• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shiggy

President Tayyip Erdogan said on Thursday a cut in Turkey's foreign currency credit rating by Standard & Poor's after a failed military coup had been a political decision and showed the rating agency had "sided with the coup, not with democracy".

Erdogan told Reuters in an interview in his palace in Ankara that if fellow rating agency Moody's followed suit, it would not be an objective decision. He said there was no liquidity problem in Turkey's strong financial sector.

http://reut.rs/2ag9WkC

In before Erdogan supporters burning down S&P offices.

RCSI

My friend had a plan to go to Turkey through Fullbright to teach English in September. Now, given the recent actions and comments by Erdogan, I hope Fullbright finds another location.

oti

Banned
Anti-Erdogan demonstration in Hamburg, Germany. 800 people.

21:55 Uhr
Hamburg: Erdogan-Gegner demonstrieren
Am Samstag sind rund 800 Menschen gegen die türkische Regierung von Präsident Recep Tayyip Erdogan auf die Straße gegangen. Mit Forderungen wie: "Weder Putsch noch Ein-Mann-Diktatur" wollten die Teilnehmer nach dem gescheiterten Militärputschversuch gegen eine "AKP-Diktatur" demonstrieren. Das "Bündnis für Frieden und Demokratie" hatte zur Kundgebunge aufgerufen. Es wirft Erdogan und der Regierungspartei AKP vor, den gescheiterten Putschversuch zu nutzen, "um die Opposition auszuschalten". Laut Polizei verliefen die Demonstrationen in Hamburg friedlich.

heute.de

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
Europeans didn't fully dominate the region in post-Islamic conquest times until after WW1, and hadn't made significant strides that far before then, yet the Middle East wasn't exactly the most developed or the most stable part of the world by that point anyway.

You can thank the Mongols and the teachings of AL-Ghazali for that. The former wiped out the great cities of knowledge and wealth of the Arab/Islamic Golden Age, and the latter pivoted the main focus of the Muslim world from one dedicated to both the spiritual and worldly knowledges, to one strictly completely tunnel visioned on the spiritual.

Deku Tree

I have a good friend who lives in Ankara. Last email I got from him was on July 16. He was stuck at the Airport trying to get to France. Hope he made it out.

I can't believe how slow politicians both on a national and an international level are against the government of turkey. There need to be consequences now and they need to be harsh. And I want those who not necessarily defers to them is held to their words in the coming months.

norinrad

I can't believe how slow politicians both on a national and an international level are against the government of turkey. There need to be consequences now and they need to be harsh. And I want those who not necessarily defers to them is held to their words in the coming months.

What can they do when Erdogan is holding refugees at bay for said politicians?

Allegedly this is a whatsapp group of (some of) the plotters: https://mobile.twitter.com/CAPAMAG/status/754231091733618688/video/1
Can someone summarize what they were posting?

Huge ass translation / chronologic analysis based the chats within ^ whatsapp group:

bellingcat - “We’ve shot four people. Everything’s fine.” The Turkish Coup through the Eyes of its Plotters - bellingcat

How it ended:

Mn7hKec.png

vaderise

I'm not a Erdogan supporter but he's doing an actual GREAT job with destroying the Gulen society.
Gulen Society tried to take over education,media and economy. They brainwashed millions of kids. They HAD to go.

I'm not a Erdogan supporter but he's doing an actual GREAT job with destroying the Gulen society.
Gulen Society tried to take over education,media and economy. They brainwashed millions of kids. They HAD to go.
I refuse to believe that there isn't innocent collateral in this purge of Gulenist sentiment.

vaderise

I refuse to believe that there isn't innocent collateral in this purge of Gulenist sentiment.

Call me evil but i just can't feel sorry for anyone who is associated with the Gulen Society. As a Turkish citizen i witnessed them getting bigger and bigger as they corrupt the country.
And about the closed educational properties, the government promised that they will transfer all students to equal schools.

oti

Banned

From your point of view, what does the Gulen Society stand for? I would love to know. The image here in Germany seems to be mostly positive or neutral although the thought of a parallel society does sound potantially dangerous and who knows what their goals are.

Call me evil but i just can't feel sorry for anyone who is associated with the Gulen Society. As a Turkish citizen i witnessed them getting bigger and bigger as they corrupt the country.
And about the closed educational properties, the government promised that they will transfer all students to equal schools.

and the torture, other human rights violations, independent media,...?

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
So, in other news CHP organized today a pro-democracy rally and some tens of thousands attended.

Amid a sea of red flags, banners bore slogans such as "We defend the republic!"
The CHP's leader said "democracy won!" but he also warned against the dangers of authoritarianism.
One banner read: "No to the coup, no to dictatorship".

Many of the CHP supporters gathered in Taksim Square waved flags with a picture of Mustafa Kemal Ataturk, the founder of modern Turkey.

But in an interesting turn of events:
Despite Turkey's political divisions, Istanbul's mayor and other AK party leaders joined the opposition demonstrators.
Posters at the rally proclaimed "No to coups".
In his speech, CHP leader Kemal Kilicdaroglu said that amid the turmoil, "the parliament stood proudly, Turkey stood proudly, MPs stood proudly, people in this square have stood proudly, and democracy won!"
But he also stressed the importance of a free press and freedom of assembly, as well as the dangers of dictatorship and authoritarianism.
He said: "The state cannot be governed by grudge, anger and prejudice. Those responsible for the coup should be tried lawfully, with the understanding of abiding by the rule of law."
In a rare move, pro-government television channels broadcast the speech live.

I wonder what's the end game here for Erdogan?

I'm not a Erdogan supporter but

Lol. Such a cliche.

msv

But you didn't notice the same thing, but bigger, with Erdogan? I call bullshit.

If you think torturing Gulenists is acceptable and "don't feel sorry for them," yes, you're probably a bit evil.

You obviously don't believe in democracy, rule of law and justice. Just admit it.

skny

Don't say that in GAF, where everyone follows this shit through reddit and pretend they know better than people who live in Turkey . And get ready to be labeled as an Erdogan supporter.

From your point of view, what does the Gulen Society stand for? I would love to know. The image here in Germany seems to be mostly positive or neutral although the thought of a parallel society does sound potantially dangerous and who knows what their goals are.

Well obviously Gulen society is Hydra.

Red Fire

Don't say that in GAF, where everyone follows this shit through reddit and pretend they know better than people who live in Turkey . And get ready to be labeled as an Erdogan supporter.

Hahahaha yeah this thread is so ridiculous

I mean i am not saying torture is a good thing, not at all, but when the cia tortured terrorists after 9/11 nobody seemed to care. They are terrorists after all, we need our information etc.

When Erdogan does the same he and all of his supporters become evil? And yes, a military coup where many civilians get wounded and killed is indeed an act of terror, as much as GAF likes to support this oh-so-good-natured coup.

Same with the emergency state in France and in turkey.

Double standards.

vaderise

They stand for an all Islamic nation which is totally against the ideals that our country was based on.

Lol. Such a cliche.

I attended protests against Erdogan, voted the opposition party without a doubt and defending actions of Erdogan against a terrorist society makes me a Erdogan supporter? Yeah, fuck that.

But you didn't notice the same thing, but bigger, with Erdogan? I call bullshit.

Believe me, it's not even close.
Whether you're an Erdogan supporter or not, every single person with a right mind can see the harms Gulen society made to this country.
And the coup attempt was their final act.

People just read a lot of shit through their local media and pretend to know everything about the every situation that occurs in anywhere.
Sorry for that guys but you all know nothing about Turkish politics.

Hahahaha yeah this thread is so ridiculous

I mean i am not saying torture is a good thing, not at all, but when the cia tortured terrorists after 9/11 nobody seemed to care. They are terrorists after all, we need our information etc.

When Erdogan does the same he and all of his supporters become evil? And yes, a military coup where many civilians get wounded and killed is indeed an act of terror, as much as GAF likes to support this oh-so-good-natured coup.

Same with the emergency state in France and in turkey.

Double standards.
Nobody on gaf opposed torture by the US? WTF?

"Torture is bad BUT"

Thread full of biiiiiiiig buts and whataboutism justifications.

Where is your evidence? i bet its firmly up the ass of Erdogan.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom