• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face-Off: Just Cause 3 - Digital Foundry

omonimo

Banned
They actually removed alpha fog in the ps4 version in the swamp and elsewhere. A GAFer found it.
There is the fog in the swamp in some spot from what I remember...It just happens casually like any other weather effect from my personal experience.

If unlocking the 7th core didn't do much for the Xbox One. I highly doubt it's gonna do that much for the PS4 either imo.

Hmmm i guess you're right. I think some expected that most games would be 1080p on Xbox One after that, but that certainly isn;t the case. less 720p and more 900p games though, but that's also due to the Kinect thing, right?

MisterR

Easy, relax. Breath slowly. I said "AFAIR" - also keep in mind that the performance of Witcher 3 changed a lot on both platforms with the patches so in general this talk will never end until CDP don't release any patches anymore and say they optimized both to a degree where they can't squeeze out more. This has nothing to do with tinfoil in any way.

And another one... Guys, what's up with you? Relax for a second. Fact is that Witcher's performance varied greatly patch after patch, on both consoles. One patch made the PS4 worse, another one the XBO version worse. If people want to take this game as an example that the CPU on PS4 is superior than this is just wrong.

Nobody is arguing this. Just calling out the bullshit that constantly comes out about the XOne CPU.

Sounds like they made the right choice if that's true.

There is the fog in the swamp in some spot from what I remember...It just happens casually like any other weather effect from my personal experience.

Can you please link me to the post. I was playing the bloodybaren mission yesterday and there was tons of fog

This post should detail it

Yeah, it was definitely noticeable when playing the 2 patches back to back, otherwise I probably wouldn't have noticed. No problem.

c0de

Made it worse? How?

DF said:
The only real surprise is in how Novigrad City performs with patch 1.10 installed on Xbox One. Much like PS4, there's a downgrade as we follow the same path through the city streets - but in Xbox One's case it's a more stark difference. The drop from patch 1.08 is noticeable; going from a locked 30fps with occasional stutters to sustained performance at 24-26fps

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/d...-110-gives-ps4-the-boost-its-been-waiting-for

Interesting to see how many people are offended by this. Also, for the whatever'th time: this is not what the thread is about and I said AFAIR.

They toned down the fog in size but they did not remove it.

Uh but there is some fog. Maybe they have decreased it?
"removed" was the wrong word and overly strong connotated.
I mean, I did not run around the scene to perfectly examine the exact technical difference. BUt they did "tone it down" as the poster says and as dr_rus concludes. Less alpha = higher frame rate probably in scenes like that.

omonimo

Banned
"removed" was the wrong word and overly strong connotated.
I mean, I did not run around the scene to perfectly examine the exact technical difference. BUt they did "tone it down" as the poster says and as dr_rus concludes. Less alpha = higher frame rate probably in scenes like that.
It seems more transparent but similar. Maybe lower res? Or what?

Digital Foundry's full Just Cause 3 Face-Off just went up.

New things they've said (and added into the OP):

• Just Cause 3 PC 'Very High' vs PS4 Graphics Comparison
  • Differences between consoles and PC's high/ultra high.
  • New screenshot comparisons showcasing how the graphics hold on each platform.
  • More information on how the consoles hold up against each other and their AA method, AF method, LOD settings, shadow quality, post-processing effects etc.

Here is what they found out:
  • Blur, depth of field, ambient occlusion lighting, and the use of global illumination are identical across all three formats including draw distances and high shadows matching PC's high settings.
  • PC's ultra means shadows appear sharper and more defined and LOD transitions occur a little more quickly, resulting in a few elements of scenery using higher quality assets from further away than on console and with higher AF implementation.
  • PC also gets a mild heat haze effect deployed near the horizon, which slightly blurs and distorts objects within its radius - a form of atmospheric rendering which is subtle, but very effective.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
Dude you've been on point with these DF threads. :D

Ha, thanks! :)

I enjoy doing them and try to be as thorough and up to date as I can
and OCD as I can :p All my DF threads have to share the same, universal layout i.e. the banner DF uses, then the videos, then the article report, then the TL:DR, then the screenshot comparisons, then my personal thoughts :)

I'm glad people like it that way; it makes me want to do more of them :D

omonimo

Banned
The big problem still are the fps problem. Especially advancing more in the game. Really unbearable in some spot.
Isn't it LOD too much high for console? Generally the difference are more dramatic. Maybe it's the reason of the bad performance.

The big problem still are the fps problem. Especially advancing more in the game. Really unbearable in some spot.
Isn't it LOD too much high for console? Generally the difference are more dramatic. Maybe it's the reason of the bad performance.

DF said it's somewhere around the 'low' preset:

LOD factor is a curious one, often aligning closely with PC's low setting, while shadows closely resemble those running on high on the PC game.
Draw distances are impressive across all three platforms, and it's a surprise to see PS4 and Xbox One rendering out tiny trees and pylons at the same distances as the PC game. Granted, some objects are rendering with lower quality LODs, but all the main elements are present on screen...

Mahonay

Banned
People who are playing the console versions and saying "it runs fine" and "I'm not sensitive to changes in frame rate", I truly envy you. I'll be holding off on picking this up on for my PS4 in hopes there will be some kind of performance patch.

Mahonay

Banned

• Blur, depth of field, ambient occlusion lighting, and the use of global illumination are identical across all three formats including draw distances and high shadows matching PC's high settings.
  • PC's ultra means shadows appear sharper and more defined and LOD transitions occur a little more quickly, resulting in a few elements of scenery using higher quality assets from further away than on console and with higher AF implementation.
  • PC also gets a mild heat haze effect deployed near the horizon, which slightly blurs and distorts objects within its radius - a form of atmospheric rendering which is subtle, but very effective.
Really nice work keeping your OP as up to date as humanely possible.

Just bumping so people know that the Face-Off was up with a few new additions. Thanks m0dus for changing the title!

• Just Cause 3 PC 'Very High' vs PS4 Graphics Comparison
  • Differences between consoles and PC's high/ultra high.
  • New screenshot comparisons showcasing how the graphics hold on each platform.
  • More information on how the consoles hold up against each other and their AA method, AF method, LOD settings, shadow quality, post-processing effects etc.

Vex_

Banned
Just bumping so people know that the Face-Off was up with a few new additions. Thanks m0dus for changing the title!

Wait, in that youtube comparison I noticed the PS4 version is missing Global illumination? Another guy in the youtube comments also noticed it.

Does the Xbox version have Global illumination?

PC version is quite blurry in the comparison pics.

sQBb.jpg

As if the PC version is running at 900p. Look at the fences.

Before you say heat haze, distance
uQBb.jpg

Every PC shot is like this.

mintylurb

"On top of that, the developer really needs to address the loading time issues. Here we found another PS4 advantage - anything up to a minute faster than the Xbox One version"

I feel bad for those who switched his/her pre-orders from ps4 to x1 based on that one article about the ps4 version's loading time.

Malcolm9

"On top of that, the developer really needs to address the loading time issues. Here we found another PS4 advantage - anything up to a minute faster than the Xbox One version"

I feel bad for those who switched his/her pre-orders from ps4 to x1 based on that one article about the ps4 version's loading time.

I don't, it was a complete knee jerk reaction and they should have waited.

SapientWolf

Trucker Sexologist
People who are playing the console versions and saying "it runs fine" and "I'm not sensitive to changes in frame rate", I truly envy you. I'll be holding off on picking this up on for my PS4 in hopes there will be some kind of performance patch.
I think the game just slows down instead of dropping frames. So things get really cinematic at this point in the vid.

Top Bottom