• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face-Off: Just Cause 3 - Digital Foundry

Nere

Isn't it a consistent colour all around though? All I do is use the highlight thing I've seen some posters use to make points stand out by using the standard text thing on GAF: [hightlight][/hightlight]

Sorry if it bothers you, I mean I could remove it if you want, but we'll see if others are seeing the same problem. First time I hear of it tbh; maybe it's the monitor?

Well I don't know never had any problem with the monitor. It's okey I just highlight the text so it changes colour so I can read it:D

shandy706

Not as bad as Nxgamer says..

"Blowing up a bridge with C4 explosives causes a mid-20s dip on both machines as the structure crumbles into its component parts. Bearing in mind that not a huge amount is happening from a visual perspective otherwise, it does suggest that the Jaguar CPU architecture of both consoles is being pushed to its limit. "

Sounds really bad on both consoles to me. Being slightly better doesn't discount the bad impressions.

ISee

Who knows, but the game itself must be patched. This is way worse than launch Bloodborne load times even at their absolute worst, and the FPS issues aren't acceptable to this degree.

Well i can say it is badly optimized with those loading times, frame pacing issues and the like.

But its also a fact that the CPU's in the consoles are lower than i3's which are lower end intel CPU's.

Its up to the dev to work around that and provide acceptable performance before the game launches for every SKU. A majority of games that have had FPS or load time issues this gen have been largely fixed, but only after weeks or months of updates. I'm tired of this lazy attitude of launch now, patch later.

It is and I also think that, with enough time and work, performance should be improvable here. But bad loading times are a bit microsoft's/sony's fault too. Having slow HDDs and only Sata3 doesn't help for sure.
Overall at least the PS4 version seems to be playable. Xbox One is... well there is even more room left to improve.

On topic though, it is incredibly disappointing (and odd!) considering how well optimised Just Cause 2 was for consoles regarding how amazing it looked (and still does, particularly the sea + lighting) and how stable the performance was (from what I can remember so rose tinted glasses etc).

I really hope they patch it up; it's even more puzzling considering it went gold like a month and a bit ago so there shouldn't have been any reason for this in that they had time to patch it, or it shouldn't have gone gold until they fixed it (for which again they had time to). I know it's first time on new hardware and all, but damn has the engine not held up well. Perhaps it was too well optimised for last gen (or it may be an entirely new engine for all I know)!

Or just tone down the 'splosions a little lol.

Completely different engine. JC3 is doing things that simply weren't possible in JC2.

Isn't it a consistent colour all around though? All I do is use the highlight thing I've seen some posters use to make points stand out by using the standard text thing on GAF: [hightlight][/hightlight]

Sorry if it bothers you, I mean I could remove it if you want, but we'll see if others are seeing the same problem. First time I hear of it tbh; maybe it's the monitor?

Looks fine on both my monitors, plus neogaf is only available in this wonderful theme (dark). Truthers may say there is a "light" theme, but they also drink IPAs.

UnrealEck

Give me max settings at 1440p and 144 FPS please. Oh and I'll take some Gsync with that too.
There's no framerate limit, right?

bombshell

So one more open world game to add to the pile of open world games with better framerate on PS4 when running a higher resolution at the same time, even though some people still insist that the opposite is the trend.

Tagyhag

So this is also with the one-day patch enabled as well?

Avalanche did say they're looking into the memory leak so maybe the frequent drops weren't intended to be as frequent?

I'm hoping stuff like this gets patched, I can understand sticking to 30fps and having some dips but frequent drops, especially when you do exactly what you're supposed to in the game? It doesn't look right.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Fixed?

An Intel Core i7 is not walking through that door.

What door? You don't need an i7 to run this game or even an i3

I'm saying the issues on console that are causing these FPS drops need to be improved. Every other game that has been claimed to have "CPU bottlenecks" on console have since been improved via patch. But my question is why they have to launch before the games are fully complete to begin with

HoodWinked

"Blowing up a bridge with C4 explosives causes a mid-20s dip on both machines as the structure crumbles into its component parts. Bearing in mind that not a huge amount is happening from a visual perspective otherwise, it does suggest that the Jaguar CPU architecture of both consoles is being pushed to its limit. "

Sounds really bad on both consoles to me. Being slightly better doesn't discount the bad impressions.

its actually pretty impressive whats actually happening behind the scenes, other games typically just do a mesh swap but JC3 the destructibility is all procedurally calculated.

https://youtu.be/GUEwOGo3BFI?t=1m24s

problem is that theres lots of games where shit explodes and looks cool but its some canned set piece or very limited but none of that matters cause while one is much more impressive in terms of how its being done, visually most people wont even know there was much of a difference.

