• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

F1 2016 |OT| Daniil Kvyat Simulator

LilJoka

Does anyone have any tips for Monaco? I'm pretty good everywhere else but I struggle so much when it comes to Monaco.

Get a setup from racedepartment forums.
Enable rewind.

Sweet. I'm starting to obliterate Expert and am about to finish my first season so I'll probably do my next one on Master with half traction control.

Same here, will try the next level up now.

legbone

Yes. I went from Renault to Mclaren, but got another offer to jump to Mercedes, Ferrari, or Williams as a number 2 driver or stay.

cool, thanks for answering. horizon has taken me away for a minute so i haven't finished my first season yet (at the last race when horizon came out). i look forward to racing with either alonso or button at mclaren (hoping they make me an offer).

Putty

Realistically, how much time do you think wheel users gain over pad users? Im not talking absolute numbers here but more of a ...percentage ..

LordAmused

Last picture from Baku!

20161007162527_121uum.jpg

Zaru

Bahrain, second season.
Somehow my Renault team is several upgrades ahead of the next best teams already.

Maybe Magnussen will stop being useless now, the guy barely managed 20 points to my 400+ even though we've been best of the rest (after the top 3) for the last third of the first season.

Fox Mulder

Bahrain, second season.
Somehow my Renault team is several upgrades ahead of the next best teams already.

Maybe Magnussen will stop being useless now, the guy barely managed 20 points to my 400+ even though we've been best of the rest (after the top 3) for the last third of the first season.

I'm thinking that #2 driver is held down in this game.

I made Renault and mclaren better, and recently jumped to Mercedes. My teammates were worthless but are better now I'm gone. Hamilton kind of sucks now too.

Apenheul

I purchased a Thrustmaster T300 and restarted my career; now I'm with Sauber on normal difficulty and I hang around 6th place during practice and got 12th place in the actual Australia. For now I'm playing the PS4 version but as soon as I have a new GPU I will switch to the PC version instead. This is the first Formula One since the last Geoff Crammand one that I have so much fun with.

Jezbollah

Hi all. Just got F1 2016 on PSN for a discount. Does anyone know of a good controller configuration that I can use? Thanks for any help!

Orbis

Career mode is awesome and has been pretty much 99% of my play time in this game. I started at Manor and managed to pull them right up to 3rd or 4th fastest team in the first season. I'm driving for McLaren in season 2, currently leading the WDC due to several Mercedes fuck ups (twice failing to set times on dry tyres in a drying qualifying session, couple of 1st lap retirements, and a Hamilton engine blow-up). Assuming normal races for the rest of the season, Hamilton could well beat me to the title. I just can't keep up with them.

My old Manor team kept their pace for about half the season but massively fell back later on. Interestingly the biggest jump in season 2 has been Toro Rosso, they are very close to Mercedes but their drivers suck something special and they have barely registered a podium.

I've actually been surprised by the testing programs, I thought they'd suck but I find them very useful in warming myself up for qualifying and the race, and most importantly learning where I'm shredding the shit out of my tyres.

Also the AI is surprisingly good, I even find myself blaming the AI for crashing into me, but when I check the replays I see it was my fault generally. Sometimes crazy shit happens though, like in Japan Kvyat had an issue and drove super slow, causing yellow flags in any sector he drove through, but none of the AI drivers would pass him causing a huge traffic jam. He then parked in on the track causing a Safety Car but was also disqualified for 'Parking in a dangerous position' or something.

Zaru

Manor is somehow comfortable 5th now in my career. They'll probably be a top team at this rate.

But I'm still slaying it on Master so I guess I'll finally get rid of the racing line assist.

Fox Mulder

I'm in season 4 and wish the contract offers were different. Theyre random and appear mid season. You sign with another team and immediately join the next race.

Manor is somehow comfortable 5th now in my career. They'll probably be a top team at this rate.

But I'm still slaying it on Master so I guess I'll finally get rid of the racing line assist.

you can't actually get manor to the top with all upgrades added due to how low their bar was to begin with.

Fox Mulder

So wait, wouldn't the grid eventually look like at the beginning of the career?

Yeah.

However, AI teams don't upgrade nearly as fast as a player. It'll takes many seasons for everyone to apply 100% upgrades.

It's also better than anything theyve ever done with r&d before.

Zaru

By the time I'm done with my second season I'll have spent close to 100 hours already, so I still wonder how many people will really reach that point in their career.

Just got done with an entirely wet race in Spain and goddamn was that a thrillride. The track is already making me afraid of hitting the throttle after every turn but in the rain you have to constantly be on the edge.

xrnzaaas

By the time I'm done with my second season I'll have spent close to 100 hours already, so I still wonder how many people will really reach that point in their career.

Just got done with an entirely wet race in Spain and goddamn was that a thrillride. The track is already making me afraid of hitting the throttle after every turn but in the rain you have to constantly be on the edge.

Depends on how much you get engaged in the season, I guess. I reckon a lot of people will set shorter races and skip practice sessions.

Zaru

Tried public multiplayer for the first time in a F1 game...

... and that was probably the last time too.

These fucking idiots everywhere, crashing left and right. I can't even drive peacefully on a straight without getting hit. And then I'm the one getting the warning/penalty.

Fox Mulder

Tried public multiplayer for the first time in a F1 game...

... and that was probably the last time too.

These fucking idiots everywhere, crashing left and right. I can't even drive peacefully on a straight without getting hit. And then I'm the one getting the warning/penalty.

Online racing fucking sucks in every racing game really. Even forza is god awful and they pollute single player with that kind of driving with those stupid drivatars.

Fox Mulder

In season 4, got my last bit of r&d as Mercedes and super OP now. Ferrari and Williams in the bottom 5 teams, behind manor and mclaren. Lol.

Neat how shuffled the teams can get even if there's a limit to r&d. Some teams just don't seen to do anything.

Zaru

Neat, there's a special enthusiastic radio message for winning every race of the season.

But I'm leaving this dominating Renault team to make Haas great again(???).
You'd think someone who won two championships in a career would get some contract offers from top teams though.

DD

Got the oportunity to sign with Force India, Toro Rosso, McLaren, or another year with Renault. I know I should have signed with Force India, but I chose Toro Rosso instead. Am I fucked for the second season? =/

Shaneus

Got the oportunity to sign with Force India, Toro Rosso, McLaren, or another year with Renault. I know I should have signed with Force India, but I chose Toro Rosso instead. Am I fucked for the second season? =/
Nah, just wait until about a few races in, the secondary Red Bull driver will get the boot and you'll be able to jump right into a top-tier team!

If the game's at all accurate, that is ;)

DD

Nah, just wait until about a few races in, the secondary Red Bull driver will get the boot and you'll be able to jump right into a top-tier team!

If the game's at all accurate, that is ;)

You mean Ricciardo? ( ͡° ͜ʖ ͡°)

kiddin

Shaneus

Speaking of older F1 games, next year will be TWENTY YEARS since the greatest, Formula 1 '97, was released.

Jesus.

Be good if Codies could acknowledge that somehow, maybe by getting TV commentary in the game, or Murray Walker.

DD

Hahahahaha. That was great. I wish they would add something like this to next years game.

It would be cool during replays, but ffs, not during the races. Sometimes I have to tell my engeneers to shut up (and it's great to have this option). It's really distracting. =x

Fox Mulder

Anyone get fired?

I jumped to Ferrari, who is a bottom 5 team now somehow despite still being a tier one team for contract offers.

Dudes gave me a warning a few races into the season.

Zaru

I imagine the player character brings like 50 million in sponsor money because Manor is always willing to boot one of their drivers for you.

legbone

does anyone happen to know of a site that shows which of the five presets is best for each track? for the life of me i cannot be consistent. if the settings on screen are 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 from left to right with 1 being the most downforce, sometimes in spain i will run better with 2, sometimes 3 and sometimes 4 with tire wear and fuel load semi-accounted for. someone please help. i tried some settings i found online that were called "magic f1 2016 settings" or something like that. they were supposed to be great for every track. well, i figured it was too good to be true and sure enough it was. i find myself running much faster in spain with one of the presets than the so-called "magic" ones. anyways, thanks in advance. also i found a youtube video that had setups (not presets but full blown tunes) for every track except malaysia (i think, i'm running off memory). i may just have to overcome my laziness and write down and then save each of those as a custom. but dammit i'm lazy and don't feel like doing it (though i could have easily done it in the time i have spent testing the presets over and over, doh!)

legbone

sorry for talking to myself here, but apparently this thread is dead, is anyone still playing? anyway, sometimes i don't understand this game and it pisses me off. i just finished in 4th at spain with 50% length. everyone in the field pitted 2 or 3 times. i stopped twice as did hamilton and vettel who were in 1st and 2nd respectively. then you have danny ric in 3rd. he stopped once. i didn't even have an option for that and if i did my hards would have been toast. hell, my front left was in the 90% range by the end of the race with a two stop strategy. how in the hell did danny ric make his last twice as many laps as mine. hell, why not just let the computer run the whole fucking race on one set and see who wins. anyway, i'm just talking to myself at this point, but if anyone reads this and can explain it to me, feel free.

DD

sorry for talking to myself here, but apparently this thread is dead, is anyone still playing? anyway, sometimes i don't understand this game and it pisses me off. i just finished in 4th at spain with 50% length. everyone in the field pitted 2 or 3 times. i stopped twice as did hamilton and vettel who were in 1st and 2nd respectively. then you have danny ric in 3rd. he stopped once. i didn't even have an option for that and if i did my hards would have been toast. hell, my front left was in the 90% range by the end of the race with a two stop strategy. how in the hell did danny ric make his last twice as many laps as mine. hell, why not just let the computer run the whole fucking race on one set and see who wins. anyway, i'm just talking to myself at this point, but if anyone reads this and can explain it to me, feel free.
I think the best strategy is making less pitstops for shorter races like with 50% distances.

Zaru

Do you drive the race like you'd drive for a purple tyre test in practice? If no, there's your problem.
I was in a similar position during my first few career races ("how are these fuckers one-stopping?"), but later on I could generally do less stops than the others and always gained an advantage with my pit strategies.

legbone

thanks guys. i'll admit that i am rough on the tires and i will work on that (my left front was the only one giving me problems, but still, i am rough). as for the number of stops, i guess i have just yet to figure out the proper way to deviate from the suggested strategy (and i don't mean their suggestions during the race since that is just usually a difference in pit window). the one time i tried it, i screwed up and ended up getting penalized for not using the required compounds (which i know i did, but maybe i didn't use a mandatory set? i don't know). i will work on it, it's just frustrating when everyone in the field but three drivers (danny ric, sergio perez, and rio haryanto) make at least two stops. sergio and rio ended up midpack but danny ric just breezed through on one.

Fox Mulder

Don't push 100% of the time, you have to conserve tires like in real life. You might also be running the wrong setup for a track. The tire wear test in practice does a great job showing you where you're fucking the tires on each track.

I still play this game. I just love the structure of a race weekend, regulations, r&d improvements, flags, strategy, pitting. Forza doesn't even touch on this stuff. Project cars did but was awful at it.

I spent an hour doing practice and quali, only to be wrecked in the first turn at Austin. It's great.

Zaru

Of course the tyre stuff is relative to the difficulty.
You'll need to push harder if you're trying to keep up with AI that challenges you, which in turns fucks your tyres. If you've got some pace to spare you can conserve easily.
So sometimes the solution isn't to drive carefully but to drive FASTER and BETTER. Unless you're at Ultimate there's room to improve.

legbone

Thanks folks. As you can see above (prior to the one about pit stops) i am also struggling to find good setups beyond the ones provided by the game. i finally found a youtube video with setups for every track except malaysia (i think). i have been using those and can now routinely run better times than the generic ones in game. but if they are leading to the tire problems then i may have to regroup. i don't think that's the problem. Oh, and I can get purple in the tire tests easily on hard. i suck on expert tire tests and usually have troubles in qualifying on expert. but then i do fine in the expert races usually. well, fine as in i can push into the top ten, but since i am at the back of the pack from the start i have to pull a verstappen every damn race. anyways, i really wish there was more freedom in planning your race strategy. it seems you can add stints but not take any away from the suggested strategies. i guess i will just need to stick to hard and win almost every race in a mclaren when i should be mid pack at this point in the car's development. that's just not fun. but neither is expert since i'm always starting at the back of the pack. i really wish there was a setting between the two but i'm not holding my breath for them to do another update like the one they did adding a difficulty level between expert and whatever the one above that is (lol, i haven't even looked at anything above expert in quite some time). anyway here's a link to that youtube video with the setups in case anyone would like to try them or critique them if you actually know what you are doing. i have never been good at setting up cars in games because i don't have the patience or time to do the proper testing, so usually i just stick with stock or go online and find setups. i remember years ago there was a forza calculator that rocked (i think it might have been made by a gaf user, but i could be wrong). anyway, here's the link and i'm off to monaco (may have to bump that one down to the setting lower than hard since i always seem to come in last place at that track due to strategy provided by my team, and if i try and deviate i get dinged for not using the mandatory tires even though i know for a fact that i used both of the required compounds).

settings for each track except malaysia (i think, and i don't know who made these)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6EOj8wL4UsY

and here's the supposed "magic setup" that is supposed to work for every track. and of course that's too good to be true and i can set better times with the youtube settings by several seconds.

https://pretendracecars.net/2016/08/21/your-magic-setup-for-f1-2016-is-here/

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Anyone thats interested in getting the game on XB1 I just noticed it has a free trial on the store, no idea how long its for but going to give it a go.

legbone

if anyone from codemasters is out there, here's one thing i would love in an update:

i want to be able to fool with the menus where you change mix (this one's easy right now but can't remember the name of the menu) while paused or doing a rewind. i have so much trouble changing to the tires i want when i'm ignoring the suggested strategy. i know voice commands can be used but a kitten chewed through my mic cord.

Top Bottom