• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 next gen update out April 25th also PC ultrawide and more

May as well post the whole thing lol

Patch Notes

New Creation Club Content Free for Everyone
Enclave Remnants

Some say the past is a scar, cut across the skin of the Commonwealth. Others believe it's a scab clotted over an unhealed wound. Those who fought the Enclave, and those who serve them subscribe to the latter. And when the scab is broken the flag of this old-world cabal will once more stand at full mast. Unless of course, you stop them first. Features the classic Enclave Colonel uniform and over a dozen workshop items! If you have other Enclave creations installed, some of these troops may use this equipment against you!

(Quest "Echoes of the Past" starts on the road north of Saugus Ironworks.)

Armor and Weapon bundle

• X-02 Power Armor
  • Hellfire Power Armor
  • Heavy Incinerator
  • Tesla Cannon
  • Enclave Weapon Skins
  • Enclave Armor Skins

Makeshift Weapon Pack

Whether it be grenades or piggy banks, there's no shortage of objects you can transform into murderous projectiles with this collection of unique weapons. Included are two grenade launchers, a Nail Gun, Baseball Launcher, Saw Blade launcher, and piggy bank based weaponry.

(Quest "When Pigs Fly" starts at a merchant workshop northwest of Greenetech Genetics.)

Halloween Workshop

On the eve of the end, the New England Technocrat Society has thrown a spooky Halloween gala for anyone with the nerve to attend. Drop in on this fa-boo-lous pumpkin-lit soiree replete with witches, cauldrons, and ghouls, and unlock 38 new spine-tingling Halloween props to decorate your settlement! Includes new wearables, such as the iconic De-Capitalist helmet!

(Quest "All Hallow's Eve" starts by tuning into the Mysterious Signal on your Pip-Boy.)

Changes and New Features

• Native PS5 and Xbox Series applications. Includes performance and quality mode options.
  • Performance mode: 60 FPS target, 4k resolution, standard settings, relying on dynamic resolution scaling.
  • Quality mode: 30 FPS*, 4k resolution, ultra settings, should not require dynamic resolution scaling.
    *When connected to a 120Hz display, Quality mode will target 40 FPS.
    *When connected to a 1440p display, the title will run at 1440p resolution at 60 FPS w/ ultra settings regardless of rendering mode
  • Release on Epic Store.
  • Widescreen and Ultra-widescreen support.
  • Steam Deck Verified
  • 9 Free Creation Club Items. Enclave Remnants (New!), Enclave Weapon Skins, Enclave Armor Skins, Tesla Cannon, Hellfire Power Armor, X-02 Power Armor, Heavy Incinerator, Halloween Workshop (New!), Makeshift Weapon Pack (New!).
  • Added "Installed Content" menu.

Bug Fixes

• Resolved issues preventing Japanese and Chinese users from connecting to Bethesda.net (this restores access to Mods).
  • Resolved issue preventing save data from properly loading during the prologue.
  • Resolved issue that could prevent the Vault 111 Door from opening on new games.
  • Resolved issue that could prevent the quest "Go Home" from advancing.
  • Resolved issue that could result in Codsworth being broken on the ground after fast traveling.
  • Resolved issue with mipmaps in DLC.
  • Resolved issue that could result in a softlock when in dialogue with Prestson Garvey.
  • Resolved issue preventing autosaves while fast traveling in Power Armor.
  • Fixed issue where text would occasionally disappear in the Creation Club menu.
  • Resolved issues with text formatting in the credits in Japanese and Chinese.
  • Resolved issue causing the camera to fail when leaving furniture after an extended time.
  • Fixed issue that could misplace quest markers while the VR Workshop Creation was installed alongside Automatron.
  • Resolved issue with player movement in some underwater areas at Thicket Excavations.
  • Resolved issue that could cause corruption within the Settlement system resulting in wrong resource counts and/or destroyed settlements.
  • Resolved issue where the "Level Up" notification would display even if there was not a level up available.
  • Fixed some flickering in Vault 111.
  • Stability improvements.

PC Only

• Resolved issue preventing saves being made under Windows Usernames with Cyrillic, Chinese, or Japanese characters.

Creation Kit

• Removed non-functional "Hot Load" button. Removed non-functional "Material Editor" button.
  • Editor IDs longer than 99 characters will no longer crash the editor.
  • Resolved crash that could occur while viewing a quest's Objectives tab.
  • Resolved hang that could occur while adding a reference to a layer.

TVexperto

May as well post the whole thing lol

Patch Notes

New Creation Club Content Free for Everyone
Enclave Remnants

Some say the past is a scar, cut across the skin of the Commonwealth. Others believe it's a scab clotted over an unhealed wound. Those who fought the Enclave, and those who serve them subscribe to the latter. And when the scab is broken the flag of this old-world cabal will once more stand at full mast. Unless of course, you stop them first. Features the classic Enclave Colonel uniform and over a dozen workshop items! If you have other Enclave creations installed, some of these troops may use this equipment against you!

(Quest "Echoes of the Past" starts on the road north of Saugus Ironworks.)

Armor and Weapon bundle

• X-02 Power Armor
  • Hellfire Power Armor
  • Heavy Incinerator
  • Tesla Cannon
  • Enclave Weapon Skins
  • Enclave Armor Skins

Makeshift Weapon Pack

Whether it be grenades or piggy banks, there's no shortage of objects you can transform into murderous projectiles with this collection of unique weapons. Included are two grenade launchers, a Nail Gun, Baseball Launcher, Saw Blade launcher, and piggy bank based weaponry.

(Quest "When Pigs Fly" starts at a merchant workshop northwest of Greenetech Genetics.)

Halloween Workshop

On the eve of the end, the New England Technocrat Society has thrown a spooky Halloween gala for anyone with the nerve to attend. Drop in on this fa-boo-lous pumpkin-lit soiree replete with witches, cauldrons, and ghouls, and unlock 38 new spine-tingling Halloween props to decorate your settlement! Includes new wearables, such as the iconic De-Capitalist helmet!

(Quest "All Hallow's Eve" starts by tuning into the Mysterious Signal on your Pip-Boy.)

Changes and New Features

• Native PS5 and Xbox Series applications. Includes performance and quality mode options.
  • Performance mode: 60 FPS target, 4k resolution, standard settings, relying on dynamic resolution scaling.
  • Quality mode: 30 FPS*, 4k resolution, ultra settings, should not require dynamic resolution scaling.
    *When connected to a 1440p display, the title will run at 1440p resolution at 60 FPS w/ ultra settings regardless of rendering mode
  • Release on Epic Store.
  • Widescreen and Ultra-widescreen support.
  • Steam Deck Verified
  • 9 Free Creation Club Items. Enclave Remnants (New!), Enclave Weapon Skins, Enclave Armor Skins, Tesla Cannon, Hellfire Power Armor, X-02 Power Armor, Heavy Incinerator, Halloween Workshop (New!), Makeshift Weapon Pack (New!).
  • Added "Installed Content" menu.

Bug Fixes

• Resolved issues preventing Japanese and Chinese users from connecting to Bethesda.net (this restores access to Mods).
  • Resolved issue preventing save data from properly loading during the prologue.
  • Resolved issue that could prevent the Vault 111 Door from opening on new games.
  • Resolved issue that could prevent the quest "Go Home" from advancing.
  • Resolved issue that could result in Codsworth being broken on the ground after fast traveling.
  • Resolved issue with mipmaps in DLC.
  • Resolved issue that could result in a softlock when in dialogue with Prestson Garvey.
  • Resolved issue preventing autosaves while fast traveling in Power Armor.
  • Fixed issue where text would occasionally disappear in the Creation Club menu.
  • Resolved issues with text formatting in the credits in Japanese and Chinese.
  • Resolved issue causing the camera to fail when leaving furniture after an extended time.
  • Fixed issue that could misplace quest markers while the VR Workshop Creation was installed alongside Automatron.
  • Resolved issue with player movement in some underwater areas at Thicket Excavations.
  • Resolved issue that could cause corruption within the Settlement system resulting in wrong resource counts and/or destroyed settlements.
  • Resolved issue where the "Level Up" notification would display even if there was not a level up available.
  • Fixed some flickering in Vault 111.
  • Stability improvements.

PC Only

• Resolved issue preventing saves being made under Windows Usernames with Cyrillic, Chinese, or Japanese characters.

Creation Kit

• Removed non-functional "Hot Load" button. Removed non-functional "Material Editor" button.
  • Editor IDs longer than 99 characters will no longer crash the editor.
  • Resolved crash that could occur while viewing a quest's Objectives tab.
  • Resolved hang that could occur while adding a reference to a layer.
They worked for 2 years on this?! LMAO wtf

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Quality mode: 30 FPS*, 4k resolution, ultra settings, should not require dynamic resolution scaling.

The 40hz support is nice.

uh ... this seems like a downgrade?

I can already run FO4 at 60 FPS with PC ultra equivalent settings with a simple mod on Series X, without DRS. It runs the One X codebase which is already native 4K too.

251JQjU.jpeg

Last edited:

intbal

When connected to a 120Hz display, Quality mode will target 40 FPS.

Uh...
My 120hz display is 1440p.
Does that mean I can't get the 40FPS mode?

What if I want it just for testing purposes?

Last edited:
The difference is so clear on the PS5 version when you go to settings, go to display, and turn on performance mode during a game. Switch between the settings quickly and it's night and day.

lh032

I cry about Xbox and hate PlayStation.
Performance mode: 60 FPS target, 4k resolution, standard settings, relying on dynamic resolution scaling

fuck my life fml GIF

Update is weird on Steam Deck. I can't see anywhere to adjust the graphics settings as the display menu and the boot up doesn't show the windowed graphics menu anymore.

It looks like a 30fps lock on Steam Deck though from the couple minutes I played.

Update is weird on Steam Deck. I can't see anywhere to adjust the graphics settings as the display menu and the boot up doesn't show the windowed graphics menu anymore.

It looks like a 30fps lock on Steam Deck though from the couple minutes I played.
Yeah, they removed the launcher in order to get Steam Deck approved, I think, but then removing the launcher means you can't change the settings anymore. Lol.

Braag

Comparing this to The Witcher 3 next gen version is hilarious. TW3 added ray tracing and a whole lot of new features for free.
Bethesda lost to TW3 back in 2015 and yet again with their next gen versions.

Pelao

I tested it on PS5 to the point where I could fire a gun. Zero use of adaptive triggers and haptics beyond the basic vibration that was already there, and worse resolution than the Xbox One version modded on Series X.
Also, the Xbox version automatically upgraded to the Series X version due to Microsoft's stupid “Smart” delivery system, so I don't have access to that now either.
Thank you, Bethesda and Microsoft. Thanks for upgrading my game to a worse experience. Great job, guys.

Last edited:

adamsapple

I tested it on PS5 to the point where I could fire a gun. Zero use of adaptive triggers and haptics beyond the basic vibration that was already there, and worse resolution than the Xbox One version modded on Series X.
Also, the Xbox version automatically upgraded to the Series X version due to Microsoft's stupid “Smart” delivery system, so I don't have access to that now either.
Thank you, Bethesda and Microsoft. Thanks for upgrading my game to a worse experience. Great job, guys.

Should've disabled auto game-updates from the system settings. That's what I did and I plan to keep it that way lol.

SaiyanRaoh

I'm not expert modder but I have my Fallout 4 Mods right where I want them. I made the "appmanifest_377160.acf" file read only and I selected "Only update this game when I launch it" in the Fallout settings on Steam. I even made a backup of the FO4 install directory, just in case.

After the update went live, I made sure my mods still worked in MO2 and they do. Now I want to keep them that way. I noticed that in some peoples FO4 mod configurations that they somehow have a copy of their FO4 in their Mod Organizer 2 folder. Can I do this to mine and keep my mods post update because in Steam my "PLAY" button on steam now says "UPDATE".

Reinstalling is out of the question but I still have the original install and a copy of it. I've spent a while modding this and I don't want to lose it. Thanks

Do you have OLED model? Have you changed the INI settings before? If so it looks like the update just overwrote the settings and brought back the bug that halves the frame rate.
Yeah I have the OLED model. I went to desktop mode and forced the launcher to mess around with settings but it made no difference. The .ini must be fucked because the game feels like 30 and when I checked the performance the display was showing 90fps. I dropped it to 30 within Steam OS and it felt like 15 so it makes sense.

Yeah I have the OLED model. I went to desktop mode and forced the launcher to mess around with settings but it made no difference. The .ini must be fucked because the game feels like 30 and when I checked the performance the display was showing 90fps. I dropped it to 30 within Steam OS and it felt like 15 so it makes sense.
The fps definitely feels like 30.

intbal

It’s a shame utility and QOL mods like fov changes disable achievements.
That's why FOV should officially be added to the game.
I guess they don't want people to make certain things easier.
But the default FOV is way too claustrophobic for good gameplay.
They should at least allow a setting to 90.

Cyberpunkd

Check the Reddit for solution for oled bug, you changed the wrong Pref ini file. It seems the update overwrote the changes and we are back to the start.

Stafford

Maybe it's just me but why in the first place does a game this old even need a quality and performance mode? And I always welcome 40fps modes, but again, a game this old on hardware like XSX and PS5.....why can't it easily be 60fps for quality mode?

It seems pretty clear a 40fps mode for Starfield was never gonna happen, let alone 60fps.

adamsapple

Maybe it's just me but why in the first place does a game this old even need a quality and performance mode? And I always welcome 40fps modes, but again, a game this old on hardware like XSX and PS5.....why can't it easily be 60fps for quality mode?

It seems pretty clear a 40fps mode for Starfield was never gonna happen, let alone 60fps.

If they're adding a 40hz mode to this. I really hope this is a precursor to Starfield getting one too~

Check the Reddit for solution for oled bug, you changed the wrong Pref ini file. It seems the update overwrote the changes and we are back to the start.
Tried the Fallout4prefs.ini file like it said on Reddit but it doesn't work. No idea why. I didn't change graphics settings after amending the file so it shouldn't have reset.

Found out you can change graphics settings by adding the following in the command line.

SteamDeck=0 %command%

Hopefully Bethesda sort this out so that we can actually play the game how we want to without being forced to play at 30fps which is annoying.

Last edited:
Top Bottom