• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Face-Off: Just Cause 3 - Digital Foundry

Behlel

I don't get it. Xbone has a little advantage in the CPU but runs worse of ps4. How could be a CPU limits the fps hiccups? Not has many sense to me. I suspect it's not exactly optimized at the best but I could wrong.
Maybe on ps4 they're using the GPGPU to offload the cpu from some task, the weaker gpu of x1 maybe couldn't be used as much for this.

c0de

I don't get it. Xbone has a little advantage in the CPU but runs worse of ps4. How could be a CPU limits the fps hiccups? Not has many sense to me. I suspect it's not exactly optimized at the best but I could wrong.

The problem is that many discussions try to concentrate on one thing, in this case the CPU. Consoles or computers in general are complex systems which consist of many parts which rely on each other. So even if the CPU would be more powerful, that doesn't mean it will always have better fps.

AgentP

Thinks mods influence posters politics. Promoted to QAnon Editor.
AFAIR Witcher 3 runs now better because they made the XBO version worse. That's hardly an achievement.

WTF? They Improved the PS4 version period, it's not at the expense of anything else. Put your tinfoil hat away.

Conduit

Banned
AFAIR Witcher 3 runs now better because they made the XBO version worse. That's hardly an achievement.

How about if they ONLY patch Xbone version again and return performance to previous state how it was, would Xbone version be on par with PS4 version then? Especially in that swamp area. You should compare swamp area with latest patch on PS4 vs. prepatched Xbone version and which version performs better.

Protome

Pretty much matches my ps4 experience. Struggles to hit 30 with anything going on, dips to low 20s with lots going on (bombing a base with a jet cripples it.)

Javin98

Banned
I swear every time these articles come out it's like a battle to see which platform is worse when both of them are pretty terrible. This generation is such a disappointment in terms of performance. It looks like both systems can't handle the explosions.
Say what? How was last gen for you then? Huge disappointment?I honestly don't get it when some posters bring up that statement. Many of them seem to forget that last gen games performed much worse on average, especially open world games.

Anyway, this doesn't seem too bad. It's definitely below par and could improve, but some people on GAF made it sound like it was a total mess. Perhaps DF wasn't testing in the most demanding areas and conditions. Well, I'll hold my judgement until the full face off.

c0de

WTF? They Improved the PS4 version period, it's not at the expense of anything else. Put your tinfoil hat away.

Easy, relax. Breath slowly. I said "AFAIR" - also keep in mind that the performance of Witcher 3 changed a lot on both platforms with the patches so in general this talk will never end until CDP don't release any patches anymore and say they optimized both to a degree where they can't squeeze out more. This has nothing to do with tinfoil in any way.

How about if they ONLY patch Xbone version again and return performance to previous state how it was, would Xbone version be on par with PS4 version then? Especially in that swamp area. You should compare swamp area with latest patch on PS4 vs. prepatched Xbone version and which version performs better.

And another one... Guys, what's up with you? Relax for a second. Fact is that Witcher's performance varied greatly patch after patch, on both consoles. One patch made the PS4 worse, another one the XBO version worse. If people want to take this game as an example that the CPU on PS4 is superior than this is just wrong.

camac002

Looks like this would be an ideal console open world engine for the other 97% of games that don't need to deal with loads of explosions. For people who have this and Witcher 3, how does foliage handling compare between the two? Because the distant land and trees look better here at first glance.

"Blowing up a bridge with C4 explosives causes a mid-20s dip on both machines as the structure crumbles into its component parts. Bearing in mind that not a huge amount is happening from a visual perspective otherwise, it does suggest that the Jaguar CPU architecture of both consoles is being pushed to its limit. "

Sounds really bad on both consoles to me. Being slightly better doesn't discount the bad impressions.

In order to enhance cinematic moments, the frame rate drops to match an actual cinema.

Protome

Looks like this would be an ideal console open world engine for the other 97% of games that don't need to deal with loads of explosions. For people who have this and Witcher 3, how does foliage handling compare between the two? Because the distant land and trees look better here at first glance.
JC3 looks much better at a distance IMO.

barit

People really should say goodbye to the idea that there is any AAA game out there that performs better on Xbone than on PS4. i don't understand why anyone would think that anyway? Because of the minimal overclocked CPU some games running now super smooth on Xbone compared to PS4? Please. I don't think there is currently any game that runs better on Xbone than on PS4 and games like AC:Unity where the majority thought the framerates are better on Xbone was a false assertion too (at least for the latest patches). This goes out to all the people who constantly say "I will switch to Xbone version because no mention of PS4 version in the first look so it must be worse"

Watching the DF video, the PS4 version didn't seem so bad. At least not as bad as how people were describing it. From some people's descriptions, you'd think the PS4 was dropping into the 'teens most of the time.

derwalde

People really should say goodbye to the idea that there is any AAA game out there that performs better on Xbone than on PS4. i don't understand why anyone would think that anyway? Because of the minimal overclocked CPU some games running now super smooth on Xbone compared to PS4? Please. I don't think there is currently any game that runs better on Xbone than on PS4 and games like AC:Unity where the majority thought the framerates are better on Xbone was a false assertion too (at least for the latest patches). This goes out to all the people who constantly say "I will switch to Xbone version because no mention of PS4 version in the first look so it must be worse"

It's called buyers remorse.

anothertech

Another case of higher res and better performance on PS4. Safe to say Xbone dgpu isn't being utilized this gen. /s

Another win for Sony (and pc gamers)

omonimo

Banned
The problem is that many discussions try to concentrate on one thing, in this case the CPU. Consoles or computers in general are complex systems which consist of many parts which rely on each other. So even if the CPU would be more powerful, that doesn't mean it will always have better fps.
You don't understand what I mean. DF said fps hiccups happen because CPU it's pushed to the limits. How could be the case when ps4 runs notable better of the xbone? If CPU it's more stressed xbone should gain some minimum advantage. That's very contradictory from them after seen Unity face off.

danowat

Banned
Cool, thanks! With or without FPS counter? Still on the fence about grabbing this one for ps4.

I'd say, if you're on the fence about framerate issues, I would probably jump off the fence, however, if you are on the fence about loading times, I'd stay there.

The loading times are teeth grindingly bad, and are (at the moment) my single biggest issue with the game.

Madness

Bearing in mind that not a huge amount is happening from a visual perspective otherwise, it does suggest that the Jaguar CPU architecture of both consoles is being pushed to its limit. 

I feel like serving crow to one guy who called me out in the NX Gamer thread for saying you don't know it could be a CPU processor issue. I mean this is now Digital Foundry also saying that the weak CPU is really struggling with this game. Which is just a shame, especially only 2 years into the gen.

viHuGi

Banned
Pretty much matches my ps4 experience. Struggles to hit 30 with anything going on, dips to low 20s with lots going on (bombing a base with a jet cripples it.)

They are achieving 30 fps most of the time on that video, just chaos parts get crazy.

It's called buyers remorse.

I thought it ended up being proven that fallout 3 looked and ran better on XBOX. I could be completely wrong tho. I just remember seeing some draw distance screenshots and some issues at the top of corvega factory on ps4? Could be wrong tho. (probably am wrong lol) :)

Madness

Irony of telling someone to put their tinfoil hat away after just saying a page or two back that AC: Unity being bad was because of their marketing/exclusivity deal and not the reality that Ubisoft did a poor job with their release. I mean even Syndicate is nothing to write home about despite how much extra care and criticism they took for Unity.

MMaRsu

Banned
Exactly and in some towns that you are freeing the fps will drop to low 20's as well. The test video is bad, since theres nothing being stress tested at all.

c0de

You don't understand what I mean. DF said fps hiccups happen because CPU it's pushed to the limits. How could be the case when ps4 runs notable better of the xbone? If CPU it's more stressed xbone should gain some minimum advantage. That's very contradictory from them after seen Unity face off.

Sure but that's also only their guess. Especially they also talk about memory bandwidth.

omonimo

Banned
Quite false. The xbone runs worse in the city because popin has boosted not because the patch ruined it. You can check with your eyes.

ethomaz

Banned
Xbone with another game with stream issue.
In theory HDD has the same speeds in the consoles... what is making the Xbone have stream issue and PS4 not?

omonimo

Banned
I feel like serving crow to one guy who called me out in the NX Gamer thread for saying you don't know it could be a CPU processor issue. I mean this is now Digital Foundry also saying that the weak CPU is really struggling with this game. Which is just a shame, especially only 2 years into the gen.
I'm not conviced it's all CPU limit. Again Unity runs better on xbone even after all the patches. But now xbone runs notably worse. Not has sense if the CPU is faster, blame the processor.

Saty

From EG's review (on XB1):
It's the frame rate that truly strikes at the heart of Just Cause 3 though. This is a game built around massive, explosive anarchy, yet (on console) the game engine slows to a crawl whenever that actually happens. Not just occasionally, but constantly. Even during quieter moments, it's an unpredictable thing. The fact that the game's raison d'etre makes it feel like you're playing in treacle is a real enthusiasm killer, especially when that sluggishness results in your death and another elongated loading delay.

c0de

Xbone with another game with stream issue.
In theory HDD has the same speeds in the consoles... what is making the Xbone have stream issue and PS4 not?

Streaming issues are not necessarily a problem of the HDD. Again, the article explicitely talks about memory bandwidth issues.

c0de

Quite false. The xbone runs worse in the city because popin has boosted not because the patch ruined it. You can check with your eyes.

Like you can with my reply if you would've read the article which this thread is about. Again, "AFAIR".

omonimo

Banned
Like you can with my reply if you would've read the article which this thread is about. Again, "AFAIR".
I have the witcher3 by the way and in the city pop in is notably improved, on ps4 at least. Xbone hasn't getting any worse treatment. Probably they could downgrade it on xbone but I doubt they have screwed the code because it runs worse in cities. To be fair even on ps4 it struggle more compared the previous in some area.
I'm not sure what like you in your expression is referring for.

I don't understand frame pacing. Just tell me it's not like that stuttering when moving the camera in Witcher 3 when it released?

At the end of the day neither version is exactly smooth and sticking to 30fps, which is pretty damn sad, let's be honest.

Then apparently there's also a memory leak issue on Xbox One and god knows what else. I am starting to wonder wtf is going on with some developers these days. A day one patch is already a given nowadays, JC3 got delayed a few times if i am right on that and i just wonder why they just can't get it right.

But i guess you can call it a 'win' for PS4, and i do wonder how much improvement we're going to see in future third party games, now that they unlocked its 7th core right?

cleansock

Banned
Going to go PC on this one.

These consoles man, I'm already ready for next gen lol
Unless next gen includes upgradable gpu/cpu's, it will be the same shit, different toilet. From the looks of it the consumers spoke with their wallets saying they're fine with framerates going from 2-60fps. Just make sure to slather on bells and whistles.

c0de

I have the witcher3 by the way and in the city pop in is notably improved, on ps4 at least. Xbone hasn't getting any worse treatment. Probably they could downgrade it on xbone but I doubt they have screwed the code because it runs worse in cities. To be fair even on ps4 it struggle more compared the previous in some area.
I'm not sure what like you in your expression is referring for.

I was referring to the thread. Everything else to the Witcher 3 is already said in this thread so get back to the topic of this thread and read how the article doesn't mention only CPU but also potential memory issues.

Unless next gen includes upgradable gpu/cpu's, it will be the same shit, different toilet. From the looks of it the consumers spoke with their wallets saying they're fine with framerates going from 2-60fps. Just make sure to slather on bells and whistles.
Most likely, the problem is devs wait until the end of development to focus on framerate when that should be a focus the entire time. cut back on the graphics if you have to but get that shit running smooth. I'd rather a smooth experience than a very beautiful one that runs like shit.

but it's also sad to see these console cpu's are already being pushed to their limit 2 years into the gen and already struggling.

Redlight

I've just spent about 3 or 4 hours playing this (on Xbox One (on a 1080p projector at 100" plus) and I have to say I'm shocked.

Reading all the threads about the horrible performance had left me with the impression that this game is a mess.

However, I've loved every destruction-soaked second of it.

The truth is that, if I hadn't read these threads, I wouldn't have noticed the 'issues'.

Unless you're super-sensitive to frame rates (and you have my sympathies if you are) then I'd recommend this highly. It's probably as good, or better, than most of the games I've played in terms of overall performance/fun.

For anyone looking for a big, stupid good time? Get on board. Especially if you loved JC2.

They actually removed alpha fog in the ps4 version in the swamp and elsewhere. A GAFer found it.

Top Bottom