• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Extra content from Fantasy Life Link will be released in US/EU as Day 1 DLC

Peff

Why would they?

Will Ubisoft release Watch_Dogs on the Wii U for the same price as the other versions will be in November? Will Rockstar with GTA?

The logic is flawed. I just see an attempt to find an issue here when none exists.

I guess you're right. I remember Wii U owners being ecstatic about getting a full-price version of Mass Effect 3 with no DLC included at the same time the other platforms were getting Mass Effect Trilogy for the same price.

duckroll

Bravely Default For the Sequel is an enhanced re-release of Bravely Default with additional content. Owners of the original Bravely Default in Japan were given the option to upgrade for a lower price.

Fantasy Life Link is an enhanced re-release of Fantasy Life with additional content. Owners of the original Fantasy Life in Japan were given the option to upgrade for a lower price.

--

The English release of Bravely Default is based on the For the Sequel edition, and contains all the content of in that re-release. There is no additional charge for any content in the game.

The English release of Fantasy Life is based on the Fantasy Life Link edition, but does not contain a large portion of the extra content. That extra content is being sold as day one DLC.

:)

duckroll

I think it's understandable from a business perspective why they might want to do something like this. But at the same time, it is also understandable why consumers don't have to be happy with it. This would be a non-issue if the game was localized and released in a timely manner and then followed up by the expansion. It is an issue now because when people wait years for companies to get their act together to localize stuff, they expect the most complete package.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd
Bravely Default For the Sequel is an enhanced re-release of Bravely Default with additional content. Owners of the original Bravely Default in Japan were given the option to upgrade for a lower price.

Fantasy Life Link is an enhanced re-release of Fantasy Life with additional content. Owners of the original Fantasy Life in Japan were given the option to upgrade for a lower price.

--

The English release of Bravely Default is based on the For the Sequel edition, and contains all the content of in that re-release. There is no additional charge for any content in the game.

The English release of Fantasy Life is based on the Fantasy Life Link edition, but does not contain a large portion of the extra content. That extra content is being sold as day one DLC.

perfect.

--

Thank you, people are skipping through this.

fernoca

Hss price been mentioned? I mean..Nintendo usually releases DLC for free during the first month...and for all the "outrage" at this it could be like that and then $5 after that.

CTLance

Once again, I'm confused.
Or Nintendo localizes 2 year old version of game, sells 1 year old version as DLC.
Yeah, I think that's what I'll go with as bottom line, being a self-declared Nintendo fanboy.

Delays of that magnitude suck. Whether or not they ported the old game and put in half of the update just to sell us the other half or ported the updated version and ripped out a part to sell us separately year(s) after the game has come out isn't really all that high on my list of things to rage about anymore.
Then again, thanks to region codes we have to be happy we are graciously allowed to play the game at all, I guess. </vaguelyrelatedwhine>

It's a shitty situation no matter what. Unless you consider them localising the game as an action worthy of praise. In which case they're being nice while still fleecing us. One hand giveth, the other taketh away.

TLDR: I remain confused on this issue.

kurahador

Was that actually confirmed 100%, or just an assumption?

Pretty much confirmed, considering the vanilla FL doesn't have multiplayer.
The only Link! content that wasn't included is the extra Island apparently, which is sold as DLC.

About Bravely Default, I think NA version didn't include the extra movie at end from For The Second.

sd28821

I think it's understandable from a business perspective why they might want to do something like this. But at the same time, it is also understandable why consumers don't have to be happy with it. This would be a non-issue if the game was localized and released in a timely manner and then followed up by the expansion. It is an issue now because when people wait years for companies to get their act together to localize stuff, they expect the most complete package.

agreed though i do remember something about online being planned for the base game but L5 were unable to implement it in time etc .

Santar

--

Good post, please read this people!

Was that actually confirmed 100%, or just an assumption?

It's halfway, really. The English version has online multi-player, which is one of the main new features of Link; the other contents that are present in Link but sold to Western consumers through a day-one DLC are really DLC-like contents: a new maps, new weapons, more level caps.

also

Banned
More than likely it's from Level5. I've been involved in the anime community to know sometimes licensing issues pop up that make no sense. Like how the new Eva movie is being withheld from US release due to Japan not liking the dub (the dub was finished a long time ago, it's already out on disc in France) or how there are restrictions on what goods you can bundle together in one product, leading to a series and it's OVAs having to be separate releases.

Having to keep parity to the Japanese release isn't unexpected at all.

This is not keeping parity, quite the opposite in fact; the West is getting an outdated version and Nintendo is charging for the update, even though the old version was discontinued in Japan.

duckroll

It's halfway, really. The English version has online multi-player, which is one of the main new features of Link; the other contents that are present in Link but sold to Western consumers through a day-one DLC are really DLC-like contents: a new maps, new weapons, more level caps.

I think we can separate content with functionality pretty easily. The game code is clearly based on Link and has all the functionality and improvements, which is a good thing. Content-wise they chose to sell the extra stuff for people who want more out of the game instead of packing it all in.

Aostia

El Capitan Todd

I am mad at L5 for their localization behaviours, indeed.
in fact I'm happy that Nintendo sees some value in localizing and distributing third party games to sustain their library.
Looking at the original L5 business model for FL, I think that this way is better. we get more contents than Japanese in the basic release. we'll see the cost to expand the experience up to the full Japanese expansion.
I think I'll be ok with the basic one.

The only Link! content that wasn't included is the extra Island apparently, which is sold as DLC.

Nope. According to Nintnedo PR the only Link content that was included is online multi-player. All the other contents (new weapons, new area, higher level caps, new pets to adopt, new stories and missions) will be released as a DLC.

Glass Rebel

Someone correct me if I'm wrong but the situation seems to be like this:

Fantasy Life was released in December 2012 for 5980 yen (compared to 4800 yen for Animal Crossing)

Fantasy Life: Link! was released 7 months later digitally as an update to the original for ~2000 yen and as a retail release including the original Fantasy Life for 4980 yen.

Now we're getting Fantasy Life + the online portion for $40 (compared to $35 for Animal Crossing) almost two years after the original release but some of the Link! content sold separately for an as of yet undisclosed price.

For comparsion: Bravely Default For The Sequel (which we got) had a similar price-drop of roughly 1000 yen and was afaik released for $40 but had a shorter localization time.

I'd argue that Nintendo and Level-5 should have done the same as they did with Bravely Default since it's selling at the same price.

It's confirmed, because online multiplayer was one of the main features they added for Link, and they demo'd that at E3.

About Bravely Default, I think NA version didn't include the extra movie at end from For The Second.

ah ok

I think it is unfortunate but not the world ending Nintendo deserve to die the worst death of being bought by their nemesis and locked away and having the key thrown out* scenario the media will paint.

*(aka pretty much what Konami has done to Hudson).

The game is full price, at least in Europe. When you're being outdone by a european release of an Atlus game (vanilla Fantasy Life is two years old, SMTIV is one and 20€) you know it's bad.
BZZT WRONG. Fantasy Life is £35 (that store is always RRP), full price is £40 for 3DS.

As for SMTIV. It is English only, eShop only and would have come out a year ago if NISA were given it. The price is an apology on Atlus USA behalf (and they know damned well nobody would pay £40 for it when it is like $25 or less every other week in America).

If Fantasy Life was somehow out for a year in America and had all in the DLC you would have a point.

sd28821

I think it is unfortunate but not the world ending Nintendo deserve to die the worst death of being bought by their nemesis and locked away and having the key thrown out* scenario the media will paint.

*(aka pretty much what Konami has done to Hudson).

BZZT WRONG. Fantasy Life is £35 (that store is always RRP), full price is £40 for 3DS.

As for SMTIV. It is English only, eShop only and would have come out a year ago if NISA were given it. The price is an apology on Atlus USA behalf (and they know damned well nobody would pay £40 for it when it is like $25 or less every other week in America).

If Fantasy Life was somehow out for a year in America and had all in the DLC you would have a point.

you can get it cheaper off of amazon http://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B00KL1Y6AS/

It did. Unless you're talking about a different video than the one I remember watching at the end of BD.

kurahador

Nope. According to Nintnedo PR the only Link content that was included is online multi-player. All the other contents (new weapons, new area, higher level caps, new pets to adopt, new stories and missions) will be released as a DLC.

Ah...ok. So all the new loot is from the new island I'm guessing.

It did. Unless you're talking about a different video than the one I remember watching at the end of BD.

I think it's the one that unlock with Konami code.

--

Nintendo making SE look generous. What the fuck.

StormKing

Well this is just like Fire Emblem Awakening. Maybe they'll have a deal where anyone who buys the game in the first month gets the DLC for free. If not, I hope that the DLC will be sold at a reasonable price.

R.I.P

This.
I can understand why nintendo/level 5 are doing this, but the decision turned the game from a day 1 purchase to 'buy it at some point in a sale' for me.

also

Banned
Well this is just like Fire Emblem Awakening. Maybe they'll have a deal where anyone who buys the game in the first month gets the DLC for free. If not, I hope that the DLC will be sold at a reasonable price.
It's not. Japan never got a FE:A release with all the DLC included.

Also for SMT4 all those DLCs aren't included and we're not getting those retail bonus armours as useless as they are...

Anyway hopefully we'll get an official explanation soon =/

Phamit

Do Nintendo and Level 5 work on a game by game basis or do they have a multiple game contract?

Maybe is was a condition from Level 5 ?

Whatever, thats not a practice you should support.

L~A

^

Heh, doubt they'll make one, sadly. Would be cool, though, but since only major 1st-party games are getting a dedicated Direct (at least, in NA/EU), I don't think it's likely (at all).

To play the devil's advocate, you can't really compare Bravely Default FTS and Fantasy Life Link!, because FTS doesn't actually have extra content (other than the bonus video at the end, and the special StreetPass bosses), only a long list of gameplay improvements (that could vey well have been released as game updates). On the other hand, FL Link! is full-fledged add-on, with a significant amount of new content.

I have to admit, I'm surprised they're releasing the add-on Day 1 (and I thought it'd be included for free, since online play is in). Maybe they should've waited a month or two before releasing it.

Kouriozan

Yeah that's why I'm kinda angry about the whole thing. But I should be glad we are finally getting the game.
Level 5 games always takes age to localize, I wonder why.

ohlawd

I like the disconnect between Bravely Default and Fantasy Life. All from the same publisher.

The former did things right. And it came out earlier this year.

The latter, basically we're getting Fantasy Life 1.x if we consider Fantasy Life Link to be 2.0 then yeah, we're missing content.

Nintendo following that Mona Lisa pic. About time. I'm not even mad. Day 1 DLC sold as cut content isn't uncommon and it's not even OK but shiet, I'm not mad when almost everyone does it >_>

so jaded at this lols.

Anyway, we should wait some clarification about the price. It would be nice if Nintendo will offer the DLC for free for those who are going to purchase the game in the first week or so, as they already did in the past.

Meffer

Nintendo tends to do specials deals with DLC for the first couple of weeks. Whether it's discounted at price or free. One Piece Unlimited World R had day one DLC which was free for a certain amount of time. We'll see.
And I will get the DLC regardless.

Meffer

But, even though I will get the DLC. I do think the separating some of the content the complete product that Japan had for a good while now is not cool; regardless whether Level5 made that choice or Nintendo did. So in my opinion, they should either have the DLC at low price or for free for the first month or so.

Meffer

Yes and no.

Your title is wrong. Nintendo did not cut any content from Fantasy Life. Actually, they are bringing Fantasy Life + multiplayer.

They could have brought Fantasy Life Link from the start, you're right. But what you call cut contents were a DLC expansion in Japan as well. The fact that it was also a retail release is because the original game was selling for 2000 yen or so in stores, hence its value already decreased.

As far as I know, anyway, Nintendo started localizing Fantasy Life a long time ago, when the Link version was still working in progress. It might well be that Nintendo required Level-5 to add the online, and the company decided to release a complete expansion. The fact that Link contents are day-one DLC might be due to the fact that the localization team could manage to finish its work in time for the release; there are strong evidences that Fantasy Life was due in the West last year, and the DLC expansion could have been a DLC released months after the launch.

In any case, the game is really enjoyable and I suggest you and all other people to give it a try. It's basically Dragon Quest's atmosphere + Animal Crossing's customization + actionRPG gameplay.

I think you're right on this. I think it was likely delayed because of all the text in game.

Busaiku

This wouldn't be an issue if we got this in a timely manner.
But this is the same Nintendo that did release Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 when Professional had already come out in Japan.
Though unlike Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2, at least we are getting access to this content, so that's something.

Still, this went from one of my most anticipated games, to me possibly skipping out on it.
I skipped out on Dragon Quest Monsters Joker 2 for this reason as well.

Top Bottom