• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall Anime 2014 lOTl Unlimited Tomino Works

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jarmel

Banned
Parasyte-10

I thought this episode was really poorly directed. Music was awful other than the final sequence. How so much of this was handled just seemed sloppy all around.

Good lord, for a guy who has super speed, Shinichi moved around at a snail's pace this episode.

CorvoSol

Too bad you didn't like it, it's possibly my favorite Gundam series. I'll say part of that is because I really liked the themes it pushed forth, and the way it did that, so I guess I'm biased.

Still, it's just odd to see you complaining about nothing being explained and lack of character development, almost seems like we're looking at two completely different series.

The non-explanation comes from the ending. There was no explanation at all for the whole "Newtypes are aren't all in your head maybe if you believe it."

And I stand by the lack of character development. I really can't name anybody who did in a big way. Tiffa got more talkative and Jamil got back in the saddle, but otherwise nothing.

And UGH those Frost Brothers. I might attempt to write things out in a more composed, clearer way, but I need to just let the series sit for a bit, as that ending rubbed me the wrong way.

SDBurton

World's #1 Cosmonaut Enthusiast
Kampfer - 01

BmQPmLn.jpg

Decided to check this out per Thoraxes' request. I think I'm gonna enjoy this. :D

Dead

well not really...yet
Gundam X has two of the most bitchin OPs of any gundam ever and the X Gundam itself is cool

But yeah the show ain't that great in retrospect, though I wouldn't call it awful.

CorvoSol

Gundam X has two of the most bitchin OPs of any gundam ever and the X Gundam itself is cool

But yeah the show ain't that great in retrospect, though I wouldn't call it awful.

Prior to the ending the worst word I wanted to throw at Gundam X was "Boring" but I'm hella salty about that ending.

Jarmel

Banned
Oh fucking god this episode of Chaika is stupid.

Show goes on the dungheap with Soul Eater and other LOLBONESWRITING garbage.

Jarmel

Banned
Chaika S2-9
HOLY FUCKING SHIT, YOU KNOW YOUR NARRATIVE IS TRASH WHEN YOU HAVE TO USE TWO ARCS TO SAY THE SAME DAMN THING.

IT'S LITERALLY LIKE THE ISLAND ARC NEVER HAPPENED.

Bravo BONES, this is the worst ending for one of your shows since Soul Eater. This might even be worse than Soul Eater. Congrats.

I have now seen childbirth in an anime. Well done.

Kampfer - 01

Decided to check this out per Thoraxes' request. I think I'm gonna enjoy this. :D
Kampfer's great fun! The only thing wrong with it is that it stops in the middle. S2 will never happen, will it... :( Need to finish the story!
And use the manga ending, not the anime one.

Crocodile

Parasyte-10

I thought this episode was really poorly directed. Music was awful other than the final sequence. How so much of this was handled just seemed sloppy all around.

Good lord, for a guy who has super speed, Shinichi moved around at a snail's pace this episode.

Are you me? Stop having my thoughts for me :p

Oh fucking god this episode of Chaika is stupid.

Show goes on the dungheap with Soul Eater and other LOLBONESWRITING garbage.

Why are BONES (or even anime writers) so shitty so often? WAY TOO OFTEN it feels like I or AnimeGAF as a collective could do better if given similar resources. I am not a fiction writer. I should not feel like I can do a better job than so many paid writers in the anime industry. It's frustrating :/

Soul Eater still stings to this day. The first 37 or so episodes is probably the best/among the best Shonen anime I've ever seen :(

Chaika S2-9
HOLY FUCKING SHIT, YOU KNOW YOUR NARRATIVE IS TRASH WHEN YOU HAVE TO USE TWO ARCS TO SAY THE SAME DAMN THING.

IT'S LITERALLY LIKE THE ISLAND ARC NEVER HAPPENED.

Bravo BONES, this is the worst ending for one of your shows since Soul Eater. This might even be worse than Soul Eater. Congrats.

I have now seen childbirth in an anime. Well done.

Thank god it's over in a week.

Jarmel

Banned
But is that better or worse than seeing an infant in the womb while her pregnant mother gets it on and her 8 year old self screams and an emotionally abused teenager about how good it felt?

I just saw
a tentacle monster give birth after eating the corpse of her dead father. All the while she has an orgasm as she gives birth to her dad in teenager status.

It's pretty damn close.

Parasyte 10

This hair pulling thing sounds like a really good way to get a lot of people killed. I'm not sure how this is supposed to keep their existence from becoming public knowledge either.

Jarmel

Banned
Parasyte 10

This hair pulling thing sounds like a really good way to get a lot of people killed. I'm not sure how this is supposed to keep it from becoming public knowledge either.

It works as a check on the Parasites in that the Parasites would have to limit their activities and it makes it harder for them to operate in the open.

Parasyte 10

This hair pulling thing sounds like a really good way to get a lot of people killed. I'm not sure how this is supposed to keep their existence from becoming public knowledge either.

yeah that's my only logical issue with this. Looks like it was trying to pull a clever The Thing blood test, but if their plan is to keep it quiet then it's the furthest thing away from it outside of outright telling people.

It works as a check on the Parasites in that the Parasites would have to limit their activities and it makes it harder for them to operate in the open.

At the risk of more people getting killed if they do discover anything. And that'd make it even harder to keep things quiet.

Jarmel

Banned
At the risk of more being getting killed if they do discover anything. And that'd make it even harder to keep things quiet.

Yea it's a strategy that would initially result in high casualties but eventually the Parasites would just avoid most human interaction.

Parasyte 10

Censored as hell as expected. For those wondering, the scene you probably know I'm talking about looked like this in the manga. Pretty obvious something like that wouldn't fly on TV, so it's whatever.

That piano version of the ED is pretty damn baller.

Parasyte 10

Censored as hell as expected. For those wondering, the scene you probably know I'm talking about looked like this in the manga. Pretty obvious something like that wouldn't fly on TV, so it's whatever.

The censoring for that kind of stuff has to happen, but at least it's not a black void like Terraformars and Tokyo Ghoul and they just darken it so you can still kind of tell what's going on. I think that's a lot more preferable.

Thoraxes

Got some stuff from the RightStuf sale in the mail today:
Very nice!
I just copied the GIF he posted earlier. Because you know, I disagree with Thoraxes, his avatar is a bear and mine is a dog. Plan to watch the show for sure though.
It's pretty much the perfect gif haha.
Kampfer - 01

Hell yeah! I've got all the good recs for you recently!

Eureka Seven is now on Netflix.

A good friend of mine insisted that I watch it no matter how hard it is to get through because of the great payoff in the end

This has made it more convenient for me to watch it.
But after plenty of starting and stopping, I did it.

It took me two years but I finally finished season one.

Some might ask, why did it take so long?

Because I can not stand Renton Thurston.

dan2026

A lot of the characters in Eureka Seven are fucking intolerable.

I dont know how I finished that series. I struggle to recommend it.

Parasyte 8-9

This like like a cavalcade of stupid:
  • "Are you really Izumi?" - I get why Murano is asking this question but after the 43135135th time she asked it I too would be tempted to snap. It's such an obnoxious way to address somebody. Just come out and say she doesn't like how he's changed
  • Shouldn't Shinichi in his defense, at least tell Murano his mom is dead? The death of a parent is a legit excuse for a character change, be it positive or negative.
  • Why are ALL the girls in this show so thirsty? It's unnatural. Especially Kana. I get that due to her senses Shinchi gives off a weird vibe but I don't understand how that turned from confusion and curiosity to romantic interest.
  • At this point, considering his dad is fully aware of what going on, Shinichi not telling his Dad about Migi feels really short-sighted. I feel that' info that could potentially save lives down the road and at the very least I'd trust my own father not to blab about it to the government. Is Shinhci still afraid Migi might axe his dad if he knew?
  • Bullies in anime are insufferable. These fuckers really have nothing better to do than try to beat up people all day?
  • You suspect someone is a man-eating alien and you confront them alone with a bottle of pain-thinner in a dark room after having told nobody about what you're doing even if there are people you know would believe you and help? Holy shit girl you dumb O_O

Parasyte 10

Much better though I have to say for the shit that was going down, Shinchi (or most other people) didn't seem to be in much of a hurry to move anywhere.

Agreed on all points, except the one about his dad. He just lost his wife to a parasyte, his son confessing he has also a parasyte on his hand could go south fast, even if there is an unique context explaining it.

duckroll

Chaika AB - Episode 9

The magic technique that puts audiences to sleep? Or the one which ruins an entertaining show? Or maybe the one that.... fuck it. The ball has been dropped so hard in the last 3-4 episodes. Really disappointing. The way they decided to rearrange and compress the events of the novels completely ruined any potential this arc could have had. Oh well, only one more episode. Meh.

NeonZ

The non-explanation comes from the ending. There was no explanation at all for the whole "Newtypes are aren't all in your head maybe if you believe it."

And I stand by the lack of character development. I really can't name anybody who did in a big way. Tiffa got more talkative and Jamil got back in the saddle, but otherwise nothing.

And UGH those Frost Brothers. I might attempt to write things out in a more composed, clearer way, but I need to just let the series sit for a bit, as that ending rubbed me the wrong way.

The part about Newtypes not existing was referencing the ideology (in a world where people had lost their values, they latched upon Newtypes to fill that void). They aren't gods or tools necessary to take mankind to a golden age. just people. The powers themselves weren‘t denied, just the meaning given to those powers by people.

Regarding the character development, I think the main Gundam pilots were all obviously much more mature by the end. although I don't think arguing will go anywhere.

I do think the Frosts were a weakness. They're petty villains actually called out as such by the show, which I liked compared to some Gundam villains where the viewer seems to be intended to take their petty motivations as meaningful. However, they're still mediocre characters overall.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom