• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 PC Ultra screenshots

It's still not a pretty game by any stretch of imagination... but when has Fallout ever been about graphics? Seriously, these games were never really high on the visual wow factor. The one nice thing I can say about FallOut 4 is that the game makes really nice use of colour. Everything still looks drab, but not in a monotone kind of way.

Dear modding community, PS button prompts mod. Pretty please and thanks. Would be a simpler task for Bethesda, but I doubt they'd go through the trouble.

Here's to hoping that the Gameworks rumor is true.

Typically Gameworks features are subtle - yet extremely taxing on your hardware. The payoff is almost never worth it. Still. It's cool to tinker with that stuff.

packy34

Dear modding community, PS button prompts mod. Pretty please and thanks. Would be a simpler task for Bethesda, but I doubt they'd go through the trouble.

They did it for MGSV and that's much harder to mod. Should be one of the first things you see available.

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
These screens are very underwhelming.

But who plays Bethesda games for their graphics?
After playing Skyrim with maxed RealVision ENB and a bunch of other awesome texture/water/lighting mods I simply can't play the game without them cuz it looks by a hundred miles better with them and absolutely terrible and lifeless without them. And that I can tell you as a man who don't even care about graphics that much in RPGs and who have played Skyrim without mods for 80 hours after lauch in 2011 (not to mention that I did not installed any mods for Morrowind or Oblivion at all before that).

Here's just a few examples of how the game looks with those mods (these are not even the best examples that I have - I don't have access to my PC right now cuz I am at work):

9pyqbBZ.jpg

ijgxmkR.jpg

The game even feels a lot better in terms of overall atmosphere with such attention to detail. And believe me, when you see a dragon coming at you and those sun shafts are refracted by each movement your heart is just stops beating and your jaw is liing on the floor. That's how 2015 game from Bethesda shoul look and feel like in my opinion.

Why are people upset that a Bethesda game which started development during last-gen and is wildly regarded as one of the most modder friendly franchises doesn't set the standards for open world visuals at vanilla release?

Are we supposed to be rioting because it's going to be a few months before we can start using Fallout 4 as a screenshot simulator instead of an open world FPS/RPG?

I have no horse in this race as I don't care for Fallout franchise (just Elder Scrolls) but my two cents, people just were expecting a bigger visual leap.

We've been blessed with open world games like TW3 and MGS V now which excel in the graphics department so a heavily anticipated Fallout game not matching up to those games in some sense is disappointing.

Of course the game does look alright and pretty in spots, but that's just it, all it is is alright!

I'm surprised the topic has ballooned this much overall as I believed we all played Bethesda games for the world building, quests etc, and took the visuals and janky animations as par for the course

gossi

After playing Skyrim with maxed RealVision ENB and a bunch of other awesome texture/water/lighting mods I simply can't play the game without them cuz it looks by a hundred miles better with them and absolutely terrible and lifeless without them. And that I can tell you as a man who don't even care about graphics that much in RPGs an who played Skyrim without mods for 80 hours after lauch in 2011 (not to mention that I did not installed any mods for Morrowind or Oblivion at all).

You simply can play if you played Skyrim for 80 hours without mods.

Anyone want to see anything specific from the final build of the game other than your normal gameplay videos; what is everyone interested in? Sorry, not really a fan so can't even tell what they are myself.

Weather changes/effects. Maybe a few shots of the low/med/high/ultra settings in the same areas as PS4 screens would be great.

A performance counter would be much appreciated too. Curious as to seeing how much this is/isn't pushing a PC.

As much as I'm disappointed with Fallout 4 visually, I can't help but think that it's a bit unfair to compare it to modded Skyrim/New Vegas/FO3. Fallout 3, New Vegas and to a slightly lesser extent Skyrim looked like ass on my 360. Even on PC, the vanilla versions of these games look terrible.

This is how I remember New Vegas looking. Fallout 4, while not nearly as stunning as the rest of the AAA games I'm buying this winter, looks far, far better.

daxy

As much as I'm disappointed with Fallout 4 visually, I can't help but think that it's a bit unfair to compare it to modded Skyrim/New Vegas/FO3. Fallout 3, New Vegas and to a slightly lesser extent Skyrim looked like ass on my 360. Even on PC, the vanilla versions of these games look terrible.

This is how I remember New Vegas looking. Fallout 4, while not nearly as stunning as the rest of the AAA games I'm buying this winter, looks far, far better.

Seeing these makes me glad I didn't opt for replaying New Vegas in anticipation of FO4. I thought it looked better than that. Almost forgot how damn yellow everything was! Glad FO4 is more colorful in that regard, as opposed to how monotone 3/NV were.

eyeless

i have been avoiding everything about this game, haven't even looked at the pics in the op, do we know if a 970 will max this game with 60fps at 1080p? is there any info like that out there?

Ploid 3.0

Okay then. Hopefully somebody makes you the mods so you can play.

And they will. Mods make Bethesda games so good. The act of tailoring the looks and the mechanics to fit what you want to do is a game in and of itself, and it usually looks drop dead gorgeous. I just hope Bethesda don't find a way to charge for every mod as if it's dlc. If the modders get a fair deal that's good, but I will just have to wait even longer and only get the mods that are really worth buying (word of mouth reviews).

Trace

Banned
Even if it's moddable, I still dislike playing 3 and NV. They just feel like they are about to crash at any given moment. Yes, I liked NV, and disliked FO3, but as time goes on those games get rougher and rougher. There are older games than FO3, and NV that hold up way better.

FO3 does actually crash at any moment for me. Really hoping FO4 doesn't have that problem haha

Agent_4Seven

Tears of Nintendo
Okay then. Hopefully somebody makes you the mods so you can play.
I prefer to wait and see if those are legit PC screens (something tells me that they are not, at least not with ultra settings - more like high or medium). F4 looks okay at best by today standards, well, at least in terms of lighting quality, but everything else is even worse than F3/NV, I mean, texture work, obviously. Oh and I see absolutely no reason to have GTX 780 or R9 290X cuz the game does not even look that better to require GPU with 3 or 4 GB VRAM - 2 GB at best with such visuals in 1080p.

The question is if they have overhauled Gamebyro to use PBR or not.

If the renderer is PBR, we should see some really cool graphical mods over the next few years. Less cool if it's just using the traditional diff/spec/norm.

At first I was like "what are these people excited for this doesn't look good at all", but then after seeing previous Bethesda games: "F4 looks great!"

It looks like what I expected the console version to look like. A bit underwhelming, but I guess plenty of people had warned me. It won't dissuade me from getting the game, as the baseline quality of underwhelming looking games has been more than fine for more than a decade. I will wait half a year to a year though so most of the also expected bugs are ironed out, and mods have picked up some of the slack.

tuxfool

Banned
The question is if they have overhauled Gamebyro to use PBR or not.

If the renderer is PBR, we should see some really cool graphical mods over the next few years. Less cool if it's just using the traditional diff/spec/norm.

They say it is PBR, but the screenshots all show it to be really badly employed. Material looks somewhat haphazard, with too much having that plasticky diff/spec look.

Truth of the matter is that badly done PBR isn't all that different from non-PBR (and vice versa). The major difference is that PBR enforces consistency which isn't apparent in those images.

Top Bottom