• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

FelixOrion

Poet Centuriate
Code Geass R2 19
Zero exposed like a motherfucker. Him giving himself up like that and playing along and letting the Black Knights think he betrayed them and was using them this whole time, as well as admitting to Suzaku that he used Geass on Euphy to kill the Japanese as some "plan" of his even though he knows it was just an accident...this dude was just broken and self-loathing at this point. Nunally dying because of his Geass was probably the last straw. At least he's got his will back at the end and somewhat accepted what a piece of shit he is. Him being a monster or not, Charles has to be dealt with.

And Suzaku laughs maniacally. 'Cause well...why not? He just killed millions of people, including Nunally as well as several others he cared about. That's what people who lose their mind in this show do.

How does this even end? No matter who wins, everybody loses.

You're wrong. Everyone wins. The end is glorious.

best pupipo oty 2014

more people need to understand the glory that is PuPiPo.

9 mins of the Space Battleship Yamato 2199 film: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nw1C2cmNzBY

awwww shit son

all that hype right into my veins

hate to be that guy, but I haven't seen anything this year except kill la kill and jojo. Any recommendations? open to anything.

Space Dandy
Mushi-shi Zoku Shou
PuPiPo
Terror in Resonance
Tonari no Seki-kun

Midonin

Librarian 09

Nagi is
his little sister?
Surprise relatives up in here. The stuff with Senri was also interesting, and the conflicts coming about as a result of the Shepherds are holding my attention more than I anticipated. Do you meddle in lives? Cultivate talent? Or is Senri's happiness the most important of all? I remember seeing some themes like this in Sakurasou, too.

Mature

Maybe I should ask people here about the list of anime.

Right now, I am consider to buy some anime show and looking at the Right Stuff sale stuff (and going crazy right now). Because of my issue (don't watch recent anime) I make a list of anime show and wondering if it's worth the cost to buy it or not. Opinion is fine here.

Amagami SS Blu-ray Complete Collection (S)
And Yet The Town Moves DVD Complete Collection (S)
Clannad After Story Blu-ray Complete Collection (Hyb)
Clannad Blu-ray Complete Collection (Hyb)
Clannad: The Motion Picture DVD (Hyb)
Emma: A Victorian Romance Season 1 DVD Collection (S) -
Emma: A Victorian Romance Season 2 DVD Collection (S) Limited Edition
Garden of Words, The Blu-ray (Hyb)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex 2nd Gig DVD Set (Hyb) (Anime Legends)
Ghost in the Shell: Stand Alone Complex DVD Set (Hyb) (Anime Legends)
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing DVD/Blu-ray Part 1 (Hyb)
Last Exile: Fam, the Silver Wing DVD/Blu-ray Part 2 (Hyb)
Royal Space Force: Wings of Honneamise Blu-ray (Hyb)
Serial Experiments Lain DVD/Blu-ray Complete Collection (Hyb) - Anime Classics
Watamote (No Matter How I Look At It...) Blu-ray Complete Collection (Hyb)
And Yet the Town Moves, Ghost in the Shell, Royal Space Force, and Lain are all excellent choices.

Clannad After Story Blu-ray Complete Collection (Hyb)
Clannad Blu-ray Complete Collection (Hyb)
Clannad: The Motion Picture DVD (Hyb)
Garden of Words, The Blu-ray (Hyb)
Watamote (No Matter How I Look At It...) Blu-ray Complete Collection (Hyb)

I've only watched those, but if you like romantic tragedy stuff then get Clannad+After Story. Don't get the movie.

Garden of Words is a great looking film, so it's worth getting for the visuals alone. I liked the story in 5 Centimeters Per Second more, but it's decent enough.

Watamote is both funny, horrible and makes you cringe at the same time. It has some interesting visuals. Maybe check out an episode or two on Crunchyroll first to see if it's something for you.

Attack on Titan 15

c47.jpg

I love how they did cleaning Levi. Almost makes up for the slow pace that the last two episodes have had.

Most of the episode focuses on Hange's dealings with the Titans and boy can she ham it up. I love it.

We are also introduced to more members of the Survey Corps A.K.A our cannon fodder for the next little while.

Blusby

Maybe I should ask people here about the list of anime.

Right now, I am consider to buy some anime show and looking at the Right Stuff sale stuff (and going crazy right now). Because of my issue (don't watch recent anime) I make a list of anime show and wondering if it's worth the cost to buy it or not. Opinion is fine here.

Royal Space Force, GitS, Lain, and Garden of Words are all good choices, most importantly though you should pick up the $7 Le Portrait de Petite Cossette: http://www.rightstuf.com/1-800-338-6827/catalogmgr/ZHjmKEjRneBVl59W1r/browse/item/86527/4/0/0

phaze

Shin Sekai Yori 4

Well that's more like it. A welcome break from the meandering school activities and a large look beyond the veil of secrecy that covered the past and present of this world. One pet peeve I have is the ease with which Saki@crew got access to all this secret data. Given the amount of effort and care it took to withhold the truth from them, leaving an exposition machine roaming around like that seems like a pretty big omission. Overall, pretty great episode, even the 10 minute infodump was expertly told and didn't leave me bored for a second. Still not a big fan of the kids but events seem to be narrated by an older Saki so perhaps a timeskip is a coming.

Rewatching the first two episodes, I noticed some major time hijinks. The purple sundown and later scenes from the first episode seem to be a 1000 years apart yet they clearly feature the same characters. And what the hell is the deal with those white masks ? They even show up in the ED. Speaking of the ED, I absolutely adore it. A perfect blend melancholic music and godly visuals.

Midonin

Chaika AB 09

Guy was Gaz, and "Chaika" is revealed as the name of the magic that he used to create the Chaikas. Setting up the final battle an episode before the final battle means that, yeah, this season should've had two or three more episodes, but Kadokawa is still on their 10-episode seasons. Gaz certainly lives up to the legends that were told about him. This is a really good chance for Chaika to finally obtain the ultimate free will, and take down her "dad" for the peace that this world needs.

Attack on Titan 16

And the show continues to spend an entire episode on something that could have been done in half of the runtime.

At least the Female Titan arc begins in the next episode. Knowing the pace of this show though, we'll properly only be introduced to it at the very end of it.

Parasyte 10

Holy shit, that was good. Don't wanna get into detail cause there's a lot of oh-shit moments and what not.

HOWEVER, I'm glad to see that the plot is starting to go somewhere. We know more about
differentiating the parasytes from actual humans
, which...............helps.

Attack on Titan 16

And the show continues to spend an entire episode on something that could have been done in half of the runtime.

At least the Female Titan arc begins in the next episode. Knowing the pace of this show though, we'll properly only be introduced to it at the very end of it.

don't worry, shit pacing episodes are over from here on out :p

jgminto

TBF Sekai had been training throughout this season and started much earlier than Reji did and most of Reji's stuff was very general with little direct application to the show outside his general competence increasing, which is why the general focal points were Sei's machine. Also don't think we need a direct retread of season one because season one exists.

The greatest issue this show faces is developing it's supporting characters and relationships which really isn't quite there and developing introducing interesting a properly developed rival, that and the fact they should stoping using one big punch t inish off fights, they've done enough of that to last several seasons already.

You're right that Sekai was training for a while but it doesn't justify a character that was shown as being his biggest threat, one he wouldn't be able to successfully use his martial arts on, barely even getting a hit on Sekai as he continues to successfully use his martial arts to win. There was no intensely even match, there was no Sekai backed into a corner who has to fight his way out somehow and the only tension came from a cheap attempt at a twist end.

hipbabboom

Huh? What did I say? Did I screw up again? :(
Grisaia no Kajitsu - 09
Kazami Yuuji is the sort of grey I'd like to see more of in protagonist. Wasting fools who need to be wasted with no reservation. Man that was cathartic!

Chuuni 09

Yuta should really get some kind of lock on his window.

Copying romance manga doesn't work, but in the end Rikka really falls in love. Quite literally. Some kind of comparison can be drawn with how the show started and what happened here at the end of the episode as well I guess.

Chaika AB - 09

Oh Fredrika, you always find a way to gross me out. But let's not stop there, let's witness a birth by a tentacle Chaika while we're at it. I liked the fact that
Guy was used as the body and then he 'grew' to a more Gaz look.
This is kinda nuts, I have no idea how they're going to fix this with only one episode.

Parasyte - 10

While I liked the events of the episode, the action at the beginning felt incredible disjointed and somewhat senseless.

For instance
I just don't understand why Shinichi didn't just get his ass over to the other parasite in a more timely manner. I understand that there was some confusion and difficulty to sense him, but I had a hard time believing it taking so long. It got especially strange when he reassured himself to save Murano and still ventured on with such a slow pace.

I'm also not sure if I can buy Murano not being more in disbelief about the his jump down several floors...even if she was in deep shock. That's just something she'd also wonder about in hindsight with a clearer mind and would have to seem awfully strange. But maybe she's actually certain that he ain't normal anymore but isn't telling him at the moment. let's see.

Mature

Shin Sekai Yori 4

Well that's more like it. A welcome break from the meandering school activities and a large look beyond the veil of secrecy that covered the past and present of this world. One pet peeve I have is the ease with which Saki@crew got access to all this secret data. Given the amount of effort and care it took to withhold the truth from them, leaving an exposition machine roaming around like that seems like a pretty big omission. Overall, pretty great episode, even the 10 minute infodump was expertly told and didn't leave me bored for a second. Still not a big fan of the kids but events seem to be narrated by an older Saki so perhaps a timeskip is a coming.

Rewatching the first two episodes, I noticed some major time hijinks. The purple sundown and later scenes from the first episode seem to be a 1000 years apart yet they clearly feature the same characters. And what the hell is the deal with those white masks ? They even show up in the ED. Speaking of the ED, I absolutely adore it. A perfect blend melancholic music and godly visuals.
Can't really think of a better ED than SSY's in recent years.

Attack on Titan 17

Hey look, things are actually happening. It only took the show 3 episodes before things began to pick up again.

I got to say, the foreshadowing regarding
Annie being the Female Titan and Reiner being the mole for Annie
is more obvious in the Anime than it was in the Manga.

Theonik

Remember, literally nothing is stopping you from watching Silver Fang right now.

dogstar2ulsdh.gif

dogtiersoliverp8yr4.gif
alright then

ANYONE THAT DEEMS THEMSELVES AFICIONADOS OF THE LIST OWES THEMSELVES TO CHECK OUT THE SUPER YOYO DUB WHICH ONLY EXISTS AS VCD RIPS ON YOUTUBE

MARVEL AT THE MOST PATHETIC MC IN LIVING HISTORY

superyoyo4.jpg
superyoyo4a.jpg

MARVEL AT THE SUPER SERIOUS COMPETITIVE YOYO SCENE OF THE 90'S

superyoyo4c.jpg
superyoyo10.jpg

MARVEL AT WHATEVER THE FUCK THIS IS

superyoyo11.jpg
superyoyo13.jpg

AND THAT DOESN'T EVEN INCLUDE THE HEALING POWER OF YOYO'S WHICH MUST BE SCENE WITH ONES OWN EYES!
Added

Also note that Kiss Dum: Engage Planet was successfully vetted by several people earlier this year.
Please provide the post.

Chuuni 10

Ah, yes. The school festival. The perfect time to meet up with old friends and reveal embarrassing stuff about eachother.

Only just confessed and then there's already problems and even a sort-of fight. Or maybe more of a lack of a fight :p

Quasar

Just wondering if people here still buy anime DVD or bluray or just stream it online now? Just notice from cleaning up my room of how many Anime dvd I have own right now and it's quite bit. Might consider to get rid of them soon as I am slowly transfer the show onto my external HDD. The picture below are show I have own as of now.

I don't really, but that's true of physical media generally. Of course part of it is lessons learned from DvD where I bought lots but in the end rewatched maybe 10% of the discs I bought. All it was was a money sink. Of course anime is a bit different in that you can't buy subbed anime digitally. But they really have to be favourites that I know I'll rewatch for me to buy even on sale. And at least so far anime disappearing from streaming us pretty rare...though I guess in time that will change and I'll feel more need to buy more anime.

Chaika AB - 09

Wow, that twist. What a surprise. said no one ever

Considering that the show had little going for it and built up to this overly predictable 'twist'...*sigh*

Also not sure how to react to the remains-eating-Tentacle-Vagina and ensuing combination of orgasm and giving birth. Well, actually I was a bit grossed out, which seems appropriate.

Parasyte 10

A fine episode.

I was thinking of the good pace of this series, thanks to the "pressure" of putting the entire, already finished manga in 24-26? episodes. More series should follow this model. On these 10 episodes we had (spoilers just in case)

First contact with Migi
First combat against a parasyte
Female teacher "arc"
Mother's death
Shinichi almost death and transformation
Vengeance journey "arc"
Shinichi character's change (with the bully, his gf, etc)
Shimada's "arc"

Of course as Tokyo Ghoul jump in annual manga sales showed us, manga adoptions to anime are mostly driven to drum up manga sales, not to actually make an anime that sells well. Hell, we didn't have Parasyte now if it wasn't thanks to the live action movie!

Parasyte - 10

First off, yay! We've finally gone further in the TV series than what I've read in the manga.
I had never got around to seeing the conclusion to this arc so it was actually a pretty interesting fight to see here. Shinichi ending it all with sniping the opposing Parasite from long range was pretty damn satisfying too, it feels like that would be a pretty effective method of dealing with most other opponents as well.
That said, some of the specific details in this episode left me a bit ... unsatisfied.
Meeting among government officials and the test ensuring that no one among them was a Parasite is a neat one, I like the specific means of identification that they're using there. That said it seems odd that they would do something like this without a literal Parasite free verified army behind them to ensure that, if there was a Parasite among the government officials, that they wouldn't all be butchered immediately. The lack of foresight in that scenario bugged me.

The specific way in which the corpses were dismembered along with the sheer number of victims should have sent alarm bells among both the public and the families of the victims. Given the time that the attack started and ended and the extent to which the victims were torn apart it seems sort of a stretch that the police/government would be able to cover up that something distinctly extraordinary occurred. You had people cut in two at literally the torso and no one is questioning how a drug crazed teenager would be able to handle that? And the cops being murdered too despite being armed? The scenario and subsequent cover up would have worked a lot better if the school was empty and our villain was only trying to dispose of glasses girl rather than having taken out potentially dozens of people during the start and end.

Murano giving 0 fucks about Shinichi jumping from a third story window and then immediately jumping over a goddamn fence while also holding onto her. No other comment needed.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom