• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fall of Anime 2012 |OT2| O cursed spite, that ever I was born to UUURRRRYYY!!

Status
Not open for further replies.

Soma

Ok so everybody lives in a huge city except me.

dude my town is like a mile and a half in diameter. :(

I would've gone to either the LA (2 hours away) or San Fran (6 hours away) showings but my friend who wanted to go decided to go to Japan this week. (jerk)

Apparently he bought me a Mami figurine from there so I'm totally cool with that too.

Defuser

Aoi Sekai no Chushin de
A sega fanboy wet dream anime.

That is one motherfucking fast pace episode, the fastest I ever seen. 3 events literally got it's fat cut off and join together goddamn. Tejilof is best character cause he does pervert things with swag.

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
Madoka Magica the Movie: Beginnings + Eternal
Oh gosh. What a long event that turned out to be. How strange it was to get to the theater and find a twisting long line of nerds and dorks that stretched the block. Let me say this up front I guess: holy boloney put down the video games. When people are walking through the line with Hatsune Mitsu dancing around on a Vita pressed to their face you know something has gone wrong. I think it was probably worse though when you just see some asshole pull out the DS Mario from six years ago to have Luigi throw cards at them for two minutes because they can't live without entertainment.

Anyways, the showing was lively and fun. There were a bunch of people dressed up and cosplaying, some of the costumes being pretty impressive. Those people got called up to the front of the theater and the manager handed some of them posters, doing his best to distribute a very limited quantity to the people that went the most all out.

As for the movie itself it pretty much delivered exactly what it promised. It was Madoka on a big screen. The theater wasn't exactly super modern or anything so the experience came complete with some exceptionally tall (and fat) people sitting in front of me to block the subs. The selfish part of me wished for them to get the Mami treatment.

I found it rather amusing that most of the darker twists and turns of the movie received more bemused reactions from the audience. I realized people are familiar with the plot as it is, but it does make me question the resonance of the everything. Madoka is a movie/show I have fun with, but rewatching it has largely solidified the fact that I felt as though Madoka requires the viewer to be on its side to succeed. Conceptually the story is cool, but for it to work I have to simply set aside the numerous plot holes, poorly constructed world, and blatant plot devices.

On a second viewing, I have to say that I felt as though there weren't really any strong concrete themes that Madoka carries either. As such, there isn't a great deal of substance to what's going on. In many ways this is a bigger issue when it comes to the show's visual imagery. It is often captivating and enthralling and is, I believe, largely responsible for winning over viewers like I brought up before. But what does most of it really mean? Much of the art happening in the periphery to the characters feels overwhelming but also irrelevant. In other situations Madoka simply beats the viewer over the head with obvious imagery that doesn't really have anything of substance to say.

Still though, it was fun seeing anime in a theater without having to be subjected to a modern Miyazaki film and I had a good time all things considered. In this format the movies feel fairly exhausting, and seem to stretch on and on. My cousin came with me, who wasn't familiar with the series, and he noted that it sometimes felt as though the movie wanted to end but couldn't as it was chugging along. This sort of leads me to believe that some of the transitions between episodes don't exactly go over in a stellar manner, but things seem to work all around. Certain stuff like the original OP almost feel shoved in to check boxes, and frankly all the meta humor is distracting and just becomes more so when it elicits a reaction from the audience by tickling some strange spot on certain viewers.

Oh, also did not run into Thoraxes. For better or for worse. Crowd was pretty big so I'm not too surprised I guess.

Jex

Sword Art Online - 16 / Alfheim Online - 01

I like the new game, although Kirito's design looks much crappier than before, and how did he manage to
grab the spear? What skill did he use? There are no levels in this game right? Don't tell me that it's his reaction time and he will be awarded with the dual wield skill again because of it?

It's a skill based game and Kirito is a master of timing. He's had years to practice, after all. Dude can count frames.

Jex

I'm trying to imagine roars of adoration and heart-attacks...

I always find going to a theatre with a really loud and engaged crowd to be a fairly refreshing experience. I don't know what it's like in other countries, but in Britain the audience is pretty much silent during the duration of a film, unless it's opening night or something. During the Wolf Children screening one girl behind me was howling and crying, which I suppose was appropriate given what we were watching.

cajunator

Banned
Sometimes I wish I lived closer to you guys and could actually attend stuff like this.
Such is the curse of internet communication.
A group of people can talk to each other for years and never ever meet.
Its rather depressing to think about.

Thoraxes

Madoka Magica the Movie: Beginnings + Eternal
... frankly all the meta humor is distracting and just becomes more so when it elicits a reaction from the audience by tickling some strange spot on certain viewers.

There were two meme-spouting dudes next to me. I kindly told them to shut the fuck up when we were 5 minutes into the first film and they were using outside voices.

Jex

Yeah, Tonari is definitely more accessible whereas Sukitte is more for fans of Shoujo anime. I'm just glad we're getting not one, but three shoujo anime in one season lol.

