• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 |OT| Atom Bomb Baby

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raxus

Basically max out your relationship with a companion and anytime they're with you you'll benefit from their perk. The perks are only active with your current companion though, so you don't benefit from perks from companions you have parked in the settlements.

Untrue. If you check your stats log you see all the perks active for companions. For example, I still get Piper's 2x experience with other companions.

Zukuu

Banned
So for a few hours now I have been using just one outfit, the Spike Armor but lately I've been finding really good armor pieces that eventually provide me with better damage protection. But I need good clothing underneath. Any recommendations? There are some Raider leathers here and there but stats wise not too good. Where to find some good stuff?

These outfits where you can't use any armor pieces on sometimes look great, shame I can't put armor pieces on them. Will I get better stuff than Raider leathers and the Vault suit later on in terms of looks?

Apparently you can upgrade those underlayer armor to ridiculous levels (110 DR). I use "Dirty Army Fatigues" since they look the most decent.

Finalow

I just give up at trying to get happiness to 100. now at Sanctuary it dropped from 80 to 54 for no reason. probably bugged too? I don't know, fuck this.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.
holy shit Dunwich Borers you guys :eek: Enemies must have been quite high level too because even at 59 on very hard they were taking a bit to die, and giving alot of xp (im now 60 from it)

no actual quest there right? just the legendary dagger at the end?

Bathesda should maybe work on a horror game with some of the stuff they put in this game

Is there anything I'm missing? The Railroad has a shit ton of quests, while the brotherhood only has 2 repeatable quests +1 distress call thing. I don't see any advancement, do I need to do a few of those quests or is it locked by main mission progress?

Yeah, progressing the main story will add new missions to the various factions.

Raxus

I just give up at trying to get happiness to 100. now at Sanctuary it dropped from 80 to 54 for no reason. probably bugged too? I don't know, fuck this.

Did you build clinics, traders and other services and assign people to them? That raises happiness as well.

My experience with this game is made worse by the fact that my computer I'm playing this on is a bit dated now (it's a laptop to boot, so even worse) with a GTX 660M. I can play with OK performance on mostly Low settings but it really gets rather laggy when in some places. Especially the Corvega factory, was the laggiest location I have ever seen in the game.

Steejee

Untrue. If you check your stats log you see all the perks active for companions. For example, I still get Piper's 2x experience with other companions.

Really? I thought the popup had said they had to be 'near you' to benefit. That's...really weird if it's always active.

Kamina777

Banned
holy shit Dunwich Borers you guys :eek: Enemies must have been quite high level too because even at 59 on very hard they were taking a bit to die, and giving alot of xp (im now 60 from it)

Bathesda should maybe work on a horror game with some of the stuff they put in this game
Like a dummy i fell down the area where you get the dagger..in a power armor. Without saving..good times.

Good thing was i cleared mostly stealth the second time around.

75 hours and i completed the main quest. I actually enjoyed the story, some logical inconsistencies and other weird decisions aside. the overarching story could've used some tinkering but i definitely think the latter half of the main quest is much better than the beginning.

Better than 3 and skyrim by a decent amount for me. It's no New Vegas though and I never really expected it to be.

Finalow

- where do I find ammo for the Gauss rifle?

- not sure if it's worth spending 7 skill points (gun nuts 4 and science 3) in order to get the best upgrades for that rifle. or maybe I can get an upgraded version somewhere?

Mesoian

Apparently you can upgrade those underlayer armor to ridiculous levels (110 DR). I use "Dirty Army Fatigues" since they look the most decent.

...wait, how?

That place and the lighthouse were god damn tough. I was coasting through the game until I reached that place.

Lost a power armor frame there too...not happy about that. Thankfully all the armor pieces were broken so I got to keep them.

Beefy

- where do I find ammo for the Gauss rifle?

- not sure if it's worth spending 7 skill points (gun nuts 4 and science 3) in order to get the best upgrades for that rifle. or maybe I can get an upgraded version somewhere?

Armourer, Gun nut and Science makes your character op.

Nameless

So is there a soft cap at 50 where leveling slows down considerably? Or do you keep gaining levels and perks at the same rate?

Raxus

Really? I thought the popup had said they had to be 'near you' to benefit. That's...really weird if it's always active.

I still don't know the extent of it but I can say for certain Piper's 2x discover experience stayed long after I dismissed her for other companions. I am building relationships with others to see if this holds true. I am with MacCready right now and that will be pretty definitive if his perk sticks around.

So is there a soft cap at 50 where leveling slows down considerably? Or do you keep gaining levels and perks at the same rate?
Same rate more or less. I am level 51 now and about to hit 52. Nothing stops this train.
Armourer, Gun nut and Science makes your character op.
*Assuming you have guns compatible for taking full advantage of these perks. But yes.

Beefy

I've seen people level 65 and even 70+, it all depends how much you do. Best way to level up is to sleep as much as possible.

