• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Fallout 4 players pissed that Next-Gen Update completely broke mods, corrupted saves, full of glitches

Draugoth

Gold Member
fallout-4-mod-1714070764123.jpg

Many mods have been impacted by the update, including the all-too-useful Fallout 4 Script Extender (F4SE). As explained on its Nexus Mods page, F4SE is a foundational modding resource that extends scripting capabilities without permanent side effects. A wide variety of mods rely on the project to work at all, so without it, modifying Fallout 4 gets a lot more complicated.

“The 2024-04-25 Fallout 4 update (1.10.980 and later) has broken F4SE and the rest of the native code modding scene similarly to Skyrim's ‘Anniversary Edition’ patch,” F4SE developer ianpatt said in a post. “I am working on an update and cannot currently offer a timeline for its availability, nor whether there will be any critical technical issues that would block an update. Do not email with questions.”

In short, the Fallout 4 next-gen update is a buggy, broken mess.

Players worldwide are experiencing all kinds of issues with the Fallout 4 next-gen update, ranging from broken mod load orders to corrupted saves (some of which have been running for hundreds of hours). PC players are complaining that ultrawide support, a new feature added with the next-gen update, doesn’t work properly, and in the densest areas of the game, the frame rate is still experiencing drawbacks.

Users on Steam Deck have reported having their settings wiped by the update, which is another issue. Also, the creators of Fallout London recently revealed that the sudden drop of the next-gen upgrade has thrown their project into disarray, forcing them to postpone it mere days before it was due to be released.

via IGN

Astray

In case you were wondering, this is why Microsoft was and is unable to beat Sony/Nintendo. Both had highly successful new installments of their franchises (TLOU/Mario) ready to come out when the transmedia pieces hit big and they sold tons of copies at full price.

Meanwhile this FO patch (which by itself wouldn't have been enough anyways) took 2 years to come out, missed the show's v. successful launch by a couple of weeks, and it came out in this state. Literally failing on all counts.

This reminds me of when TNA was competing with WWE in the mid-2000s, completely awful company that never managed to compete even when fortune somehow went their way.

mitch1971

This might sound sarcastic, but is Bethesda studio just full of old crusty programmers that are pissed that everyone has moved on from old computer languages and just sit in the office angrily writing on computers as old and dusty as them, complaining about this engine called unreal something or other. Their engine is so out of date, the bugs are laughable, and it happens all the time. They seem to just get away with releasing game after game and people say 'oh bethesda you've done it again you silly, silly moo'.

Braag

This might sound sarcastic, but is Bethesda studio just full of old crusty programmers that are pissed that everyone has moved on from old computer languages and just sit in the office angrily writing on computers as old and dusty as them, complaining about this engine called unreal something or other. Their engine is so out of date, the bugs are laughable, and it happens all the time. They seem to just get away with releasing game after game and people say 'oh bethesda you've done it again you silly, silly moo'.
This is the feeling I'm getting. Everything from their tech to many design elements just feel like they are stuck in the past and refuse to push things forward.

Punished Miku

Gold Member
This is the feeling I'm getting. Everything from their tech to many design elements just feel like they are stuck in the past and refuse to push things forward.
I think Todd Howard has his hands full just trying to finish Elder Scrolls and Fallout 5 in the next decade, if they don't change engines at all.

I think they should have a small team that plans for some kind of new engine with similar features in like 10 years when Howard retires. Really no point changing engines until then. You'd lose more than you gain honestly.

adamsapple

Or is it just one of Phil's balls in my throat?
Hate to be 'that guy', but it's been working fine since the update for me (Series X).

Granted I've only played the opening part up to an hour or so.

RoboFu

One of the green rats
Old computer languages? lol all these new script languages are based off C. Just for dumber people .😱

GHG

Honesty they shouldn't have bothered.

More people were interested in playing Fallout London than whatever this new patch "adds".

The game shouldn't have a mandatory update on PC. Upgrade the console version, that's okay, but leave the PC guys a choice.

If it can't be fixed then someone is ready to create a rollback patch and release it on nexus to bring back mod compatibility for everything that's already out there.

Last edited:

diffusionx

Gold Member

I feel like up to Starfield's release, people were still defending Bethesda for using Gamebryo. But that game came out and felt so out of date, was so old and crusty, the small zones and loading times feel PS2-tier, that people were like, yea this isn't working anymore.

But, we will see what they do with the next game, which I am sure they already started working on to some extent.

Jaybe

Honesty they shouldn't have bothered.

More people were interested in playing Fallout London than whatever this new patch "adds".

I was thinking the same regarding the PC version. The patch seems to do little to improve the game, and they just broke many mods plus pushed back the Fallout London release. They should have left the mature PC version as-is, and only released the current-gen PS5 and XS versions.

Hugare

I feel like up to Starfield's release, people were still defending Bethesda for using Gamebryo. But that game came out and felt so out of date, was so old and crusty, the small zones and loading times feel PS2-tier, that people were like, yea this isn't working anymore.

But, we will see what they do with the next game, which I am sure they already started working on to some extent.
They've already mentioned that they will be using the same engine for ES VI

And changing engines is something only possible in pre production. I doubt that they will change it since it hasnt been changed thus far.

So we will be in for a ride on ES VI too

Gojiira

The laziest next gen update by far, outside of bug ‘fixes’ its literally just a native port…I cant believe it took them 2 YEARS to once again do below even the bare minimum…
There really should have been more to show for it, and the new ‘content’ which was done 4 years ago does not count…Oh well its the worst mainline entry so it retains that dubious honour

Eh, I don’t know. Give me an old crusty programmer over a gen z. Games have gotten more and more bugs over the years and it’s not because of the old guys.

King Dazzar

The OP texture loading glitch in the quarry was always there. Some issues are just Bethesda's clunky engine as always. And they aint ever going to get fixed.

I'm glad they have made it a native PS5 version and added a performance option, whilst retaining a high resolution. Disappointed that they didnt add HDR, disappointed that they didnt do anything with haptics and triggers. Disappointed that the creation club remains awful. Disappointed that age old problems of complete reinstalls to ensure creation club content is wiped are still a thing. Disappointed to hear of people getting crashes without any mods installed and on a fresh save.

But I do love Fallout 4 and grateful that this was free. But yeah...

Last edited:

T4keD0wN

The patch should have been console exclusive or at the very least a new app on steam. Doesnt really affect anyone who uses f4se to launch the game and doesnt have auto updates enabled anyway.

Last edited:
The mod complaints are kinda silly tbh. Fallout 76's mods are broken with every single update but the mod author is usually on top of it.

The real issue here is the lack of bug fixes (two of the Reddit links in the OP are LONG-standing bugs that should have been fixed with this update), introducing new bugs (the exclamation point thrower in the OP), and barebones next-gen "upgrades".

The ultrawide support is apparently just an .ini edit that stretches all HUD elements:

Like I said in the other thread, I honestly feel bad for people that were looking forward to this update to jump back in. All of the game's bugs are well documented by this point and Bethesda did absolutely nothing to try to fix them. They did the absolute bare minimum.... the players deserve better.

Last edited:

Trogdor1123

I’m monkeyed around with it for just a few minutes last night on ps5. First impressions are good. The 60fps is pretty fantastic. I like it a lot.

No real major bugs yet but it did take over a minute to load the first entrance to the vault at the start of the game.

None of my mods carried over and none show up as possible additions.

I’m thinking about buying it on pc (I actually already have it on pc but no dlc) for more mod support and options.

Beechos

Kinda not surprised aren't these unofficial mods not from bethesda? They can't guarantee how the game will react to them usually theres even a disclaimer for mods that you use at your own risk. Now if the main game is broken like this or any of the official dlc.

Mephisto40

As much as it's disappointing a lot of people are losing part of the experience with this game, I am finding it rather funny how many of these "modders" seem to think it's Bethesdas job to get their mods working properly

I can't imagine modders or end users acting like this 20 years ago if a developer pushed out an update that broke their unofficial mod, they would just get to work fixing it themselves, not crying on the internet about it

People that create these mods and dedicate their life to making and updating these mods…… will always remind me of that Seinfeld episode where “Kramer goes to work”.

“But I don’t even really work here”

GymWolf

And people are surprised by this? :lollipop_squinting:

It's like being surprised that the next ubisoft game is gonna have 35 different editions at launch.

Last edited:

Wildebeest

What did they do anyway? Just run ESRGAN 4x on all the textures and tell you that you are getting something amazing for free?

Top Bottom