• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 next gen update out April 25th also PC ultrawide and more

Chuck Berry

Gold Member
On PS5 and performance mode on, whatever DRS is going on is minimal. It's got to be very close to native 4k. I'm only so far as the museum, but its great so far. Draw distance etc is all very good. No need at all for VRR so far.

Also theres some other improvements going on here. For example the terminal text speeds I'm sure are much quicker. I'm loving this version.

See this is what I wanna read. Gracias

RJMacready73

Simps for Amouranth
Bethesda are an absolute shower of bastards forcing those of us who have the PS+ version to pay for these minimal upgrades...

Tried the Fallout4prefs.ini file like it said on Reddit but it doesn't work. No idea why. I didn't change graphics settings after amending the file so it shouldn't have reset.

Found out you can change graphics settings by adding the following in the command line.

SteamDeck=0 %command%

Hopefully Bethesda sort this out so that we can actually play the game how we want to without being forced to play at 30fps which is annoying.
Yeah tried as well and it doesn’t work anymore. Permanently half frame rate.
Thanks Bethesda.

people is gettin it mixed up

theres alot of modes, but only at 1440p60 will it looks better than the old game. Ultra settings.
at 40 and 30 its ultra settings too.

4K60 is medium settings and same as last gen

Mr Moose

Game is buggy, crashed when I opened a door.
So according to this page, the 1.36 Fallout 4 update for the PS4 version makes it the native PS5 version:

https://mp1st.com/news/fallout-4-update-1-36-brings-free-ps5-xbox-series-xs-upgrade-heres-whats-new

"As promised by Bethesda, and thanks to the success of the Amazon Prime Fallout show, Fallout 4 update 1.36 has been released for the last-gen version of the game, and this updates the game to its native PS5 and Xbox Series X|S versions!"
PS5 version is 1.000.001. It's not the PS4 version.

Last edited:

Gusy

people is gettin it mixed up

theres alot of modes, but only at 1440p60 will it looks better than the old game. Ultra settings.
at 40 and 30 its ultra settings too.

4K60 is medium settings and same as last gen

How do you get the 1440p mode working on ps5?

Klik

I never actually played Fallout 4 (but i always kinda liked apocaliptic type of games). Im on PC..

Should i give it a try,since its like almost 10 years old game?

Last edited:

Alebrije

Offtopic:
Playing Stalker Shadows of Chernobyl on PS5 now, why this gem.never came to.consoles before? I have played all 3D fallouts and only New Vegas it's at the Quality level of Stalker Shadows of Chernobyl, honestly Stalker games deserves a remake/remaster versión.

Regarding Fallout 4 hope Sony/Bethesda fixes the patch for PS+ uses but if not better get Stalker if You want a different post nuclear experience.

Stafford

Why not? There is nothing about that engine that justifies it being locked to 30. With effort, I have little doubt they could get it to 60.

I believe Todd said they had it at 60fps, but not consistently and weren't willing to cut back on other stuff to make it consistent. I'm guessing it has to do with how every object that can be interacted with will always stay, no matter what? Such things they are hellbent on having in their games.

But I am not the right person to ask this to, haha.

Alebrije

I never actually played Fallout 4 (but i always kinda liked apocaliptic type of games). Im on PC..

It plays more like a shooter than a RPG. Don't look dated but never has been a deep.graphic Series like God of War by example. It just works.

Main plot/story is garage bit exploration a Old Harbor DLC are Nice.

Of You can get it cheap or are on Gamepass is a fun Game.

Haven't heard much about the PC updates outside of ultra wide support. I assume the PC version still breaks when played at more than 60fps?

Is weapon debris still broken for RTX users?

FunkMiller

Fallout experts: which mods are worth having for Ps5? I've done the most download texture pack and graphics one, but was wondering if there are any other must haves. I've never gone through the whole game before.

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Did they fix the mouse smoothing on PC? If there’s no raw input option then I’m not interested.
Haven't heard much about the PC updates outside of ultra wide support. I assume the PC version still breaks when played at more than 60fps?

Is weapon debris still broken for RTX users?
It's a joke, my dudes. Some ini tweaks, some changes for the worse, nothing PC-specific fixed whatsoever. Deck is also screwed without tinkering due to inability to launch the game launcher with graphical settings.

It's so typically Bethesda it hurts. Very, very low-effort.

kazooie___

Neo Member
What settings? I've seen a bunch of videos on performance for deck and it looks like a good 40fps or even 45fps game. Looks like it drops too frequently to run solid 60.
Antialiasing: FXAA (Low)
Anisotropic Filtering: Off
Texture: Ultra
Shadow Quality/Distance: Medium
Decal/Lighting: Ultra
Godrays: High
Depth of Field: Bokeh (Best quality)
Ambient Occlusion: Off

I don't use mods for what is worth.
6vUesod.jpeg

Soodanim

There's a lot to like. Bethesda make good worlds that are worth exploring. On PC you get access to all mods, and while to some that means changing the game drastically but to me it means enhancing the vanilla experience, UI, and general QoL.

It's the same engine (bar upgrades) as Skyrim, so if you've played that you know what to expect. If not, Bethesda's engine has its faults but it does persistence like no other engine out there.

FO4 as a game is less about roleplaying than the previous games because of the voiced protagonist. You don't really get to RP a character when you're stuck with the lines that have fixed delivery, but it's worth a playthrough and you do still get to make choices about your progression through the main story let alone everything else.

The main mods I go for on PC, and that I would recommend to a new user, would be a modern sort mod for the UI and turning the dialog from the poorly thought out 4 summarised options layout into a list of the actual lines said. The problem with mods right now is that any requiring the Script Extender (basically essential) will be broken until a new version of F4SE is released, so you would be a new user stuck choosing between waiting, going without, or getting into downgrade territory which isn't necessarily something I would recommend to someone who isn't familiar with the game, specifically with modding it.

If you're willing to wait a month or so, you will likely be able to get an updated version of F4SE, install Vortex as a mod manager, install this collection for the UI improvements and this for other basics, and after that pretty much get on with it.

Last edited:
Antialiasing: FXAA (Low)
Anisotropic Filtering: Off
Texture: Ultra
Shadow Quality/Distance: Medium
Decal/Lighting: Ultra
Godrays: High
Depth of Field: Bokeh (Best quality)
Ambient Occlusion: Off

I don't use mods for what is worth.
6vUesod.jpeg
That's not 90fps. That's 45fps with terrible frame pacing (you can tell because the frame time graph is going fucking wild). The engine cuts the framerate in half and there's only one way to fix it.

Cyberpunkd

Where do you put the created file and what kind of file does it need to be? I tried this out but it didn't work, so I must be doing something wrong.
You put it as given the instruction:

Create a file named /home/deck/fallout4.conf

If I remember correctly you need to toggle hidden files to see the /deck folder?

You put it as given the instruction:

Create a file named /home/deck/fallout4.conf

If I remember correctly you need to toggle hidden files to see the /deck folder?
OK just to confirm.

I created a txt file called /home/deck/fallout4.conf and inside that file I input the text provided. I saved the file inside the /home/deck directory and then input the command line within the steam properties launch commands. Launch the game and have the exact same issue regarding frame times and shit FPS lol.

Hemingwayoffbase

Gold Member
The patch notes say that quality mode has “ultra settings” and performance uses “standard settings.”

What’s the difference between “ultra” and “standard?”

Top Bottom