You know, I'm thinking the vendor glitch might have been intentional. If you think about it, every merchant, even random shopowners who carry no weapons, all carry at least one stash of bullets. Why would they do this if not to enable the "glitch" which could be a hidden feature and not a bug?

I think it's thrown in there to help out construction fans. If you want to focus heavily on settlements and actually building them into walled towns, you're going to go through a shit-ton of resources, far more than you'd ever use to max out all of your weapons and armor throughout the game. Especially steel - aside from Sanctuary there just aren't enough wrecked cars or barrels in each settlement area to build comprehensive walls and defenses. In the absence of the vendor glitch, this would require many, many hours of tedious scavenging.

I have about ten walled towns at this point, and it would have taken me at least a dozen more hours to do it if I couldn't just glitch shipments of steel, circuitry, copper, adhesive, etc from the Diamond City vendors.

I haven't purchased weapons or armor with the glitch though. Those items are 100% my own non-glitching acquisitions.

Arjen

Awesome place, I did it at lvl39. Used most of my ammo.

Raxus

There is a
Bobblehead and magazine in the mines as well.

lt519

Did you get the
bobblehead
there? It was by one of the terminals. Probably my favorite dungeon in the game so far, thought I was in for a quick loot search and it turned into this awesome creepy mini story.

So for a few hours now I have been using just one outfit, the Spike Armor but lately I've been finding really good armor pieces that eventually provide me with better damage protection. But I need good clothing underneath. Any recommendations? There are some Raider leathers here and there but stats wise not too good. Where to find some good stuff?

Up your difficulty and get legendary drops against Raiders and Gunners. You'll find gear that has perks that help tremendously. I have a left arm piece with a 10% VATS bonus and upgraded aiming stability, a right leg with +2 to luck, and a bunch of other pieces with great stuff. By this point I have complete sets of specialized armor for stealth assaults, Super Mutant assaults (some armor pieces have bonus defense stats against certain types of enemies), bug hunts, Raider assaults, heavily radiated areas, and missions where I'm going to take lots of energy weapon fire. Almost all from legendary drops.

Gah, I'm on the Spoils of War quest and when I take the elevator back up to the main lobby of the Mass Fusion building it just won't stop going up. Infinite loading screen.

I'm talking literally, because when I jump around the elevator in my power armor the camera clips through the elevator walls. There's a literal loading screen there.

RemissionAuthor

Neo Member
The leveling is pretty insane in this game. I'm level 42, I've only done 1 main mission. Most, I'd say at least 25-30, levels came only from settlement building.

Raxus

I have to get this off my chest. Why is it so fucking hard to hit super mutants in VATS? It should be like aiming for a broadside of a barn. I can get right up to them and still not get 95 percent for headshots.

Rhaknar

The Steam equivalent of the drunk friend who keeps offering to pay your tab all night.

im still leveling as fast as ever up to 60 (which im now, 60 and half)

Did you get the
bobblehead
there? It was by one of the terminals. Probably my favorite dungeon in the game so far, thought I was in for a quick loot search and it turned into this awesome creepy mini story.

fuck no I didnt. shit will it be repopulated now? >_> I guess thats why it didnt mark as cleared

The leveling is pretty insane in this game. I'm level 42, I've only done 1 main mission. Most, I'd say at least 25-30, levels came only from settle building.

I've been heavily settlement focused so far; it's probably about half of my game time. I do all of the "clear out these Raiders/mutants/bugs threatening the settlement" missions too.

The funniest one was a kidnapping in Sanctuary. In my game, Sanctuary is a metal-walled fortress with about 99 defense, turrets encircling the entire perimeter, guard towers staffed with riflemen, and an artillery piece. And somehow some mook Raiders came in and kidnapped one of my settlers? I call bullshit on that. I did, however, take great pleasure in calling down an artillery strike on that Raider camp, especially with the "+25, +25, +25" exp. notifications that followed.

You do not mess with Sanctuary in my game world. We will kill each and every one of you.

ckohler

im still leveling as fast as ever up to 60 (which im now, 60 and half)

Out of curiosity: Do you have a high INT? Do you have the Idiot Savant perk? How many hours have you played? And, have you beat the story yet?

Just curious how long it took you to get to 60.

Rhaknar

Out of curiosity: Do you have a high INT? Do you have the Idiot Savant perk? How many hours have you played? And, have you beat the story yet?

Just curious how long it took you to get to 60.

9 INT and 3 points in savant (because at the time I was in that "welp got fuck all else to get, why not, its still a buff)

and I have 95 hours acording to steam, less acording to the save (which doesnt account for deaths / reloads so)

Mathaou

legacy of cane
I'm almost done with my first build which was essentially a mary sue - next build is melee only max strength, endurance, and agility. It's gonna be fun.

Rhaknar

for those that finished or have been exploring a lot, any noteable places to visit that I might have missed?

I already went back to the
crashed USS Constitution
for example, I went back to Diamond City for the
Mayor
sidequest that happens after you finish the game too

Hawkian

The Cryptarch's Bane
You know, I'm thinking the vendor glitch might have been intentional. If you think about it, every merchant, even random shopowners who carry no weapons, all carry at least one stash of bullets. Why would they do this if not to enable the "glitch" which could be a hidden feature and not a bug?

I think it's thrown in there to help out construction fans. If you want to focus heavily on settlements and actually building them into walled towns, you're going to go through a shit-ton of resources, far more than you'd ever use to max out all of your weapons and armor throughout the game. Especially steel - aside from Sanctuary there just aren't enough wrecked cars or barrels in each settlement area to build comprehensive walls and defenses. In the absence of the vendor glitch, this would require many, many hours of tedious scavenging.

I have about ten walled towns at this point, and it would have taken me at least a dozen more hours to do it if I couldn't just glitch shipments of steel, circuitry, copper, adhesive, etc from the Diamond City vendors.

I haven't purchased weapons or armor with the glitch though. Those items are 100% my own non-glitching acquisitions.
No way, at all. You're suggesting that unlimited money at any vendor is an intended feature? The fixed cap inventories of the vendors has been something that I have had to contend with for my playstyle, which includes me always having a lot to sell, and that definitely feels intended. There was even a comic I found that permanently increased their buying power.

No way, at all. You're suggesting that unlimited money at any vendor is an intended feature? The fixed cap inventories of the vendors has been something that I have had to contend with for my playstyle, which includes me always having a lot to sell, and that definitely feels intended. There was even a comic I found that permanently increased their buying power.

Thing is it's not really unlimited money. Most of them are only carrying 200-300 caps. What you really get out of it is inventory, specifically their entire supply of junk like hot plates and microscopes, which really helps settlement-building.

RemissionAuthor

Neo Member
I've been heavily settlement focused so far; it's probably about half of my game time. I do all of the "clear out these Raiders/mutants/bugs threatening the settlement" missions too.

The funniest one was a kidnapping in Sanctuary. In my game, Sanctuary is a metal-walled fortress with about 99 defense, turrets encircling the entire perimeter, guard towers staffed with riflemen, and an artillery piece. And somehow some mook Raiders came in and kidnapped one of my settlers? I call bullshit on that. I did, however, take great pleasure in calling down an artillery strike on that Raider camp, especially with the "+25, +25, +25" exp. notifications that followed.

You do not mess with Sanctuary in my game world. We will kill each and every one of you.

Artillery? Man I need to do some more missions. However, Yep Sanctuary is untouchable 200+ defense (missile turrets, laser turrets, and shotgun turrets) and only one possible entrance.

N° 2048

In Skyrim there were a lot of places that couldn't show up as cleared, so I doubt they all can here.

This is going to drive me mad. I guess I'll start writing down areas I've cleared.
I know some won't show as cleared because a mission takes place there later.

Unless anyone has more info?

Artillery? Man I need to do some more missions. However, Yep Sanctuary is untouchable 200+ defense (missile turrets, laser turrets, and shotgun turrets) and only one possible entrance.

Mild spoiler:

Do the Minutemen missions for Preston up to the Castle raid. Once you've taken back the Castle from Mirelurks, you help an old female soldier named Ronnie Shaw break into the Castle's armory. Here you can find some cool weapons as well as the all-important artillery schematic, which lets you build an artillery piece at any settlement. Then you can throw special smoke grenades at a target area, and in about 20-30 seconds your artillery will rain fire and death on that position. The artillery has to be in range, but if you have a lot of settlements spread around the map, you'll usually have one in range. It only works against outdoor enemy positions though.

dlauv

100+ right now and I feel like things are coming down to the wire.

The game has really borked mission flags that keep taking me out of it, with characters saying I did things that I didn't. And the MC doesn't seem to have any realistic/ideal options for bouncing the game's ideas off of other characters, which only mattered insofar as the story gets more complex. It seems like MC directly avoids practical thought when it matters most, unlike something like Witcher 3. But I mean, it's Bethesda, so it's kind of way to obvious to bother examining the chasm of divide between those games' dialogue systems.

That said, definitely enjoying the story more than FO3's main story, and far more than Skyrim's. Dialogue options leave me wanting as always, and it feels like Bethesda doesn't have the writing chops to handle the weight of so many opposing philosophical angles. It leaves me with more New Vegas nostalgia the deeper I get. It's really only getting more frustrating the further the story goes. Sidequests are mostly fine because they're not so complex.

The game is really fine otherwise, of course. I couldn't ask for too much more out of the combat beyond expected iteration and polish: squeezing off a bit of my suppressed, auto 10mm is fantastic; but, the melee could have used the same polish. OTOH, no one has first-person melee figured out yet I guess (Bloodlines knew to avoid it altogether lol). Customization is through the roof and I see many ways they can expand on this system (hopefully through DLC).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom