• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

[Fallout 4] Modding "Fallout 4". Mods and discussion within

His texture is way better than vanilla.

vNAb.png

wNAb.png

xNAb.png

yNAb.png
Is his texture even PBR?

Is his texture even PBR?

Wow, looks great! An interesting comment from the author of that mod when asked by another member how the new PBR pipeline changed the author's approach to texturing: "I've been authoring my textures as PBR since around summer 2014 when we moved to Unreal 4 at work, so no change there. I'm definitely glad they improved the shaders though I wish they would have gone with a full PBR implementation instead of the halfway thing they've got going now."

I guess that would make sense since their PBR implementation doesn't look as good as many other developers'. Can't wait for more of these sharp texture mods.

^^^^ Those look awesome. Does the grass 'grow' in in the distance as you walk toward it? It looks nonexistent in the distance.

This actually looks super great. How much of an additional load on the GPU is it?

It doesn't seem to be too much additional load. There are a few more FPS dips down into the 50s than there used to be, but it's still really playable. The biggest problem seems to be from the touch of green mod, as it can cause some stuttering when loading areas. It's a bug that the creator is supposedly working on, so hopefully it will get resolved soon, but even still I don't feel like it really hurts the game for me (as it's pretty jank on it's own anyway).

Edit:

Have you guys forgot that Hiroshima & Nagasaki do exist?
Hiroshima & Nagasaki, then & now.
It's not even a 100 years since the bombing.

Even though that's a better example of how the world would realistically react after a nuclear bomb, I've always wished Fallout would go with the aesthetic of another nuclear disaster, Chernobyl. I was really hoping that setting it in Boston would give them an excuse to move away from the atomic desert wasteland aesthetic to something more like the overgrown forests and rotting city of Pripyat. Yes it's still not realistic for 200 years after the war, but I think it's a touch more realistic than everything being dead, and it still fits in with the overall look of Fallout while still giving us a bit of variation.

Pripyat-Abandoned-Amusement-Park.jpg

MM7291-050601-11590.jpg

Spyware

I thought the orange/brown look was mostly due to it being fall (late October) in game. A nice excuse to not have leaves and grass everywhere eating the FPS :p

I'm using "A Little Bit of Green" since this morning tho and really like it. I really disliked the two mods it's based on but it fixed everything that I found wrong with them.

Looks amazing. Performance impact?

I wasn't really taking notes but I think it performed about the same. I never really look at the FPS counter =(

Is there freecam available through console commands or is it coded by you?

Yeah.

"TFF" = enables freecam
"TFC 1" = freezes game and enables freecam

"TFC" again to turn it off

"tm" = toggle HUD

EDIT: beaten at the exact same time, lol

I can't get any mods to work. I have the two .ini changes made and I've installed the mods through Nexus Mod Manager. The manager has put the files in the data folder. But nothing in game.

Seyavesh

"TFF" = enables freecam
"TFC 1" = freezes game and enables freecam

"TFC" again to turn it off

"tm" = toggle HUD

EDIT: beaten at the exact same time, lol

have you figured out how to stop guns from vibrating and shit in TFC mode?
it's insanely irritating when taking pics- i keep tryin' to take shots of millenia's shotgun retexture and end up getting blurry stuff because only the gun seems to wildly vibrate when in tfc 1 mode

i've got motion blur off so i don't think it's that, but it sure looks a lot like it

It's like there was a country around hiroshima and nagasaki that rebuilt those places.

And like those bombs are equivalent to the smallest nuclear weapons we have around.

What rebuilt? Aren't we talking about the greens mod?
Those chernobyl pictures are just another proof that green plants do exist and live in heavily radiated areas.

Denzar

Anybody know if there's a cigar/cigarette smoking mod?

My character desperately needs a big cigar in his mouth at all times!

If not, somebody get to it!

Haunted

Fallout flora always took more inspiration from the endless desert aesthetic in the later Mad Max movies instead of the classic "nature retakes civilisation" aesthetic, which would probably be more realistic given the locations of Fallout 3 and 4.

Well, that and that their worlds generally look closer to 200 days after nuclear war instead of 200 years.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
So how prominent was save file corruption with Snip-made mods in Skyrin? Im getting oaranoid now, and aparently I cant even stop using the mod now and be good because if it happens it doesnt matter if you uninstall the mod or something.

I guess if that happens thats one way to make me stop playing the game >_>

It doesn't seem to be too much additional load. There are a few more FPS dips down into the 50s than there used to be, but it's still really playable. The biggest problem seems to be from the touch of green mod, as it can cause some stuttering when loading areas. It's a bug that the creator is supposedly working on, so hopefully it will get resolved soon, but even still I don't feel like it really hurts the game for me (as it's pretty jank on it's own anyway).

Edit:

Even though that's a better example of how the world would realistically react after a nuclear bomb, I've always wished Fallout would go with the aesthetic of another nuclear disaster, Chernobyl. I was really hoping that setting it in Boston would give them an excuse to move away from the atomic desert wasteland aesthetic to something more like the overgrown forests and rotting city of Pripyat. Yes it's still not realistic for 200 years after the war, but I think it's a touch more realistic than everything being dead, and it still fits in with the overall look of Fallout while still giving us a bit of variation.

Pripyat-Abandoned-Amusement-Park.jpg

MM7291-050601-11590.jpg

I personally hate those post-apocalyptic settings that imply a decreasing population of humans; they suit the "humans are almost extinct as a result of a disaster/disease". A heavy nuclear fallout that fucked temperatures and gene pools is possible and I prefer it in the case of Fallout.

I do appreciate games like Crysis 2/3 and the last of us, but I prefer Fallout's aesthetics even if they are unrealistic; they suit Fallout's story more.

It is pretty obvious that if there are giant animals living out there, bigger and stronger than before, then plants would be 100% alive as well. But you know how it is, someone makes the first entry in a dessert setting (that was a dessert before), and then that becomes the trademark look.

Dead bodies seem to be colliding for me fine without the mod?

I believe (but I'm not sure) it reduces the weight of heavy creatures only so they flop around like monsters in Dark Souls (description on the Nexus page).

Makes it more unrealistic but fun (for some folks).

Hey GAF,

Im thinking about getting into modding with Fallout 4. Im a software developer and modding should include some programming stuff for me.

Can anyone summarize whats possible and whats not possible in terms of "reprogramming" stuff in fo4 like enemy combat behaviour. I think the script extender is most important tool for me?

"Fallout" is an aesthetic, not science. I don't give a shit about what would have actually happened. There wouldn't be a breed of 2 headed cows that would survive and procreate, bugs wouldn't grow to huge sizes without other physiological changes, untended to wooden structures wouldn't stay standing 200 years later, and you couldn't dump a half full magazine from a gun while reloading and have half the bullets magically go into your inventory.

There's a billion things one could jimmy up for why the wasteland's dead. They could say the dust knocked up into the air cooled the planet to a terminal fall/winter. They could say the dust is obfuscating the UV rays that react with green chlorophyll so only the plants that were a deeper shade of brown were able to survive with the rays that made it through the ionosphere. They could say all of the humans that survived had the rods and cones in their eyes permanently altered to not absorb the colour green.

It's irrelevant to me and irrelevant to creating the mood that is Fallout. It's not Last of Us/Enslaved style post apocalypse where the plants took over and nature is finding its own way. It's the mood of humans completely sabotaging their own planet until there is nothing but death and desolation with only glimmers of hope here and there. That's the look of Fallout.

Under that aesthetic, I think it would be cool to have little glimmers of life happening around the edges. But mostly, I would just like to add a bit of variance to the staging to give each wasteland area something more it can be identified with. Additionally, give a little bit of systemic reward for having people move into your settlement. Give a personification of "life" to the area from the environment. Make it look like you're doing some good. God knows the settlement stuff seems to exist as a complete adjunct to the story, gameplay systems, and themes of the entire game.

This is why I'm torn on how I'll play the game when I finally get the PC version. On the one hand, I appreciate the realism some of thse mods can add. On the other, Fallout takes place in an entirely different universe from ours (the nuclear winter effect doesn't exist, for instance), so I don't mind them overplaying the destruction aspect.

I wouldn't mind a little more vegetation, though. Maybe add leaves to the trees, but make 'em grey like the grass.

heringer

The problem with grass mods is that they can't change the aesthetics enough to convey a lush post apocaliptic world like The Last of Us or Crysis. It just... adds regular grass. You won't see mother nature taking over buildings, structures and interiors like you would expect from this particular aesthetic.

Jedi2016

I think the only ones I have going so far are the Pip-Boy shadows, the one that kills the fake skybox lighting on interiors, and the new shotgun texture. Oh, and the dialog interface fix, that's pretty much an automatic. I actually haven't really tried the game out with most of these yet, though, I've been busy with other games.

GavinUK86

I think the only ones I have going so far are the Pip-Boy shadows, the one that kills the fake skybox lighting on interiors, and the new shotgun texture. Oh, and the dialog interface fix, that's pretty much an automatic. I actually haven't really tried the game out with most of these yet, though, I've been busy with other games.

Heres mine. Then theres a couple textures i installed before it had mod manager support.
KZAb.png

Nice.

Here's what I'm using at the moment.

untitledzcruh.jpg

Spyware

So what's everyone's installed mods list look like so far? As long as Skyrim's yet? lol

Of course not even close. :p
I refuse to use .esp mods until the official tools come out and I know people make them without the problematic programs, so I'm only using the Full Dialogue Mod, some sounds and texture replacements. I've also done my own recolors of other mods to suit my game better.
My fav retexes so far are Old Dogmeat, A Little Bit of Green, Patch Job and Man Fur ;D

Top Bottom