What does that even mean? 'Shoujo' isn't even a unified genre. Are you using it as a short hand for slow-moving romances that follow a specific formula?

dimb

Bjergsen is the greatest midlane in the world
There were two meme-spouting dudes next to me. I kindly told them to shut the fuck up when we were 5 minutes into the first film and they were using outside voices.
Oh wow, I did run into you!

No, awful joke. Please don't think I use memes.

Some guy ahead of me to the side was wearing a wide brimmed hat. I didn't really understand how people could be so inconsiderate, but I guess there's always new ground for that.

Westlo

I will defend Shaft even if I am all alone.
My love for the studio is everlasting.

You seriously can't defend the state they released the Negima movie in cinemas.... 45 minutes long and the BR is going to have an additional 40 minutes IIRC... (has it even came out?) not because it's a bonus, it's because it actually finishes what they were suppose to do in the first place.

cajunator

Banned
You seriously can't defend the state they released the Negima movie in cinemas.... 45 minutes long and the BR is going to have an additional 40 minutes IIRC... (has it even came out?) not because it's a bonus, it's because it actually finishes what they were suppose to do in the first place.

Negima is not worth defending.

Thoraxes

Oh wow, I did run into you!

No, awful joke. Please don't think I use memes.

Some guy ahead of me to the side was wearing a wide brimmed hat. I didn't really understand how people could be so inconsiderate, but I guess there's always new ground for that.
Haha.

Also, ahh man, that sucks. People do the weirdest shit in theaters.

In retrospect, besides the laughing, it seems the audience at my theater was relatively tame compared to yours.
Yeah. They had some weird times/types of reactions to a few things. It kinda took me out of the moment a few times.

Grzi

Hunter X Hunter - 52

kLwkQ.png

This was great, although I agree that the original series did it a bit better, we could blame that on the fact that it was the last episode of the TV series and they wanted to go out on a bang. I expect this to keep delivering.

Can't wait for next week, this became one of my most anticipated shows.

Uchip

Banned
Hunter X Hunter - 52

This was great, although I agree that the original series did it a bit better, we could blame that on the fact that it was the last episode of the TV series and they wanted to go out on a bang. I expect this to keep delivering.

Can't wait for next week, this became one of my most anticipated shows.

the colour palette is probably the biggest offset for me
compare that image to the original
Its not as intense when everything is brighter than a mario game

I find it amazing that many of you folks got the chance to see the Madoka films before me. The limited nature of the release here in Japan is kind of mind blowing.

Not a single showing in Nagasaki prefecture. Nadda. Zip. Hahahaha.

BluWacky

(Even though I consider Giant Robo total ridiculous cheese, I wonder if there's a valid reading of it as a metaphor for the postwar reconstruction, and Japan forgetting about what it did during wartime. That reading probably is either completely unrelated or actively counter to the character drama at the core, but whatever.)

This is an absolutely valid reading of the show IMO. It's not subtitled "The Day The Earth Stood Still" for nothing.

Grzi

the colour palette is probably the biggest offset for me
compare that image to the original
Its not as intense when everything is brighter than a mario game

Yeah, that's true, I already mentioned in my comment on the last episode that the only aspect where the original truly beats the remake is the color palette (and the opening).

Thoraxes

What do you mean? There are no story alterations or additions?

There are a few additions, but not a ton. Lots of cuts though in the first movie which I think covers episodes 1-8 (which are good). Second movie feels like too little material stretched out to fit a longer time period. Maybe like 10-20 mins too much.

Honestly the bigger reason to get it is the new VA-work and cleaned up animation. They weren't kidding in the welcome message that they tried harder to bring the characters to life through their voice acting. It was a lot more nuanced and grounded in character than I remember.

What do you mean? There are no story alterations or additions?

From what I've heard, very little is different in terms of content. The films are long as hell and have plenty of time to accomodate for nearly the entirety of the series, give or take a few cuts here and there. The third movie is where you'll be getting nothing but new story etc.

EDIT: ^What Thoraxes said. Lol.

cajunator

Banned
Cajunator, you are many things, but poor is not one of them. Don't even try Mr. I Have Gigabit Internet.

Internet poor and location poor are different things.
Superfast internet is hella great but it wont get you real friends or bring you places.
To be quite honest I wish I had more friends to share anime with.
Right now the only people i can watch with are my roommates and a friend of mine who was so broke that I bought him a pair of shoes so he could get a restaurant job.

Superfast internet is hella great but it wont get you real friends or bring you places.
Right now the only people i can watch with are my roommates and a friend of mine who was so broke that I bought him a pair of shoes so he could get a restaurant job.

I wouldn't want to watch anime with anyone else. Well besides some shonen ones with my lil bro.

Brazil

Living in the shadow of Amaz

You're awesome.

I wouldn't want to watch anime with anyone else. Well besides some shonen ones with my lil bro.

Watching anime with a group of friends back in the high school days was fun. It's an interesting experience.

cajunator

Banned
You're awesome.

I dont mind helping people if they also help themselves.
He needed the non slip shoes and he got the job.
He is willing to work and had to sell half his anime collection to make ends meet.
If there is any way I could help make his life a bit easiier I was glad to do it.
Especially a fellow anime fan and artist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom