• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Failed military coup in Turkey; Erdogan promising swift reprisal

Status
Not open for further replies.

Condom

Defending whataboutism with a theoretical whataboutism. You do this on purpose, don't you?
I just urge people to keep thinking realistic here. A coup is a very serious thing for a state. Therefore a state of emergency is kind of expected.

If you aren't going to be fair in your criticism then you are just adding to the polarisation.

Red Fire

You defend torture with torture. Do you have no standards, no respect towards human life?

Another one who doesn't understand what he reads. Sigh.. where did i defend anything? Torture is bad in both cases, never ever did i defend it. You're just putting words in my mouth. I just pointed out that in the case of the USA nobody seemed to care but in turkey everyone "stands up". Both are obviously bad. But it's the way media influence people.

Do you have no reading capabilities?

msv

Another one who doesn't understand what he reads. Sigh.. where did i defend anything? Torture is bad in both cases, never ever did i defend it. You're just putting words in my mouth. I just pointed out that in the case of the USA nobody seemed to care but in turkey everyone "stands up". Both are obviously bad. But it's the way media influence people.

Do you have no reading capabilities?
Who in this topic didn't care when the torture by the USA was in the news? Point them out.

Turkey's Erdogan criticises EU over Syria refugee deal

Turkish President Recep Tayyip Erdogan says the EU has not been "sincere" over an aid deal with Turkey to contain the influx of refugees from Syria.
There has been concern about the EU-Turkey deal, clinched in March, since Turkey was thrown into turmoil by a coup attempt on 15 July.
"The European leaders are not sincere," Mr Erdogan complained in an interview with German ARD television.
Of the €3bn (£2.5bn) pledged, the EU has paid a token €1m-€2m, he said.
Turkey is hosting about 2.7 million Syrian refugees and Mr Erdogan said the cost to Turkey so far had been nearly $12bn (€11bn; £9bn).
"Turkey stands by its commitment with regard to refugees," Mr Erdogan said. http://www.bbc.com/news/world-europe-36892393

MMaRsu

Banned
Was on the news yesterday: Turkish embassy in the Netherlands demanded our government to crack down on Gülen supporters.
An MP responded that they will ignore this and points out the situation regarding justice and rights in Turkey.

Good. Fucking Erdogan

"Opposed to the current party"
They are supporters of terrorists. As i said, a coup where hundreds of civilians get killed/wounded is an act of terror. Removing these people who want a parallel state and support these things is not bad at all.

Also this.

And you're telling me about piss weak arguments

You are the one who compared it to France and said there is a double standard. The coup is Erdogan's Reichstag fire. He is using it to clamp down on any and all opposition. The French government has done no such thing so your complaint is stupid.

France also did not have a coup against them.

Imagine a coup attempt in the US, no way that'd go over orderly lol

It's hard to imagine a coup attempt in a stable democracy.
I think the best I can do is compare Turkey to Russia.
Yeltsin in 93, the putsch in 91...

There was a failed coup in Spain in 1981, but that wasn't a stable democracy.

Coups are common in dictatorship and immature democracies.
Turkey seems to be reverting back to a dictatorship.
One with fake elections. Like Syria.

Full blown civil war in Turkey is a lot more likely than a coup in France or in the US.

The suspension of rights in France is used to expedite searches and arrests.
It's not used by the government for political gains.
I expect Hollande to be soundly defeated in the next election too.

Erdogan has been in power for too long and at this point is just trying to enrich his extended family. This is what happens when you don't shuffle your leaders and keep the same guy on the throne for too long. The whole edifice crumbles.

The lack of term limits is a huge failure of the Turkish constitution.
That's the one thing that should be reformed.

TwvzWS2.gif

norinrad

Was on the news yesterday: Turkish embassy in the Netherlands demanded our government to crack down on Gülen supporters.
An MP responded that they will ignore this and points out the situation regarding justice and rights in Turkey.

I lol'ed when I heard this on BNR on my way to work.

oti

Banned
Turkey demands from Germany to extradite Gulenists. If they are German citizens this is impossible and even if they're not, being a Gulenists is not illegal in Germany. They also asked the government to "examine" shools etc. that could be run by Gulenists. The government responded that those demands are "outlandish" and they declined since Turkey has "no evidence".

18:48 Uhr
Türkei verlangt von Deutschland Auslieferung von Gülen-Anhängern

Nach dem Putschversuch in der Türkei fordert die Regierung in Ankara auch von Deutschland die Auslieferung von türkischen Gülen-Anhängern. Außenminister Cavusoglu sprach gegenüber CNN Türk von Richtern und Staatsanwälten. Außerdem forderte die Türkei die badenwürttembergische Landesregierung auf, Einrichtungen der Bewegung zu prüfen, etwa Schulen und Vereine. Ministerpräsident Kretschmann (Grüne) sagte der "Frankfurter Allgemeinen Zeitung", das habe ihn "in höchstem Maße befremdet". Er habe abgelehnt, da die Türkei "keine Belege" habe.

http://m.heute.de

Turkey frees 758 soldiers after failed coup, Erdogan drops lawsuits
http://www.reuters.com/article/us-turkey-security-idUSKCN10A0HH
Turkey has released more than 750 soldiers detained after an abortive coup, state media reported on Saturday, while President Tayyip Erdogan said he would drop lawsuits against people who had insulted him, in a one-time gesture of "unity".....

Seems like he is laser focused on this Gulen thing that he has no time for his other arrests in the past

article also gives a recap of what has been posted in this thread already.... man a total of 60,000 arrests is crazy
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Turkey releases 62 military academy students
https://www.yahoo.com/news/turkey-releases-62-military-academy-students-report-183753629.html?ref=gs
Ankara (AFP) - Turkish authorities on Saturday released from jail 62 students from Istanbul's military academy, more than two weeks after the July 15 attempted coup, local media reported.

Many of the students at Kuleli military high school in the city were believed to be teenagers caught up in the failed putsch by a rogue group in the military which tried to oust President Recep Tayyip Erdogan from power.

The students walked out of the gates of the prison in Maltepe on the Asian side of Istanbul to an emotional reunion with crying relatives who had been waiting, private Dogan news agency reported.

An Istanbul court ordered the release of the students late on Friday among a total of 758 soldiers, adding to another 3,500 former suspects already set free.

However, 231 soldiers were remanded in custody in the same hearings, the agency reported.

The case of the students had amplified concerns that many of the thousands of soldiers detained nationwide over complicity in the coup may have only been following orders and had no idea a putsch was in progress.

Turkish officials have insisted that each case is being examined and no individual is going to be unfairly punished.

Since the coup, nearly half of the military’s generals and admirals have been dismissed.

Turkey detained more than 18,000 people over the attempted putsch which has been blamed on the US-based preacher Fethullah Gulen -- a charge he denies.

Nearly 70,000 people have been suspended from their jobs within state institutions, state-run Anadolu news agency reported on Saturday. Almost 43,000 of those were from the education ministry.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Also Yesterday the HDP (the Kurdish party) had a anti coup rally yesterday

https://twitter.com/HDPgenelmerkezi/status/759070584538066944

that means now every political party had a anti coup rally in total

Again strategically the smart thing to do would be to please these parties then to have more enemies

oti

Banned
There will be a huge (approximately 30.000 people) pro Erdogan rally tomorrow in Cologne, Germany and four anti Erdogan rallies. Everyone's on edge. Police have said they will not tolerate any violence whatsoever.

Clefargle

Flying through Istanbul tomorrow. Overnight layover, any advice? I plan to stay in the airport for the entire 16 hours as I suspect it's the most secure place. Not gonna lie, I'm a little worried about this trip.

oti

Banned
Corf-H7XYAAZ0yS.jpg

Have fun Germanygaf.

The AKP also wanted to live stream Erdogan talking to his supporters but the biggest court of Germany denied it, since that could have ended in violence/panic. But there will be other Turkish politicians speaking. The second anyone of them says something along the lines of "fight for Turkey" this will end in chaos.

Fantastapotamus

Wrong about commas, wrong about everything
Seems like Erdogan (like Trump) also is a fan of Hitler's government.

Erdogan antwortete den Berichten zufolge, dass sich Zentralstaat und Präsidialsystem nicht ausschließen würden. "Es gibt aktuell Beispiele in der Welt und auch Beispiele in der Vergangenheit. Wenn Sie an Hitler-Deutschland denken, haben Sie eines. In anderen Staaten werden Sie ähnliche Beispiele finden."

http://www.spiegel.de/politik/ausla...beispiel-fuer-praesidialsystem-a-1070162.html

Translation:
According to reports, Erdogan thinks a centralised state and a presidential system aren't mutually exclusive. "There are current examples in the world and also examples in the past. Think about Hitler-Germany. You can find similar examples in other countries"

BUT

he is democratically elected. So it's all cool

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom