

I suppose the fact Fantasy Life's DLC was re-released in another retail release does make it slightly different, I'll concede to that.

Still though, while it would be great if the content WAS included, I don't think it's particularly scummy not including since it was DLC. As in, it would definitely be a good and smart goodwill move by Nintendo to include, but I'm not sure it's worth an uproar over the exclusion either.

If this had been a timely localization I could see the justification. But for a 2 year old game that's already been re-released with all this dlc included? If this were EA or Activision no one would be defending this.

Actually, this is not true as well.

Nintendo PR clearly states that the Day One DLC will indeed include " text chat, more quests, higher level cap, and the new map Origin Island".

The Fantasy Life we are getting is Fantasy Life + multiplayer. All the other Link contents are included in the DLC. Which is not a big issue because the game is fully enjoyable nonetheless.

1) They're releasing vanilla Fantasy Life with some of the content from Link! for free and selling the rest separately

2) They're releasing Fantasy Life Link! but cut out some of the content to sell it separately

It's not ideal either way but without looking at the price of the game and the DLC, it's difficult to say how bad this is.

Agreed. It is certainly not great, but kneejerk reactions like:
Dont worry, you will have plenty of posts explaining to you why you are wrong in due course. Nintendo would never do anything that didnt have their customers best interests at heart.
and
I cant believe that some people are defending this shit.

are on the other end of the spectrum.

JoeM86

Oh good, we're having misconceptions up the wazoo again. Bet sites will start running this without actually researching the facts soon.

No content is cut. Online and a few other features were added to the main game because it should have been there in the first place, but what was DLC in Japan remains DLC here. It's as simple as that.

Nintendo: "It’s not about what I want; it’s about what’s fair! You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time! But you were wrong. The world is cruel, and the only morality in a cruel world is chance. Unbiased. Unprejudiced. Fair."

Gamers: "What happened with Sony and Microsoft wasn’t chance! You all decided to act, you three!"

Nintendo: "Then why was it me who was the only one who lost everything?"

Gamers: "It wasn’t."

Nintendo: "The gamers didn't buy the Wii U!"

Gamers: "Because you were the best of us. They wanted to prove that even someone as good as you could fall."

Nintendo: "And you were right."

Peff

The game is full price, at least in Europe. When you're being outdone by a european release of an Atlus game (vanilla Fantasy Life is two years old, SMTIV is one and 20€) you know it's bad.

If this had been a timely localization I could see the justification. But for a 2 year old game that's already been re-released with all this dlc included? If this were EA or Activision no one would be defending this.
Fantasy Life and Link were developed as two different games. Level 5 is not an NGO.

EA develops both the game and DLC under the same budget and at the same time.

Santar

Actually, this is not true as well.

Nintendo PR clearly states that the Day One DLC will indeed include " text chat, more quests, higher level cap, and the new map Origin Island".

The Fantasy Life we are getting is Fantasy Life + multiplayer. All the other Link contents are included in the DLC. Which is not a big issue because the game is fully enjoyable nonetheless.

So you don't think it's a bit crappy of them to leave in the online from the Link re-release and just leave everything else out to sell it on day 1 as dlc?

also

Banned
Chech that quote i guess?
Let's make this clearer.

-Capcom releases Street Fighter 5 in Japan.
-7 months later they discontinue the original SF5 and release the Ultra ZX edition; you can either buy the retail version of Ultra ZX or upgrade your SF5 through DLC at a heavy discount
-another 1 year and 2 months later, the West finally gets Street Fighter 5

Question time; which version do you think the West should get?
-The full Ultra ZX edition
-A cut Ultra ZX edition that requires you to buy some of the content as DLC

synce

Nintendo's not new to cutting content for westerners. I still remember the Japanese Other M had dual audio options but it was restricted to english only for the US version, even though it was all already on the disc.

Santar

Oh good, we're having misconceptions up the wazoo again. Bet sites will start running this without actually researching the facts soon.

No content is cut. Online and a few other features were added to the main game because it should have been there in the first place, but what was DLC in Japan remains DLC here. It's as simple as that.

The facts are some content from Fantasy Life Link was chosen to be included in the localized version (online multiplayer), all the rest of the Link content were conveniently left out to sell it to us as day 1 dlc.

Some already did, from what I've seen after this thread was up.

DizzyCrow

Nintendo: "It’s not about what I want; it’s about what’s fair! You thought we could be decent men in an indecent time! But you were wrong. The world is cruel, and the only morality in a cruel world is chance. Unbiased. Unprejudiced. Fair."

Gamers: "What happened with Sony and Microsoft wasn’t chance! You all decided to act, you three!"

Nintendo: "Then why was it me who was the only one who lost everything?"

Gamers: "It wasn’t."

Nintendo: "The gamers didn't buy the Wii U!"

Gamers: "Because you were the best of us. They wanted to prove that even someone as good as you could fall."

Nintendo: "And you were right."
Lol

Top Bottom