After watching the performance analysis video on DF, it seems the ps4 has a very significant advantage in fps. People reporting that the game ran worse than Fallout 4 are clearly wrong - at least in regards to the ps4 version.
As someone who is not hypersensitive to frame rate issues I still find the performance disappointing on both versions. However I think I can just about live with the drops on ps4 whereas the drops on the xone version are a bit too much even for someone like me who is
more tolerant (when it comes to the technical aspects of a game) than the average gaffer.

ironcreed

Banned
Dips like that are consistent with all of the footage I have watched and is a non-issue for me. It's kind of expected in a world so insanely big and with so many impressive effects. I'm good.

Having played both versions, they're both equally atrocious in regards to performance and load times.

I had initially thought the Xbox One version to run at a more stable framerate until a certain instance involving a train caused the game to drop to what felt like single digits.

Both console versions are busted up.

But you said this in the JC3 early impressions thread:
Originally Posted by JigglesBunny

Played both the PS4 and Xbox One versions, XBone has a much more solid framerate but looks slightly muddy and aliased, but PS4 is a lot clearer IQ wise, but drops frames like it's going out of style.

Now face with the evidence you say they are both equally bad. I think we can all safely take DF's analysis over yours..

kyser73

Fukkit, I lived with the frame rate tanking in Mercenaries, I'll live with it here.

I wanna blow some bridges up.

MisterR

Having played both versions, they're both equally atrocious in regards to performance and load times.

I had initially thought the Xbox One version to run at a more stable framerate until a certain instance involving a train caused the game to drop to what felt like single digits.

Both console versions are busted up.

Don't think anybody's gonna take your word for it at this point. We have DF now.

MMaRsu

Banned
Fair enough, it's mostly ironcreed, and I should know better at this point. But the "it's fine" brigade based on little to no information (not only exclusive to Xbox or PS4, that's not the point) is always strong until actual, factual information comes out.

From what Ive personally seen on ps4 is drops worsd than 24 fps. I put a lot of faith in DF but I know what Ive seen and it cannot be unseen.

I only had Slasherjpc's stream to compare my copy to at the time and yes that looked to be running smooth

MMaRsu

Banned
After watching the performance analysis video on DF, it seems the ps4 has a very significant advantage in fps. People reporting that the game ran worse than Fallout 4 are clearly wrong - at least in regards to the ps4 version.
As someone who is not hypersensitive to frame rate issues I still find the performance disappointing on both versions. However I think I can just about live with the drops on ps4 whereas the drops on the xone version are a bit too much even for someone like me who is
more tolerant (when it comes to the technical aspects of a game) than the average gaffer.

Nope As Ive said in 70 hrs of Fo4 I havent come across such horrible fps than this when there is a lot of action

MMaRsu

Banned
Looking at the actual video there isnt even a lot of shit going on :/. He is just standing in the road shooting at some cars, and plays a bit of the intro.

Go to a military base when its raining and start wrecking shit. Make sure theres 1 or two helis after you.

Framedrop central

thelastword

Banned
To be fair, I would wait until their Faceoff comes out that's more in depth. It's very possible things get worse later on in the game.
Have you not been following DF, do you expect another framerate analysis later in the game or an extended frame analysis. This one is usually what you will get in the final faceoff, unless another patch comes by then.

Does this game already use the 7.CPU core from the PS4?
No, that's only available to first parties atm.

Thoughts:

Looking at this analysis the PS4 version holds a significant lead over the XB1, In one of the firefights the PS4 held 30 whilst the XB1 was in the low 20's constantly, lowest I saw in that scene was 21 for the XB1.

Lod seems pretty good on both compared to other openworld games which cut lod detail a bunch on consoles. I still think improvements can be made to framerate on the consoles, but it holds 30fps pretty steadily at times on the Sony Console. The PS4 version looks much more steady than Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 going by this analysis, with a lot more happening on screen too, so I can commend the devs for not giving console gamers any lower than lows and botching lod and textures like in WItcher 3.

According to preliminary reports, settings appear to be mostly high or at the best settings, so that's pretty good, we all know that the XB1 can't quite hold up to the PS4 in performance, even at 1080 vs 900p, so I really don't know what all the "XB1 version is smoother reports were about". After watching the PSA video earlier, I was pretty impressed with the quality of explosions and physics, explosions seem to be high rez/quality on consoles so I'm pretty impressed that they didn't butcher presets. AF also seems to be half decent going by the compressed video as well.

It's also really strange that a scene that calls heavy physics into play somehow performs better on the PS4.....I mean DF have always been on and on about the XB1 CPU giving that version the lead in many games (ACU, FC4, GTA5...and the list goes on), but always proven wrong. If any game should be a poster child for a better CPU, it would be this game, yet, the XB1 version is behind the PS4 in every heavy physics scene,....so much about that CPU then...... and to be fair, this game does not even have access to the seventh core on the PS4 and they are not using GPGPU compute either, the latter, which is much superior on the PS4 as well. So that puts all that CPU talk into perspective, if all the patches that made (supposedly CPU bound games) run better or more consistently on PS4 was not clue enough for you......

Another thing I noticed in the video, when DF mentioned that the XB1 version struggled in the forested area was due to streaming issues, I realize that this same thing happened to the XB1 version of FC4, the game fell into the teens on XB1 as you went through grassy or high foliage areas. That was not highlighted in DF's FC4 frametest video but in that of another tech site (which I will not name as requested by the OP), perhaps DF was too busy showing that explosion on that bridge where the PS4 version fell lower in that non-like-for-like scene.......

So yes, it's yet another game where rendering foliage which can be quite impactful on the GPU, is seen as being being handled much better on the PS4 (FC4, GTA5, JC3), but somehow the grass in RER2 required a lower end GPU........;)

I still believe that there are aspects in which avalanche can improve this engine, loadtimes is one, any potential memory leaks is another, that may even sort out some of their framerate issues. All in all, it's not perfect, but it's far from the some of the botch jobs that I've seen this gen in terms of low presets and non native rez with even worse framerates and problems. The amount of high quality alpha, explosions and physics based destructibility is really impressive. If Avalanche patches this to be a more stable 30fps (considering all of this) with reduced loadtimes, I think they would establish a good step ahead of most of the lackluster open world efforts we've seen on consoles. Hope they patch it up....... and some TAA would not be too bad if they can muster it...

Durden77

So it's playable just fine on the PS4, as I thought. Sweet. Far cry from the "unplayable HAWRSE SHYIAT" being spout. Would hope they do patch it a bit though, especially for the poor Xbone.

Fukkit, I lived with the frame rate tanking in Mercenaries, I'll live with it here.

I wanna blow some bridges up.

Also this.

gamerMan

I don't know what to believe anymore. DF's Fallout 4 article made it seem as if the XBO version was significantly worse than the PS4 version but they both ended up being terrible.

I swear every time these articles come out it's like a battle to see which platform is worse when both of them are pretty terrible. This generation is such a disappointment in terms of performance. It looks like both systems can't handle the explosions.

Better AF on PS4?
fFvw7tX.png

Obviously there's some slight blurring from 900p vs 1080p but I feel it's quite noticeable on the surface of that rock + that block.

VGA222

Banned
No, that's only available to first parties atm.

The only reason we know about the seventh core being available is due to it being mentioned in a change log of fmod which is an audio middleware, so it is obviously not only available to first parties atm. Why do you think that it's only available to first party devs?

thelastword

Banned
Better AF on PS4?
fFvw7tX.png

Obviously there's some slight blurring from 900p vs 1080p but I feel it's quite noticeable on the surface of that rock + that block.
Could be that textures are better on PS4 too.

More than AF though, the image is much blurrier on the XB1, especially in the distance. So it's a combo of lower AF, lower resolution and (perhaps lower quality textures). Need to see more pics.

Looking at some of these pics.....I just can't understand how DF says this.....

DF said:
In motion, the resolution differential isn't that much of a problem. Motion blur is accomplished on both systems, covering up many of upscaling issues on Xbox One. It's mostly just close-range geometric edges that show more pixel-popping on Xbox One.

Digital Foundry said:
both[PS4/XB1] look equivalent to the high setting on the PC game.

What we can say right now with a fair amount of confidence is that the GTX 950 paired with a Haswell Core i3 processor can easily run Just Cause 3 at 1080p maxed with SMAA anti-aliasing and 8x anisotropic filtering and stay well north of 30fps. Our 'go to' card for budget PC gaming - the GTX 750 Ti - does struggle though, dipping to a minimum 23fps even with shadow quality pared back to the high setting (though overclocking can help)

Seems some are missing these key details when comparing the 750ti to the PS4. The 750ti is running maxed with only shadow quality pared back to high. Maybe we will see actual comparable console settings in the face off.

mintylurb

Better AF on PS4?
fFvw7tX.png

I'm sure grandmaster or someone from DF will mention that in their face-off article as they have a knack for spotting AF discrepancies.

omonimo

Banned
I don't get it. Xbone has a little advantage in the CPU but runs worse of ps4. How could be a CPU limits the fps hiccups? Not has many sense to me. I suspect it's not exactly optimized at the best but I could wrong.

Xbox One looks rather rough, but PS4 doesn't seem bad at all. Sure, it's not perfect, but it's perfectly playable. I got this on PC though.

RoadHazard

Gold Member
Well, ok. If they can manage to patch the PS4 version to a mostly solid 30, with NO drops below 25, I might be in.

c0de

This has been proven wrong since the beginning, I think it happened with Witcher and Unity then both games got patched and run better on PS4.

AFAIR Witcher 3 runs now better because they made the XBO version worse. That's hardly an achievement.

Top Bottom