• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 next gen update out April 25th also PC ultrawide and more

ShaiKhulud1989

Gold Member
Unless my shit’s lying to me I’ve been playing at 120hz…I know the engine used to get completely stupid over 60 and that’s why I never figured out Skyrim VR, but it seems to be running totally fine at 120 for me
Some things tend to break slowly and eventually. For example my New Vegas game with 120fps started to noclip me through the floor randomly after 40 hours unless I limit my exe to 60 in Nvidia Control Panel.

Creation Engine. Creation Magic.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

The patch notes say that quality mode has “ultra settings” and performance uses “standard settings.”

What’s the difference between “ultra” and “standard?”
Fallout4202404252132.jpg

Fallout4202404252133.jpg

Cyberpunkd

Sone things tend to break slowly and eventually. For example my New Vegas game with 120fps started to noclip me through the floor randomly after 40 hours unless I limit my exe to 60 in Nvidia Control Panel.

Creation Engine. Creation Magic.
Hey, the engine was made for Morrowind. I think for ESVI everyone should start trolling Todd by asking him about Creation Engine.

MikeM

It does, looks nice too.

My impressions are that it's the same shit as version i tested few days ago. Pointless update on PC.

30fps lock, GPU is underutilized most of the time.
I’m getting a sweet 120fps on PC. 7600x/7900xt. You are not?

PS5 players - do we really need to disable 4K output in system settings to get access to the 1440p/60 Ultra mode? That's annoying if we have to do that every time we want to play.

StereoVsn

Real af. Double checked it a few times before posting.
F Bethesda and the horse they rode in. They broke bunch of mods, introduced crashes, forced potentially long delay of Fallout London for this low “effort” shitshow!?

Why even bother on PC side then? Thankfully I set it not to update and I can run Fallout through mod manager.

Tchu-Espresso

likes mayo on everthing and can't dance
I'm now in the slightly awkward position of having Fallout 4 PS4 version installed and this one downloading. I assume I'll be okay to delete the PS4 version. I'm running off a disc copy though. It's all strange.
I went from disc version to ps plus version and the save data didn’t transfer over.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
I've played less than an hour, just got to concord, and already had 3 crashes. It's really putting me off continuing.
todd-howard-howard.gif

Based on the shadow, I'm gonna guess the top version is the "quality" mode lol.

There doesn't seem to be any difference in IQ based on the pictures, they look like they're running at the exact same resolution.

I don't think I'll be updating the game any time soon lol.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Based on the shadow, I'm gonna guess the top version is the "quality" mode lol.

There doesn't seem to be any different in IQ based on the pictures, they look like they're running at the exact same resolution.

I don't think I'll be updating the game any time soon lol.
Yeah shadows and details in the distance. If I get closer to the building in front it goes darker inside, I think there's a roof so not sure why it's bright at a distance.

adamsapple

Yeah shadows and details in the distance. If I get closer to the building in front it goes darker inside, I think there's a roof so not sure why it's bright at a distance.

Is Quality 30/40hz? I saw a video on YT from someone checking the Xbox version and their graph showed the Quality mode at 60 as well (maybe they were running at 1440p)

What a shitty 'upgrade', spent all evening trying to fix it and it doesn't even look better lol.

Elder Scrolls VI is going to be a fucking bad joke isn't it?

adamsapple

Unless my shit’s lying to me I’ve been playing at 120hz…I know the engine used to get completely stupid over 60 and that’s why I never figured out Skyrim VR, but it seems to be running totally fine at 120 for me

I'm sure that must be your displays reading, the game itself isn't running at 120 fps, it's running at 40 fps on the 120hz display (at least going by the patch notes)

King Dazzar

I've played less than an hour, just got to concord, and already had 3 crashes. It's really putting me off continuing.

Yeah I played for about 5-10 minutes, opened a door and it crashed. I don't even like the game so I am fine waiting for patches.
Did you guys start on a brand new fresh save, with no mods installed at all? I'm assuming it was the PS5 version fresh install and then you didn't import any older saves or mess around with Creation Club content or mods?

Strange as I've played 2hrs, solely testing and had no issues at all. But the game can be sensitive to old saves after updates and/or changing mods.

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Did you guys start on a brand new fresh save, with no mods installed at all? I'm assuming it was the PS5 version fresh install and then you didn't import any older saves or mess around with Creation Club content or mods?

Strange as I've played 2hrs, solely testing and had no issues at all. But the game can be sensitive to old saves after updates and/or changing mods.
I imported PS4 saves, no mods. I loaded it again a bit ago and opened the same door, didn't crash.

King Dazzar

I imported PS4 saves, no mods. I loaded it again a bit ago and opened the same door, didn't crash.
Thanks mate. Yeah I wouldnt go near your PS4 saves. That gives me hope for a crash free experience. I'd also personally recommend not using sleep mode on the PS5 just while playing FO4. FO4 is more stable than Skyrim, but both are sensitive to any changes of data. And ideally should be started on a fresh save.

Last edited:

simpatico

Oh fuck I didn't have Fallout 4 downloaded...

Is there any way to not download the most recent version of a Steam game?

Dutchy

Poured 100 hours in this game after I finished the show. Today's update completely broke my save files on PC. Says they rely on content that is ''no longer present'' and then lists all of the DLC.

I have everything (re)installed, verified/repaired, all DLC is there and I have no mods enabled. Anyone got a clue?

Maybe it's because I have a headache today, because I have to scroll back and forth, or maybe I'm just blind but I can't tell a difference lol

I played a couple hours earlier today, and tried both modes and couldn't tell a difference then really either. The 120hz mode actually felt pretty good but since I couldn't tell a huge difference I just played in Performance mode.

Thaedolus

I'm sure that must be your displays reading, the game itself isn't running at 120 fps, it's running at 40 fps on the 120hz display (at least going by the patch notes)
Nah, this is Steam’s overlay on PC with a PC monitor. I’m not in 40hz mode, I can tell it’s running >100hz even without the overlay

Bojji

I’m getting a sweet 120fps on PC. 7600x/7900xt. You are not?

100-120fps on 3080ti/5800X3D

But game was exactly the same before the patch, on PC it's completely pointless. This patch brings real change only for PS5 users.

Mr Moose

Maybe it's because I have a headache today, because I have to scroll back and forth, or maybe I'm just blind but I can't tell a difference lol

I played a couple hours earlier today, and tried both modes and couldn't tell a difference then really either. The 120hz mode actually felt pretty good but since I couldn't tell a huge difference I just played in Performance mode.
Looks pretty much the same apart from AO/shadows and some objects looking a little better in the distance.
Edit: Slightly higher res in 40fps quality mode.

Last edited:

adamsapple

Nah, this is Steam’s overlay on PC with a PC monitor. I’m not in 40hz mode, I can tell it’s running >100hz even without the overlay

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about the console version. My bad.

No, it's definitely not you. Aside from the shadows it looks damn near identical. It doesn't even look like they're running at different resolutions, so it looks like they're both running at the same resolution (4K ?)

Debree / geometry etc all looks identical too.

YJ2Y1n1.png

Last edited:

Mr Moose

Oh sorry, I thought you were talking about the console version. My bad.

No, it's definitely not you. Aside from the shadows it looks damn near identical. It doesn't even look like they're running at different resolutions, so it looks like they're both running at the same resolution (4K ?)

Debree / geometry etc all looks identical too.

YJ2Y1n1.png
Can confirm the 60fps mode is lower res, it has the softer image overall. There's some distant detail on the wall showing on the 40fps mode. Wait let me fire up Paintshop.

Top Bottom