• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2012 |OT| 2011 + 1

GHG

Gold Member
Another patch: http://community.codemasters.com/t5...sistance/F1-2012-Latest-Patch-PC-6/m-p/115288

F1 2012 – Latest Patch: PC 6

Today sees patch #6 available on Steam for PC versions of F1 2012.

This update addresses the following issues:

• Made Pro level AI quicker so that the time gap to Legendary AI is smaller. We’re keen to get community feedback on this change.
  • Fixed the weather system so that:
    Cars will no longer start the race on the wrong tyres.
    Cars will need to change to intermediate tyres when it has been raining with sufficient intensity
  • Fixed a crash in Co-Op when disconnecting on the results screens.
  • Fixed an issue where the point’s totals on the Constructors Championship table were incorrectly doubled.
  • Medals awarded in season challenge now update the player statistics correctly.

Codemasters sure are pushing out the fixes!

WTF is this!?! I swear this is the reason I'm refusing to buy this game and will continue with 2012. They are keen to get the community feedback? This isn't Project Cars where it is still in development and everybody contributes to the overall shape and feel of the game. This is a retail game. Surely somebody at Codemasters is competent enough to call the shots and make decisions on how the game should be?

TJP

Latest patch was only small (21 MB) and hopefully Codemasters didn't break anything with this latest effort.

It's probably closer to F1 '97+15.

Actually, no. '97 was a good game.
EVERY racing game from Bizarre Creations is awesome - how long did it take for another console racer to have a decent first peson cockpit view, visor tear off's that accumulate grime, blown engines billowing smoke, proper live timing and commentary from Murray Walker (who was going to record commentary for PGR's Gotham TV) amongst many other features? Bizarre Creations were coding geniuses.

Shaneus

Latest patch was only small (21 MB) and hopefully Codemasters didn't break anything with this latest effort.

EVERY racing game from Bizarre Creations is awesome - how long did it take for another console racer to have a decent first peson cockpit view, visor tear off's that accumulate grime, blown engines billowing smoke, proper live timing and commentary from Murray Walker (who was going to record commentary for PGR's Gotham TV) amongst many other features? Bizarre Creations were coding geniuses.
You might even say that THEY were the true Code Masters.

And man, you know a developer really doesn't inspire confidence when people say things like "hopefully they didn't break anything with this latest patch".

TJP

You might even say that THEY were the true Code Masters.
Digital Foundry conducted an excellent technical interview with 2 BC devs prior to Blur shipping and what the team at Bizarre Creations did to make Blur running at 720P with 4xMSAA (on Xbox 360) with 20 cars on screen without a single framerate drop, I'd say Bizarre Creations were most definitely masters of game coding.

And man, you know a developer really doesn't inspire confidence when people say things like "hopefully they didn't break anything with this latest patch".
I'm reading a few posts on Race Department and elsewhere that frame rates have dropped between 10-15 fps when in the pits and 5fps out on track 8( Might be time to dial back both the shadows and reflections to get the frame rate back up if true.

Edit: Tried F1 2012 post patch #6 and saw no slow-downs or framerate dips.

TJP

F1 2012 – PC Patch #7 News

Today sees patch #7 available on Steam for PC versions of F1 2012.

• Added two new options for PC users to improve voice communications.
1. Added a Push To Talk option. This can be turned on in the Audio Options (My F1 -> Audio) and is bound to T by default. The key used can be edited in My F1 -> Driving Controls -> View / Customise Profile.
2. Added a Disable All Voice Comms option. This can be turned on in the Audio Options (My F1 -> Audio) and will disable all outgoing and incoming voice communication.
• Fixed an issue where the track could become wet without any rain being visible.
• Rebalanced engine wear so it will go below 99% during a season.

Yoritomo

Last F1 game I buy from Codemasters. IF it hadn't had the austin track I wouldn't have purchased it.

I'll try some of Amar's suggestions but I can't get the CSW dialed in and feeling anything like linear, direct, or fun for that matter. SLI doesn't work (horrible flickering and framerate) thereby ruining triple screen (580 sli). I'm not willing to spend another 2 hours just getting the game to feel playable with a wheel, and apparently triple screen will never happen unless you have a 1 card triple screen solution.

Weird too because 2011 had decent triple screen performance and was fun to play with a wheel.

Shaneus

That's the thing... Codemasters, somehow, are so god-fucking-damn inconsistent across the board. DIRT2 (and the first ) is literally one of the best games I can run to show off just how well CFX/multi-GPU stuff works, at least with ATI. Even Dirt 3 wasn't that bad. Yet, with Codies, F1 2011 was almost literally impossible with anything >1 ATI GPU in DX11. This year, it's not so much of an issue to get DX11 working, but the game working *at all*. FWIW, I have not driven a full race (let alone season) because of the issues "Codemasters" introduced with F1 2012.

DD

Right in my ass. I was defending the game from all the bashing here, and even with it's flaws, I was recomending it for my friends and considering it the best iteration of the F1 franchise, until the last patch f*cked my framerate entirely. It's impossible to play now. I guess I deserved that.

TJP

This just in from Codemasters....

Today sees patch #8 available on Steam for PC versions of F1 2012.

*Added an option to turn the Parc Ferme rules on or off in online Custom Race, Co-Op and LAN games. This option can be found within the Simulation Settings and defaults to on. Setting this to off will allow players to set up their cars in Qualifying sessions and will also allow players who join in progress during qualifying to edit their car setup before the race.

*Fixed an exploit in One Shot Qualifying where users could post impossibly quick lap times.

We’re continuing to investigate the issue of saves being shown as corrupt after being restored from the cloud. For now our advice would be to always choose to keep your local save if there is a mismatch.

The Error 41 issues that some users have been seeing broadly cover three issues.

*Users with insufficient memory on their graphics cards. In this case we believe that running the game in safe mode should allow the game to be booted. From there the player should be able to change their graphics settings until they find some that work for their card and they’re happy with.

To launch in Safe Mode:In the Steam library right click F1 2012.

Click Properties.
Click SET LAUNCH OPTIONS.
Type –safemode.
Click OK.

This will reduce the resolution to 800x600 and force all settings to Ultra Low or Low with MSAA off.

*Users with old graphics card drivers, in particular for on board graphics chips. Unfortunately we cannot offer any help other than to advise getting the latest drivers for your hardware. This might involve replacing the laptop manufacturer’s driver with the chipset manufacturer’s driver.

*Users with dual graphics card laptops. We can’t fix this issue directly but there should be some settings on your laptop which allow you to run the game on the specific gaming graphics card. It is also possible that you will also encounter the low memory issue above.

Shaneus

Wow, they're finally acknowledging those of us with the Error 41 issues... after what, 7 patches?

But they're only mentioning laptop users or those with low video RAM. Not a single mention of Crossfire/SLI desktop users aka power users who actually want to play a game on a non-shitty computer.

I just find it odd that all this behaviour only started happening after the first or second patch. And now they're saying that there's nothing they can do and to try those tips maybe. All they're doing is echoing what the people in the Error 41 thread are suggesting! Reeks of laziness (and incompetence) on their part.

I assume there's a thread for it? I'll go and vent my frustrations there.

DD

Right in my ass. I was defending the game from all the bashing here, and even with it's flaws, I was recomending it for my friends and considering it the best iteration of the F1 franchise, until the last patch f*cked my framerate entirely. It's impossible to play now. I guess I deserved that.

Fixed with the last patch. =)

GAF League, here I come!

We had our second league race on Sunday and this time I was able to stay connected for the entire race! Although we had to do the race with random grid order because if we tried to do Qualifying too many people would get disconnected between Quali and the Race.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_embedded&v=FTvmAGSO2JA
That's the second time it happened to us. I didn't race with you on the last sunday, but the same problem ocurred in our first race. Really odd.

DD

And another patch...

Let's see if it fix my problems...

Seriously: fuck this game; fuck Codemasters. F1 2012 was my last hope on them. I've not only wasted 50 dollars on this crap, but bought all their racing games on this generation, except for Dirt Showdown (because I never believed in that project). They're not the same, they're not the studio I used to love and consider the best one in the racing genre. So now I have to deal with it.

Funny how I was defending F1 2012 some pages ago in this thread.

DD

Is there a fix list for this? I can't see any game-related stuff at work and would be grateful if you could post it :)

F1 2012 – PC Patch #9 News

Today sees patch #9 available on Steam for PC versions of F1 2012.

Made some improvements to the online game so car positions should be more accurate and less twitchy at high speeds.
Made some PC Framerate improvements for those people who had an FPS drop after patches.
Fixed the wheel weight property so that it will now work correctly
Fixed the final results screen for the client in a Co-op session so they see their stats not the hosts.
Fixed two infrequent crashes.

The fixes listed above and those specific to the Xbox 360 and PS3 versions of the game are also being tested and verified on those platforms. As these versions require additional submission and authorisation from both Microsoft and Sony the release date for these will follow a little later than the PC version.

We are working on other issues you have reported via the forums, Facebook and Twitter and are working to fix them as quickly as possible. In the meantime, please note that we are still collecting feedback via our Technical Assistance forums and do encourage you to post your issues there being sure to include as much information as possible.

Thanks for your continued feedback!

Shaneus

Cheers for that. I wonder if it still feels like it understeers. At least they've fixed the wheel weight (although given how well their last wheel adjustment went, I'm not holding my breath).

I also love how they're basically changing the goalposts for things like leagues etc. I couldn't imagine being in one (regularly) where the handling changes every fucking week.

Orgun

Cheers for that. I wonder if it still feels like it understeers. At least they've fixed the wheel weight (although given how well their last wheel adjustment went, I'm not holding my breath).

I also love how they're basically changing the goalposts for things like leagues etc. I couldn't imagine being in one (regularly) where the handling changes every fucking week.

Eh it's fine

amar212

PS3 patch 1.02 for SCEA&SCEJ is out.

I am going to test is ASAP, especially in light of initial reports how it gorgeously messes the steering wheels. Oh, joy!

Well, consider me impressed. Somebody is crazy here. Either me, who now think how handling for 270-degree (which was problematic before) has been hugely improved (I turned down sensitivity from 330 to 270 and it feels much better than before) or everybody over at Codemasters forums who are venting about messed FFB support.

It feels so much more natural now, more degrees - close to 300 would be great - but this is huge step forward to 1:1 linearity for all wheels which can't be profiled as Fanatec and have to cope with game's default 270-degree.

On the other note, it seems to me how braking has been made even more inefficient. I have no idea is it because I am using load-cell brakes, but I have to brake drastically earlier than before which seriously impacts my laptimes.

Interesting.

TJP

F1 2012 – PC Patch #10 News

Today sees patch #10 available on Steam for PC versions of F1 2012.

Made some more minor improvements to the online. We’re keen to get feedback on these changes via our forums.

Fixed an issue which would show a session to be “In The Lobby” when players were actually racing.

Fixed an issue where the Engineer would always be one place out when talking about your position relative to your objective.

Fixed some minor text issues with emails and press clipplings.

If you have seen lower GPU usage and framerate drop on the more recent patches you can try adding the line <track_info_system run_on_cpu=”0” /> to hardware_settings_config.xml in Documents\My Games\FormulaOne20\hardwaresettings.

If this does cause unwanted side effects, please undo the change by deleting the line from the config.

DD

F1 2012 &#8211; PC Patch #10 News

Today sees patch #10 available on Steam for PC versions of F1 2012.

Made some more minor improvements to the online. We&#8217;re keen to get feedback on these changes via our forums.

Fixed an issue which would show a session to be &#8220;In The Lobby&#8221; when players were actually racing.

Fixed an issue where the Engineer would always be one place out when talking about your position relative to your objective.

Fixed some minor text issues with emails and press clipplings.

If you have seen lower GPU usage and framerate drop on the more recent patches you can try adding the line <track_info_system run_on_cpu=&#8221;0&#8221; /> to hardware_settings_config.xml in Documents\My Games\FormulaOne20\hardwaresettings.

If this does cause unwanted side effects, please undo the change by deleting the line from the config.
There is hope!

Trying now.

EDIT: IT'S ALIVE! OMG IT'S ALIVE!!! I CAN'T BELIEVE IT, IT'S ALIVE!!!

kfOUB.gif

Shaneus

What does that setting mean though? I'm curious to see what it does.

Does that make your performance better than ever before DD, or just better than the last few patches that fucked your performance?

DD

What does that setting mean though? I'm curious to see what it does.

Does that make your performance better than ever before DD, or just better than the last few patches that fucked your performance?

The 6th or 7th patch changed something that completely messed my framerates. 19 FPS on the time trial mode, no cars on the track except mine. The 9th patch gave me 4 more FPS; still awful. But now it's back to normal.

I don't know exactly what does it changes. To be honest, I didn't even tested the game with the 10th patch alone, without this modification, so I'm not sure if it's the patch that fixed my game or if it was this <track_info_system run_on_cpu=”0” />something that worked the things out. But since I had the cited framerate drop, then it's probably that.

Shaneus

Fantastic. According to this, this most recent patch has made it 10 patches within a month. Great work on releasing a title that is capable of this. Top work, Codemasters.

Can you imagine if it was GFWL and we only got the first three? Bahaha.

The 6th or 7th patch changed something that completely messed my framerates. 19 FPS on the time trial mode, no cars on the track except mine. The 9th patch gave me 4 more FPS; still awful. But now it's back to normal.

I don't know exactly what does it changes. To be honest, I didn't even tested the game with the 10th patch alone, without this modification, so I'm not sure if it's the patch that fixed my game or if it was this <track_info_system run_on_cpu=”0” />something that worked the things out. But since I had the cited framerate drop, then it's probably that.
So you're gonna race with us tomorrow, right? Nice to see your game was fixed.

Top Bottom