• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 GOTY Edition huge reduction

Just a quick heads up for my fellow gaffers, Fallout 4 GoTY edition is on sale over on Steam.

The Game of the Year edition features the Far Harbor and Nuka World DLC, as well as a ton of other stuff, and it's listed at £8:74, and the individual DLC content is also reduced by quite a bit.

That's a phenomenal price for such a large amount of content.

So, if you still haven't played the game yet, or have it but want to get the DLC dirt cheap, there's never been a better time.

It's too good a deal to ignore.

(23rd Oct) Edit: FO4 GOTY is also available on the ps store and Xbox marketplace for a similar price as part of a Halloween sale.

IDKFA and AdamsApple brought this to my attention so I've amended to thread.

Last edited:

Soodanim

Gold Member
Hell of a bargain.

Don't sleep on the modding community, either. It's still going, and Nexus Mods has some good stuff that can alleviate many concerns about the gameplay or UI. You can remove the protag voice and turn it back into 3 style dialogue selection and replace the levelling system with 3's stats and perks.

Hell of a bargain.

Don't sleep on the modding community, either. It's still going, and Nexus Mods has some good stuff that can alleviate many concerns about the gameplay or UI. You can remove the protag voice and turn it back into 3 style dialogue selection and replace the levelling system with 3's stats and perks.
Definitely, it has some great mods and is still thriving 7 or so years later.

German Hops

GAF's Nicest Lunch Thief
XHHY.gif

JOEVIAL

Has a voluptuous plastic labia
Great game! Definitely Bethesdas most detailed and enthralling world. Incredibly fun to explore and see all the attention to detail in nearly every corner of the map.

I personally enjoy games that reward exploration, and Fallout 4 is one of the best in this category. Bethesda Softworks are masters at world building 👍

From a story standpoint, I only play as the good guy/paragon. So I didn’t care that about the lack of branching choices, and moral ambiguity.

With that said, I really like the sarcastic dialogue options in Fallout 4 because you’re still pretty much the good guy with those dialogue options.

Anywho… play Fallout 4 if you want a comfy type of game 👍

Puscifer

Great game that got poo poo'ed by babies, and at that price it's an absolute steal.
I was fine with it till suddenly the game said "lol now you have to grind the game for materials to teleport to your dad!" They can seriously fuck off with that.

It's like with Assassin's Creed 2 told me to go build a map to finish the story, I quit an hour into it because screw wasting my time. Figure out how to pace your story without forcing me into a collectathon.

Last edited:
Good price, but goddamn this game gets boring. The base building was shit, constantly having to micro manage settlements with no real payoff.

Probably the only mod that I could not do without. Well, unofficial patch too but that's a given in any Bethesda RPG.

Last edited:
Good price, but goddamn this game gets boring. The base building was shit, constantly having to micro manage settlements with no real payoff. The switch to voice acting for the playable character was so bad too.
The game is a mess on so many levels (obviously).
I mean, you don't really have to get involved in the base building aspect if you don't want to.

Great game! Definitely Bethesdas most detailed and enthralling world. Incredibly fun to explore and see all the attention to detail in nearly every corner of the map.

I personally enjoy games that reward exploration, and Fallout 4 is one of the best in this category. Bethesda Softworks are masters at world building 👍

From a story standpoint, I only play as the good guy/paragon. So I didn’t care that about the lack of branching choices, and moral ambiguity.

With that said, I really like the sarcastic dialogue options in Fallout 4 because you’re still pretty much the good guy with those dialogue options.

Anywho… play Fallout 4 if you want a comfy type of game 👍
I agree, I think it's great fun to just wander the wasteland and see who you bump into.

Remember, the boy in the fridge?

Last edited:
Was about to reprimand you, but then I saw your handle and I realized the futility of it all.

Fallout 4 is an ok game.

It's also a bad rpg and a terrible Fallout title.
I agree with you but...

My playtime:

Fallout New Vegas: 166 hours
Fallout 4: 623 hours

New vegas may be the better RPG. But the open world sandbox in fallout 4 is more fun. And that's what Bethesda is good at.

Last edited:

BlueLyria

A warning for any of you who decide to get this game to play around with mods.
Modding F4 is messy. Messier than Skyrim, the base game quality is also lower than base Skyrim.

StereoVsn

It's an Ok game that is significantly better with some mods. As nd by some I mean like 200-300 mod modlist collections from Wabberjack or Nexus. 😉

StereoVsn

A warning for any of you who decide to get this game to play around with mods.
Modding F4 is messy. Messier than Skyrim, the base game quality is also lower than base Skyrim.
It's worse vs Skyrim SE but better vs OG Skyrim. Wabberjack also solves a lot of hard work in modding now days. So do Nexus collections.

Unless you have to have some mods not in a particular collection and even then you can usually take out stuff you don't want and can add other mods (as long as you know what you are doing with Bethesda modding).

BlueLyria

It's worse vs Skyrim SE but better vs OG Skyrim. Wabberjack also solves a lot of hard work in modding now days. So do Nexus collections.

Unless you have to have some mods not in a particular collection and even then you can usually take out stuff you don't want and can add other mods (as long as you know what you are doing with Bethesda modding).
Oh absolutely, Skyrim OG is probably one of the worst modding experiences.
F4's issues come down to mostly it being less popular, with means there's less resources to get into it, and as I didn't start modding it until way later in it's life, I really don't know about a lot of the staple mods, like the keyword collections (that's a me problem tbh), but also the creation engine was pushed a lot in F4 so it feels less stable than Skyrim SE

cash_longfellow

Gold Member
Played through the bugs at launch 5/10. Played through again a couple of years later after the fixes, 7/10. Just not a very good game. It’s cool if you want to just zone out and get lost in an empty world and pick everything up, but the game is just not good….and especially as a Fallout title.

Edit - To add though, nothing wrong with jumping in at that price point at all!

Last edited:

MidGenRefresh

*Refreshes biennially
I’ve started a new character 2 months ago and sunken another 70+ hours into this game. Like others have said, it’s not really an RPG. It’s an exploration game.

For maximum enjoyment make sure to play at survival difficulty. A lot of game mechanics that are useless on normal settings become critical in this mode. Also, don’t fast travel. Map is actually not that big and some of the best moments happen when you’re just wandering around. I always wear gear that increases your speed. Stack 4-5 pieces of gear with legendary effect of 10% speed increase and you’ll be running like Flash.

Soodanim

Gold Member

QFT as I doubt too many know about this.

Wabbajack, and more recently Nexus Mods' Collections feature, are pre-made mod packs. Wabbajack in particular being full of fully maintained and tested mod lists. The result is that the user doesn't have to do anything but install the Wabbajack pack and follow instructions. All of the hard work is done for you.

Something like FUSION would be recommended for newcomers, but look around for yourselves.

Played through the bugs at launch 5/10. Played through again a couple of years later after the fixes, 7/10. Just not a very good game. It’s cool if you want to just zone out and get lost in an empty world and pick everything up, but the game is just not good….and especially as a Fallout title.

Edit - To add though, nothing wrong with jumping in at that price point at all!
I agree it was quite buggy for a time, but I don't necessarily agree it's an "empty world".

It's full of random incidents, hidden areas, combat scenarios etc...

Top Bottom